PDA

View Full Version : food curiousity

wikea1
03-05-2009, 18:03
so im going out on a limb here and im not doing any food drops for my hike judging from the responses i recieved to previous posts. a curious question i have, is for the people that cooked hot meals many evenings for dinner, what kind of hot meals did you pick up in local grocery stores besides pasta and noodles? graciaaaas

wrongway_08
03-05-2009, 18:07
Lipton sides.
meat
mash patatoes
BBQ beef - drop in soft taco shells or hamburger buns
Hot dogs

High Life
03-05-2009, 18:15
Kraft Bistro
its pasta and liquid sauce , they're a little exspensive
but 3 servings in a bag is 900+ cal.
i think they change to a cardboard package
used to be foil .. so you could cook the pasta and dump it in the bug
and not have a dirty pot ..
------------------------
idahoan instant potato , make ramen with a potato sauce
-------------------------------------------------------
lipton side are so cheap , along the trail i saw 10 for 10$
-------------------------------------------------------

Footslogger
03-05-2009, 18:19
so im going out on a limb here and im not doing any food drops for my hike judging from the responses i recieved to previous posts. a curious question i have, is for the people that cooked hot meals many evenings for dinner, what kind of hot meals did you pick up in local grocery stores besides pasta and noodles? graciaaaas
========================

One of my favorites was Stovetop Stuffing (chicken type) and Chicken Chunks (in a foil packet). Throw in a little 4 cheese mashed potato flakes and you've got a meal that will satisfy and stay with you for several hours.

'Slogger

Frick Frack
03-05-2009, 18:32
All others mentioned but would like to add dried tortellini which is delicious and we found it on sale often. Add a little olive oil & your good to go.

Summer sausage sliced and sauteed in olive oil then added to mashed potatoes is awesome. Footsloggers receipe was another favorite.

bigcranky
03-05-2009, 19:18
Instant refried beans, mix with boiling water in a freezer bag. Put in flour tortilla with cheese and some salsa packets.

Lipton's rice and sauce packets, add chicken or tuna.

If you have time and fuel (and a stove that simmers), the Zatarain's red beans and rice is good, add some summer sausage.

We found instant mashed potatoes with foil packets of semi-liquid Velveeta cheeze. Some sort of "deluxe" version. Very tasty. Add bacon bits or precooked bacon strips.

Fantastic Foods couscous mix, various flavors. Add meat or other protein.

Quesadillas are easy and good if you have a large enough pan to cook them. (The lid from my Snow Peak 900 is almost big enough.) You need a little oil, some flour tortillas, shredded cheese, salsa, maybe a fresh tomato, a bag of salmon is good, or the usual bag of chicken. Put some oil in a hot pan, put the stuff inside the tortilla, close it, fry on both sides until the cheese is melted. Yum, I'm getting hungry.

modiyooch
03-06-2009, 08:38
I know this is a noodle, but it's a bit of a change. PAD THAI. Just add water.

daddytwosticks
03-06-2009, 08:45
Another vote for tortellini......:)

wikea1
03-06-2009, 14:55
yeah im not the biggest chef for these meals hopefully they are simpler than i think.

chrishowe11
03-06-2009, 15:54
getting dehydrated chili mixed with some mac and cheese is a wonderful meal might want to keep the sleeping bag unzipped :P

JAK
03-06-2009, 16:09
I keep it simple and add lentils to dried soup mixes, or add tuna to dried noodle mixes.
I eat alot of oat and sometimes have that again at night as well as breakfast.
I don't eat alot of beef jerky but some to give me a good chew each day.

For my in town or first meal out of town meals I would buy and eat stuff normally too heavy or too perishable to carry far, especially fresh meat. Maybe a whole cooked chicken. Maybe a big steak. I like the idea of traditional travelling food on the trail, and then large ammounts of meat all at once, like as if I had just killed something. It seems more natural that way. I'm not into trying to recreate home or townie meals when I'm in the woods though. I am more apt to recreate hiking meals at home than the other way around.

Blissful
03-06-2009, 21:18
That's why I liked doing drops of dinner foods to avoid the same old thing and for better nutrition. But you're young, you can eat anything and your system will probably do fine. :)

Kirby
03-06-2009, 21:27
Blissful is right, us younger hikers can pretty much eat what we want when we want on the trail.

Billygoatbritt
03-06-2009, 21:34
Liptons meals, beans and rice with suasage, anything when a craving strikes!

sarbar
03-06-2009, 21:34
Blissful is right, us younger hikers can pretty much eat what we want when we want on the trail.

Don't ya worry...give it 10 years and it will catch up :D Hehheh!!!

Visit the food and cooking section - you will get plenty of ideas. Every year there are more and more items coming out that are perfect for hikers.

Pony
03-07-2009, 00:00
Diced tomatoes, chicken and rice is really good. I add a little crushed red pepper to spice it up. The only problem is diced tomatoes usually come in a can, but if you don't mind carrying the can with you it's no big deal.

SGT Rock
03-07-2009, 00:07
Hot food for dinner?

Zatarains red beans and rice with summer sausage was one of my favorites.

Teriyaki liptons with chicken breast.

Cooked steak on an open flame a couple of times.

Ground beef (foil pack) with mashed potatoes, cheese, peas, and carrots - hiker shepards pie.

Probably some others, but other than pasta dishes these are ones that stuck out.

Deadeye
03-07-2009, 00:34
Lots of oriental meals (pad thai, curry, etc.) are available that are great with a can of chicken or shrimp added, plus everthing everyone already said.
Cous cous or Cup o soup type dishes are good with added spam, chicken, ham, vienna sausages, etc.

Pokey2006
03-07-2009, 01:11
For a first night out of town: Dice up a steak (in summer, freeze before leaving town), saute, add thawed-out package of frozen veggies in cheese sauce.

datachomper
03-07-2009, 01:22
Zatarains red beans and rice with summer sausage was one of my favorites.

Hey SGT. I was planning on doing this one on the trail. Have any preparation tips?

Hikes in Rain
03-07-2009, 09:59
Hey SGT. I was planning on doing this one on the trail. Have any preparation tips?

Bring Tabasco! I've done it on a fire and my old Whisperlite, but I'm not sure how an alcohol stove would handle the 20-25 minute cook time. Great stuff, though!

Alyssa1
03-07-2009, 20:42
idahoan instant potatoe packets and lipton/knorr sides are good.