PDA

View Full Version : Who is this man? Who are the true elite hikers?

Deerleg
03-04-2009, 19:31
There was a recent thread on hiking gurus, but who are the true elite hikers? Obviously there are a couple that would be on both lists, but I think a few of these hard core hikers stay under the radar. I ran into this guy around Peaks of Otter on the AT on February 24th. (Pictured below) "Trek" is his trail name and he said he is retired military and attempting his SEVENTH thru hike! Love to find out more about him if anyone knows who he is.
How many guys have thru hiked at least 5 times, or done a triple crown, and hiked at least 2 more thrus on the AT? It can’t be a very long list. I think these guys are amazing.

http://i43.tinypic.com/10zcr9y.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i43.tinypic.com/10zcr9y.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

the goat
03-04-2009, 19:38
How many guys have thru hiked at least 5 times, or done a triple crown, and hiked at least 2 more thrus on the AT? It can’t be a very long list. I think these guys are amazing.

as to the first two: the list isn't very long at all.

as for those w/ 2 thrus though, i think you'd find that list rather long.

Mags
03-04-2009, 19:41
Thru-hiking the same trail 7 times does not make you an elite hiker. It means you found your groove on one very particular trail.

Hell, being a Triple Crowner does not mean you are an elite hiker. It just means you've been an unemployed hiking bum at least three times. :)

Mags...current unemployed hiking bum.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2009, 19:43
The only elite hiker I've ever met or expect to:

www.atmuseum.org/images/earlshaffer.jpg

kayak karl
03-04-2009, 19:43
he tented next to me on springer. last i saw was the back of his pack new years day morn:) gave me a lot of advice and it all held true.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2009, 19:44
How about Colin Fletcher?
John Muir?
Jardine?
WF?
WD?
Garvey?
There are a lot of others we could debate too, including a few who post here

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 19:47
Unless the guy pictured in post #1 was aware that his photo was going to be splashed on WB, I don't think it is very appropriate to do that and list the date and location that the individual was sighted.

If on the other hand, he was aware that was your intent, by all means...

I say that because lots of folks like to hike in anonymity.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2009, 19:51
Well, in that he supplied his hiking autobiography and seems to have very happily posed for the above photograph, Mowgli........

Ok, right. You got it. Anonymity is a sacred thing.

Word to the wise. If you don't wanna be on the internet, don't grin for the camera. :D

Deerleg
03-04-2009, 19:52
Thru-hiking the same trail 7 times does not make you an elite hiker. It means you found your groove on one very particular trail.

Maybe not elite, but exclusive club. Trek said for him it was "a way of life" and that after 2-3 weeks off a trail he is back out there. Somewhere. Defiantly the AT is his groove. Some might say fanatic. But its the fanatics that probably stretch the envelop of innovation...

bigcranky
03-04-2009, 19:55

I think I agree with Mags. These guys have a lot of free time....Not that they aren't amazing.

Kirby
03-04-2009, 19:56
Elite hikers? Pickle and Garlic come to mind.

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 19:56
Hikers don't impress me. Trail Maintainers do.

Bulldawg
03-04-2009, 20:05

How about folks who lobby to save land on which these maintainers maintain?

Lilred
03-04-2009, 20:07
Model T? He turned 70 on his fourth thru hike

DuctTape
03-04-2009, 20:15
Andrew Skurka. The guy finished second in The Leadville 100 on a friggin whim, among endless other madness.

mrc237
03-04-2009, 20:20
I've met 1st time thru hikers in N.Car. who thought they were elite and 1st timers in Me that knew they were elite. Most multiple thru hikers triple crowners etc I know are usually humble folks. For me its just walking and if you got the time and the $ its lotsa walking.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2009, 20:21
you got that right!!!!!!!!!!!

mtnkngxt
03-04-2009, 20:24
Jeff at MRO was telling me about Trek the other guy, apparently the guy is like lightning. Jeff said that when Karl was passing Damascus Trek was already atleast up near Roanoke.

Deerleg
03-04-2009, 20:32
Jeff at MRO was telling me about Trek the other guy, apparently the guy is like lightning. Jeff said that when Karl was passing Damascus Trek was already atleast up near Roanoke.
He might be in Shenandoah National Park by now unless the snow storm slowed him down.

Tipi Walter
03-04-2009, 20:43
There was a recent thread on hiking gurus, but who are the true elite hikers? Obviously there are a couple that would be on both lists, but I think a few of these hard core hikers stay under the radar. I ran into this guy around Peaks of Otter on the AT on February 24th. (Pictured below) "Trek" is his trail name and he said he is retired military and attempting his SEVENTH thru hike! Love to find out more about him if anyone knows who he is.

