PDA

View Full Version : boil in bag meals???

RiverRock
03-04-2009, 01:20
Ive been camping and in the boy scouts for as long as i can remember. i just got my eagle last fall. this spring i am hopeing to attempt a thru hike. ive cooked many meals in the outdoors, but have never really gotten in to the freezer bag cooking method except for boiling a few eggs.

:confused: i was wondering if its possable to cook lipton sides in their own pouch and cook them thouroughley. i attempted this and ended up witha soup with undercooked noodles. would the idea be to put water in the pouch and then put the pouch back in a little bit of hot water??? basically i want an easy good meal , and i dont want to deal with a dirty pot in the woods if i dont haft to.

thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

2XL
03-04-2009, 07:44
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

budforester
03-04-2009, 08:54
wondering if its possable to cook lipton sides in their own pouch and cook them thouroughley. i attempted this and ended up witha soup with undercooked noodles. would the idea be to put water in the pouch and then put the pouch back in a little bit of hot water??? basically i want an easy good meal , and i dont want to deal with a dirty pot in the woods if i dont haft to.

If it is soupy and undercooked after adding the right amount of water, then it needs to "cook" longer. Simmering in hot water might work, but it would be easier to hold the stuff in an insulated "cozy" to extend the rehydration time. There is a learning curve, so you are doing right to experiment before taking these techniques afield.. I second the motion for you to check out Sarbar's Freezer Bag site. And there has been lots of discussion posted here on WB.

Jayboflavin04
03-04-2009, 09:08
Congats on your Eagle! And check out the above link!!! I think I am going to order Sarah's book today.

bigcranky
03-04-2009, 09:12
I have tried FBC with Liptons meals and haven't had good results. But maybe I gave up too soon.

FBC works really well with grains that don't need a lot of cooking time: couscous, instant rice, that sort of thing. (Even some things that call for simmering, like instant brown rice, work well.)

bulldog49
03-04-2009, 09:13
Ive been camping and in the boy scouts for as long as i can remember. i just got my eagle last fall. this spring i am hopeing to attempt a thru hike. ive cooked many meals in the outdoors, but have never really gotten in to the freezer bag cooking method except for boiling a few eggs.

:confused: i was wondering if its possable to cook lipton sides in their own pouch and cook them thouroughley. i attempted this and ended up witha soup with undercooked noodles. would the idea be to put water in the pouch and then put the pouch back in a little bit of hot water??? basically i want an easy good meal , and i dont want to deal with a dirty pot in the woods if i dont haft to.

I've tried this as well and gotten the same results. Those Lipton meals have a propensity for sticking to the pot and leaving a clean-up mess. I don't think it's possible to use this method to get them fully cooked.

hoz
03-04-2009, 09:27
After several trips using freezer bag technique I came to the conclusion it was all tasty glop in a bag.

Pastas, overcooked and turned to thick paste. Rice, undercooked and was hard and crunchy. Mashed potatoes wound up as runny pot soup. Oatmeal was the only thing that came out right, time after time.

And even with rinsing, the plastic bags started stinking to high heaven after a few days.

I've gone back to rehydrating in the pot or a bowl.

Don H
03-04-2009, 09:55
You need to use less water that the directions state when freezer bag (FB) cooking since you don't loose water through the boiling/cooking process. It takes some trial and error to get it right. I keep a database for different foods I FB cook with the amount of water that works. Then I write it on the bag before I leave for a section hike. You'll eat so much of the same stuff on a thru that you'll have what works memorized before long. For Knorrs Rice Sides I use 1 3/4 cups of boiling water in the FB and insulate with a piece of reflective insulated car windshield shade. Wait 15 minutes then add chunks of chicken to it. For Knorrs Pasta Sides Alfredo I add 1 1/4 cups of boiling water and wait 15 minutes. A pouch of tuna works well with this, just add it a few minutes before eating. The trick to FB cooking is insulating the food and giving it time to cook. SABAR on this forum wrote the book which I use and recommend for fancier recipes. Some other things that work well with FB cooking, stove top stuffing with chicken chunks purchased in the foil packs, couscous with grated cheese, Kraft Easy Mac, individual foil packs of mashed potatoes also with chicken.
Congratulations on your Eagle, it is a great accomplishment! I'm a Scoutmaster and I teach my guys FB cooking. They use it when backpacking which we do twice a year, one of which is an AT hike.
Good luck with your thru, keep us posted.

snowhoe
03-04-2009, 09:58
Congrats on coming over to the freezer bag cooking. You will never have to wash a pot again!

