PDA

View Full Version : brown rice!

Celeritas
03-05-2009, 20:01
Well, I'll say I'm a health-conscious person and I really try to stay away from simple starches like white rice, potatoes, wheat, etc. I'd like to cook brown rice on the trail, but it takes so darn long to cook! I'm thinking if I soak it long enough I can get away with cooking it in just a few minutes, but I haven't tried it yet. Just thought I'd ask if anyone had advice on the subject!

Also, beans? Probably smaller ones like navy beans or blackeye peas or something? I'd really love to do chickpeas, anyone soaked and cooked with those? Other things I want to do are quinoa and lentils. :-?

My thing here is trying to avoid buying individual packages in towns. I don't like trash! I'd rather buy in bulk, ship it every so often, and carry the extra weight. Plus I'm just a picky eater who is concerned about eating quality food! :D

Thank you!

boarstone
03-05-2009, 20:05
cook the rice up at home, dehydrate, take with you, rehydrate on trail as you cook.

Celeritas
03-05-2009, 20:13
Right on, I'll have to try that. I remember now reading someone saying that about beans.

Any idea on if I'd have to soak first or just cook it up quick?

sarbar
03-05-2009, 21:43
Right on, I'll have to try that. I remember now reading someone saying that about beans.

Any idea on if I'd have to soak first or just cook it up quick?
Beans? Sure: precook and dry at home. You have instant beans! You can also use well drained and rinsed canned beans.
As well, Harmonyhousefoods.com sells ready to go beans.

Same with the rice - you can cook any type you want! All you need is 1:1 rice to boiling water and let sit cozied for a good 15 to 20 minutes.

Surplusman
03-06-2009, 07:35
I guess you could dehydrate Appalachian Trail Mix and do the same thing. Now you got my wheels turning. Since my stroke, I have to watch what I eat on and off the trail. Nix on the candy bars, ramen noodles w/ the chemical soup packet, and the insane levels of sodium in most foods. It doesn't matter how great of shape you're in...if you don't watch the blood pressure and the cholesterol, you're courting big trouble. Keep on eating the brown rice and the beans. You'll be better off for it.

budforester
03-06-2009, 08:18
Pre- soaking helps, but beans and brown rice still need lots of cooking. I've been using instant brown rice (http://www.unclebens.com/rice/fast-natural-whole-grain-instant-brown-rice.aspx), rather than dehydrate my own. There are also some dehydrated bean products, but I mostly cook and dry my own. Maybe look into pasta, too: I like the whole- wheat angel hair.

Lellers
03-06-2009, 12:10
For chick peas, I actually like the Fantastic Foods dehydrated hummus. Of course, you end up with a smooth dip and not actual chick peas, but I've added that to lots of meals as a nice, healthy condiment.

sarbar
03-06-2009, 13:16
Surplusman....if you need any suggestions on low sodium trail food, let me know. I have been on a lower sodium way of life for the past couple years :)

budforester
03-06-2009, 13:54
I guess you could dehydrate Appalachian Trail Mix and do the same thing. Now you got my wheels turning. Since my stroke, I have to watch what I eat on and off the trail. Nix on the candy bars, ramen noodles w/ the chemical soup packet, and the insane levels of sodium in most foods. It doesn't matter how great of shape you're in...if you don't watch the blood pressure and the cholesterol, you're courting big trouble. Keep on eating the brown rice and the beans. You'll be better off for it.

Appalachian Trail Mix! Wow, I haven't had that for a while. Here's a link (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1979-05-01/Appalachian-Trail-Mix.aspx), for you youngsters. Might take some experimenting... cook and dry the mixture; or would it dehydrate better if some components were dried separately?

Surplusman
03-06-2009, 13:56
Surplusman....if you need any suggestions on low sodium trail food, let me know. I have been on a lower sodium way of life for the past couple years :)

I try to restrict my self to 1200 mg of sodium a day. I've read where 2400 mg sodium is still way too much. I read all the food labels for content and if I see a recipe I like I just cook it without salt and tell the other people eating to salt to taste. But the more salt-free recipes I can find the better. Recipes would be welcome! Thank you! As for trail food, yes I do need ideas other than just soup and AT Mix. Thank you again.

budforester
03-06-2009, 14:13
I try to restrict my self to 1200 mg of sodium a day. I've read where 2400 mg sodium is still way too much. I read all the food labels for content and if I see a recipe I like I just cook it without salt and tell the other people eating to salt to taste. But the more salt-free recipes I can find the better. Recipes would be welcome! Thank you! As for trail food, yes I do need ideas other than just soup and AT Mix. Thank you again.

I've cut down sodium, too; and the WB family shared some helpful suggestions on that subject. Maybe search out some of those threads with discussions of low- sodium recipes and electrolyte replenishment.

Blissful
03-06-2009, 14:23
You can get instant brown rice at Wally World. comes in a green box.

