PDA

View Full Version : Kirkridge Shelter - PA

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 11:35
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Kirkridge Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

ez-does-it
10-21-2002, 17:36
This shelter sits right on the trail and is a walk in shelter and is in need of repair.There is a fire pit right in front of the shelter and to the left of the shelter that is as you are looking into this shelter is a faucet to get your drinking water,please rememmber to shut the faucet off.A litte further on down the trail is a very good spot for tenting out.:o

stranger
12-12-2002, 00:04
A great site to the left heading northbound as you PASS it, potable water.

Toolshed
06-24-2003, 08:01
My wife, small son and I hiked into this shelter several times last year near the end of june, start of July with a cooler of sodas and frozen snickers bars, hoping to be trail angels. The first evening there was one section hiker and the second evening we found nobody. I now beleive most hikers continue right thru to DWG.
Cheers

whcobbs
09-10-2003, 11:58
The significance of the shelter is the water source at Kirkridge retreat, the first reliable water northbound from the town of Wind Gap or the Outerbridge Shelter Spring just south of Lehigh Gap.-- Walt

goshawk
12-04-2003, 10:25
I heard sharpshins dad was a caretaker at kirkridge and sharpshin as well. Is he still? Has anyone heard of him in the area? If so get him to register with this site please!

Skyline
12-07-2003, 12:06
When I hiked that section in '99, the thing that impressed me the most wasn't the shelter or the water supply. It was the condition of the trail just before and just after. Unlike all those other miles of unavoidable sharp, pointy rocks that twist ankles and assassinate boots in the region, that little section of the trail was a pleasant exception.

I remembered thinking at the time, "Whoever rehabbed this should lead a trail maintenance seminar in Pennsylvania." I know it must have been a LOT of hard work, but the benefit to hikers was so obvious.

Hopefully in the intervening 4+ years, it's still a pleasure to walk on.

Toolshed
12-08-2003, 12:40
When I hiked that section in '99, the thing that impressed me the most wasn't the shelter or the water supply. It was the condition of the trail just before and just after. Unlike all those other miles of unavoidable sharp, pointy rocks that twist ankles and assassinate boots in the region, that little section of the trail was a pleasant exception.

I remembered thinking at the time, "Whoever rehabbed this should lead a trail maintenance seminar in Pennsylvania." I know it must have been a LOT of hard work, but the benefit to hikers was so obvious.

Hopefully in the intervening 4+ years, it's still a pleasure to walk on.

It is. I like to take my 3 YO there because of the ease of walking and the nearby vista.

Tom Ostrow
04-01-2004, 20:52
Just a note if you are planning on resupplying your water at the shelter: Water at the tap gets shut off in the cold months (I found this out the hard way last week) and there isn't much else in the way of water till you get to either the Leroy Smith shelter southbound or the Delaware river Northbound.

ARambler
04-05-2006, 22:46
I was at Kirkridge Shelter yesterday. What a nice new shelter. Wood chips from construction were still in the fire place. Seems to be built on old foundation, but there is now a huge overhang with a picnic table under it.
Rambler

veteran
04-06-2006, 22:01
Anybody have a photo of the new shelter?

strnorm
05-17-2006, 20:56
I was there today,they sure have built a nice shelter.have pictures will download when i get back to Tn. they also have a nice outhouse also.

Freighttrain
05-18-2006, 09:23
just north of the shelter on the right is a beautiful field with a lookout to the south.. almost like a bald.. great for tenting. in 00 me n Goslo spotted a HUGE black bear hanging around the lookout... like a 300-500 pounder!! good thing we used our foodbags as pillows instead of hanging them so the scent wouldnt travel more.

if its after the season and the water is off , dont expect to find water at the religious retreat thats right there...

adh24
05-18-2006, 10:41
That's a big bear. I just did Wind gap to Delaware water gap in the beginning of April. We camped just to the north of the "bald" you mentioned. Woke up to a bear poking around our tent and camp site. First time with a bear encounter and was pretty freaked out. Didn't get much sleep the rest of the night. Well after I got home Sunday night my wife was unpacking and found two granola bars that she forgot about in her pack. After I asked her like 5 times, "you sure you have all the food out of you pack".

