PDA

View Full Version : Professional Backpacker!

Brett
03-03-2009, 23:17
So what kind of jobs/careers are out there where you could be in a backpacking enviorment? For example: Guide/camp support for photographers or researchers going into various wilderness areas.

Do any of yall have any input? thanks!

the goat
03-03-2009, 23:19
ridgerunner.

nps ranger. (although many of them spend more time in offices than city dwellers).

The Weasel
03-03-2009, 23:23
Backcountry Ranger (USPS)
NOLS/Outward Bound
Philmont (Boy Scouts) leaders
Coyote (great pay, short life)

TW

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2009, 23:23
ridgerunner.

nps ranger. (although many of them spend more time in offices than city dwellers).

Ridgerunner is a paying job?

Agree on the ranger statement. The best way not to be able to do something that is normally recreational is to become a professional at it--ask any club pro at a golf course.

modiyooch
03-03-2009, 23:24
the ridgerunner gets paid to backpack, from what I understand.

modiyooch
03-03-2009, 23:30
from the atc website:

ATC Ridgerunners are assigned to hike specific sections of the A.T., while Caretakers remain at specific overnight sites. They must be able to work independently, with minimal supervision, as well as cooperatively as a member of a team.
SEASON/PAY/TRAINING

All positions are seasonal and vary in length. Wages vary according to positions and individual qualifications. The pay is competitive, and most positions include room and board.

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2009, 23:32
Yeah, you guys are right. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.4821595/k.1469/Seasonal_EmploymentRidgerunners_Caretakers.htm
I knew that most caretakers were paying jobs, but I thought ridgerunners were mostly volunteers for some reason. Learned something.

Brett
03-03-2009, 23:33
NOLS/Outward Bound
Philmont (Boy Scouts) leaders

TW

LOL! Yeah im in a good location for that position.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2009, 23:53
Ranger

snowhoe
03-04-2009, 00:00
well u live in tx how about a cowboy?

hootyhoo
03-04-2009, 09:41

TW

Coyote- explain?

Ranger with the USPS - is that the postal sevice?
I used to want to be a Ranger - but now that I am older I would never want to participate in any form of US Gov activity. US Gov sucks.

Master or Slave - now is the time to decide.

Get inventive with the job. If you just make a wage you are gonna eventually want to do something else - but you'll only have wage earners quals. Do something that pays and hike on your own time. Do something that does not tie you to your job - freedom and money. Not RICH money, but comfy money. Freedom to come and go. There are lots of jobs like that. The intial layout for time requires dedication, but once you get your stuff in line you will be set.
Start your own business. I went to highschool with a guy that bought a cooler truck as his first car - he would drive to Louisianna to pick up shrimp and bring it back to Knoxville - he made serious cash during college football season - eventually he bought a better car. My dad went to school with a guy that owns the long time local outdoor shop - that guy started selling gear to his friends because he had school bills to pay - he still runs the shop - Riversports. An old dude that lived by my grandfather made his money buying abandoned farms and cleaning them up for sale.
Thats why I say get inventive. Be your own boss - Now would be an opportune time for someone with brains and brawn to buy and flip houses. There will be buyers, and the market it ripe. Buy and flip - learn as you go - save, save, save. Eventually you could only have to work 6 months a year or less depending on your goals. That would leave alot of time to do what YOU want, not what someone else tells you to do.
Things to remember:
Nothing is easy
There are no free rides
You get out what you put in

Now go get 'em tiger!

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 09:44
Pig Poker in the Smokies. But you have to be the kind of guy that giggles when people kill shelter mice.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2009, 10:03
Coyote- explain?
Someone who smuggles illegal aliens across the Mexican border for money. Undoubtably meant in jest

Ranger with the USPS - is that the postal sevice?
Yeah, the USFS is getting pretty annoyed at all the rural carriers taking their jobs.;)

I used to want to be a Ranger - but now that I am older I would never want to participate in any form of US Gov activity. US Gov sucks.

Master or Slave - now is the time to decide.

