PDA

View Full Version : Deuter packers?

Morpheus
03-03-2009, 19:37
Just ordered a Deuter ACT Zero 60 + 10. Wgt 3.1 lbs. Anybody here using Deuter packs for week or longer hikes? Trailspace reviews were excellent; just wondering what anybody here thinks.

dmax
03-03-2009, 19:40
Be sure to give us a review of this pack after you try it out. I've been deciding on this pack or the osprey exos 58. Thanks.

Morpheus
03-03-2009, 20:15
You got it. Hot Springs to Erwin. Late April.

Cabin Fever
03-03-2009, 23:13
I used my Deuter day pack for the first time last weekend and I believe they have covered everything. Built in rainfly, good pockets and their suspension is awesome. I may get a big Deuter pack in the future.

grizzlyadam
03-03-2009, 23:26
I used a Deuter Futura 42 for about 750 miles on the AT in 2002. Great pack back then and i'm sure they're even better now....

EMAN
03-04-2009, 00:02
Used my ACT Zero light (or something like that) for several short, 2-3 day trips. I really liked it but I could not seem to get the adjustable suspension adjusted so that it would sit right on my back. The top part sort of made this...bulge...that rubbed my spine. Drove me nuts.
And I didn't like the triangular shaped top pocket (I hope I'm thinking of the correct pack here. I went through 3 or 4 before settling on my GoLite Quest.). I'm one of those knuckleheads who puts his water in the top pocket and I could not make even a 2 liter Platypus fit if it was remotely full. This of course could have been cured by putting the Platypus where the pack was designed for it (see reference to knucklehead).

Mighty Mouse
03-04-2009, 01:19
Last year, I carried a Deuter Aircontact Zero and loved it. It is too large in volume for me now. I've learned to lighten up. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Deuter though.

rpenczek
03-04-2009, 10:45
My 14 year old son carries an Air Contact Lite 65+10. It weighs in at 3 pounds 11 ounces. He loves this pack and while its a bit big (I have trained him to pack small and lite), it provides him space to carry his share of the bit oversized crew gear (he is a Boy Scout).

This pack is the "middle" version of Deuter's suspension systems and I would compare it to my GG Nimbus Meridian (my plug goes in for this pack). The Deuter's suspension is a little less substantial than my Gregory Whitney and much more support (waist belt) than a Gregory Z55.

It has taken some abuse (he is a kid) and has maybe eight or ten backpacking trips and countless "car campouts" with no signs of ware.

I really like the design of this pack because it is very very adjustable from the shortest of backs to the longest. In fact, I am not sure I have seen any other internal frame pack (maybe a Kelty???) that is as adjustable as a Deuter. So, when buying for a kid, you get a long window of usage. Heck, maybe I will never have to buy him another pack.

JAK
03-04-2009, 10:53
I've heard the Deuter Junior is a good pack for strong kids that can and want to carry some weight. My daughter doesn't fit that category, since she is barely 50 pounds now at age 9. I don't think kids should carry more than half their height squared, i.e. 8 pounds for a 4' kid, 12.5 pounds for a 5' kid, but for those that do, I have heard the Deuter Juniour is a good pack. That's what Sarbars kid used, and he did lots and lots of miles, and she said it was a good choice. It would be nice if they made ultralight packs for kids. I have a 10oz daypack I might modify for Margaret, but I still carry her heavy stuff. I am more interested in her hiking 20km days than carrying 20 pounds.

JAK
03-04-2009, 11:07
Actually it was the Deuter Fox she had for her son I think. Looking at their site the do make some smaller lighter packs for kids also. I might get one for my daughter as I think the L.L.Bean school packs are too big and heavy.

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=fox30&sub=family&tert=family

Deuter Kids Packs
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/family.php?tert=family

Fox 30 = 39oz 2050ci for 10-17" torso
Climber = 28oz 1350ci for 10-16" torso
Junior = 15oz 1100ci for smaller kids
Ultrabike = 11oz 600ci for smaller kids

Nice to see someone making lighter packs for kids.

kanga
03-04-2009, 11:15
i bought a deuter daypack last year and use it for week long trips in the summer. i absolutely love it. if i didn't love my jade 60 more, i'd buy a bigger deuter for winter hiking.

