PDA

View Full Version : cash or credit?

wikea1
03-05-2009, 18:10
yeah so im just curious on what people did for money. since i will be buying food along the way, i am wondering if the little ma&pa grocery stores will take debt cards and if not, did you thruhikers carry cash on you at all times?

Manwich
03-05-2009, 18:12
i'd carry $40 cash and the rest debit. use debit unless unable, then replenish cash when atm is availible

Footslogger
03-05-2009, 18:13
A little of both actually ...

You need to carry some cash because some places might not take plastic.

I found that a Debit Card and a reasonable amount of cash was a good combination during my through.

Most grocery stores that accept Debit Cards will allow you "cash back" on your purchase so that you can always keep your cash stash topped off.

Worked for me in 2003.

'Slogger

superman
03-05-2009, 18:22
I carried around $20-$40 cash also and I used my credit card for everything else. I continued to use a zip lock baggy after I finished the AT. I think it was when Pat from Maine and I went to a restaurant and the waitress looked at my baggy like it was strange that I went back to my wallet . Go figure.:)

4eyedbuzzard
03-05-2009, 19:30
I would keep enough cash on hand to last two weeks and/or have a backup credit card. ATM and credit cards can wind up on a compromised list--you'll need someone lookiing after your mail and messages should this occur. It's not all that uncommon. Millions of cards come up on compromised lists each year and have to be replaced via mail. Cards can also become unusable if the magnetic strip gets damaged. Have some sort of a plan in place if either of these happens. Being caught without any money isn't fun.

Kirby
03-05-2009, 19:31
Combo of cash and debit card.

garlic08
03-05-2009, 23:11
I only found a couple of small stores and restaurants that did not take credit cards. But I did carry over $100 in cash mainly in case something happened to the card. Once I got a great motel deal because the card processing system was down due to lightning and they gave a huge discount for cash.

Highway Man
03-05-2009, 23:39
I just set up an automatic payment on my one credit card account. The funds can be transferred from a checking account in another bank before the closing date. I guess I don't have to carry a lots of cash with me on the trail.

emerald
03-06-2009, 06:56
I'd use debit, cash and credit backup in that order. My primary method of making purchases would be a debit card. I wouldn't risk my entire savings or hike by keeping more than necessary in the drawing account.

I'd use cash only when required or for minor transactions like fuel. I'd replenish cash reserves by making debit with cash back transactions at post offices or larger businesses apt to have cash on hand like supermarkets. ATMs in many instances involve fees, debit with cash back doesn't.

I'd carry a credit card as backup in the event my debit card would become damaged or some other issue would render it useless until I could obtain a replacement. A credit line and card linked to it could be desirable in the event larger unanticipated purchases like gear become necessary or to finish a hike run slightly over budget. Of course, it's better to have earned and paid for a through hike beforehand rather than afterwards with interest.

Setting up automatic payments for utilities and as many other monthly obligations as possible would reduce the number of things to be concerned about while hiking.

bigcranky
03-06-2009, 08:17
Just something to consider: my credit union sent me a letter yesterday telling me that they are canceling my debit/VISA card and sending me a new one, after a large number of credit card numbers were compromised somewhere. (Which is odd because we only use it at the grocery store.)

Anyway, it occurred to me that if I were hiking for six months, I wouldn't get this letter, nor would I get the replacement card. My card would just stop working. So you might want to make sure someone is keeping an eye on your mail (which is a good idea in any case.)

fiddlehead
03-06-2009, 08:48
I guess i'm old school. I like cash.

Got travellers check wet once and VOID showed up on them. Went hungry.

Had my credit card stopped twice now and it wouldn't buy me anything until i straightened it out. Took 3 days one time. (someone had made a copy and tried to use it in London)

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Never had a problem with cash, even when wet.

boarstone
03-06-2009, 08:56
Don't carry anymore than you can afford to lose.

shelterbuilder
03-06-2009, 09:10
...Cards can also become unusable if the magnetic strip gets damaged....