Get inventive with the job. If you just make a wage you are gonna eventually want to do something else - but you'll only have wage earners quals. Do something that pays and hike on your own time. Do something that does not tie you to your job - freedom and money. Not RICH money, but comfy money. Freedom to come and go. There are lots of jobs like that. The intial layout for time requires dedication, but once you get your stuff in line you will be set.
Start your own business. I went to highschool with a guy that bought a cooler truck as his first car - he would drive to Louisianna to pick up shrimp and bring it back to Knoxville - he made serious cash during college football season - eventually he bought a better car. My dad went to school with a guy that owns the long time local outdoor shop - that guy started selling gear to his friends because he had school bills to pay - he still runs the shop - Riversports. An old dude that lived by my grandfather made his money buying abandoned farms and cleaning them up for sale.
Thats why I say get inventive. Be your own boss - Now would be an opportune time for someone with brains and brawn to buy and flip houses. There will be buyers, and the market it ripe. Buy and flip - learn as you go - save, save, save. Eventually you could only have to work 6 months a year or less depending on your goals. That would leave alot of time to do what YOU want, not what someone else tells you to do.
Things to remember:
Nothing is easy
There are no free rides
You get out what you put in

Now go get 'em tiger!

Good ideas. Also consider learning a trade like an electrician, instrument tech, pipefitter, etc if owning a business or higher education isn't your thing. Get whatever certifications you need--nuclear plants generally pay the best. Work the outages at power plants, steel mills, etc. Work some long hard hours for a few months, make good pay(usually $30 to $40 per hour, 60 to 84 hours per week, + about $100/day per diem living expenses). Work 6 months a year and hike, play golf, ski, or whatever the rest. Once you develop a good resume and references doing such work, these temp assignments are pretty easy to come by. The downside? Working 12 hours a day 7 days a week for a couple months straight is brutal. You are on the road living in motels or campgrounds a lot. You pay your own benefits and it definitely isn't as secure as a full time job. You also need to stash a year to two of income away to ride out any dry spells.

Alternatives: Go to college for nursing and do per diem work. Again, high hourly pay, and usually great demand without as much travel as doing the above. My cousin is an RN and does this and makes $35+/hour. She's now going back to school to become a CRNA.

Same with computer programming--lots of contract jobs available for independent programmers.

For outdoor "woodsy" jobs, look at NPS, USFS, etc and state park agencies, including fish and game. All generally are looking for some degree of education, and resumes with college degrees usually are on top of the pile. Bureaucracies LOVE credentials.

But like hootyhoo said: There ain't no free rides in this life. You only get back what you're willing to put in.

Gray Blazer
03-04-2009, 10:05
Trail clearer in the National Parks.

Blissful
03-04-2009, 10:42
I've thought of working at an outfitter, but got enough stuff to do right now (like book contracts) :) Still would love to talk to groups about hiking.

chrishowe11
03-04-2009, 12:18
there are lots of wilderness therapy programs out there that do backpacking. SUWS, Aspen achievment, sagewalk. All of these are similar to outwardbound courses but are for the "troubled youth" you got the chance to make a difference in someone's life and you get to be outside enjoying the world.

yaduck9
03-04-2009, 12:22
Hydrologist or Hydrology Technician.

yaduck9
03-04-2009, 12:28
Alternatives: Go to college for nursing and do per diem work. Again, high hourly pay, and usually great demand without as much travel as doing the above. My cousin is an RN and does this and makes $35+/hour. She's now going back to school to become a CRNA.

But like hootyhoo said: There ain't no free rides in this life. You only get back what you're willing to put in.

Just like to coat tail on the Nurse gig; met a lot of folk ( mostly women ) who have been nurses and have worked in some pretty remote areas all over the world. Might be something to check out.

DAJA
03-04-2009, 12:39
Love this forum, you guys are great for ideas, information and inspiration! Thanks!

For years after University I ran a program in my home town for high risk youth, in which we'd be assigned 4-8 teens, and run a variety of skill sessions with them.. Everything from canoeing, rafting, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing, etc... We'd spend 100 - 150 nights a year living in the bush in tents... Best job I ever had, but the pay sucks and it is impossible to have a life of your own. These kids become your life, and as a result I lost a lot of important things in my own personal life... I finally realized that it was time to move on to pay the bills and keep the outdoors as a hobby... Now i'm a gov beaurcrat and spend my days peering out the window wishing I could be outside... Everything is a contradiction and comprimise!

