PDA

View Full Version : One Year Ago

Kirby
03-04-2009, 18:19
This past Sunday marked the one year anniversary of the day I started my AT thru hike. On this day one year ago I was hiking NOBO out of Woody's Gap, heading to Wood's Hole Shelter. I had just finished riding out a nasty storm at the Hiker Hostel.

You know the feeling I'm talking about. It's the "I'd rather be there and not here" feeling in your gut. It's knowing that instead of walking through the simplistically beautiful mountains of Northern Georgia, I'm sitting here working on an assignment for school.

What great memories the trail has given me. I will never forget those five months.

Pokey2006
03-04-2009, 18:20
You've got yourself a bad case of Springer Fever. Sorry, there ain't no cure.

Bulldawg
03-04-2009, 18:23
You've got yourself a bad case of Springer Fever. Sorry, there ain't no cure.

There is a cure, get back out there!!!:eek::eek:

Frick Frack
03-04-2009, 18:23
I was on Springer yesterday and I think I was more excited for everyone than they were for themselves. I love that place....I have Springer fever now too.....

the goat
03-04-2009, 18:25
get used to that feeling, it probably won't leave you for a while.

TOW
03-04-2009, 18:25
This past Sunday marked the one year anniversary of the day I started my AT thru hike. On this day one year ago I was hiking NOBO out of Woody's Gap, heading to Wood's Hole Shelter. I had just finished riding out a nasty storm at the Hiker Hostel.

You know the feeling I'm talking about. It's the "I'd rather be there and not here" feeling in your gut. It's knowing that instead of walking through the simplistically beautiful mountains of Northern Georgia, I'm sitting here working on an assignment for school.

What great memories the trail has given me. I will never forget those five months.Why don't you just quit school and come on back on the trail and become a hiking god like Lone Wolf?

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 18:26
9 years ago this coming Saturday... I had Springer Fever year 1, but not much since. I definitely get the Jones to hike, but have set my sights on other trails.

Lots of great trails across America Kirby. Find one you want to hike, and go for it! You won't regret it.

Kirby
03-04-2009, 18:30
I think I might be hiking Kilington next week when I go to visit a friend in VT, not sure though.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2009, 18:36
The best way to enjoy Killington in March is skiing the mashed potatoes on a warm day.

SawnieRobertson
03-04-2009, 18:49
Didn't you say that you'd be at American University in D. C. next fall? You've got a great future already in your hands. And, as a bonus, you'll be very close to the trail--Pennsylvania, anyone? Shennies, anyone? And we'll get to enjoy seeing you again and hearing your presentation in October. Meanwhile, bouncing back to the trail mentally does give each of us relief when ordinary goings on are just too much. Just think of those visions as aces in your pocket.--Kinnickinic

Kirby
03-04-2009, 19:52
I'm not sure if I'm making a presentation at the Gathering, I'll decide at some point.

ASUGrad
03-05-2009, 15:37
"Sorry, there ain't no cure."

That's because you ain't tried MORE COWBELL!!

Blissful
03-05-2009, 15:45
Yeah I felt that way last year. I mean I REALLY wanted to be out there. Not so much this year - got too much on my plate right now with work and family issues but am thinking about future hikes for sure. A small upcoming section next month too which I am looking forward to. And got myself a new down bag, sigh.

sherrill
03-05-2009, 15:51
26 years ago, March 17. I've been able to rationalize my "fever" since, but it always comes back. It's a great feeling.

Frick Frack
03-05-2009, 16:06
Four months havn't even gone by and I have Springer fever. When we were on the trail I knew exactly what to expect when times were tough but back in the real world with the economy the way it is I have never been so stressed I my whole life. When I was up on Springer Tuesday it was the most peaceful calming feeling...It felt so good to see all the NOBO's starting out and getting away from all this....

Sorry to whine but I havn't been unemployeed since I was 15....

garlic08
03-05-2009, 16:24
Kirby, best of luck getting through this bout of 'fever' and finishing your senior year and getting on to college. What a pleasure it was to meet you and Cookie and share a couple of days of Trail with you.

Footslogger
03-05-2009, 16:30
It's rapidly approaching the 6th anniversary of my start date and I still have the bug. Not sure I ever want to shake it either !!

'Slogger

Mother Nature
03-05-2009, 16:34
Glad to see you on line, Kirby. I got Springer Fever and was there over the weekend in the snow. Good stuff. Enjoyed meeting up with on the trail. Did Cookie finish with you?

Kirby
03-05-2009, 17:17
Glad to see you on line, Kirby. I got Springer Fever and was there over the weekend in the snow. Good stuff. Enjoyed meeting up with on the trail. Did Cookie finish with you?

Yeah, we finished together.

chiefduffy
03-06-2009, 05:36
I got it bad this year, too. Been two years for me. So I'm planning a two week section this year, ending at Trail Days. Best I can do, and I'm gonna love every hurting, sweating, cold, hungry, tired minute of it!!:banana

fiddlehead
03-06-2009, 09:00
My first day on a thru hike at Springer was in 1977.
I guess that's 32 years ago now.

That day changed my life in many ways. For one, i got the bug just like most of you on here and spent a lot of time long distance hiking over the next 30 years.

But another thing that happened that first day:
As we got dropped off at the bottom of the falls for the aproach trail. A taxi cab pulled up and someone got out with a dress shirt and tie and proceeded to put on a backpack and start out with us.
Over the next few days we got to know this man from NY City and he told us some stories about a place called Nepal and hiking in the Himalayas there and Asian people and Buddhism and happy poor people and Sherpas etc.

Those stories were on my mind a lot in the next 12 years until i finally got the chance to go to the Himalayas and find out all of what he said was true.

Proceeded to fall in love with Asia and these people.

Even 10 years ago, i never would've dreamed though that i'd be a permanent resident here in Thailand and married with a 3 year old half Thai-half American son.

I don't remember his name but i'll never forget him stepping out of that cab in those clothes and putting on that big pack. (there were no small packs back in those days)