Alligator
03-04-2009, 11:24
I've heard the Deuter Junior is a good pack for strong kids that can and want to carry some weight. My daughter doesn't fit that category, since she is barely 50 pounds now at age 9. I don't think kids should carry more than half their height squared, i.e. 8 pounds for a 4' kid, 12.5 pounds for a 5' kid, but for those that do, I have heard the Deuter Juniour is a good pack. That's what Sarbars kid used, and he did lots and lots of miles, and she said it was a good choice. It would be nice if they made ultralight packs for kids. I have a 10oz daypack I might modify for Margaret, but I still carry her heavy stuff. I am more interested in her hiking 20km days than carrying 20 pounds.
What kind of math are you doing there;)?(1/2H)^2? You'd have a six foot kid carrying 9 pounds.

JAK
03-04-2009, 11:27
No. 18 pounds. Which is plenty if they are still a kid.

JAK
03-04-2009, 11:29
My daughter carries a scary ammount of weight to school sometimes, and likes to sling it over just one shoulder. I give her heck and we talk about it. She's getting better.

Alligator
03-04-2009, 11:31
half their height squared=(.5*H)^2? Did you mean [(0.5*H)^2]*2?

JAK
03-04-2009, 11:40
Ah. Yeah you're right. I meant 0.5(H^2). Not sure how to say that.

Perhaps (H^2)/2

height squared over two

kanga
03-04-2009, 11:48
you two quit it! my eyes are bleeding.

Alligator
03-04-2009, 11:56
Ahh, I see how you were thinking. I think it would be said, half of the squared height.

Anyway, I have a Deuter Fox for my son that I bought after reading Sarbar's recommendations. It was a Christmas present, so it hasn't been out yet. It fits my five year old. It is well made though and very adjustable. Probably a little small for the OP though, but eventually it will get used for a week long trip!

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 12:04
I have the Deuter 60 + 10 Act Zer0. It is my favorite pack. Light, carries all I need, fits good..... I've got about 300 miles on mine. The only thing I did was replace the hipbelt buckle. It broke a tine on one side. The other side held for three days. I put a heavier duty buckle on it. No problem.

JAK
03-04-2009, 12:06
My daughter is already 9, but only 50" tall, maybe 51" now, but still not much over 50#, maybe 55#. I'll have to check again. lol. It seems crazy getting her a pack heavier than my Jam2. I might get her the Deuter Junior. It looks pretty good. and not to heavy. I'll ask her what she thinks. If I get another good long hike with her its worth it. :)

I agree I think the OP was looking for an adult pack. Sorry to hijack.

sarbar
03-04-2009, 12:22
Love Deuter packs! And yes, Ford had a Deuter Fox 30 for a number of years :) He really liked it and it wore well. When he outgrew it, I sold it for a tidy sum - it still looked new, even after all the miles he did with it.

I use a Deuter Futura Zero 40 SL (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=futuraZero40SL&sub=hiking&tert=futuraZero) as my "go to" pack for long days and overnights (I have fit 3 days worth into it). It holds 2450 ci, but yeah, you can cram even more if needed and holds up to 30 lbs.

It is one of the few packs that doesn't hurt my lower back. Rides perfectly, hugs me.

I have been considering though on getting a Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=ACT-Lite-6010SL&sub=trekking&tert=aircontactLite) for ladies. I have times where I carry a lot of gear (my husband carries so much camera gear I carry tent, food, etc for us). It fits like a dream and goes to 45 lbs.

I am considering picking Ford up the mens version of the Deuter Futra Zero 50 (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=futuraZero50&sub=hiking&tert=futuraZero) as his overnight pack or may just let him use my 40.

But while they are very good packs they are not for all backs - some people just hate how they ride.

Jak, those 20KM days are easy :D I am trying to get the boy past a 15 mile day (24KM). I think he can do it - my goal this year is to do my first 30 miler - and I want him with me (he is tall and skinny, made for trail running). The boy is now within 1/2" of me. Sigh!

Sirclimbsalot
03-09-2009, 13:24
I just joined this forum and was glad to find this post. :) I posted at BPL about this pack and got very little feedback. I'm considering the REI Flash 65 vs the Deuter ACT Zero 60 + 10, possibly a Go Lite Quest also.

I need something that will carry 40lbs comfortably for 6+ dayclimbing trips. Has anyone compared these 2 packs?

Last year, I bought a Mountain Hardware South Col and A Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. I compared them and kept the South Col as it had slightly more capacity and was more adjustable. However, I was very impressed with some of the features and the build quality of the Deuter. It seems that Deuter is really an undiscovered great pack maker...

