PDA

View Full Version : mail-maps

Pickleodeon
03-05-2009, 14:02
If you don't do maildrops, how the heck do you get your maps? A bounce box? Is it easier to just send things in a bounce box along the way or does it cost more money to send one in the long run? I have nine mail drops planned right now, only like 3 have food in them. The rest are maps and maybe some other things from home I'd like to refill. I'd like to avoid sticking to a schedule of drops, but 9 isnt bad.

Manwich
03-05-2009, 14:06
Outfitters along the way, Ranger Stations, Other Hikers going in opposite direction, Some people drop them off at shelters, certain sign-in boxes.

High Life
03-05-2009, 14:09
Outfitters along the way, Ranger Stations, Other Hikers going in opposite direction, Some people drop them off at shelters, certain sign-in boxes.

you don't really start to see the maps left by hiking going the other way
until the some sobo's pass ..

Manwich
03-05-2009, 14:17
you don't really start to see the maps left by hiking going the other way
until the some sobo's pass ..

plenty of dayhikers, sectioners and weekenders who carry maps

Blissful
03-05-2009, 14:24
If you are just sending yourself maps, they won't cost but the first class postage. I wouldn't do a bounce box just for maps. Too much of a hassle. For those that don't do drops, they might buy along the way, but I would not rely on that since there are other hikers out looking to buy too. Or they skip the maps altogether.

Pickleodeon
03-05-2009, 14:27
Do most people mail them every now and then along the way?

emerald
03-05-2009, 14:33
plenty of dayhikers, sectioners and weekenders who carry maps

Now there's a trolling post!

emerald
03-05-2009, 14:36
Do most people mail them every now and then along the way?

Mail a guide of maps at a time. You said you have 9 drops. Maybe you need to split them up a bit differently. You've already solved your non-problem.

Blissful
03-05-2009, 14:38
People I saw getting maps got them in drops. I mean, you can take a chance an outfitter will have them in stock, but it is the thru hiker season. It's up to you. But a few maildrops is no big deal either. It's just that here on WB people make a big deal out of them and many that rank on them never used them. I mean some things can happen. We did get a box with maps lost in Maine, but we did not send it priority. I've heard of a few hikers last year I think not get their cold weather stuff or something. But if you send priority with delivery comfirmation, it gives some insurance (I wouldn't send just maps that way, though. First class is fine).

Slo-go'en
03-05-2009, 14:45
If you have a phone and someone who can mail the maps, call a week before you need them to be sent to the next town stop. That way you don't need to plan too far in advance. No big deal if you have to skip getting a map for a few sections occasionally if that is incovenient to do at some places.

Of course, you might find you don't really need the maps and the hassle of replacing them all the time (and carrying half a dozen of them at a time). But then, if you already bought them all, you might as well use them or it was a waste of money.

Many Walks
03-05-2009, 14:54
IMO, The Handbook or Data Book gives you enough info to navigate the trail. Maps are sort of a luxury, but are nice to have. Perhaps someone can send the maps to fill in sections not covered by your 9 planned drops. They could go to hostels or outfitters that hold mail so you don't have to work around more PO hours. We had ours included in mail drops, but I'd never do that again. I agree, the fewer mail drops the better. Enjoy your hike!

Manwich
03-05-2009, 14:56
It'd be cool at section terminuseses if they had caches where you can pick up the relevant map and drop it off at the terminus once you're done... but then again, that's just more garbage in the woods

Pickleodeon
03-05-2009, 15:05
I'm getting the impression a lot of people don't worry about/carry maps on the trail. I bought them because I if I do need them, I'll be be glad I have them- like the unlikely chance that I (or someone close by) needs to get off the trail- injury, etc..plus it seems like a good idea to have them.

I'm so confused.

emerald
03-05-2009, 15:10
I'm so confused.

No you're not. WhiteBlaze is confusing you.:confused:

Send your maps to yourself in drops you've already planned. Send your used maps home in the same box. Later this year, sell them here to someone else. Recoup most of what you spent. Easy. Stop stressing over little things!

Pickleodeon
03-05-2009, 15:19
ok. -sigh- thanks.

I'm gonna charge the other hikers if they ask to see my maps because they didnt think they needed to carry em- or want the weight. 5 cents a peek.

just kidding.

Blissful
03-05-2009, 15:42
No you're not. WhiteBlaze is confusing you.:confused:

Send your maps to yourself in drops you've already planned. Send your used maps home in the same box. Later this year, sell them here to someone else. Recoup most of what you spent. Easy. Stop stressing over little things!

Completely agree.

Let it go! :D
It's still your hike. Do it the way you want.