number11
10-04-2006, 20:48
According to my AT guide book water is available via an outside tap at the Kirkridge retreat. However, it is noted that the water is Seasonal. I will be hiking from Lehigh Gap to DWG during the weekend of November 4th and 5th. Does anyone know if water from the tap will still be available at that time.

saimyoji
10-04-2006, 21:00
According to my AT guide book water is available via an outside tap at the Kirkridge retreat. However, it is noted that the water is Seasonal. I will be hiking from Lehigh Gap to DWG during the weekend of November 4th and 5th. Does anyone know if water from the tap will still be available at that time.

Unreliable after October.

number11
10-04-2006, 22:36
Thanks for your answer. Do you know if the shelter is relatively close to any roads?

saimyoji
10-04-2006, 22:49
Thanks for your answer. Do you know if the shelter is relatively close to any roads?

Edit: the water source isn't just unreliable, it actually gets shut off by the retreat folks, depends on how early it gets cold. Mot likely it will be off by November. As someone already said, don't count on getting water from the retreat just up from the faucet.

Road:
Yes, about 0.6? mi from PA 191. Its not a busy road, but does get a decent amount of traffic; you should have no trouble getting a hitch ahead to Stroudsburg, or back to Bangor, though I've never tried. That said, if its icy, don't count on anything! Just hike on to Water Gap. Its only about 7 miles.

You should be able to carry enough water from Wind Gap to Water Gap without needing to get more when you stay at the shelter.

adh24
12-12-2006, 10:42
Anyone have a photo of the new shelter built here. Was through early last spring while they were building it. Was curious as to what the final prodcut was.

rafe
12-12-2006, 10:49
It's a beautiful shelter, and a great site. Nice views. My evening at Kirkridge was probably best of my last section hike. The only confusion was finding the spigot. Rather unusual water source, I'd say. Oh, and it has a fire ring that's not too ugly. It was the only campfire I enjoyed in that 11 day hike. (And sad to say, my fire-starting skills were in a woeful state.) Sorry, this photo isn't of the shelter itself... but of some cute grafitti on one of the front porch supports:

<http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=34>

Strategic
05-10-2008, 16:00
I was up at Kirkridge a couple of months ago on a winter day hike. It's still a very nice shelter with a very nice interior setup, entirely rebuilt and replacing the old structure. The covered porch in front of the sleeping platform in so large that it has the picnic table under it with plenty of room to spare.

There's also a very nice privy and the water spigot up at the "Spiritual Life Center" is the only reliable water between Wind Gap and DWG. The view is also nice, though it was getting a bit obscured by trees when I was there. It's a southeastern view, so the rising sun shines straight into the shelter, but of course that means you can watch it without rolling out of your bag.:D

Here are some pictures I took that day of the shelter.

Pootz
05-12-2008, 10:14
I was very pleasantly surprised when I went though there last summer during my thru hike, great shelter. I hike that section in in 2005, and there is no comparison to its current condition. The maintenance crew in this area did a great job redesigning the shelter.

shelterbuilder
05-12-2008, 20:03
I was up at Kirkridge a couple of months ago on a winter day hike. It's still a very nice shelter with a very nice interior setup, entirely rebuilt and replacing the old structure. The covered porch in front of the sleeping platform in so large that it has the picnic table under it with plenty of room to spare.

There's also a very nice privy and the water spigot up at the "Spiritual Life Center" is the only reliable water between Wind Gap and DWG. The view is also nice, though it was getting a bit obscured by trees when I was there. It's a southeastern view, so the rising sun shines straight into the shelter, but of course that means you can watch it without rolling out of your bag.:D

Here are some pictures I took that day of the shelter.

Nice pics! It's been over 20 years since I was there - about all I really remember is the spigot and the sunrise! (I gotta get off of this computer and get out more....)

rafe
05-12-2008, 21:15
It was nice, real nice, back in mid-Sept. '06. Nobody there but me. A bit weird to get your water out of a spigot. The road's weird too, but since it's a private road to a mountaintop Xian retreat, it wasn't as much of a worry, somehow. Good cell reception. ;)

1azarus
03-05-2009, 17:43
...I hate to bother the Kirkridge retreat center to find out when they've turned the water on for the warmer weather... is there any chance someone might post that it's turned on when they've gone by and know it is? one of PA's fine maintainers? i know it'll be about a month, but wanted to wait for a section hike until i could count on water there. THANKS!!!