Blissful
03-06-2009, 14:28
I would be careful about lots of restrictions like with sodium, carbs, etc esp if you are doing a long distance hike and the constant exercise that causes you to perspire and the needs of your muscles. Your body chemistry and its needs changes dramatically. Home life and trail life in regards to metabolism, etc. are quite different.

JAK
03-06-2009, 15:55
I wouldn't go quite so low as 1200mg of sodium either while hiking. Actually I might, but I would carry more just in case I needed it. It is true that the recommendation for specific groups such as individuals with hypertension, blacks, and middle-aged and older adults, is NO MORE THAN 1500mg a day, not 2300mg. This would need to go up some for hiking though, but perhaps not as much as we might think. For myself I am comfortable with the RDA of NO MORE THAN 2300mg, and try not too exceed it too much too often. I usually get enough from beef jerky or dried soup mix that I don't need to add any. Its not a bad idea to know how much sodium you are leaving home with, before you bring too much gatoraide and such. On a hot sweaty day I might just eat more jerky or add more dried soup mix to my lentils.

Wild Rice isn't rice, but its a really nice thing to add to rice.
Its somewhat expensive, but when hiking why not treat yourself.

Surplusman
03-06-2009, 17:02
I've cut down sodium, too; and the WB family shared some helpful suggestions on that subject. Maybe search out some of those threads with discussions of low- sodium recipes and electrolyte replenishment.

Thanks for the tip. I usually keep a container of AT mix in my fridge. Ed Garvey mentions in his books about some hikers who would pour boiling water in with some AT mix in a closed container. At the end of the day, very little cooking was required. I do something like that at home. I put the mix in a saucepan, pour in the boiling water, cover, and let it sit for a few hours. Very little cooking then required. I've never dehydrated foods before, but its never too late to start!

boarstone
03-06-2009, 18:16
If worried about too much ingestion of sodium in the gatorade, dilute it.

sarbar
03-06-2009, 21:17
As noted, I try to stay under 1500 mg a day myself. What those who don't watch sodium intake don't realize is that sodium is only one thing you need - going hiking is not an excuse to load up on salt. Your body will tell you if you need more - our kidneys (when healthy) reserve just what we need (Isn't that awesome?!) so excess sodium is purged out, making it hard on our kidneys.

But! One thing to watch is to get a wide range of nutrients especially potassium rich foods (unless you are on certain BP meds where potassium is not desireable, a few do that.)

For me, I would feel blechy back in then day, nauseous, unable to think clearly, no appetite, bad cramps, etc - when I was dehdyrated. Later on I found out my body was stripped of potassium. So now I carry dried bananas, lightly salted kettle potato chips, green veggies dehydrated, etc. If one wants to feel better on a hot day, when you take a break, eat 1 ounce of potato chips (all natural, less than 80 mg sodium) with your water. You will get a tiny jolt of sodium, a lot of potassium and it will help you deal with the water coming in. That little bit of sodium will encourage you to drink more. The potassium will help protect your body. (Potassium helps regulate how you use sodium)

With sodium...a tiny bit is all you need. You don't need a hit of 800 mg in a serving!

And also, you can get a number of tasty drink mixes that are lower sodium - just a hint, but not too much :)

Blissful
03-06-2009, 21:21
If worried about too much ingestion of sodium in the gatorade, dilute it.

I hate gatorade - :mad:
Stuff is awful.
:)

Yes yes to bananas in hot weather, get them when you can along the way at roadside stands and stores.

Compass
03-07-2009, 00:42
I would look at it as a ratio/s. (2:1)

For each 1000 calories allow 500mg of sodium
3000 calories---1500 mg sodium
5000-----------2500

On hot days adjust to a ratio of 1000 calories to 700 mg of sodium. Unless you are in extreme shape even these ratios for extended periods can push the boundaries of heat stress(or worse) so have a supply of salt/electrolyte just in case.

As previosly mentioned try to get all the potassium you can manage with a dehydrated diet.

Just to contrast Mtn House has a serving of 520 calories with 1920 mg of sodium which is excessive to say the least.

Surplusman
03-07-2009, 07:20
Thank all of you for your input! I know I have to up the sodium intake when hiking, I just didn't want to go hog wild. I can't thank you enough.

Tipi Walter
03-07-2009, 08:17
Pre- soaking helps, but beans and brown rice still need lots of cooking. I've been using instant brown rice (http://www.unclebens.com/rice/fast-natural-whole-grain-instant-brown-rice.aspx), rather than dehydrate my own. There are also some dehydrated bean products, but I mostly cook and dry my own. Maybe look into pasta, too: I like the whole- wheat angel hair.

You can get instant brown rice at Wally World. comes in a green box.