There is a healthy fascination with backpackers who have done a long trail many times. I think there are two different egos at work here, the speedsters and long trail record breakers who can make a name for themselves in one season, and the thru-hike repeaters who stay out for extended periods of time. Most backpackers would not consider camping for long periods of time while thruhiking a long trail to be an avenue to punch their glory tickets or as a way to break any records. How many backpackers want to stay out for months living out of their packs and thereby set some sort of record? Even if they did, no one would really care.

But these records are still being kept as evidenced by counting Jack's thruhikes or how many times Warren Doyle did the AT or the history of Ward Leonard or the 13 purported thruhikes of Seiko. Speedsters can make a name for themselves in one season, whereas the long term thruhikers who stay out the most and get the most bag nights require 10 or 20 years to be noticed. Is being noticed important? Well, unless you can clearly say you have no ego, then yes, we all want to be known for something.

Maybe not elite, but exclusive club. Trek said for him it was "a way of life" and that after 2-3 weeks off a trail he is back out there. Somewhere. Defiantly the AT is his groove. Some might say fanatic. But its the fanatics that probably stretch the envelop of innovation...

I don't know if I'd call it innovation, we did all come from a long line of wandering nomads and gatherers. What is so unusual for a person to stay outdoors for most of his life on a long trail, where the opportunity to do so presents itself? Primitive humans have been living outdoors and hiking nonstop for most of the last 150,000 plus years. It may be unusual now in this day and age to do so, but our current mechanical, indoor culture may just be a passing phase and a brief blip in the history of humans.

Cabin Fever
03-04-2009, 20:46

AMEN to that. Model T is one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He is great to everyone, makes you laugh and doesn't have an elitest, jaded personality like some.

Bearpaw
03-04-2009, 20:54
Hiking is not a competition. It's hard to call someone elite without some sort of competition involved.

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 21:02
I would wonder about a hiker that wanted to be one of the elite and was asking how to qualify. Maybe he should check the scoreboards at the trail heads to see if he is winning.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-04-2009, 21:02
No such thing as an elite hiker in my book-just people that maybe have more time on their hands to do something they enjoy I don't even like the term elite it implys a phoney superiority which I despise

Tipi Walter
03-04-2009, 21:11
No such thing as an elite hiker in my book-just people that maybe have more time on their hands to do something they enjoy I don't even like the term elite it implys a phoney superiority which I despise

Hikers and backpackers have egos just like anyone else. I can hear the reply: Speak for yourself. But I've meant plenty of backpackers with chips on their shoulders and the macho desire to outwalk their companions and notch up the miles. Ambition is in all walks of life, why wouldn't it be in backpacking? And with ambition comes careers and the punching of tickets and hence the use of the term 'elite'.

DAJA
03-04-2009, 21:23
I'm wondering if maybe the OP meant "legendary" rather than elite. Legendary in the sense that they accomplished incredible feats, while behaving in an honerable fashion...

slow
03-04-2009, 21:37
Colter,Mags,Fiddlehead.:)

Colter has seen all in hiking.

Mags will walk to the end for wine.:)

Fiddlehead will make it work.

stranger
03-04-2009, 21:40
I agree, egos are all over the trail. I met Warren Doyle last year on my hike, I had me him before, and this guy I was hiking with at the time asked him about his hikes and I recall Warren saying 14, my companion said "that must make you a god" and he laughed and said "it might make me crazy but that's about it" - I enjoyed that humility by such a figure.

Lugnut
03-04-2009, 22:08
Hell, I hiked 4 miles and that was just today! :D

rambunny
03-04-2009, 22:10
For their curse is The Gypsy Blood ,and they don't know how to rest.

maxNcathy
03-04-2009, 22:28
Most hikers I met have been fun to be around.What I like to see is their enthusiasm for being on a great adventure.

I wonder if veteran hikers would still show this genuine enthusiasm..I have not hiked with anyone who has hiked the AT more than once.

buff_jeff
03-04-2009, 22:29
How does one become an elite hiker? I feel compelled to quote Lone Wolf here...it's just walking.

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 22:33
Most hikers I met have been fun to be around.What I like to see is their enthusiasm for being on a great adventure.

I wonder if veteran hikers would still show this genuine enthusiasm..
I consider myself a hiker that has done a few miles. I love every hike.

