PDA

View Full Version : Skivvies

fenderbenderfc
03-05-2009, 00:54
I am looking for some skivvies for baackpacking. I have some UnderArmour boxer briefs but they ride up and have no odor resistance. I am thinking I want try wool... Does anyone have any recommendations?

Many Walks
03-05-2009, 01:04
Wool skivvies sound itchy. Go without, keep yourself clean. No worries.

Maddog
03-05-2009, 02:27
yep, go commando!

JAK
03-05-2009, 08:52
I mix it up. Try alot of different things. No sense taking two of the same.
One set of cotton flannel boxers is ok as long as its your only item of cotton. If they are decent looking, like plaid with a button fly, you can often wear them as shorts, along or over long skin layer, for a little more breathability and to help them dry. Wool underwear work fine for me in winter. Haven't tried thin wool boxers. Runners shorts are good when it is really hot, and don't add much weight. Skin layers can be worn with or without underwear, same with fleece. Nylon hiking shorts usually require something though.

rpenczek
03-05-2009, 09:53
Have you tried the longer legged (9 inch) AA Boxer Jocks. While they don't have odor eliminators, they do stay in place a bit better. Also, Cabelas sells a few types of odor eliminating undergarments (think deer hunting) that are similar material to AA.

bigcranky
03-05-2009, 10:48
I have Icebreaker merino wool long john bottoms and boxer-briefs. Both are made of their lightest weight fabric ("150"). They are extremely comfortable -- no itch -- and keep me warm and dry in cool or cold weather. Wool is great for a base layer b/c it never starts to stink, and it lessens the "thermal shock" that happens with synthetics in cold weather.

fehchet
03-05-2009, 11:31
I second wool boxers. I have Ibex Rooster Boxers. Great with shorts for the cool mornings this winter on Siesta Key.

JAK
03-05-2009, 11:35
How much do those 150 icebreaker boxers weigh in a large or extra large? I might try them.

Frick Frack
03-05-2009, 11:35
I use ExOfficio boxers, on my hike and everyday, and there are excellent.

Chenango
03-05-2009, 13:08
I use ExOfficio boxers, on my hike and everyday, and there are excellent.

FF - I was looking at these on-line today. Do you know the difference between boxers and boker-briefs? These are a bit pricey at $25, but all the reviews say it is worht the money.

Footslogger
03-05-2009, 13:10
Agree with the others ...ditch the tidy whities. Carry some wet wipes and keep the area clean of salt residue from perspiration. Let the fresh air do the rest.

'Slogger

Hoop
03-05-2009, 13:49
Minus 33 brand wool, it's like the Icebreaker. Very comfortable, stink suppressor.

Pony
03-05-2009, 14:10
I sent my underwear home at Neels Gap. When the package arrived home, my girlfriend was excited because she thought I sent her a gift. Needless to say she was less than amused to find just a box of my dirty underwear.

Blissful
03-05-2009, 14:19
Commando 'til the weight is gone and chafing isnt an issue. Then my son used ex officio.

JAK
03-05-2009, 14:23
I wash my underwear and socks at least once on a 5 day trip.
Just boiling water, no soap. Rinse. Wring. Rinse. Wring. Hang or wear to dry.
I don't wash underwear and socks together. The other layers I let rain and sun run their course.

JAK
03-05-2009, 14:26
Gives me another excuse to make a fire with my Kelly Kettle. :)

Frick Frack
03-05-2009, 15:42
FF - I was looking at these on-line today. Do you know the difference between boxers and boker-briefs? These are a bit pricey at $25, but all the reviews say it is worht the money.

Boxer Briefs fit more snug (helps against chaffing) and the boxers are a little loose (I guess from the pictures?....I know mine are boxer briefs and they fit snug but comfortable). I do not have a problem with the boxers riding up but I wear a small in the ExOfficio's and normally would use a medium (I'm 5'8" and 155-160lbs). They are excellent. I agree they are pricy but I say they are worth it. Mine, that I had alread worn for years, lasted all the way down to GA with only some "pilling" caused by my pack. I tried "commando" a few times when it was hot but didn't like the lack of support....things got bouncin too much

jpelaston
03-05-2009, 16:57
the icebreakers are awesome! I have some and even though they are wool, they are so smooth that they feel like silk. I used them for 9 days in minnesota at BWCA and even though I was jumping in the lakes I didn't use anything else for the entire trip.

fredmugs
03-06-2009, 10:02
Get some running shorts that have the built in crotch. No need for underwear and they dry really quick.