Check with your bank to see if they can give you a card sleeve. The sleeve is made of (I think) Tyvek and will protect the magnetic strip from getting scratched. I got a sleeve from my bank years ago, and I'm still using the same one - in my wallet - to keep my card from being scratched/rubbed up against the other cards in my wallet. They really work!

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2009, 09:26
Good idea. The SUL crowd might be aghast at the idea of carrying the extra Tyvek, but I think I could handle the added weight.;)

shelterbuilder
03-06-2009, 09:29
Good idea. The SUL crowd might be aghast at the idea of carrying the extra Tyvek, but I think I could handle the added weight.;)

Perhaps they could slit the sleeve up one side and use it for a groundcloth??? :D

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2009, 09:31
Perhaps they could slit the sleeve up one side and use it for a groundcloth??? :D

Another gear problem solved with dual usage ingenuity!

Billygoatbritt
03-06-2009, 09:34
I use the debit card with cash as my back up.

emerald
03-06-2009, 16:06
I use the debit card with cash as my back up.

How do you propose getting more cash if or when your debit card becomes useless and your cash runs out?

garlic08
03-06-2009, 16:23
Just something to consider: my credit union sent me a letter yesterday telling me that they are canceling my debit/VISA card and sending me a new one, after a large number of credit card numbers were compromised somewhere. (Which is odd because we only use it at the grocery store.)

Anyway, it occurred to me that if I were hiking for six months, I wouldn't get this letter, nor would I get the replacement card. My card would just stop working. So you might want to make sure someone is keeping an eye on your mail (which is a good idea in any case.)

This actually happened to me on a long hike. Luckily the friend I asked to watch my mail was on the ball and caught it. Lesson learned is to carry another card or enough cash to get out of trouble if needed.

JAK
03-06-2009, 16:27
How do you propose getting more cash if or when your debit card becomes useless and your cash runs out?I think by backup he meant places that don't taker debit.

That's a good question though, like you mean if the strip wears out. ???

JAK
03-06-2009, 16:31
Might make sense to bring a credit card as backup for the debit card.
Even if the strip went on the credit card, you can still use it for stuff.
I keep my limit as low as they let me, and put a positive balance on for trips.

Credit cards are also needed for an emergency motel or car rental also, are they not?

emerald
03-06-2009, 16:39
That's a good question though, like you mean if the strip wears out. ???

Yes. Maybe your pack gets stolen, you lose your debit card, someone withdraws your funds by accident or intentionally or any one of a number of improbable but possible things which happen to a small number of real people every year.

Years ago I hiked from post office to post office where I cashed postal money orders I sent myself. I once lost 3 days hitching ahead and backtracking because of anticipated expenses. There are better strategies today.

emerald
03-06-2009, 16:53
It might not be a good idea to keep all means of payment in the same place. Be especially careful about unattended packs. Might a fanny pack be a good idea?:-?

fiddlehead
03-06-2009, 17:33
Eagle Creek Money Belt works great. I've never had one break on me yet.
Don't buy the copies, get the real thing (http://www.ebags.com/eagle_creek/undercover_trade_silk_money_belt/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=5692)

Blissful
03-06-2009, 21:14
Take cash, debit and credit card (along with your ID) and have a back up debit card at home that can be mailed to you in a pinch.

Blissful
03-06-2009, 21:15
It might not be a good idea to keep all means of payment in the same place. Be especially careful about unattended packs. Might a fanny pack be a good idea?:-?

Right, I stashed cash in several places. But kept my cards (include ID, etc) in a zipped plastic case that I had with me at all times.

stranger
03-08-2009, 22:11
Regardless of what you decide to do it's not a bad idea to stick $100 cash in the bottom of your pack somewhere so if you run into a bad situation with cash you have a backup, this does depend however on discipline otherwise it's a pointless exercise.