I have not hiked with anyone who has hiked the AT more than once.
I have. They seem to enjoy hiking too.

Blissful
03-04-2009, 22:36
What is the elite? Shoudn't matter how much or little of a trail or trails you do. You are a hiker, even if you can only do a quarter mile. You're richer for it too.
But as for mentors, Ed Garvey was my fan from my teen years.

:)

McKeever
03-04-2009, 22:46
This brings up a question if you are trying to define elite and get into their heads. Are more long distance hikers introverted or extroverted that have multiple hikes? Is there a trend? To be elite, does one have to have world wide hiking experiences? No discussion can be complete without mentioning NW Nomad. Jardine has done much hiking and we all know he is accomplished in other sports but perhaps only Nomad will succeed Fletcher. Whatdoyathink?

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 22:52
Elite hikers -ones that want to be recognized as elite by others. People that would consider them elite for some ambiguous set of standards. Once you set those standards - then watch the flock of people going for it so they can claim to be elite.

But who cares.

A hiker can hike the 30 times for his own enjoyment and not need to be elite. He can hike AT, PCT, CDT, ECT, speed hike the AT in 48 days, etc, etc, etc... and never care if anyone recognizes his accomplishments.

camojack
03-04-2009, 23:00
Neither of 'em impress me...after all, I'm in both categories. :-?

Vagrant Squirrel
03-04-2009, 23:07
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going out there for myself... To get away from all the craziness of the world. That includes egos and competitions. I could give a crap about impressing anyone. And the only people who stand a chance at impressing me are humble, laid back people who are just out there for fun and adventure. I'm looking forward to meeting fellow hikers on the trail, but if you got a chip or an elitist attitude, please stay the hell away from me.

McKeever
03-04-2009, 23:10
Perhaps not defined as elite per se, but recognized for being able to experience what most of us do not have time for, but want.

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 23:12
Perhaps not defined as elite per se, but recognized for being able to experience what most of us do not have time for, but want.
Wouldn't that be an individual thing then?

Say you want to hike the AT 7 times - then you consider Jack Tarlin elite. He would probably disagree with you.

Say you want the coolest following on the trail, then Minnessota Smith is your elite. He may agree with you.

Say you want to BlueBlaze all the side trails of the AT you can. Lone Wolf is who you may consider elite. But you better not call him that to his face.

But if you decide that one of these guys is elite, be prepared for it when no one else does.:-?

Feral Bill
03-04-2009, 23:38
For their curse is The Gypsy Blood ,and they don't know how to rest.

Please credit others (Robert Service) when you quote their work.

McKeever
03-04-2009, 23:40
Wouldn't that be an individual thing then?

Say you want to hike the AT 7 times - then you consider Jack Tarlin elite. He would probably disagree with you.

Say you want the coolest following on the trail, then Minnessota Smith is your elite. He may agree with you.

Say you want to BlueBlaze all the side trails of the AT you can. Lone Wolf is who you may consider elite. But you better not call him that to his face.

But if you decide that one of these guys is elite, be prepared for it when no one else does.:-?

Yes, it is an individual thing, and more. This is getting into defining the term elite. I can only speak for myself in that I refer back to my earlier post that it is recognition, and therefore respect for these people for all the many ways they have contributed to the trail and lifestyle we hold so high in life, not placing anyone on a pedestal. I look forward to following everyone else's thoughts here.

Ox97GaMe
03-04-2009, 23:43
A lot of factors would go into my considerations for persons in this category. I have often said that unless a hiker expands beyond a single trail, they really arent experiencing what it is really about. We all hear about the big 3 trails, but there are tens of thousands of trail miles in the US. Someone once told me that 90% of this nation's true beauty is more than 5 miles from the road. Having hiked and driven all across this country, I would have to say that could be a very accurate number.

I would say that an elite hiker is one that wants to explore a lot of different places, under different hiking conditions, in different seasons, meeting different people.

I wouldnt label people like WD as an elite hiker. He is definitely on an elite list for number of times on the AT. But, he does only the one trail, and he does it the same way every time. If you have ever been on a WD led trip, you know that it is his way, or the highway. There is no HYOH with WD, and he is one of the first people to tell you what he thinks you are doing wrong with any hike you might be taking. And there are a lot people that I put in that same category.

Elite hikers are ones that have a broad knowledge and are willing to aid/assist/guide/mentor others willingly. Self centered, egotistical hikers dont make my list at all.