JAK
03-06-2009, 10:06
I've never heard of crotchless running shorts, but nothing surprises me anymore. lol

Seriously though, those running shorts are great on really hot days.

JAK
03-06-2009, 10:15
I understand the trick with kilts was that the shirts they wore with them were extra long. That can sometimes work with hiking shorts also, if the shorts are loose enough, and the shirt long or light wool sweater is enough. Trouble is that most tops are too dang short these days. For that matter most bottoms don't do up high enough either.

That's another good point about skivvies is that its nice if your top and bottom layers overlap, and at different hieghts. In particular I like all my bottom layers to have a waistband higher than the belt of my hiking shorts. Not always easy to get. I think my butt has gotten bigger and that stretches things down.

In winter the long wool underwear combies are great because that is one less waistband to deal with.
Suspenders can be a good option also. I might make some light suspenders for my 200wt fleece pants.

garlic08
03-06-2009, 12:17
Another vote for the Ex Officio boxer brief. I still can't believe I paid over $20 for underwear, but I must admit, it solved a problem and it was worth it. I found some cheaper ones made by Wickers, at Campmor.com, and they work just as well.

HikerRanky
03-06-2009, 15:11
Here's another vote for the ExOfficio skivvies.... I bought 2 pair of them and a pair of the REI brand, and the ExOfficio are holding up better than the REI ones....

JAK
03-06-2009, 15:24
I hate brand names. I remove all logos and burn them in my Kelly KettleTM. ;)

fenderbenderfc
03-06-2009, 17:05
I order some icebreaker skivvies. I can't handle the boys bouncin' around like they are playing on a trampoline. Merino wool is not itchy at all, I prefer it to cotton.

maxpatch67
03-06-2009, 17:44
Icebreaker.

jeremy 931
03-11-2009, 00:18
freeball dude, its the way to go!!!!

datachomper
03-11-2009, 01:44
Wearing a pair of Exofficio right now. Gotta say, pretty comfy and breathy. Hope they hold up :O)

A New Convert
03-12-2009, 02:11
REIs boxer briefs are some of the most comfortable underwear I have ever owned.

In any case I wouldnt hike wearing anything other than boxer briefs as they do wonders to help prevent chaffing of thighs.

BC

bigcranky
03-14-2009, 12:26
Just got back from a week-long section hike of the AT through Georgia. We had warm temps early in the week, then cool and wet. I wore my Icebreaker boxer-briefs every day under my nylon hiking shorts, and they were very comfortable even with highs in the mid-70s. I wore the Icebreaker long johns every night in my bag, and under my shorts to hike the last day in cold wind and rain. I also had an Icebreaker short sleeve base layer, which I wore every warm day, and an Ibex wool l/s top which I slept in and wore on the last day. All performed very well -- and none of them stank, even after a week. (And somehow they kept my nylon shorts from stinking, too.)

Not cheap but worth it to me.

fehchet
03-14-2009, 14:47
Sounds like you had fun, bigcranky.

WalkingStick75
03-14-2009, 22:16
Commando is the only way to go

Alli
03-15-2009, 10:16
i've got the exofficio for undies as well, got em on sale for $7 a pair so it wasn't even too expensive (I have two pairs). I don't want to hijack your thread OP but I am curious what people recommend for long underwear... right now I have underarmour cold leggings and they already have a hole in them. Pure crap, the UA gloves I have got a hole as well.

Toolshed
03-15-2009, 20:46
Jumping in late here, but a BIG BIG Vote for ex-Officio Boxer Breifs. They are long enough on the leg to avoid chafing, the fit snugly. Superlight and dry overnight, so you cna wash them every day or so. They wear like Iron. In a couple of years when they start to smell, soak them for a weekend in a bucket of hot water with "Biz" Detergent (it has enzymes) and the odoer is gone.
About 6 -7 years ago I tried the REI Boxer breif and for about 2 years they had a great product, then they changed the material and the crotches wear out within a year. I still have my original 5 pair of REIs, but the ones from 4 years ago are shot to hell. I now have 5 pairs of EOs, accumulated over the last 5 years and they are well worth the money. In fact we spent 2 weeks in Europe and 2 weeks in the UK and like the commercial says, Wash, wring dry, roll in a towel and they are 99% dry and ready to go.

JAK
03-15-2009, 21:14
I saw some icebreaker 150 wool underwear in a store yesterday.
They had briefs, boxer-briefs, and boxers, all for about $35.
Too steep for me, but I might try a pair next winter.