Don H
03-04-2009, 10:12
hoz has a good point, the bags do start to smell after a few days since they have food remnants in them. I try to dispose of the used bags every chance I get and keep them in a mesh bag outside of my pack while hiking (bear trolling bait?). They go in the bear bag at camp.

hoz
03-04-2009, 10:43
hoz has a good point, the bags do start to smell after a few days since they have food remnants in them.

I've been on a couple wilderness long distance canoe trips where everyone had scads and scads of stinking plastic bags after a few days. We had no option but to have a big bonfire unless we wanted to keep trolling for bears.

Another controversy among some outdoors people.

sarbar
03-04-2009, 12:00
Ahem...if you have stinky bags that is easily remedied.

Tightly seal the used bag, rolling up and sealing. This removes air. Then store it in a garbage bag that is tightly sealed. A gallon freezer bag works fine. This bag needs to be bear bagged as well.

It won't stink anymore than any other garbage.

My food is kept in sealed gallon freezer bags in my Ursack, the garbage then goes down the side at night.

And I have not had a bear attack in all the years of backpacking I have done. My garbage does not reek in the bag.

If your garbage reeks - you need to bag it better! PS: any and all garbage stinks, no matter what it is - sealing keeps the odors in. Kind of like how your kitchen garbage reeks when you open the can, but not when the can is closed. And in hot temps the smell is going to be stronger when you open the bag, versus in cool weather it smells less.

SouthMark
03-04-2009, 12:14
RiverRock, I may have missed reading in the other replies but you do not cook by immersing the freezer bag in boiling water, you add the boiling water into the bag, seal it up, put it into a cozy and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. One tip to avid it being soupy, use less water. The amount of water called for on the package directions is taking into account water being evaporated/boiled off during the simmering stage. Experiment and you can get it to work. Just check out sarbar's website.

And from an old Scoutmaster, well done on your eagle.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2009, 12:17
You can also add a few instant mashed potato flakes to almost anything to thicken it up a bit if it's too soupy without changing the flavor much. I like the various flavored Idahoan brand and if you like eating them then you always can take a little out of a pouch for thickening purposes.

Hikes in Rain
03-04-2009, 13:36
Congats on your Eagle! And check out the above link!!! I think I am going to order Sarah's book today.

I did, and it's the best hiking investment I've made to date. Only mistake I made was not ordering a cozy along with it. My excuse is that I was going to order some Interia food products to try out, and noted they have their cozy wrap bag on the website as well. Did a little measuring, and it doesn't look like that wrap will be large enough to handle a quart freezer bag, which also makes me wonder about the amount of food in the Inertia selection, so I may not order at all. (It's a convoluted chain. :) ) Too bad, some of the combos there sound good enough to eat!

Soooo, Sarah can expect an order soon for a cozy. Yeah, I know they're easy to make, but I also know I'll never get around to gathering the materials and making it by may, which is when I need it, so......

It's interesting to be me sometimes......

sarbar
03-04-2009, 14:11
The Enertia wraps are pretty small - I had one gifted to me a couple years ago. They are tall and narrow - which is the style of the bags they use. While the meals will fill you up that they make, many times a man with a big appetite will need more protein and fat added in. Not a bad base taste wise - though they are a bit salty for me. :)

And on the mashed potaties? +1. As well, if a meal is ever too thin Parmesan cheese will thicken it up and make it even better tasting!

putts
03-04-2009, 15:00
[quote=RiverRock;794129]

:confused: i was wondering if its possable to cook lipton sides in their own pouch and cook them thouroughley. quote]

Yes its is very possible. It does take some trial and error to get it right. I just boiled water ( dont recall exact measurements ) pour it in the original packaging, roll the top of the package up tightly, let sit for 10 or so minutes, open, stir to make sure everything is getting hydrated, reclose, then I would lay the package flat on its side so that the liquid is more evenly distributed, after a few mins. flip it over, after a few more mins. open, stir, chow down.

