PDA

View Full Version : Lodging near springer mountain

eitek
05-20-2004, 12:47
Hi all, I'm sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere but here it goes.
Does anyone recommend a hotel near springer. My wife and I will have to stay somewhere overnight before we start hiking the next day. Any suggestions?

Lone Wolf
05-20-2004, 12:52
There are several motels in Dahlonega, about 20 miles from the park. There is also lodging at Amicalola State Park. Call 706-265-8888 for info.

springerfever
05-20-2004, 13:01
Do a GOOGLE search for HIKE INN at Amicalola State Park. Actually on
an appraoch trail to Springer. Highly recommended !!

gravityman
05-20-2004, 14:03
There are several motels in Dahlonega, about 20 miles from the park. There is also lodging at Amicalola State Park. Call 706-265-8888 for info.

I second Amicalola State Park hotel. It was beautiful, at the top of the falls, and a lot of other hikers stay there so you might be some people.

Gravity Man

Tha Wookie
05-20-2004, 14:24
There is also hiker hostel (hikerhostel.com) nearby in Dalohnegah (sp?). I have always wanted to try the hike inn, called "lenn foot hike inn" or something like that. I think it's a 5 mile walk to there from the Amicalola SP parking lot. Search google for their website.

eitek
05-20-2004, 15:47
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks I have made my reservations in Dahlonega. I couldn't stay at the hike inn because I have some folks dropping us off that are not hikers and probably wouldn't have made the trip.
I have got to say this too, I am tickled to death to be going hiking for a month. I have never hiked the AT at all and have read all of the posts that are here and am so amped up I can hardly stand it. I hope to maybe run in to some of ya'll.
Take Care!

Jaybird
05-20-2004, 16:11
Hi all, I'm sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere but here it goes. Does anyone recommend a hotel near springer. My wife and I will have to stay somewhere overnight before we start hiking the next day. Any suggestions?

Yo eitek

welcome...& yes, there are many places to rest weary heads near Springer.....IMHO...the best probably would be the AMICALOLA FALLS STATE PARK LODGE (http://gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/)....you can sleep near the approach trail & get started on an AYCE breakfast buffet, lunch or dinner....
wooooooooooooooo-hooooooooooooooo! :D

good luck & happy hikin'!

max patch
05-20-2004, 17:39
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks I have made my reservations in Dahlonega

Don't miss dinner at the Smith House.

max patch
05-20-2004, 17:42
Does anyone recommend a hotel near springer.

For anyone hiking the approach trail the closest town to USFS 42 is Ellijay. There is lodging there but I don't remember any of the specifics. Use google if the usual hotel booking sites come up empty.

Rain Man
05-20-2004, 18:04
I second Amicalola State Park hotel. It was beautiful, at the top of the falls, and a lot of other hikers stay there so you might be some people.

I'll second your second. We stayed there February 28th and were really impressed for it being a state park lodge. You're right, it was full of hikers. Beautiful views. Good restaurant. Right on the approach trail. We'd go right back.

Rain Man

Sarge
05-20-2004, 20:24
I have got to say this too, I am tickled to death to be going hiking for a month. I have never hiked the AT at all and have read all of the posts that are here and am so amped up I can hardly stand it. I hope to maybe run in to some of ya'll.
Take Care!Eitek, when are you hiking? My wife and I will be going up for a week next month. Maybe we'll see you up there.
Sarge

eitek
05-21-2004, 07:58
Sarge, My wife and I should start hiking on May 30th and we should be hiking till about june 27th or so. I have been lurking on this board for some time and I bet I have read every post. It sure would be good to meet some of you folks.
Hope to see ya'll

Sarge
05-21-2004, 15:32
We'll be heading up on June 5th for 9 days so you'll probably be almost out of Georgia by then. We haven't figured out yet if we're going to start at Amicalola or Dick's Creek. If we start at Dick's Creek we may run into you. Have fun hiking!
Sarge