PDA

View Full Version : Abol Bridge Resupply?

Chomp09
03-05-2009, 07:10
We are intending to climb the Saddle trail to Baxter Peak, then start south on the AT. Before we start we are intending to camp at Roaring Brook. After summiting, we hope to camp at Katahdin Stream (waiting on reservations).

Knowing that we don't want to carry all of our food for the Wilderness up and over Katahdin, but will not have a vehicle once we get to Katahdin Stream, where/how should we plan to pick up our resupply? Will Abol Bridge hold a package for us? Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

warraghiyagey
03-05-2009, 09:05
You could drop your stuff off at the Ranger station at Katahdin Stream Campground and pick it up as you head out of the park.

High Life
03-05-2009, 09:09
You could drop your stuff off at the Ranger station at Katahdin Stream Campground and pick it up as you head out of the park.

I'm with warraghiyagey drop your stuff at the ranger station
hell you can even barrow a day pack while you're at ..in fact they recommend
that you do , because if the difficulty of the climb and decent . pick your stuff up at katahdin stream and away you go ... :banana

Enjoy your hike !

High Life
03-05-2009, 09:10
ok decent ... seriously .. im going back to school

TJ aka Teej
03-05-2009, 09:31
We are intending to climb the Saddle trail to Baxter Peak, then start south on the AT. Before we start we are intending to camp at Roaring Brook. After summiting, we hope to camp at Katahdin Stream (waiting on reservations).
Radar, what's your start date? The east side trails don't open as early as Abol and Hunt.
Abol Bridge does not hold packages.

Chomp09
03-05-2009, 19:25
Don't worry, we are not intending to leave until the later half of July. I've been through the 100 miles during June and recognize that the streams are high and the trail is muddy. Still a beautiful place any time of the year!

Two days ago I spoke with a lady at Baxter's information desk, exploring my options, and she stated that none of the Ranger stations in the park would allow me to drop a food stuff to pick up a day later...

Hopefully this is inaccurate information? TJ, do you have first hand knowledge that you could share?

Kirby
03-05-2009, 19:35
Just bring enough food to go through the wilderness coming out of the park. If your smart, you won't carry the thing up Katahdin, and there's no major climb for a few days going SOBO, although little hills will kill you at the start.

TJ aka Teej
03-06-2009, 06:18
Two days ago I spoke with a lady at Baxter's information desk, exploring my options, and she stated that none of the Ranger stations in the park would allow me to drop a food stuff to pick up a day later...

Hopefully this is inaccurate information? TJ, do you have first hand knowledge that you could share?
The ladies at HQ who answer the phone are Baxter Park Rangers, all with long service. They are excellent resources for anyone planning a trip to Baxter. She's correct about no packages being held by Rangers. However, ATers can drop their pack on the Ranger's porch at Katahdin Stream the morning of their climb and borrow one of the day packs generously provided by the KSC Ranger. A recent tradition has seen finishing thrus leave a note behind for the next thru in the pack they've taken up. (A certain red LL Bean book bag made over 45 trips to Baxter Peak last season.)

jnetx
03-06-2009, 09:52
Are there any other options?

Possible options would be to get a shelter at Katahdin stream cg for 2 nights and leave your excess gear @ food (hung from rafters) there while you hike up and down, or speak to Paul at AT Lodge in Millinocket and ask if he would bring your excess stuff into Katahdin Stream and leave at Ranger Station on your second day for a small fee. I believe he goes into the park almost every day at that time of year.

Abol Bridge store has fairly decent resupply (crackers, pop tarts, liptons, candy bars, etc.) if you prefer to go light to there, as does White House Landing a day or so further in, or Boarstone here on WhiteBlaze will drop a resupply at Jo Mary Rd.