PDA

View Full Version : Is Spring Coming

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 09:57
Ok all you southerners, time to cheer this yankee up. Do you have some warm weather down there?

The road in front of my house is paved, but I haven't seen the pavement since the first week in November (just snow pack and ice). Still got a couple feet of snow on the ground. I'm done with winter. Anyone got sunny and 60?

RWK
03-04-2009, 10:00
Yep, and the trees are just starting to bud out. Redbuds and wild plum trees in full bloom. Some have been wakeboarding on the lake I live on.

Pedaling Fool
03-04-2009, 10:00
This winter has been especially cold, down here in northern Florida(southern Georgia). I've seen more days below and around freezing temps than I can remember.

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 10:03
Yeah, I hear the global warming rally was nearly canceled due to very cold weather>

snowhoe
03-04-2009, 10:07
Sheepdog thats funny! If it makes you feel better spring spung here in February. I had to mow my grass today. Its going to be in the upper 70s today.

Pedaling Fool
03-04-2009, 10:08
They're in hibernation, they'll be back as soon as the weather warms or some other natural disaster occurs that they can exploit to scare the masses.

Blissful
03-04-2009, 10:41
Got cold here man, the coldest I've seen in March in ages. But 60's later this week. Time for the NOBOs to start up now.

Frick Frack
03-04-2009, 10:58
Since we finished our SOBO last year in Nov there has been more rain than any winter I can remember. It has been much colder too! I picked up a NOBO at the MARTA station yesterday and delivered him to Springer and Many Sleeps said it was 9 degrees on Springer Monday night....geeesh! Glad all the NOBO's I met yesterday were yankees and used to the cold.;)

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 12:09
Yep, and the trees are just starting to bud out. Redbuds and wild plum trees in full bloom. Some have been wakeboarding on the lake I live on.

Sheepdog thats funny! If it makes you feel better spring spung here in February. I had to mow my grass today. Its going to be in the upper 70s today.

Now that's what I want to hear, redbuds blooming and upper 70's :banana

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 12:11
Spring has been canceled. Please check your local listings for updates at 6. ;)

SteveJ
03-04-2009, 12:18
currently 39 here - but mid 70's and sunny by the weekend!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/weekend/30043?from=36hr_topnav_business

flemdawg1
03-04-2009, 12:20
Daffodils are blooming and 70s are forcasted this weekend, after it snowed an inch (that's alot in AL) last Sunday.

Footslogger
03-04-2009, 12:20
Spring was this past Monday here in Wyoming. Kind of a short season for us. Then we go back into Winter for a few months until Summer arrives in July.

'Slogger

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 12:22
You're bringing me down slogger. :p

Footslogger
03-04-2009, 12:25
You're bringing me down slogger. :p

============================

Sorry ...it's a Wyoming thang.

'Slogger

leeki pole
03-04-2009, 12:46
Daffodills have come and gone. The inch of snow we got on Saturday was pretty, but did not hinder Mother Nature. The Bradford Pears and Redbuds are blooming. Azaleas are getting ready, but they've got to wait for Easter. Apples are ready to bloom, grass is starting to green up, dogs are wild, so yes, spring is definitely here. Take heart! From Mississippi....

Skyline
03-04-2009, 12:58
Spring returns to Shenandoah this weekend, at least for a few days! :banana

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 13:02
Daffodills have come and gone. The inch of snow we got on Saturday was pretty, but did not hinder Mother Nature. The Bradford Pears and Redbuds are blooming. Azaleas are getting ready, but they've got to wait for Easter. Apples are ready to bloom, grass is starting to green up, dogs are wild, so yes, spring is definitely here. Take heart! From Mississippi....

Spring returns to Shenandoah this weekend, at least for a few days! :banana
Yes!!!!

