PDA

View Full Version : Water in Ga.

Sarge
05-20-2004, 20:47
Can anyone tell me what the water situation is this time of year in the Georgia section? The reason I ask is because 3 summers ago I did a weekend hike with my kids and the water situation was real bad. We hiked north from Neel's Gap and every spring all the way to Tesnatee Gap was dry. We ended up walking down the road and found a trickle in the ditch to get us by. The piped spring at Whitley Gap was flowing good when we got there so we were lucky. I don't know how much rain you've received up there, but we haven't had much rain here in southern Georgia this year. I know sometimes water sources can be hit and miss, but any heads up on places that might be a concern would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sarge

Speer Carrier
05-21-2004, 05:47
My son-in law and I hiked the Georgia section of the AT just two weeks ago, and did not have any problem finding water anywhere along the way.

Chip
05-22-2004, 19:51
My wife and I hiked the entire GA section May 1st thru the 12th (took our time). You will find water with no problem. We would tank up at the springs at the shelters or campsites we stayed at. I ran out a couple of times but found springs along the trail to fill up again. I know what you are talking about. Back in Oct. of 2000 I hiked this section during the drought (for 2 long sections about 15 miles each we found no water. It was rough for me cause I drink alot of water.) May 1st and 2nd it poured!! so our first 2 days we got soaked! The next 10 days were beautiful ! Hope you have good weather & a
good time !!! ;)