PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike MEGA starting July 1st, Possible?

Mrpokey
03-05-2009, 23:17
Is it possible or realistic to start a thru hike from Maine on July 1st and reach Springer by January 1st? Any major issues or problems with this idea?

rickb
03-05-2009, 23:19
Sounds perfect.

Mrpokey
03-05-2009, 23:32
And how do I get my pack to Maine? I don't think I can mail it (fuel, knife, etc). I don't want to take the chance of the airport "losing" it, or get in the woods and notice some or my gear is missing. Any ideas?

RITBlake
03-05-2009, 23:49
And how do I get my pack to Maine? I don't think I can mail it (fuel, knife, etc). I don't want to take the chance of the airport "losing" it, or get in the woods and notice some or my gear is missing. Any ideas?

My method of choice? Take your pack and find a box that it fits in to snugly. Check it at the counter. No risk of straps getting caught or the pack getting trashed. Airlines are pretty good. I'd take it on a plane before I mailed it 100%

ARambler
03-05-2009, 23:51

Airport lose your pack? No. Ok my flight was cancelled, and I got a new flight to another airport, and my pack took a week to get to Maine. I left July 1st and had no problems. You will not avoid the mosquitoes, but the black flies should not be a problem.

Check your pack on, buy your fuel in ME and you should have no problem.
Rambler

Mrpokey
03-05-2009, 23:53
Also how can I get to Kahatin from the airport?

RITBlake
03-05-2009, 23:56

Mrpokey, you may want to search the articles section or search through past forum posts first... all your questions have been answered by previous hikers. Your scenario is not unique, do a little digging and you'll find all the answers you need.

Blissful
03-06-2009, 00:24
Sure, why not? have fun! Likely get snow at the end, esp in the Smokies and balds. And cold weather, so just be prepared.

Pokey2006
03-06-2009, 00:46
If you keep your pack size down, you can bring it on the plane as a carry-on.

TJ aka Teej
03-06-2009, 06:01
Take a taxi or city bus to the bus terminal, and take the bus to Medway.
Then take the taxi or a shuttle or hitch to Millinocket to spend the night.
Then take the taxi or a shuttle or hitch to Baxter State Park.
Check out this forum and the ATC's free online ALDHA Thru-hikers' Companion for more details. www.aldha.org

TJ aka Teej
03-06-2009, 06:03
2 Year Anniversary, Springer Mtn, March 5th, '07
Happy anniversay, Blissful!:banana

jnetx
03-06-2009, 09:57
And how do I get my pack to Maine? I don't think I can mail it (fuel, knife, etc).

You can UPS it as long as it goes ground. Of course you would have to stay somewhere where UPS package can be delivered to. Check with the AT Lodge to see if they would receive it for you. They do a great SOBO special that includes pickup at the Bus stop, bunkroom , and ride in to Baxter early the next morning.

phillycheze
03-23-2009, 02:11
whussup with the above message?...

i donno exactly when i'm starting (looking good for early to mid july, really looking like july 1st) but will be getting a ride from the Wash DC area all the way to the trail head in Baxter. then picked up that afternoon after Katahdin and back to wherever... then back to the AT the next day to begin walking south. get at me folks as our schedules may work out. peace.

buzzamania
03-23-2009, 02:54
You can UPS it as long as it goes ground. Of course you would have to stay somewhere where UPS package can be delivered to. Check with the AT Lodge to see if they would receive it for you. They do a great SOBO special that includes pickup at the Bus stop, bunkroom , and ride in to Baxter early the next morning.

Shameless plug here. . you don't want to send it UPS their damage frequencies are high. Send it FedEx Ground and put "hold at terminal for pickup" on the label. They'll hold it for 2 weeks/10 business days from the day it arrives. Or if they will receive it for you at a business near the trail head even better. The USPS will not accept FedEx or UPS deliveries. I would definitely put it in a sturdy box with packing material inside. Make sure your name and phone number are inside the pack as well as the outside and label in case they became separated, insure that puppy to be safe.