High Life
03-04-2009, 23:56
I'm not elite but i plan on having 2 thru's by the end of this year
flip'd in 07 , Harpers to Rangeley 08 GAME 09 ? i hope ..

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 00:09
A lot of factors would go into my considerations for persons in this category. I have often said that unless a hiker expands beyond a single trail, they really arent experiencing what it is really about. We all hear about the big 3 trails, but there are tens of thousands of trail miles in the US. Someone once told me that 90% of this nation's true beauty is more than 5 miles from the road. Having hiked and driven all across this country, I would have to say that could be a very accurate number.

I would say that an elite hiker is one that wants to explore a lot of different places, under different hiking conditions, in different seasons, meeting different people.

I wouldnt label people like WD as an elite hiker. He is definitely on an elite list for number of times on the AT. But, he does only the one trail, and he does it the same way every time. If you have ever been on a WD led trip, you know that it is his way, or the highway. There is no HYOH with WD, and he is one of the first people to tell you what he thinks you are doing wrong with any hike you might be taking. And there are a lot people that I put in that same category.

Elite hikers are ones that have a broad knowledge and are willing to aid/assist/guide/mentor others willingly. Self centered, egotistical hikers dont make my list at all.
I don't know. I have guys I will listen too that haven't even finished one long trail. They just seem to know what they are talking about when they talk about it. Doesn't make them elite. I imagine the ones I would listen to wouldn't want to be considered elite by anyone either.

Maybe elite isn't the word people should be using.

Wheeler
03-05-2009, 00:22
"Elite (occasionally spelled Élite) is taken originally from the Latin, eligere, "to elect". In sociology as in general usage, the elite is a relatively small dominant group within a large society, which enjoys a privileged status envied by individuals of lower social status.
The position of an elite at the top of the social strata almost invariably puts it in a position of leadership and often subjects the holders of elite status to pressure to maintain their position as part of the elite. However, in spite of the pressures, the existence of the elite social stratum is usually unchanged. " Could be we've never heard of this person.

Monkeyboy
03-05-2009, 00:26
MonkeyBoy is the BOMB!!!

Thanks, Rock!

Monkeyboy
03-05-2009, 00:26
:)

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 00:27
I probably meant this:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/34000/Monkey-Bomb--34052.jpg

ARambler
03-05-2009, 00:31

I recommend you pass the plate before the sermon. Glad to know why I should be putting down 14 time thur hikers and every trail maintainer who stays withing 1000 miles of home.

No wonder good people don't want to be considered elite.
Rambler

Monkeyboy
03-05-2009, 00:32
Gotta cook my bananas somehow..........

Deerleg
03-05-2009, 00:37
...Maybe elite isn't the word people should be using.

Agreed.
How about accomplished or legendary. I was bestowing my admiration for the accomplishment of this small group. Perhaps a bad choice of an adjective at the start of the thread. I am fascinated by what ever it is that gives one such focus to be one of a handful of folks that to me has pulled off something legendary. I know we all have it in us and our ancestors did it for thousands of years, but in 2009 you just don't meet too many that still do;). In my short encounter with Trek he seemed to have a quiet sense of pride and not much of an ego that cared one way or the other what I thought about his accomplishment. Seemed like a very cool guy and I would have loved to spent more time with him.

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 00:44
Wouldn't that also come from within?

So you hiked the trail 14 times, you may still seek the recognition of others by proclaiming it in every shelter and telling everyone you meet in the first 30 seconds.

Or you may have lived in the woods 270 days out of every year for the last 15 years of your life and are content with yourself and could care less if you walk from some point A to some point B. I know one hiker on here that probably ain't done any of the long trails but probably knows more about living in the wild than any thru-hiker on the site. He is also a little odd...

Is it miles that make the hiker? Is it trails that make the hiker?

skinewmexico
03-05-2009, 00:46
I don't know about elite hikers, but there are some pretty elite atheletes doing it out there.

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 00:46
There are also some very non-athletic people doing it too.

McKeever
03-05-2009, 01:00
"Elite (occasionally spelled Élite) is taken originally from the Latin, eligere, "to elect". In sociology as in general usage, the elite is a relatively small dominant group within a large society, which enjoys a privileged status envied by individuals of lower social status.
The position of an elite at the top of the social strata almost invariably puts it in a position of leadership and often subjects the holders of elite status to pressure to maintain their position as part of the elite. However, in spite of the pressures, the existence of the elite social stratum is usually unchanged. " Could be we've never heard of this person.

wikipedia....