So, if you had to carry 40lbs and alpine climbing gear, which pack would you want...Deuter, REI, or Go Lite?

Thanks,
Brian J

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 13:43
...It seems that Deuter is really an undiscovered great pack maker...

They're not as well known in the US (yet) as many other manufacturers, but they are a major player in Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. I don't own one but they appear to be make quality stuff and get consistently good reviews.

kanga
03-09-2009, 13:57
deuter's been around for years and years. americans in general are so concerned with brand names that they don't like to go outside of their box.

sarbar
03-09-2009, 22:59
I just joined this forum and was glad to find this post. :) I posted at BPL about this pack and got very little feedback. I'm considering the REI Flash 65 vs the Deuter ACT Zero 60 + 10, possibly a Go Lite Quest also.

I need something that will carry 40lbs comfortably for 6+ dayclimbing trips. Has anyone compared these 2 packs?

Last year, I bought a Mountain Hardware South Col and A Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. I compared them and kept the South Col as it had slightly more capacity and was more adjustable. However, I was very impressed with some of the features and the build quality of the Deuter. It seems that Deuter is really an undiscovered great pack maker...

So, if you had to carry 40lbs and alpine climbing gear, which pack would you want...Deuter, REI, or Go Lite?

Thanks,
Brian J

Deuter. The fit and weight bearing is miles above REI's, as well is how it will wear after hours of trail time. Go Lite is not one I would be using for more abusive situations on the pack.

Deuter does a good job of cutting weight where it won't lead to fabric blowouts. I have seen a number of the REI ones get stretched then blown out on the seams.

Alli
03-15-2009, 00:15
I'm looking at the ACT Zero SL (women's specific). I was nervous about an unknown brand but you guys have convinced me. Thanks!

The Phoenix
04-01-2009, 15:07
best packs I've ever used. Just don't order it from outdoorgb.com!!!

Hawkeye P
04-01-2009, 15:17
First time poster. Just throwing in my two cents. I just picked up a deuter 50+10 off ebay for $75 including shipping. Took it out for a quick weekend run and love it.

Secret Squirrel
11-18-2009, 15:04
Over the last 2 years I have purchased and returned at least 5 packs. I have gone back to my Deuter 65 AirContact Lite 65-10. I kept trying lighter packs, because this one weighs 3.5 lbs. I have decided the extra weight is worth it given the comfortable fit and outstanding construction.

bus
01-13-2010, 16:17
just purchased the pack the OP has. No time yet to test it out. Hopefully later this month. I wore it in the store with about 35 lbs of mystery stuff sack weight. Felt good. I was fortunate enough to have it 'fitted' to me by a Deuter user, so, that helped.

will post back as well after it gets its inaugural run (hike).

slugger
01-13-2010, 16:34
OP, I look forward to your review I plan on getting the 65+10 for my thru.

Chillfactor
01-13-2010, 17:54
I have the ACT lite 45+10 SL and it served me well hiking Shenandoah NP. I had enough room, it was light, hugged my body, and very durable. Perfect for me and comfortable. I only had summer clothes, so if I hike a section in April I'm thinking about the ACT Zero 55+10 SL for a little extra room. The ATC Zero material doesn't seem as durable. It's all microrip / ripstop nylon. My old one is tough as nails. Any opinions on that?
Also, there's a new model that I saw in REI. An ACT lite 60+10 SL with a shovel pocket instead of the shockcord.

bus
01-14-2010, 14:29
My tent and bag arrived yesterday,so, I loaded them in my pack, added some more clothes and various things for wait, and took the dog on his daily 2 mile walk. Pack felt good, still a lot room.

Cant wait to get it on the trail

seminole
01-14-2010, 14:38
300+ miles on my 60 + 10 ACT Zero in 2009. It did take 2 trips to get it adjusted just right. My go to for multi night trips.

Press
01-14-2010, 22:06
Deuter Futura 32 AC I have is awesome. A little too small for me, I am about 6-1, but I have jammed and hung enough stuff on and in it for a couple nights out. Also is my day pack. The back spring thing really works for keeping your back cool in summer.

bus
03-30-2010, 14:34
Have been on a few overnighters with this bag. Love it. Shoulder straps are really comfortable. Plenty of room inside. Seems to be pretty durable. Feels really comfortable on. Not sure if I will develop a desire for a sleeping bag separate compartment as this doesnt have one. As of now I am fine without it-helps keep the weight down.