PDA

View Full Version : Beauty Spot Gap - Erwin March 19th

fredmugs
03-05-2009, 12:39
As part of a longer hike I will be in Erwin and needing to hike SOBO from Beauty Spot Gap back to Uncle Johnny's on March 19th (I can hike NOBO if necessary). I will have my car with me. Ideally there would be someone else hiking in the area who would be willing to go with me in my car, drop me at Beauty Spot, and drive my car back to Johnny's.

DO NOT reply with people I can pay for a shuttle. I already have that info and since I will have my car why pay someone else.

If you are hiking in that area maybe we can help each other out with shuttling.

dmax
03-06-2009, 00:26
I don't think the gate will be open on the forest service road. If that is the case, you would have to start at Indian Grave Gap. You could walk up to Beauty Spot and then back track down to UJ.

Tennessee Viking
03-06-2009, 01:49
It sounds close. I haven't been able to find the media release for gate closures for this year yet. But contact the Unicoi District Ranger office at
423-735-1500 to get the opening date for USFS 230.

If if is closed, you can hike up to Beauty Spot from Indian Grave Gap and back track back down to Erwin.

Another option is to get dropped off at the USFS 230 gate on Red Fork Road. Walk up to next forest road (230A or 23011??) on the left. Walk up the road about half its length (the very end will be close to Cherry Gap Shelter) to a strong running spring going through a culvert which is a maintenance access, then climb up to Low Gap. It will put you about 5 miles north of Beauty Spot. And the climb up Unaka now us relocated on better hillside trail.

fredmugs
03-06-2009, 09:35
Thanks for the intel guys. I will actually be hiking with two other people after that and this will impact their agenda as well.

fredmugs
03-06-2009, 09:51
I just called the Ranger station and they said that the road should be open "later this month" and she would not go any further than that. Apparently once all the snow and ice is gone they will open the road. I took from my conversation with her that nobody has been on the road since they closed it. I don't live in that area but I have to imagine that if there is still snow and ice it has to melt off this weekend. Right? Is there actually snow anywhere on the trail btw Davenport Gap and Watuga Lake?

Tennessee Viking
03-06-2009, 16:03
Usually one or two rangers are in charge of gate closures. So the front desk person might not know the exact dates. You are right, it usually depends on the weather.

There is still a little bit of snow and slush in the higher elevations. Should be melted by this weekend as long as there are no more freezing temps. I just got back from Dennis Cove, and still quite a bit of slush on the trail.

If its been a while since you hiked Unaka, there have been a quite a few relocations put in the last year. All of which are better hillside trail.