Deerleg
03-05-2009, 01:16
Wouldn't that also come from within?...
Is it miles that make the hiker? Is it trails that make the hiker?

All great questions. Don't know. Accomplishment? Overcoming hardship? Reaching a goal? I think the AT is one of many venues that we gain some sense of fulfillment, level of accomplishment, acclaim for some perhaps, but I think for most maybe to find a quiet place within ourselves. Conceivably a small group choose to stay in that quiet place and the trail is nothing more than a setting to accomplish that end. For others its living in the woods, or a monastery, or maybe sailing the ocean alone...I guess I admire the simplicity, sacrifice and discipline of those that pull it off at such a high level.

skinewmexico
03-05-2009, 01:28
There are also some very non-athletic people doing it too.

I would have to get more athletic to make that group.

Nearly Normal
03-05-2009, 01:36
Elite? Wow, I hope they have there own patch.

ed bell
03-05-2009, 02:10
Wouldn't that also come from within?

So you hiked the trail 14 times, you may still seek the recognition of others by proclaiming it in every shelter and telling everyone you meet in the first 30 seconds.

Or you may have lived in the woods 270 days out of every year for the last 15 years of your life and are content with yourself and could care less if you walk from some point A to some point B. I know one hiker on here that probably ain't done any of the long trails but probably knows more about living in the wild than any thru-hiker on the site. He is also a little odd...

Is it miles that make the hiker? Is it trails that make the hiker? Great points, and I'll add that any person I meet in the woods as a stranger that I quickly recognize as a fellow hiker is a special occurrence that you simply cannot enjoy on the street. Anyone who has experienced this knows what I mean.

TD55
03-05-2009, 02:17
I'm afraid that if I try to figure out who is elite and who ain't, I'll be acting like an elitist.

Wheeler
03-05-2009, 02:58

yes wikepedia, my bad.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2009, 03:06
here y'all go again, puttin' folks on a pedastal for walkin' on a man-made path :rolleyes:

TD55
03-05-2009, 03:15
AHH, once again we have balance.

High Life
03-05-2009, 03:24
here y'all go again, puttin' folks on a pedastal for walkin' on a man-made path :rolleyes:

Agreed ... Btw did you watch charlie the unicorn2 ?

Egads
03-05-2009, 06:58
say You Want To Hike The At 7 Times - Then You Consider Jack Tarlin Elite. He Would Probably Disagree With You.

Say You Want The Coolest Following On The Trail, Then Minnesota Smith Is Your Elite. He May Agree With You.

Lmao

warren doyle
03-05-2009, 07:25
"So you hiked the trail 14 times, you may still seek the recognition of others by proclaiming it in every shelter and telling everyone you meet in the first 30 seconds."

An incorrect statement with a negatively exaggerated tone posted by an individual who hasn't even walked the entire trail once.

Another incorrect statement (in italics)

I agree, egos are all over the trail. I met Warren Doyle last year on my hike, I had met him before, and this guy I was hiking with at the time asked him about his hikes and I recall Warren saying 14, my companion said "that must make you a god" and he laughed and said "it might make me crazy but that's about it" - I enjoyed that humility by such a figure.

A more accurate statement.

double d
03-05-2009, 09:40
With regards to the orginal quesiton asked, I would say Colin Fletcher would be among the very select few of elite hikers, read his books and you'll see why, very unique person and hiker.

Blue Jay
03-05-2009, 10:00
Trek is the real deal. I've seen his entries up here for years and years and finally had the priviledge to meet him last year at a shelter in Heriman State Park. The fact that he does it in the winter is admirable as anyone who has done any LD in the winter knows. It's one thing to do overnighters or weekends in the cold, but to stay out there night after night is unusual. I'm not sure his picture should be included here just because he smiled for the shot. As for an elite hiker, never met one and hope I never do.

Gray Blazer
03-05-2009, 11:29
John Chapman

Ekul
03-05-2009, 11:56
John Francis Phd--Planet Walker--22 years of walking 17 years of silence.

BombDiggity
03-05-2009, 12:45
My Dad is! Maybe some of yall heard of him, CrumbSnatcher, He's the man.....