Frick Frack
03-05-2009, 18:49
We had a great night there (almost stayed in a beautiful field north of the shelter though). The water spigot was very nice to have and the shelter was spic & span. We were entertained all night by two rabbits who hung out under the table.

Doc
03-05-2009, 19:34
When I stayed there in September of 08 I was alone-almost. A large black snack came to visit and decided to explore the shelter. Seems like his kin folks were at many of the PA shelters last year but they all seemed friendly. They just stopped in to say HI and really didn't cause much of a problem. Being alone, I set up my tent that night and slept without any worries about visitors. I do remember the water at the spigot having a metallic taste, but it was water.

Blissful
03-06-2009, 00:26
Yes there is a big snake there that hangs in the tree (he did when we were there). And a big bear not too far from there also. Nature city.

DC2.2GSR
05-11-2009, 20:43
i visited Kirkridge just this past weekend. i was very impressed with its condition. everything was clean and there were a bunch of great examples of trail magic. off the top of my head i can remember an unopened jar of peanut butter in the mailbox, a small radio that got incredible reception on nearly every station, a brand new looking tent in its box (nothing special, just a walmart thing for emergencies i would assume), a BIC lighter with plenty of fluid, some dry newspaper, and tons of other stuff. there is quite a bit of graffiti on the walls and ceiling, but it all seems somewhat positive in nature. lots of people writing favorite quotes, remembering friends who've passed, etc. The only negative was the privy... :eek: terrible! and no TP.. glad i remembered to bring some. lol.

my one regret is that i didn't check out the water spigot, so i'm of no help there.

den9
06-13-2009, 15:12
hey whats up dc?

i just got back from a dwg to kirkridge and back trip, camped in the breezy field a few hundred feet north. i used the water from the spigot for food and when it was boiling some oil was floating on top, didnt trust it so i used it to wash up instead of drinking.

DC2.2GSR
06-29-2009, 00:00
hey man, not too much. same old stuff, except for the link below haha

Local Kirkridge bears (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=860948#post860948)... click the link for the story and a pic. Hang your food away from you!!!

Strategic
07-12-2009, 19:32
I'm just back from a section hike and stayed last night at Kirkridge shelter. It's still in fine shape, the water tap is functioning fine, and the privy fairly clean.

It was a full house last night in the shelter, with 2-Pound, Bugman, Turtle, Bru-meister, Heidi and John, and father/daughter section hikers from Florida. I was hanging just in back of the shelter at a nice hammock spot, with Fearless Phil trying out his new ENO hammock at a site just upslope.

It rained pretty steadily from about 10 last night, with some great (distant) lightening for evening entertainment. It dawned fairly foggy, but was already burning off quickly by 6:30, uncovering a beautiful clear blue sky.

PUNKINPUSS11
07-12-2009, 19:50
just watch out 4 the big black rat snake in the top right corner

ShelterLeopard
07-12-2009, 21:18
I love Kirkridge- good water source, big sturdy sleeping platform, very dry, the only problem is the huge amount of poison ivy!

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-13-2009, 06:57
just watch out 4 the big black rat snake in the top right corner

Kiss it. It's eating the shelter mice!

PUNKINPUSS11
07-13-2009, 09:16
u r a man wisdom, never thought of that...but still spooky

Strategic
07-13-2009, 10:07
He was nowhere to be seen with all the activity on Saturday night. I'm sure he was hunkered down somewhere to wait out the rain and cool weather. Still, he's been doing his job well, as there also wasn't a shelter mouse to be seen (no signs of the little vermin either.) There were a couple of very bold chipmunks, but they're cute and entertaining.