I have defintly had thouroughly cooked lipton meals using this method. I have had more success with noodle meals rather than rice - but Ive only tried it with Lipton rice meals a few times.

It may have the same temp. as dinner thats sat on the table for 10 mins rather than "fresh out of the oven". I never bother to try to re-warm it. If I need it hot Ill suck it up and do the dishes.

Just Plain Jim
03-04-2009, 15:43
I always add air-dried Rotell Tomatos and chicken to each bag at home. I don't mind if it's a tad overcooked :-?[sometimes] as I'm "always" starving at supper time.

theinfamousj
03-04-2009, 22:33
I've tried this as well and gotten the same results. Those Lipton meals have a propensity for sticking to the pot and leaving a clean-up mess. I don't think it's possible to use this method to get them fully cooked.

I think that the linguini-esque noodle Lipton's meals are harder to rehydrate. I've never had success with them. Mostly, as my roommate dubs hers, "cheesy water". We've tried everything we can think of.

But the good news is that Pasta-Roni, which requires repackaging since it comes in boxes, has a line of angel hair pasta dishes which do, very well, rehydrate as Freezer Bag meals. My favorite is Angel Hair Pasta with Paremsian (in the pink box). That meal is my "treat" after a marathon day.

hoz
03-04-2009, 23:21
If your garbage reeks - you need to bag it better! PS: any and all garbage stinks, no matter what it is - sealing keeps the odors in.

Thanks for the detailed instruction Sarbar. I have no problem with your FBC system. In fact, it's quite innovative and I was taken by it for a couple years. In the end, it just didn't work for me.

My point is NOT having garbage and not having another bag to bag garbage bags in.

By carrying my meal ingredients in ONE bag instead of several, and using a reusable bowl or my pot to rehydrate meals I'm doing away with the 10-20-30 additional plastic bags the FBC method requires.

My bowl and pot are easily cleaned and I'm not carrying around a bunch of dirty, used, stinking plastic bags.

RiverRock
03-05-2009, 01:10
Thanks for the advice everyone. a bit more experimenting is in order, but dirty pot or not hiking is way better than working any day

sarbar
03-05-2009, 11:37
Hoz, not to start an argument....but frankly, unless you carry one item to eat the entire trip you will have many leftover bags. Or unless you use paper bags to carry your food in.

You cannot without a lot of thinking it out get away from garbage while out. As for a garbage bag? Everyone has to have one. You will have garbage no matter what.

Do you take pouches for meat? Cans? Those need to be packed out - never burnt. (Metal doesn't burn!) They will stink o course in the garbage bag. One just keeps them tightly sealed to reduce odors.

hoz
03-05-2009, 15:21
Thanks again Sarbar for your detailed instruction on something I have probably been practicing since before you were born.

And I agree we are not having an argument.

I have been a LNT hiker and camper since 1962, BEFORE LNT was made popular.

While we are in agreement there must be some garbage on a trip there doesn't have to be 10-20-30 dirty plastic bags. With planning to menu and discipline that can be cut down to much less.

Sample 2 week trip.

My menu consists of three major items, pasta or Asian noodles, beans and mashed potatoes. These are carried bulk in their own separate 1 gallon bags. (3 bags)

To these I add dehydrated veggies which are also carried bulk in one bag. Peas, carrot sticks, onion flakes, green beans, corn.
(1 bag)

I also carry gravy/soup mixes which are again carried in ONE large bag and picked and chosen as I go. One night turkey gravy, another night sour soup, etc. (1 bag)

Dehydrated hamburger/gravel in one bag.
(1 bag)

Any trail stable sausage or cheese goes into their own bag. (1 bag)

Snacks (1 bag)

Coffee, tea in another bag along with the morning oatmeal. (1 bag)

NO CANS, unless you are prepared to BURN them, FLATTEN them down, and CARRY them OUT. Period. I don't carry cans on anything longer than an overnighter or weekend.

