PDA

View Full Version : Flora/Fauna Guide?

datachomper
03-04-2009, 22:37
I think I would really dig identifying trees and flowers on the trail. Can anybody recommend a good identification book? Or has somebody tried this before and ended up sending it back home? :-?

Blissful
03-04-2009, 22:41
Check (http://www.amazon.com/Wildflowers-Appalachian-Trail-Official-Guides/dp/0897322959)this out. I went to the presentation by the author. He showed some awesome photography.

emerald
03-04-2009, 23:47
Better to have good photos. Identify what you see when you get home.

burger
03-05-2009, 10:41
If you want to know your wildflowers, Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Newcombs-Wildflower-Guide-Lawrence-Newcomb/dp/0316604429/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236263815&sr=8-1) is the gold standard--the drawings are just terrific, and it should have literally every flower, vine, or shrub that you'll see on the trail (unlike the guide that Blissful recommended, which looks like it only has selected species). For trees, there are a lot fewer species, so you can probably get away with something smaller like this book (http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Finder-Manual-Identification-Leaves/dp/0912550015/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236263856&sr=1-1).

I carried Newcomb's with me for the first 150 miles of a long section I did a few years back, but I ended up sending it home because there were relatively few flowers out, and I wanted to make miles. Of course, that was in June, and there are a lot more flowers out in spring and late summer than mid-summer, so you might get more use out of it at other times of year.

MoBill122
03-05-2009, 10:56
I always take lots of pictures...then try to identify the flowers, trees, etc when at home

Valentine
03-05-2009, 11:10
Don't go eatin' them mushrooms! Mushroom identification is very difficult in my opinion. Some of them will definetly make your liver damaged beyond repair.

JAK
03-05-2009, 11:11
I like to learn while I am out there. I wouldn't wait until after the trip.
I never knew how little I knew until my daughter started asking questions.

Still, I find identification of plants really hard. Trees are hard enough. The little stuff is even harder.
I've found it best to begin with the stuff you see the most of, but on the AT, that would be alot.

I hope you find a really good guide book. I would say if you do find one you should bring it with you, or perhaps make your own smaller guide book from it devoted to the plants and trees and animals you expect to see. That might start the learning process and cut down on the pages. Another option would be to use a camera and sketch book and collect samples of the stuff that is abundant, and then use libraries in towns to help you learn what things are, and people along the way. Might be an interesting thing to discuss at shelters.

datachomper
03-05-2009, 12:09
I'm leaving March 16. Will there even be any leaves or flowers out to identify? Or should I wait and ship myself a book closer to spring?

Pony
03-05-2009, 14:06
Don't go eatin' them mushrooms! Mushroom identification is very difficult in my opinion. Some of them will definetly make your liver damaged beyond repair.

http://www.gmushrooms.com/MHK.JPG

I dunno, I found some of these in North Ga. last spring. They were mighty tasty.

Do people not eat morrels in the south? Most people thought I was crazy for eating them.

emerald
03-05-2009, 14:44
I'm leaving March 16. Will there even be any leaves or flowers out to identify? Or should I wait and ship myself a book closer to spring?

Nothing until April, unless you want to work on identifying woody plants by bud or bark.

JAK
03-05-2009, 15:05
You can identify stuff all year round but it would be much harder to find a book to help you do that. Great topic for a book, would be a field guide specific to the AT, and specific to different sections of the trail and months of the year. Don't let that stop you though.

I would suggest doing your own research first to come up with a list of say 100 species you are most likely or most interested in finding, and then from one or more references make your own field guide on when and where and how you might identify them, and some blank pages for adding notes and observations as you go. Have fun with this. Sounds like a very worthwhile way to add value to you're experience.

JAK
03-05-2009, 15:09
Any university library in the East might be a good place to look for good reference guides, specific to the Appalachian Trail even, but perhaps condemned to academia forever until you dig it out. Good hunting.