PDA

View Full Version : Hanover 2009

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2009, 20:17
I was originally gonna do a description of what's going on in Hanover, concentrating on errors and omissions in the 2009 Guidebooks, but truth be told, this year's books pretty much got things right.

Happily, there aren't a lot of whoppers, except for maybe App.Pages dropping the ball and telling folks there's nowhere legit to camp anywhere south of Velvet Rocks Shelter, which, needless to say, is entirely mistaken, the "soccer field" campsites are alive, kincking, and,according to Hanover police, are perfectly OK.

Actually, ALL of the books have a few errors with their Hanover pages, tho happily they're very minor ones.....the Handbook has Jewel of India restaurant on the wrong corner; the Companion has done the same thing with Jewel of India. App. Pages' map lists the Dartmouth Baker Library as a place you might wanna eat which would come as a surprise to anyone that's ever been there hungry; likewise, according to them you can catch a meal at Rosey Jekes cafe if a lousy seven dollar cucumber sandwich is your idea of a good time. Other things: The Handbook is wrong, the convenience store (formerly Foodstop, now called Irving's) is no longer open 24 hours; the Companion lists Omer and Bob's as still being open as an outdoor store, tho it closed many months ago; several new restaurants have been opened that are omitted in several or all of the books, Gusano's, next to Ben and Jerry's, allegedly has good reasonably priced Mexican food, tho the political bumper stickers plastered on the owners' vehicle have regrettably prevented me from spending any moiney there and finding out first hand) and there's the brand new Yama (Japanese/Korean) restuarant across from CVS and Irving's, which is brand new, spotless, quite good, and over-priced.

Best news going is that 5 Olde Nugget Alley, which has always been the most hiker friendly place in town is now under new management, and the new owners, who are delightful, have made it very clear to me that they want lots of hikers to drop by this summer. In fact, they're working on a hiker special, most likely some sort of monstrous burger, which we may field test tomorrow night before I leave town. Tentative plans for it involves a cheeseburger approximately the size of your head, served with cheese onion rings on top, (!!) and a PBR draft, price to be determined. 5-Olde is already the only remotely normal place in town to get a burger and a beer without forfeiting your firstborn's birthright (Hanover regrattably has turned very pricey in recent years) so I'm sure whatever thesegood folks decide, it's gonna be great for the hikers. Please note that owner Vinny at Ramunto's Brick and Brew Pizza is still promising free slices to folks announcing themselves as thru-hikers; good for App. Pages to hightlight this for hikers, and too bad the other books dropped the ball on this one......a free slice is a very good thing. Oh, and EBA's may be under new ownership come summertime; specials and buffets will hopefully continue. Details on Hanover to follow, assuming I survive tommorow's dinner at 5-Olde.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2009, 21:15
Ditto on 5 Olde. My wife and I ate there about two months ago. A little hard to find if you don't know where it is--its in a little alley. Friendly service, good atmosphere-not snobby, good food, cold beer, at reasonable prices. We were walking up the street looking at menus and prices at all the places in town and as we neared the alley a guy recommended 5 Olde--turned out to be the owner.

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 21:30
As I recall the wording in AP is "please don't camp between town and the shelter" - I don't recall it saying it was illegal.

Frick Frack
03-04-2009, 21:59
We didn't camp at the fields because (a) it was pouring & (b) word was hikers were having their stuff stolen there.

We looked forward to the Jewel of India for weeks before we arrived and it was the absolute worst Indian food I & 3 others have ever eaten. I would not even mention that place. Ughh....

The Hanover CoOp was an EXCELLENT resupply, best on the trail & the Dirt Cowboy Cafe was the best coffee we had on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2009, 22:02
lous diner stil open? loved the burgers

sly dog
03-04-2009, 22:16
I have only been to Hanover once but what a time i had trying to find a place to park. Got the total runaround by Dartmouth security and ended up parking at the hospital for a week. Cool town but get some long term parking, ya park on the street and you will be towed and all the lots have a pay per hour but have a certain limit.No problem for thru hikers but not to end a section hike.

Lybarger
03-05-2009, 08:37
Jack,

Have you ever had the opportunity to visit Tigger's Treehouse in Etna? Just wondering what kind of facility they run for hikers overnighting near Hanover.

High Life
03-05-2009, 09:17
ha in 2007 i camped in the field , just in the edge
arrived at midnight and out by sunrise .. i'll forget how sick i was
remember to treat your water at thistle hill folks , oh brother

MileMonster
03-05-2009, 10:51
Lou's is still doing their thing. Good breakfast, albeit a little pricey.

Jack Tarlin
03-05-2009, 17:17
1. Haven't visited Tigger's, but have heard good things.
2. Lou's is indeed still open, and is still pricey. Try EBA's for breakfast
instead.
3. There is a long-term parking lot at the college. Call college security at
(643) 646-4600 for details, or try the Dartmouth Outing Club at 646-2429
4. Most hikers prefer India Quen to Jewel of India, and the owner of Jewel is
super friendly.
5. I've never heard of anyone getting their stuff stolen from the "soccer field"
campsite, tho if you do camp there, break down your stuff in the morning,
i.e. don't leave it there all day as this is a high use area, and conceivably
someone might take a fancy to it or think you abandoned it.

Kirby
03-05-2009, 17:24
Not sure where exactly in Hanover you can camp, it was unclear. I camped about 5 feet into the woods just of the AT going NOBO out of town. Convenient as it was about 1 block from the grocery store.

Jack Tarlin
03-05-2009, 17:26
That's exactly where town officials and cops WANT you to camp, Kirby. You did just fine.

(Actually the good campsites are a bit further into the woods to the left of the Trail, and are very easy to find).

rickb
03-05-2009, 19:20
How does eating at a Dartmouth dining hall rate for a person coming off the AT these days? Worth considering?

Tinker
03-05-2009, 19:25
I ate at one during the 2005 Aldha gathering in Hanover and the food was very good. I can't remember the price, but remember thinking how much better of a deal it was than eating at Lou's (which is a place I love to take my wealthier :p friends).

Kirby
03-05-2009, 19:30
Hanover is a great trail town, one of my favorites.