My "garbage bag" is a small nylon stuff sack, that often comes back with more small bits of aluminum foil, twist ties, and plastic bag closures I have picked up from any firepits or campsites we have used than any garbage I have generated..

I count 9 bags and none of them being used to rehydrate food, none are stinky.

Alyssa1
03-05-2009, 21:13
at the local grocery store they have "boil-in-the-bag rice", its pretty good. i used to eat it all the time. its just plain white or whatever rice and then add in your extras afterwards. ive never brought it out camping before tho.

Don H
03-05-2009, 22:04
I do one hot meal a day in one bag. You say 10 - 20 - 30 bags but for how many days?

hoz
03-06-2009, 07:55
I do one hot meal a day in one bag. You say 10 - 20 - 30 bags but for how many days?

Read my posts above. 2 weeks, multiple people.

Anytime out a weekend or less and all bets are off. That's such a short time I don't mind the mess. But I still don't have to eat out of a bag. Convenient? Maybe, but I found the experience "disagreeable".

JAK
03-06-2009, 11:00
I really love the recipes but try to keep the plastic down.
I'm not sure I create any less garbage the way I hike though.

I would like to find a way to hike without creating any garbage at all.
I know freezer bags can be re-used. How many times?
Also wondering what other options might work?
Trade-offs ot thicker plastic vs thinner plastic.

Possible non-plastic containers for carrying stuff, and then using pot or mug?

Any thoughts on zero-landfill hiking?

hoz
03-06-2009, 11:16
Heavy brown bags for bulk items? Stored inside stuff sacks should last at least one trip.

Tight knit cloth bags? Flour used to be carried in cotton bags, why not dehydrated goods too? Reusable, earth friendly.

I'm not too sure about using nylon stuff sacks to carry bare foodstuffs. Haven't tried it yet. Long term they may be some "taste bleed off" from the nylon.

I have never been tempted to reuse a plastic bag that had been used for rehydrating. Even with a rigorous rinse and dry there seemed to be a lingering "odor" that was "unappetizing".

JAK
03-06-2009, 11:17
I should have started a separate thread for that. I think responsible use of plastic bags while hiking, freezer bag cooking or otherwise, sets a pretty decent benchmark that's hard to beat. I might start a new thread if I can think of how to phrase it better.

hoz
03-06-2009, 11:18
CU there...

JAK
03-06-2009, 11:21
Heavy brown bags for bulk items? Stored inside stuff sacks should last at least one trip.

Tight knit cloth bags? Flour used to be carried in cotton bags, why not dehydrated goods too? Reusable, earth friendly.

I'm not too sure about using nylon stuff sacks to carry bare foodstuffs. Haven't tried it yet. Long term they may be some "taste bleed off" from the nylon.

I have never been tempted to reuse a plastic bag that had been used for rehydrating. Even with a rigorous rinse and dry there seemed to be a lingering "odor" that was "unappetizing".Thanks. Those are good ideas. Depending on where you live birch bark is an option, but not if everyone does it. I like to make a few birch bark containers when I am out.

For freezer bag cooking cotton bags might work really good since the cozie can provide the waterproofing, but you still end up with having to rinse and carry a wet cotton bag. Might work though, especially in a dry sunny climate.

JAK
03-06-2009, 11:22
CU there...I'll give it some more thought first. Cheers.

hoz
03-06-2009, 11:35
For freezer bag cooking cotton bags might work really good since the cozie can provide the waterproofing, but you still end up with having to rinse and carry a wet cotton bag. Might work though, especially in a dry sunny climate.