JJJ
03-05-2009, 13:04
Here's one walker that bears more research, John "Walking" Stewart (19 February 1747 – 20 February 1822

But my all time favorite walker and renunciant is Peace Pilgrim (http://www.peacepilgrim.com/)

kyhipo
03-05-2009, 13:27
always loved PAH PAH,out of kentucky in his 80's he was and was still hiking.ky

Lone Wolf
03-05-2009, 13:33
always loved PAH PAH,out of kentucky in his 80's he was and was still hiking.ky

Paw Paw. 93 years old

TD55
03-05-2009, 13:39
Trek is the real deal. I've seen his entries up here for years and years and finally had the priviledge to meet him last year at a shelter in Heriman State Park. The fact that he does it in the winter is admirable as anyone who has done any LD in the winter knows. It's one thing to do overnighters or weekends in the cold, but to stay out there night after night is unusual. I'm not sure his picture should be included here just because he smiled for the shot. As for an elite hiker, never met one and hope I never do.
The elitist is probably the person who takes pictures of someone and than figures the have the right or authority to post the persons picture and location on the trail without permission from the person.:-?

kyhipo
03-05-2009, 14:05
Paw Paw. 93 years old
good to hear your ok LW,take care!ky

Ekul
03-05-2009, 14:42
The elitist is probably the person who takes pictures of someone and than figures the have the right or authority to post the persons picture and location on the trail without permission from the person.:-?

always gotta rain on the parade. :confused:.

weary
03-05-2009, 14:56
Mowgli. Hikers don't impress me. Trail Maintainers do.

How about folks who lobby to save land on which these maintainers maintain?
I'll go along with these comments and add, the elites are also those who become part of the hiking community -- the Jack Tarlins, the Lone Wolves, Warren Doyles, Paw Paws, and scores of others.

Weary www.matlt.org

MOWGLI
03-05-2009, 15:12

He's right, despite what some of the attention seeking hikers have said in this thread.

TD55
03-05-2009, 15:14
Just a little cloud burst over the first float.

Monkeyboy
03-05-2009, 16:02
I agree with Rock, MonkeyBoy is THE MAN

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Wolf..........glad to see you are coming around!!!

:D

hootyhoo
03-05-2009, 19:56
I have a lot of respect for those that hike any long trail. I consider it a undertaking worthy of praise.
Maybe one day it will happen for me as well. If so I will pat myself on the back (and other places he,he) and that will be enough.
I like the guys and gals that do not post their creds on their page - and then you find out later that they have done the AT or PCT or both - that is cool.
My closet claim to fame is not much - I am 90 miles from finishing all the trails in the Smokies - I live 45 minutes from the Smokies - I have made no effort in the last few years to complete that last 90 - reason - its no big deal - I am too busy hiking with my bestie the beastie, Rooty my dog.

Those that have made hiking their life are, in my books, the gurus - they live to hike, long trail or not.

Kanati
03-05-2009, 22:31

LR-at the recent WB Nashville dinner and talk, I purchased one of Model T's books, "Walkin On The Happy Side of Misery." I was reading it late today and on page 229 he recounts while at Old Orchard shelter in VA, talking to a group of college students and their professor when one of the students ask "What do you eat out here?" to which he replied "We're having a breakfast of grits, followed by coffee. Let me demonstrate." He then quickly finished off the grits and explained the clean up routine as he poured an inch of water in the pot, added a spoonful of instant coffee, and scrubbed the dregs from the side of the pot with his toothbrush while he waited for the water to heat. Then, with a show of bravado that hadn't been included in MY clean up checklist, he brushed his teeth in the coffee and drank it with a loud sucking noise. "There! That's the way we do it out here," he proudly brayed.

When I read this, I instantly thought of the current thread about Hiker Trash. I'm sure his audience left there with that opinion of him.

LOL :sun

WILLIAM HAYES
03-05-2009, 22:38
I would not confuse ambition with elitism totally different

Del Q
03-05-2009, 22:44
I ran into Trek last year, no need to say where or when, suffice it to say he seems to start early and nor much dust settles on his boots. He just LOVES being out on the AT, has found his passion, was helpful, provided needed tips for me to better enjoy my experiences. Saw the picture of him January 1st on Springer, does pretty big miles, do the math. My guess I will not be seeing him in Virginia in a few weeks.

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 23:01
An incorrect statement with a negatively exaggerated tone posted by an individual who hasn't even walked the entire trail once.

Warren I really didn't mean you - just using hyperbole as an example. If I offended you it was never my intention and I apologize.

TD55
03-05-2009, 23:16
... an individual who hasn't even walked the entire trail once.

Does this qualify as an elitist mind set?

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 23:28
I have walked a few thousand miles of other trails and non trails, but I guess they don't count...

But anyway - I really meant that. I didn't mean to offend Warren.