ShelterLeopard
07-13-2009, 12:05
I woke up to find one of those chipmunks in my boots- note to everyone, shack our boots out first!!! (It was a little startling- it was something lihe this, I wake up and need to visit the privy, grab my boots, clumsily try to put my left foot in and hear something like skwk, and see a flying ball of fur)

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-13-2009, 14:13
I woke up to find one of those chipmunks in my boots- note to everyone, shack our boots out first!!! (It was a little startling- it was something lihe this, I wake up and need to visit the privy, grab my boots, clumsily try to put my left foot in and hear something like skwk, and see a flying ball of fur)

I don't mean to laugh but I got a chuckle out of that. I can just picture it.. :)

High Life
07-13-2009, 14:25
i was there right after tim russert died and i wrote a little note to him , miss you "timmy " :(

ShelterLeopard
07-13-2009, 17:59
I don't mean to laugh but I got a chuckle out of that. I can just picture it.. :)

No, it was absolutely hilarious (after the initial groggy reaction to something foreign in my boot), seeing this ball of fur fly across the shelter... Good times at Kirkridge.

perrito
07-16-2010, 23:03
I'll be Kirkridge Shelter soon - on the first free non-broiling weekend.

JJMcK
08-11-2010, 13:50
Nice to see a rat snake there. The shelter and surrounding area used to be infested with rats.

perrito
08-23-2010, 15:43
Anyone been here recently? I hope to be staying there on Friday night, 8/27.

perrito
08-24-2010, 12:04
Has anyone been there of late? Is the tap outside of the Kirkridge Retreat operating? I'll be there on Friday and am counting on it! :o
Thanx

SoundWitness
10-27-2010, 12:12
Stopped here on Sunday (10/24) for a snack and breather while sectioning from Little Gap to DWG. Shelter was clean, with bottled water left by Angels, along with some candles and bic lighters. Privy needed some venting, though. Strong odor. Looked like the vent turbine was not working in the wind.

Water spigot was still on, cold and refreshing. Metallic taste, but way better than the taste of the H2O at the Gateway Motel in Wind Gap.

emerald
10-27-2010, 12:17
Maybe so, but either is wetter than none come summer and we might see if we can refrain from exhibiting what could come across as ingratitude.

Both of these reliable water sources mentioned are located on private property and made available through the generosity of their respective owners. There are no other viable alternatives at this time.

wystiria
11-19-2010, 11:31
anyone know if the spigot is still on? I am assuming it wont be - we will be through this area next week. and it would be significantly nicer if there was water there.

perrito
11-19-2010, 12:42
anyone know if the spigot is still on? I am assuming it wont be - we will be through this area next week. and it would be significantly nicer if there was water there.
If it's not on, consider hiding yourself a gallon of water at Fox Gap. :-?

wystiria
11-19-2010, 13:50
If it's not on, consider hiding yourself a gallon of water at Fox Gap. :-?

I would but we will be out for a while and we wont be able to cache any water. I figure worst case we will camel up in Wind gap at the motel and carry in what we need to get from there to DWG becasue it looks like there aren't any water sources between the two points.

ERNMAN
11-22-2010, 20:08
If you know when you will be at Fox Gap, I can meet you there with water/supplies. I sent you a pm with my phone #. If time permits I will be glad to help.

wystiria
04-12-2011, 14:17
Back again - never did get to the gap the last time through. Anyway checking to see if anyone has been to kirkridge and whether or not the water is on :)

ljcsov
08-02-2011, 21:51
If I wanted to do a day hike from here to the Water Gap, does anyone know of parking nearby?

Thanks!

Toolshed
08-03-2011, 00:29
If I wanted to do a day hike from here to the Water Gap, does anyone know of parking nearby?

Thanks!

Nice Parking right at Fox Gap, where the trail crosses route 191 just N of Roseta & E of Penn Argyl. Enough room for about 8 vehicles. It is approx 1/2 mile S of Kirkridge Shelter.

jersey joe
09-02-2011, 08:59
Has anyone been to Kirkridge Shelter recently? Is the water on?

perrito
09-02-2011, 10:38
PM Calmwater. He's the ridgerunner in that area.

jersey joe
09-02-2011, 15:10
Thanks perrito!

perrito
09-02-2011, 18:14
He also has a Facebook page - "NEPA Ridgerunner"

jersey joe
09-05-2011, 09:27
The water was in fact running at Kirkridge Shelter...had a great overnight hike from Wind Gap to the Delaware Water Gap. I actually ran into the Ridge Runner Calmwater right near Kirkridge, nice guy.

