PDA

View Full Version : Finding former thru hikers

Brushy Sage
05-20-2004, 16:06
I've been wondering how, or if, I can locate some people who became my friends on the AT, and I don't know how to contact them now -- because I don't know their names, nor they mine. Specifically, I'd love to send a note to a 2002 husband and wife team. He was Jake Brake; she was Low Gear. I believe they might have come from Florida. We became separated somewhere around Partnership Shelter, going north.

Peaks
05-20-2004, 16:15
Unless I wrote down their names and addresses when I met them, the best way to connect with former long distance hikers is by joining ALDHA. They publish a membership directory that includes a sort by trail name.

jersey joe
05-20-2004, 16:20
When I went through Harpers Ferry I had my info collected and my picture taken at the ATC headquarters. If the hikers you speak of went through Harpers Ferry i'm sure they will have a record of them. Another possibility is to look on trailjournals.

TankHiker
05-20-2004, 17:33
Check www.hikerdirectory.com (http://www.hikerdirectory.com).

The name Jake Break is very familiar. I am sure I have seen it on some AT message board somewhere.

-Tank

Hikerhead
05-20-2004, 18:55
There was a Jakebrake hiking this year but I don't think it's the same one. He's from SC and I think he's off the trail now. He tried a thru last year but got off in SNP. I met him in Ga the first week of April this year. He has a journal on Trail Journal. I have a pic of him under Thru Hikers.

eyahiker
05-20-2004, 19:05
I'm looking for a guy who hiked in 83 or 84, bright red hair from PA his name is Neil Ha------ I have no trail name, anybody have any clues please PM me :)

attroll
05-20-2004, 21:04
I know this is not of much help. But WhiteBlaze just recently started a Thru-hiker registry list. So if you have completed a thru-hiker then sign up on to the list. Please fill in all the data. Some of data will not be diplayed to users. But the administration will be able to view it. This way if someone see's a person on the list they want to get in contact with then a WhiteBlaze admin can forward the information on to the person. We are trying to retain some privacy here.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/threg/index.php

eyahiker
05-20-2004, 22:47
Thanks Attroll!:banana

Jack Tarlin
05-21-2004, 09:42
Troll:

The register is a great idea; I hope lots of folks find out about it, and Whiteblaze users should spread the word about it on other sites, mailing lists, etc. The problem is that there is NO central or primary list of thru-hikers that folks can go to; the ATC obviously has the most complete records, but they don't give this information out. One can, of course, visit their offices in Harper's Ferry and go thru the photo albums, but in many cases, the hiker photos on public display don't have up-to-date contact information, as hikers tend to move a lot and their addresses change frequently.

Groups such as ALDHA maintain directories also, but this only includes members of the organization. Websites such as Trailplace and Trailjournals maintain hiker directories, but they are not large ones.

In short, it'd be great if there were ONE place where hikers could go to contact old friends and where they could discover how to get in touch with them, and it'd be great if Whiteblaze became THE place where people went for this information.

A few caveats: 1. This master list should NEVER be used for any commercial purposes, mailings, etc. 2. If it is ever used for non-commercial purposes, such as mass mailings by Whiteblaze, or by educators, journalists, etc., people on the list should have the right to be asked first whether or not they wish to take participate 3. Information such as addresses, etc., should NEVER be given out 4. I'd suggest making the publication of one's E-Mail address optional; this would make it much easier for folks to contact friends, and it'd save having to write Whiteblaze administration first. This "address optional" function is used elsewhere, such as in college alumni websites, etc. If folks don't want their E-Mail address posted, they can withold it.

Anyway, GREAT idea, I hope the word gets out. It'll not only become a very useful information depository for lots of folks, but it may introduce a lot of new folks to Whiteblaze as well.

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 10:09
Good suggestions...........:)

attroll
05-21-2004, 12:12
Troll:
A few caveats: 1. This master list should NEVER be used for any commercial purposes, mailings, etc. 2. If it is ever used for non-commercial purposes, such as mass mailings by Whiteblaze, or by educators, journalists, etc., people on the list should have the right to be asked first whether or not they wish to take participate 3. Information such as addresses, etc., should NEVER be given out 4. I'd suggest making the publication of one's E-Mail address optional; this would make it much easier for folks to contact friends, and it'd save having to write Whiteblaze administration first. This "address optional" function is used elsewhere, such as in college alumni websites, etc. If folks don't want their E-Mail address posted, they can withold it.

Anyway, GREAT idea, I hope the word gets out. It'll not only become a very useful information depository for lots of folks, but it may introduce a lot of new folks to Whiteblaze as well.
I agree with you 100% Jack. This is why when someone fills out the form we have created it ask for a lot of data. But after the form is filled out and posted only the basic data is displayed. This is of course for privacy reasons. The other reason things like the email is not displayed is for two reasons. One is privacy and the second is so search engines will not find the email address. A lot os people don't realize this but it you post your email address in a post looking link this: [email protected] it will get picked up by a search engine and then this is how people start receiving junk mail. But if you post it like this my email ([email protected]) then most search engines will not pick it up.

If someone really wants to get ahold of someone on the WhiteBlaze Thru-hiker registry then at this time they will have to leave email to me at attroll ([email protected]) and then I will forward that information on to the person that you are trying to get in touch with. I can not just give you a person email without them authorizing it.

Jack Tarlin
05-21-2004, 13:34
Troll---

Did not realize the facts about posing an E-Mail address. In light of that, your present system of screening requests for personal information is thoughtful and smart.

gravityman
05-21-2004, 13:41
The spiders can still get your email, even the way you linked it the 2nd time. One nice thing over at trailforums.com is that they use a email masking system. Not sure how they do it, but it basically acts as a blind emailer, which is nice. But whiteblaze has a pretty similar system when you email a user...

Gravity Man

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 14:32
Attroll,

I'm glad you have insight and experience with all of the behind the scenes computer stuff. I hope you know you are appreciated!:banana

attroll
05-21-2004, 23:05
The spiders can still get your email, even the way you linked it the 2nd time. One nice thing over at trailforums.com is that they use a email masking system. Not sure how they do it, but it basically acts as a blind emailer, which is nice. But whiteblaze has a pretty similar system when you email a user...

Gravity ManYou are absolutely right Gravityman. That was not the correct way I should have posted the email link. They way I should have done it was as I did in the example below:

Here is another way to get around it other then the last way I posted. You can contact me through my email (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=8) if there are any problems.

Troll---

Did not realize the facts about posing an E-Mail address. In light of that, your present system of screening requests for personal information is thoughtful and smart.It only made sense for me to do it this way Jack. This is how I would want it if I was to post information in that area (which I hope to put my name there someday). All it would take is one person that does not like you and see's your email address in a list then they could start using your email address in the wrong manner. Then you could end up with all kinds of junk mail or worse. I am speaking from experience. Some has already started using the WhiteBlaze admin email to do this to.