PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Connecticut

DaleTr
03-05-2009, 22:40
5-6 backpackers want to hike the state of CT last week of June south to north. Depart trailhead Sunday morning and hope to roughly avg 8 mile days. Appears we can resupply at Cornwall Bridge on Tues then resupply again Salisbury on Thurs. and probably finish the trail Friday. My question is this. I must find an airport and fly out on Friday for a Saturday wedding. How would someone up north guide me to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mateozzz
03-05-2009, 23:02
The big airport is Bradley International, just north of Hartford. You could fly into New York but then you have to deal with traffic, etc... If you want to save some money, you can fly to Providence, its an extra hour away but the tickets are usually cheaper.

Turtlehiker
03-05-2009, 23:51
NW CT all the way across to Providence would be a trek, I would stick to Hartford are you gonna have a car or do you need shuttle?

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2009, 23:59
new movie coming out. the hauntings of connecticut. based on a true story. hike fast thru that state!!! isn't there a ghost town somewhere near the trail in connecticut.?

le loupe
03-06-2009, 00:16
If you're gonna do the whole state you're never gonna do it in 6 days averaging 8 miles a day and two town visits.

Isnt it more like 60 miles from Hoyt Road to Bear Mountain and back down again. The hike out to Cornwall bridge adds 3 miles or so plus lost time. Salisbury will add a couple more.

Your more likely to have success starting in Salisbury and hiking south. Thats 46 miles plus one resupply at Cornwall Bridge (not that there is much there). Finishing on friday see if you can get down to Harlem Valley (5 miles from trail head) to catch the commuter train back to NYC. Trains leave every 2 hours. You should be able to fly anywhere you want from there.

Hermes
03-06-2009, 10:28
I would fly out of Bradley INT north of Hartford, its you best bet probably.

I also agree le loupe. The CT section is roughly 52 miles from end to end, but calculating coming back down from Bear mt. and town trips, will add miles and take time. You might want to carry more food if you plan on 8 mile days and only stop in Cornwall. Plus by the time you get to Salisbury, you are almost done with the state anyways, only a few more miles.
Or I would suggest increasing the mileage a little to 10-12 mile days when and where you can so you have enough time to make your flight. Some sections are very flat, especially along the river so it is possible.

Kirby
03-06-2009, 11:50
No reason to resupply, it's only 60 miles.

Old Grouse
03-06-2009, 11:57
Well it's just like me to be contrary. A lot of the New Yawkers who now populate Salisbury on summer weekends travel by train up the Harlem line (that is, through Pawling) to Wassaic, the last stop. From there it isn't so many miles to Salisbury, so I figure the quickest way to a major airport will be via shuttle or taxi to Wassaic, then train to NYC and Laguardia Airport. That may also be cheaper than a taxi to Bradley, which is half way from Hartford to Massachusetts.

By the way, when planning travel from any minor train depot, always check the schedule in advance. I was once stuck in Port Jervis for hours thinking I could just hop the next train to NYC. Ended up taking the bus.
OG

WritinginCT
03-06-2009, 12:05
Besides Bradley airport in Hartford there is Tweed airport in New Haven.

I mention Tweed because you can catch the Metro-North train in either Danbury or Waterbury and get to New Haven fairly easily. (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm)

You can also find info on CT public bus system here that provides service to Bradley aiport and other points in the state. http://www.cttransit.com/

blackyjones
04-04-2009, 21:07
your best bet is actually westchester airport in NY. its just as far from the trail as bradley but is smaller and easier to navigate. not alot of traffic in and out and i fly out of both alot. like westchester alot better. and there is only one ghost town in ct left that i know about. its called dudleytown. there is all sorts of stories and such about it. its been in alot of books. the trail passes probably 30 or so miles from it. the problem being that lots of people have always gone there and now the cops really crack down on it. i went about 6 years ago. but like i said, its very much watched now and the police do not hesitate to arrest any and all trespassers.

my opinion, fly into westchester. its just as far (about an hour and a half from the trailhead) and much much easier

elangomat
04-04-2009, 22:10
Continue your hike a few miles into NY and grab the train into NYC and take ground transportation to LaGuardia or JFK. The AT Station operates on weekends only but the station to the north: Harlem Valley-wingdale or to the south Pawling operate 7 days. See www.mta.info (http://www.mta.info) Harlem line for schedule. Also noted above, Westchester (White Plains) is a good option. You can transfer from the train to #12 bus at Mount Kisco or White Plains. See www.westchestergov.con/gettingaround (http://www.westchestergov.con/gettingaround)