Rusty Nail
01-07-2012, 23:18
Stopped at Kirkridge for lunch today on my way from DWG to Wind Gap. The ATC was there when I arrived they were making notes for improvements to the trail. Stopped 3 miles south at the spring and it looked very slow moving. Filtered for "just in case H20" and moved on.

ljcsov
03-08-2012, 18:37
Just stopped by Kirkridge today on my way to The Gap!

The shelter appeared to be in great shape with little refuge about. However, the water seems to be turned off at the spigot near the church retreat and the pages of the log book have been depleted. Looks like its time for a new one before the thru-hikers come in.

On a more troubling note, there seemed to be an indication that there is a homeless person about in the area. Soon after following the trail from the shelter toward Nelson's vista I noticed a fresh wrapper of suboxon on the trail. For those not familiar with the drug, it serves as a medication given to those suffering from heroine withdraw. Those who aren't regular users, will get a tremendous high from it. So, at this point I was keeping an eye out for any other sort of sketchiness. Upon reaching Nelson's view, I noticed a brownish/red/tan tent near the tree line. If you are coming from Kirkridge you simply look a bit to left and its tucked next to the treeline where you reenter the woods. I found it a bit disturbing since it didn't seem to be a backpacking style tent and I had just found that wrapper before. I would keep an eye out if anyone goes through the area to make sure this person isn't about or making it home.

Probably no harm, but just a good idea to be aware.

coffee kid
03-08-2012, 19:07
In August, 2008 I spent a night at the Kirkridge shelter with my friend Creeper and we ordered pizza. So yes, the road access to the shelter made it easy for the pizza delivery guy. Ate very well. At that time, there was a menu or something there that gave the phone #. Also got a cold shower. Sounds like we slept in the "old" shelter. Open pavillion roomy, tables, maybe cooler because it was open on all sides, but it was under roof. I enjoyed my night at Kirkridge.

atbackpacker
04-23-2012, 09:03
coffee kid,
i think we may have met at kirkridge in 2008. was hiking in the area with my 13yo son. i remember someone carrying in banana cream pie from DWG, possibly hiking with two others. one was a lady?

CAP N'
03-07-2013, 12:01
I grew up very close to the kirkridge shelter so I camp there pretty often when through hiking. I am an avid winter-camper so most of the nights I have spent at kirkridge I have not been worried about food attracting bears or any other critters for that matter. However, I am planning a trip with two of my buddies for this weekend (3/8/13-3/10/13) and am debating whether or not I will need to bear bag the food. I know kirkridge is definitely a hot-spot for bears.

twilight
03-07-2013, 22:31
When in doubt hang you food. Better safe than sorry.

Twilight

CAP N'
03-07-2013, 22:52
Yeah I think that's going to be the case Twilight - I just miss January camping when I could eat in my tent haha. No more of that until at least december.

somers515
05-05-2014, 07:58
Visited the Kirkridge shelter on May 1st and the water spigot was OFF. There is no other water source nearby so be prepared. Also there is a nice spot for tenting about .1 mile north of the shelter. Happy hiking!

mikec
05-05-2014, 08:23
When I sectioned that area in 2006 the spigot was not turned on yet. I was coming SOBO from DWG and was out of water when I reached Kirkridge. I was panicking. A local lady happened to be day hiking and was at the shelter at the time. She told me to proceed southbound to Fox Gap PA191, turn left, go about 1 mile down hill, make the first left turn, go another quarter mile and a stream would be crossing the road. I did it. It took about an hour but I had water and was able to proceed southbound on my section hike.

DrL
08-29-2014, 12:38
I stopped by the Kirkridge shelter on 8/23 and everything looked good. Four people and one dog were enjoying the shelter. Water was on.