Chenango
03-04-2009, 13:48
It was 1 degree at my house this morning. I figure misery loves company, Sheepdog. I had to wear a mask for my morning walk. But, I did see some open ground in a corn field. The deer were taking it over. There had to be 20 deer in there yesterday. Also, I heard it was going to hit 40 here in central NY by the weekend. It is 20 degrees right now. Spring is coming.

rjohns94
03-04-2009, 14:34
suppose to be 68 on Saturday here, half that today though and the snow is still melting from Mondays 5-6 inches

Dancer
03-04-2009, 14:37
My magnolia bushes have been in bloom for a couple of weeks and I have one lone daffodil! It is supposed to be 70 degrees by the end of the week. Ahhhhh! I love NC.

JAK
03-04-2009, 14:58
March can be very messy up here.
Sunday we got this freezing rain that left 2" of ice pellets on my driveway.
We can get snow, rain, snow mixed with rain, freezing rain, freezing fog.

Check out March 1 to March 4
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=XX&StationID=6250&Year=2009&Month=3&Day=2

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 14:59
I love the way the air smells when the snow is melting. The birds are starting to sing in the morning agian. Won't be long and we'll have some robins. I keep hoping, Thanks to all that are sharing their spring with me.

JAK
03-04-2009, 15:09
It is a beautiful sunny day at the moment.
Sun is very strong. Temperature has risen from 8F to 17F since sunrise.
Temperatures are forecast to hit 46F on Saturday. That might melt alot of snow in the woods.

Tricky Month, March. I would like to try it one of these years.

Anyone done the Hundred Mile Wilderness in March?

Frick Frack
03-04-2009, 16:10

OMG would that be brutal......

Slo-go'en
03-04-2009, 16:21

My guess theres anywhere from 3 to 6 feet of snow on the trail up there right now (it is March now yes?). You'd be breaking trail the whole way - good luck! I'd wait until at least June...

SteveJ
03-04-2009, 16:23
It is a beautiful sunny day at the moment.
Sun is very strong. Temperature has risen from 8F to 17F since sunrise.
Temperatures are forecast to hit 46F on Saturday. That might melt alot of snow in the woods.

Tricky Month, March. I would like to try it one of these years.

...when I read "sun is very strong, temp has risen....to 17F" I knew you aren't from the south before checking "New Brunswick" JAK! I think your idea of a strong sun and mine are prolly a little different! brrr....

Dkeener
03-04-2009, 16:39
Still got snow here in Old Virginny. Warming up today. Maybe it'll be gone by the weekend.

Mongoose2
03-04-2009, 16:47
70 degrees in Atlanta Ga this weekend! I think Spring is around the corner! I'm from Chicago Sheepdog, hang in there!

leeki pole
03-04-2009, 17:16
We're on the same latitude as Atlanta. Forecast:
Currently 68. Tonight: Lows in mid 40's. Tomorrow: Mid 70's. Friday through Tuesday: Lows in the 50's, highs in the mid 70's.

theinfamousj
03-04-2009, 22:28
Now that's what I want to hear, redbuds blooming and upper 70's

The redbud tree in front of my house, and bane of my gardening attempts, has passed from this world due to a combination of drought and then this really cold winter.

I'm not sure what sort of omen that is. But we've still got snow on the ground in NC. However, this weekend is supposed to be fantastic! (74*F)

Does anyone know how burnable redbud wood is?

Egads
03-05-2009, 06:52
Lotsa buds and blooms already showing on the trees here in Atlanta

GGS2
03-05-2009, 07:08
... Does anyone know how burnable redbud wood is?

It burns just fine. Our redbuds are doing fine, but they tend to grow with deep forks which end up breaking. So we get a fair amount of redbud wood to burn each year.

They used to be rare up here (London, Ontario), but lately they are sprouting from seed each spring. My wife, who grew up here in the rare years, can't stop thinking of them as a minor miracle, so she collects bags of seeds each year, and transplants the seedlings, too. I'd offer to send you some of each, but I don't think they'd be allowed across the border.

Monkeyboy
03-05-2009, 09:15
Never seen the first snowflake here in the Bay Area...........I don't know why! :)

bigcranky
03-05-2009, 10:45
Interesting thing about March weather in the South. Hikers who started March 1 had snow, low temps around 10-F, high winds, and highs below freezing for the first couple of days. Hikers who will start this Saturday (March 7) will have highs around 70 and lows in the 40s for the first week.

