PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious about charity hikes

Desert Lobster
05-20-2004, 12:04
I always wonder whether some folks fund their hikes with charity money. Is this an issue or are 99% of folks on the up-and-up?

chomp
05-20-2004, 13:28
I always wonder whether some folks fund their hikes with charity money. Is this an issue or are 99% of folks on the up-and-up?
Probably both. I bet that for almost all folks, the money that they raise FOR the charity is given to the charity. However, I suspect that it might be possibly to get a sponsor or whatnot for that hike. That money could be used to pay for the hike itself. I could see that the sponsor monies would exceed the donation monies. I'd also like to say that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Tha Wookie
05-20-2004, 14:47
That is a good question. I can only speak for my own project, Trekking for Children. Being a small community oranization that I raise $ for, it's sometimes difficult to convey the understanding of what we're raising money for. For example, everyone's heard of large institutions like Red Cross, but how many have ever heard of Welcome Home Ministries?

We raise most of our money locally, as the charity centers around reasonably a well-known family, the Price's, in Atlanta that has 15 kids, most of whom have special needs and are permanently adopted, fostered, or guardianed. This year we're raising money for them to upgrade their backyard into a handicap accessible play area, as they have some kids restricted to wheelchairs and some other safety concerns that need attention, like a retractable pool cover for their little pool.

We sell t-shirts and take tax-deductible donations off my personal website, and every penny goes straight to the 501 c(3) non-profit organization. Every once and a while, the organization gives us a very small amount of money for postage and materials for thank-you cards, and other operational expenses that directly have to do with them getting money.

Over the past 3 years, we've raised $17,000.

So I can't speak for others, but that's our story. I can say, however, that many people ask advise on how to do a fundraiser from me, and most seem genuinely involved with a deep personal connection (like a loved one died from a disease and they are raising $$ for a cure). I would be very suprised if any of the people I talked to were siphoning money into their personal accounts for their own benefit.

Please check us out: www.thawookie.com (http://www.thawookie.com)

:sun

eyahiker
05-20-2004, 19:43
www.thewookie.com (http://www.thewookie.com) is one of the best charity sites I have seen suggested! Way to go, and keep up the awesome work:banana

Tha Wookie
05-20-2004, 21:44
Thanks, Eyahiker. The more we get the word out, the better.

The address is www.thAwookie.com (http://www.thAwookie.com), not thEwookie.com (but that one is worth checking out also).

That's what I get being named by an Italian star wars fan.

Take care

eyahiker
05-20-2004, 23:39
Sorry about the typo, that was not cool on my part :o

Glad for the correction, and again, hope this season is an exceptionally good one for you and yours!

orangebug
05-21-2004, 11:56
That is a good question. I can only speak for my own project, Trekking for Children. Being a small community oranization that I raise $ for...

That is probably why you have been successful with $17K raised. You have a focused charity and focused plan for fund raising and donor relationships. Your donors can wrap their hands around this charity and see the benefit of their donations. They aren't stymied by an overwhelming need ($58 million comes to mind from another thread).

Good luck with your continued philanthropy.

Bill...

chomp
05-21-2004, 11:59
Over the past 3 years, we've raised $17,000.

That is excellent to hear. Nice job, Wookie.

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 13:31
Tha wookie would be a great person for you to PM Desert Lobster about this issue, he is obviously one who has great experience and success:)

Jaybird
05-21-2004, 14:08

D.L.

i've never hiked for a CHARITY...but, i have contributed to hiker(s) that are hiking for a particular "cause"....whether it is CANCER RESEARCH...LEUKEMIA FOUNDATION...or A.W.O.L.

i dont follow up to see if my money goes to that organization..i just make sure...that the hiker seems genuine....thats good enuff fer me. :D