BlueEyes
03-19-2015, 11:45
Will be doing a section through here and spending our first night at Kirkridge. Mid April...anyone know if the water will be on? Does the retreat actually control the water somehow?

peakbagger
03-19-2015, 15:38
Yes the water supply is a spigot at the retreat. The retreat is seasonal and they turn off and I expect drain the water system until its past the chance of freezing so you take your chances in the spring.

When I hiked through on a long section in the spring it was closed and unlike a prior poster we didn't find a local to help us out but we used our map and found the same water source

When I sectioned that area in 2006 the spigot was not turned on yet. I was coming SOBO from DWG and was out of water when I reached Kirkridge. I was panicking. A local lady happened to be day hiking and was at the shelter at the time. She told me to proceed southbound to Fox Gap PA191, turn left, go about 1 mile down hill, make the first left turn, go another quarter mile and a stream would be crossing the road. I did it. It took about an hour but I had water and was able to proceed southbound on my section hike.

rdljr
10-22-2015, 18:36
32423 A photo from Monday, shelter was very clean and large compared to the ones in NH. Did have a note warning about wasp/bees around the pump. I did not need water so I did not try to find out if the warning was correct.

ShelterLeopard
05-27-2016, 02:10
Anyone happen to know if the spigot is on?

hilltackler
06-01-2016, 12:40
Was just there this weekend...spigot is ON! And the water is nice! Enjoy

bobp
06-01-2016, 20:36
Fair warning -- the tenting spot that Somers515 mentioned has a beautiful view. If you camp there, you will find some unusual wind streamers indicating that the hill is a favored hang-glider launching spot. In addition to the quiet retreat, there must beto be a target range nearby, because you can hear rifle and shotgun fire. The highway a mile or so away is a popular night racing spot for motorcycles (especially Harleys). Anchor your tent and bring earplugs, because the view in the morning is worth all of it.

jimmyjam
06-02-2016, 12:39
Fair warning -- the tenting spot that Somers515 mentioned has a beautiful view. If you camp there, you will find some unusual wind streamers indicating that the hill is a favored hang-glider launching spot. In addition to the quiet retreat, there must beto be a target range nearby, because you can hear rifle and shotgun fire. The highway a mile or so away is a popular night racing spot for motorcycles (especially Harleys). Anchor your tent and bring earplugs, because the view in the morning is worth all of it.

Yep. Great camping spot. Stayed there last year. Avoid the shelter, get your water there and go north.

ShelterLeopard
03-11-2017, 23:03
Any chance the water is on at Kirkridge Shelter? My friend and I are doing a shakedown there next week. If there's a chance it isn't on, we might switch sections

Sandy of PA
03-12-2017, 09:25
It is still winter here in PA, odds are the water is off to avoid freezing pipes.

ShelterLeopard
03-12-2017, 09:29
That's what I thought, sure wish there was a stream up there! :)

DrL
03-12-2017, 10:51
They're calling for 5 to 8 inches of fresh snow on Tuesday. You could melt snow...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ShelterLeopard
03-14-2017, 00:20
That's plan B :)

Kick Start
04-13-2017, 15:59
On Guthooks Guide someone posted on April 12, 2017 that the tap had been removed and no water available.

brewerywagon
05-29-2017, 16:54
I was considering staying at Kirkridge last weekend, and reading the previous comment, decided to call the retreat to ask about the water situation. The woman I spoke to on the phone said the tap is still available to hikers and that the water is on. I ended up staying at Leroy Smith instead, so I can't confirm that that's really the case, but that's what I was told over the phone.

1azarus
05-19-2018, 11:57
Tap there and on now? Thanks.

1azarus
05-21-2018, 08:27
good day all (you fellow compulsive planners). on this day, May 21st 2018, the Retreat confirmed the faucet is on!!!

GankenBerry
12-06-2018, 17:30
the tap is still there. i check this shelter regularly for trash and such.

ChrisMek
12-07-2018, 14:30
the tap is still there. i check this shelter regularly for trash and such.

Thank You! I do the same at the Waywayanda shelter in NJ

danil411
09-24-2020, 09:22
Any word on whether the tap is still operational?

JFisher
04-07-2022, 15:25
Anyone with direct, current knowledge of situation and alternatives regarding well-related problems (per ATC) that have shut off water at Kirkridge?
Thanks!