All I can say is Love the Life You Live!

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 12:42
sherpa?

Skyline
03-04-2009, 12:55
A few self-employed entrepreneur types have developed backpacking/wilderness guide businesses. One such business operates in cooperation with ARAMARK, the concessioner that runs the lodges and restaurants. Here's a link to a web page:

http://www.visitshenandoah.com/guided-hikes/index.cfm

Most of what they offer involves dayhikes, but guided multi-day backpacking trips can be tailored to a group's needs.

If you don't want to be self-employed, google "Guided Backpacking Trips" and you'll see lots of such businesses/organizations. There is a company that specializes in Spring Break and other college-age groups, REI has a paid backpacking program, and of course there's Outward Bound. There are paid guided backpacking trips centered around many national parks, forests, etc. like the Smokies, Yosemite, Denali, etc. All of these employ experienced backpackers.

SonrisaJo
03-05-2009, 14:29
I'd suggest a career in environmental education. I get to hike, snowshoe, ski, and rock climb for a living. The summer opens up backpacking, fishing, and canoeing. Granted, I'm also doing it with a small herd of children. . .

Lyle
03-05-2009, 15:01
I worked for a company that ran wilderness programs for juvenile delinquents. They have a wilderness camp on South Mountain, right on the AT. They hire wilderness staff who are responsible for providing backpacking, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc education/supervision for the kids. I was able to participate in numerous of these "quests" while I worked for them.

This was a very fun aspect of the employment, but overall it was the most stressful job I've ever had, but most rewarding as well. The company is almost always looking for employees. It's Called VisionQuest and they run programs both in the east and western US. Last I knew, they were providing services for around 1200 kids at any one time.

Check them out:

http://www.vq.com/index.html

LIVESTRONG
03-05-2009, 16:29
http://www.scouting.org/HighAdventure/Philmont/WorkingatPhilmont.aspx

Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico pays seasonal help for a lot of different positions. The guides that go out with the scout groups for 3-4 days are getting paid to hike and teach wilderness technics. I was there in 1997 and I had a blast. That is what fueled my AT hike.

flemdawg1
03-05-2009, 16:49
I worked for a company that ran wilderness programs for juvenile delinquents.

It's Called VisionQuest and they run programs both in the east and western US. Last I knew, they were providing services for around 1200 kids at any one time.

Check them out:

http://www.vq.com/index.html

I remember that movie, can't recall any hiking though. :confused:

JAK
03-05-2009, 16:57
I knew a lady on another forum that worked for a place like that in Texas I think.
She did alot of hiking. Prefered hammocks.
She did alot of great work with troubled kids but I think it takes alot out of a person also.

bobbyw
03-05-2009, 17:10
I read in the complete walker that colin fletcher had a job walking out to remote areas and testing water in different streams/lakes/rivers. I'd imagine any kind of environmental science work would be easy to pick up and probably wouldn't require a load of training for the pay.

maxpatch67
03-05-2009, 18:18
Be an art teacher and have the summer off!

yaduck9
03-05-2009, 19:30
I read in the complete walker that colin fletcher had a job walking out to remote areas and testing water in different streams/lakes/rivers. I'd imagine any kind of environmental science work would be easy to pick up and probably wouldn't require a load of training for the pay.

I think you are referring to Chip Rawlins the co author with colin fletcher of the complete walker IV . But your right Chip did talk a lot about hiking deep into the wilderness to get water samples from some pond or mountain lake.

Feral Bill
03-05-2009, 19:32

That was Chip Rawlings, Fletchers collaborator on the last Walker. I seriously doubt those jobs come easy.

As for trip leading for kids or adults, it is not recreation. You are constantly counting heads, looking for hazzards, and always know that you are responsible for someone elses loopy kid. This all goes triple for "hoods in the woods" programs.