No, no you misunderstand me. The cotton bags would be for carrying the foodstuffs only. The ingredients are spooned into a bowl or the mug for rehydrating.

rjohns94
03-06-2009, 11:38
I heard today that freezerbags tend to break down the material they are made of when exposed to temps above 190*, releasing carcenogens into the food. since boiling water is 212*, this presents a concern for me if true. Any thoughts or experiences on this particular subject? supposedly this comes from the makers of freezerbags, that the FDA has not tested for this use of them. food that comes in plastic bags ready for boiling are a different material completely.

hoz
03-06-2009, 11:49
I heard today that freezerbags tend to break down the material they are made of when exposed to temps above 190*, releasing carcenogens into the food. since boiling water is 212*, this presents a concern for me if true.

Concerns me also. But Sarbar has information saying it is safe. I'm sure she will post.

SunnyWalker
03-06-2009, 13:41
Hoz, where do you purchase your gravy in bulk? Thanks.

Also, Thanks, XL for the site!

hoz
03-06-2009, 13:50
I said:

"I also carry gravy/soup mixes which are again carried in ONE large bag and picked and chosen as I go. One night turkey gravy, another night sour soup, etc. (1 bag)"

I'm sorry if my post above wasn't clear. When I said "gravy/soup mixes, etc." I thought that implied different gravies and soup packets, all carried in one plastic bag. I use regular packets like you can buy at any store. Country white gravy, turkey, pork or chicken gravy. Sour soup and other soup mixes or bullion cubes.

Come to think of it, I could do away with that plastic bag and just use a small stuff sack for these flavorings.

Don H
03-06-2009, 14:07
Read my posts above. 2 weeks, multiple people.

I did read your post and I still don't see where you mention multiple people, maybe I missed something.
I don't see where 7 plastic bags for a week is such a problem.

hoz
03-06-2009, 14:31
I did read your post and I still don't see where you mention multiple people, maybe I missed something.
I don't see where 7 plastic bags for a week is such a problem.

Post 11 above mentions multiple people.

And I have been talking a 2 week trip, not one week.

Not everyone eats one hot meal a day. Many also reconstitute their breakfasts. That would be at minimum 14 stinking bags.

There is NO PROBLEM. Sarbar has done a great job developing a market and I admire her for that. I tried it, just isn't for me.

If you want to eat out of a plastic bag that's fine.

As I said I found the experience to be disagreeable, picking and digging in the bag, slurping, trying to get all the loose particles. Then rinsing the bags out and still having them stink 2 days later.

I would rather use a bowl and wash it out afterwards.

Blue Jay
03-06-2009, 22:15
I heard today that freezerbags tend to break down the material they are made of when exposed to temps above 190*, releasing carcenogens into the food. since boiling water is 212*, this presents a concern for me if true. Any thoughts or experiences on this particular subject? supposedly this comes from the makers of freezerbags, that the FDA has not tested for this use of them. food that comes in plastic bags ready for boiling are a different material completely.

Actually there is evidence both ways on the safety of cooking in plastic and then eating what may or may not be contaminated by who knows what. The question you need to ask yourself "do you feel lucky, well do ya punk". Use yourself as a quinea pig to avoid washing a pot that does not need washing?
Do as you please.

Medic!
03-11-2009, 09:00
I don't know if they're made from the same material as freezer bags, but slow cooker liners might be a better idea for cooking in as they are supposedly designed for the heat. The problem with them however is that they aren't self-sealing, meaning you'd have to find some kind of way to close them.

I want to have as little trash as possible on hikes, but I'd like to try and bring several pre-mixed recipes, and those would need to be individually packed. I'll have to try and see what the feasability of bulk packing ingredients is as someone already mentioned.

Also, someone mentioned canned food. Unless it's something you're buying on the trail where you don't have access to a dehydrator, nearly everything that can be canned can be dehydrated ahead of time...

Alli
03-15-2009, 12:50
I use a BakePacker, which is especially designed for cooking in a plastic bag. I have used it for years now with great results.

Bear Cables
03-22-2009, 19:55
Congrats on the Eagle! (Both of my sons are Eagles) I would highly recommend the cozy and the inertia cook in bag meals as well a Mary Jane Organics meals. Very tasty and not too expensive.