I find the difference between cooked organic brown rice and the dehydrated Walmart stuff to be remarkable. One tastes like a hearty grain, the other has a funny taste with the consistency of cardboard. My solution which won't be followed by nearly anyone, is to cook up a full pot of brown rice at home, ziploc it into 2 or 3 bags(make sure you cook it properly without any extra water leftover, etc), and put them in the fridge. Do this right before your trip. Then pack all the bags into your pack and have at it. They'll get you thru about 10 days of nonstop backpacking and mix well with nearly anything. In the winter they freeze solid but thaw quick when cooking. Heavy? So what?

sarbar
03-07-2009, 12:31
Btw...if one is willing to dehdyrate at home, check out the Alton Brown method of brown rice, where he bakes it in the oven. I leave out the called for oil and salt and it is perfect rice. Light, fluffy and tasty. Then spread it on a dehydrator tray and dry at 135* till crispy dry.

JAK
03-07-2009, 13:16
As noted, I try to stay under 1500 mg a day myself. What those who don't watch sodium intake don't realize is that sodium is only one thing you need - going hiking is not an excuse to load up on salt. Your body will tell you if you need more - our kidneys (when healthy) reserve just what we need (Isn't that awesome?!) so excess sodium is purged out, making it hard on our kidneys.

But! One thing to watch is to get a wide range of nutrients especially potassium rich foods (unless you are on certain BP meds where potassium is not desireable, a few do that.)

For me, I would feel blechy back in then day, nauseous, unable to think clearly, no appetite, bad cramps, etc - when I was dehdyrated. Later on I found out my body was stripped of potassium. So now I carry dried bananas, lightly salted kettle potato chips, green veggies dehydrated, etc. If one wants to feel better on a hot day, when you take a break, eat 1 ounce of potato chips (all natural, less than 80 mg sodium) with your water. You will get a tiny jolt of sodium, a lot of potassium and it will help you deal with the water coming in. That little bit of sodium will encourage you to drink more. The potassium will help protect your body. (Potassium helps regulate how you use sodium)

With sodium...a tiny bit is all you need. You don't need a hit of 800 mg in a serving!

And also, you can get a number of tasty drink mixes that are lower sodium - just a hint, but not too much :)Sarbar,

But isn't pottassium in pretty much everything already. OK, maybe not everything, but all grains and vegetables. I've always like banana chips also, but after looking into it I already get enough from oatmeal and stuff. How much potassium is needed? Also curious if a ratio matters, or if it is ok to go high potassium and lower sodium?

Bananas are high, but isn't most plant food already high enough?
OK. I checked stuff out. I see that some stuff like white rice is really low.

White Rice 100g 358kcal only 76mg of potassium

Brown Rice 100g 370kcal 223mg of potassium

Wild Rice 100g 357kcal 427mg of potassium
Oatmeal 100g 389kcal 429mg of potassium

Lentils 100g 353kcal 955mg of potassium

Bananas 100g 346kcal 1491mg of potassium (dehydrated banana chips)

Paprika 100g 289kcal 2344mg of potassium

p.s. Check out paprika. lots of vitamin A and C also. 100g is a bit much though.

russb
03-07-2009, 13:22
Paprika 100g 289kcal 2344mg of potassium

p.s. Check out paprika. lots of vitamin A and C also. 100g is a bit much though.

Since paprika is just powdered dried red bell pepper... go straight to the source!

JAK
03-07-2009, 13:46
Since paprika is just powdered dried red bell pepper... go straight to the source!Then do what? Dehydrate it?

That's what I think is great about paprika. It is a great food already dehydrated for hikers.

It's not like some other spices where you have to go somewhat easy either. You can use quite a bit, adding to rice or lentil soup or whatever. I wouldn't go much higher than 100g a day, but lots of vitamins and minerals and it holds its own in calories also. Other spices have lots of vitamins and minerals and calories also, and hold their own in calories per gram, but you might not be able to have quite so much per day because they are often just part of a plant where some stuff is too concentrated. You can halucinate and even overdose on nutmeg for example. One or two gives a nice buzz though, and should be safe enough, maybe not every day.

JAK
03-07-2009, 13:48
I suppose if you wanted really good paprika you would dehydrate it yourself. Might try that. Thanks.

russb
03-07-2009, 17:47
JAK, I didn't consider making one's own paprika as a spice... it does sound like a good idea though. My thought was just to eat red bell pepper. I do dry my own slices to add to meals. Great taste and amazing color too. Not to mention the health benefits you posted.

sarbar
03-07-2009, 20:04
Hehheh....over the years I have had guys ask me about meals with "less vegetables" :D
I eat a lot of veggies at home and so I keep on it on the trail. Gives bulk to meals as well - add in veggies and feed more. My favorites lately has been freeze dried zucchini and spinach flakes :) Yum! All are very good for your body!

Alyssa1
03-07-2009, 20:54
i never knew you could pre-soak food to get it to cook faster!!