PDA

View Full Version : Bear Bags

Chance09
03-05-2009, 17:31
I was just wondering how careful everyone is with their bear bagging. Do you make sure everything that has any food odor at all in there? Last time i was out i saw people cooking in their pots and hanging their food, but leavintg the pots laying out. And what about toothpaste and such?

Footslogger
03-05-2009, 17:58
Lots/most folks start off fairly careful and get more lax as times goes by ...at least that is my experience.

You're taking a chance either way. Truth be told, I had more food raids by minibears (chipmonks) than anything else during my thru. But I generally hung my food, unless I was in a shelter. The way I look at it ...hanging a food bag ain't that big of a hassle and why tempt fate.

You'll get a lot of different answers on this one. Listen to them all and then make up your own mind.

Have a great hike !!

'Slogger

wrongway_08
03-05-2009, 18:04
Most of the time I used it as a pillow. When there was a bear bag hanger, I would use it.

Heck, you were lucky to see a bear, when you did the dang things would run off.

Manwich
03-05-2009, 18:25
screw bears. mice. suckers will chew through anything.

Blissful
03-07-2009, 22:58
Yeah its mice and then squirrels and chipmunks up north you have to worry about. Maybe raccoons and skunks also, esp around here. But I play it safe and hang food, pots, and toothpaste.

Many Walks
03-08-2009, 00:08
Research the forums, there should be several threads about bear bagging there. This one's been kicked around twelve ways from Sunday, like dogs, hiking poles, weapons, water treatment, etc. You'll hear it all from sleeping with your food to being extra careful. They are all valid positions, so Like Footslogger said, from that you can make up your mind for what works for you. Personally, we were careful in areas with known bear activity and regular camping areas where smaller critters knew easy food sources and would chew through our tent. The rest of the time we slept with it. Saw lots of bears on the trail, but they all headed away from us with no problems. Have a great hike!

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 00:10
It is like a religion. If you have faith it works - then it works for you. Evidence one way or another can be discounted as random chance or as irrefutable proof depending on who you talk to.