Don't worry though, it will get cold again later in the month.

Pedaling Fool
03-05-2009, 10:52
Going to the 70's today, but that won't help my Chinese Hibiscus (http://www.growsonyou.com/plant/Hibiscus_rosa-sinensis); I planted it a few years ago and it was going strong until this winter. Just too many cold -- really cold -- days. I covered it, but didn't help, she's dead.

Red Hat
03-05-2009, 10:59
It starts to feel like Spring here in central Texas about mid February. We bounce from 70 degree days to 50 degree days and from 50 degree nights to 30 degree nights till mid March. Right now my Lady Banks roses are beginning to bloom. Next week they'll be full. All our trees have green now. I cut off the brown frostbitten parts of my garden and it is all green and budding. The birds are here in full force. Cardinals will be leaving soon and heading north again. There is a silver lining, but Michigan has a late spring. What we see here in March, you won't see till mid April at least. Sorry.

Summit
03-05-2009, 14:44
It was 12 degrees in central Carolina Monday. Sunday we are told we might see 80 degrees! :banana

sheepdog
03-05-2009, 15:55
It starts to feel like Spring here in central Texas about mid February. We bounce from 70 degree days to 50 degree days and from 50 degree nights to 30 degree nights till mid March. Right now my Lady Banks roses are beginning to bloom. Next week they'll be full. All our trees have green now. I cut off the brown frostbitten parts of my garden and it is all green and budding. The birds are here in full force. Cardinals will be leaving soon and heading north again. There is a silver lining, but Michigan has a late spring. What we see here in March, you won't see till mid April at least. Sorry.
bouncing between 70 and 50 is a lot like summer ;) here
It is nice to hear of your nice weather. Don't know why but it helps.

Groucho
03-05-2009, 16:53
Going to the 70's today, but that won't help my Chinese Hibiscus (http://www.growsonyou.com/plant/Hibiscus_rosa-sinensis); I planted it a few years ago and it was going strong until this winter. Just too many cold -- really cold -- days. I covered it, but didn't help, she's dead.

It may sprout from the ground and, depending, could make good growth in one year.

The Scribe
03-05-2009, 17:10
It was 1 degree at my house this morning. I figure misery loves company, Sheepdog. I had to wear a mask for my morning walk. But, I did see some open ground in a corn field. The deer were taking it over. There had to be 20 deer in there yesterday. Also, I heard it was going to hit 40 here in central NY by the weekend. It is 20 degrees right now. Spring is coming.

I had -20 yesterday morning and -10 today here in Southern Maine. Started the week with 10 inches of snow. A real bummer week. Supposed to be 45-48 on Saturday, then stay around 40 for a few days. Can't wait.

skinewmexico
03-05-2009, 17:26
Supposed to hit 90 here today, before a cold front rolls thru and knocks it down into the lower 70s. I'd better get to the grocery store and stock up on food........

Kirby
03-05-2009, 19:29
Southern Maine is due for a heat wave on Saturday, supposed to hit mid-40's.

walkin' wally
03-05-2009, 19:43
Yeah, I hear the global warming rally was nearly canceled due to very cold weather>

It was -50 this winter in northern Maine . Damn global warming:eek:

emerald
03-05-2009, 22:58
The waterfowl in Pennsylvania's Green Diamond seem to think spring is near. They look as ready as ever and are only waiting for the all clear from woodsy to begin their NOBO through flight.

sheepdog
03-06-2009, 09:33
The waterfowl in Pennsylvania's Green Daimond seem to think spring is near. They look as ready as ever and are only waiting for the all clear from woodsy to begin their NOBO through flight.
Now that is what you call blue blazing!!!

sheepdog
03-06-2009, 09:33
Southern Maine is due for a heat wave on Saturday, supposed to hit mid-40's.
Only a northerner can appreciate that!!

Bearpaw
03-06-2009, 09:40
The low last night at my home was 59. I may not even need my underquilt in a week when I start the Pinhoti Trail. (Although I'll still take it).