Sorry to be a doomsayer

FB

Kirby
03-05-2009, 19:33
Trail bum.

rickb
03-05-2009, 19:38
So what kind of jobs/careers are out there where you could be in a backpacking enviorment? For example: Guide/camp support for photographers or researchers going into various wilderness areas.

Do any of yall have any input? thanks!

School Teacher.

Pays well in many areas (don't believe everything you hear on that) and has a great retirement program.

As for the backpacking component? Absolutely! Three 3 full months each and every year.

Kind of wish I went that route.

Kirby
03-05-2009, 19:39
Teachers are paid great in my opinion when you take into account all the vacation time they get, along with the paid sick days, along at least a month in the summer.

Bearpaw
03-05-2009, 19:54
Do NOT become a teacher unless you really like kids. It's not fair to them OR you. The time off won't be worth the aggravation of dealing with them. I LOVE kids, even the delinquents I work with in my behavior intervention school. But lemme tell ya', there are days....

Sometimes weeks...

And usually the entire month of MAY, when the kids are insane, and I can only think about being on the trail again.

But if you like working with kids, teaching is a great way to feed a hiking habit as well.

rickb
03-05-2009, 19:57
High school physics in a rich district, then.

Too late for me, though.

Lyle
03-05-2009, 20:24
I remember that movie, can't recall any hiking though. :confused:

VisionQuest the company - Vision Quest the movie

No connection at all.

jsf
03-05-2009, 20:29
If you're ready for a wild ride, you could become a tourleader for Trek America. You don't get to backpack everyday, but you can do dayhikes in National Parks all over America. I lead tours for 4 years. www.trekamerica.com (http://www.trekamerica.com)

Crumbs GAME'08

Lyle
03-05-2009, 20:30
As for trip leading for kids or adults, it is not recreation. You are constantly counting heads, looking for hazzards, and always know that you are responsible for someone elses loopy kid. This all goes triple for "hoods in the woods" programs.

Sorry to be a doomsayer

FB

While true to some degree, the time out on quests offered many relaxing, inspiring moments, plus got to see some fantastic new country. Was one of the most enjoyable aspects of working there. The kids on the quests had earned their way to that point and GENERALLY were well behaved and fun to be around.

By the way, "hoods in the woods" is offensive and taken to be very derogatory - not deserved in most cases.

superman
03-05-2009, 20:51
In 2000 after Gorham, NH, it was raining like hell. I spent the night on one of those tent platforms. As I went about my business, I became aware of a bunch of young men who looked to be in their late teens. The young men kept running to this one person and then running off to do more tasks. Well, it turned out to be a young woman that I guessed to be in her early 20s. Under very difficult conditions these young men weren't shrinking into a tent or shelter. Instead, they had great morale and each time they finished a task they went back to the young woman for another task. It was very impressive. I spoke with the young woman and she told me that she had an outward-bound group. Her qualifications to lead young men who were not many years younger than her was that she was a past thru hiker.

jsf
03-05-2009, 20:54
Also, you can go to http://www.nols.edu/alumni/employment/jobsnetwork.archive.shtml and subscribe to a job listserve that has all kinds of outdoor/adventure jobs. You get email posts a few times a week with job announcements. Good luck!

jsf
03-05-2009, 21:10
Oh yeah, and now I'm teaching English in South Korea for a year. All I have to do is speak English in class, teach 20 class hours a week, pay is decent, and I get 35 days paid vacation to go explore surrounding Asian countries. And South Korea has beautiful scenery and LOTS of hiking trails.

Crumbs

Feral Bill
03-05-2009, 22:02
While true to some degree, the time out on quests offered many relaxing, inspiring moments, plus got to see some fantastic new country. Was one of the most enjoyable aspects of working there. The kids on the quests had earned their way to that point and GENERALLY were well behaved and fun to be around.

By the way, "hoods in the woods" is offensive and taken to be very derogatory - not deserved in most cases.

No offence meant. My apologies.

Lyle
03-06-2009, 01:18
No offence meant. My apologies.

Thanks.

We all sometimes say things that are unintentionally offensive. That's why I thought I'd mention it. I know it's kinda a common term here, but I don't think many of the folks who use it realize how it's taken.