PDA

View Full Version : Prolite 4 or Agnes Insulated air core?

jrnj5k
03-06-2009, 11:01
Which would you recommend
http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=41&cID=1 Prolite 4

http://bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore Air Core Insulated

skinewmexico
03-06-2009, 11:50
Actually, I'd recommend a POE Ether Thermo 6. But either the POE or BA will be more comfortable than the Prolite 4.

ChinMusic
03-06-2009, 12:04
At age 24 you can go with something lighter than either of those two, or at least start out with a lighter one and see how it goes.

For me, at age 50, I want/need the 2.5" Insulated Air Core.

skinewmexico
03-06-2009, 12:15
What ChinMusic said. I didn't see the age. Why, when I was your age, I just threw down a few rocks to sleep on!

Mrs Baggins
03-06-2009, 13:44
We're going to wait for the Thermarest Neo Air to come out. The reviews by testers in Backpacker were incredibly good. We were never warm on the "insulated" BA Aircore if the outside air temps were much under 45 and the Neo Air purports to be much warmer due to an internal shield that reflects body heat back up instead of sucking the heat right out of you like the BA. The Neo Air is pricey but there is no price too high for a good night's sleep as far as we're concerned.

ChinMusic
03-06-2009, 14:01
We were never warm on the "insulated" BA Aircore if the outside air temps were much under 45 and the Neo Air purports to be much warmer due to an internal shield that reflects body heat back up instead of sucking the heat right out of you like the BA.
I've had the BA Insulated Air Core down to the rated 15° without a bit of a problem while tenting, and just below 32° in a shelter. A problem at 45° is beyond belief.

Mrs Baggins
03-06-2009, 14:33
I've had the BA Insulated Air Core down to the rated 15° without a bit of a problem while tenting, and just below 32° in a shelter. A problem at 45° is beyond belief.

Believe it. Tent and shelters. My husband doesn't get all that cold when he sleeps but even he says the mat sucks the warmth right out of him. I have to put a Z Lite pad on top of it as a barrier to keep from freezing, which then adds bulk and weight to my pack. I want to stop carrying that but still be warm and comfy. I use an REI Sub Kilo 25 degree bag in warm weather and a Sub Kilo Plus -10 bag in cold weather - and I still have to use the extra pad on top of the mattress to keep from shivering. We once had to pack it up and leave with a trail angel from Gooch Gap shelter when it was in the mid-20's because I could not stop shivering. It was then that several other hikers told me to get the Z Lite, or some kind of closed cell pad, to put between me and the mattress because it was like a cube of ice under me.

ChinMusic
03-06-2009, 14:38
R-values:
Insulated Air Core = 4.1
ProLite Plus = 3.8
Thermarest Neo Air = 2.5

If one is cold with an Insulated Air Core they ain't gonna be happy with a Neo Air. I see the Neo Air as more of a summer pad when I don't need something warm.

Deadeye
03-06-2009, 14:56
At age 24 you can go with something lighter than either of those two, or at least start out with a lighter one and see how it goes.

For me, at age 50, I want/need the 2.5" Insulated Air Core.

Ditto (at age 53), and I have no difficulty with the warmth. and I sleep in hammocks, tents, shelters, or bare ground.

skinewmexico
03-06-2009, 16:37
I slept on my Ether Thermo last weekend at 22 degrees, and was fine. But sleep solutions vary wildly from individual to individual. If I wanted to use it when it was colder, I'd probably throw a Gossamer Gear thinlite pad on it, and not have to put up with the bulk of a z-rest. I also find it amazing that so few people even considered an air mattress until Thermarest finally decided to do one. Guess it's like golf clubs, every always wants the newest and most outrageously priced driver.

Blissful
03-06-2009, 21:24
Both are good. We have an old Thermarest. But for me as a side sleeper, the BA is great.

rockdawg69
03-06-2009, 22:58
Used the BA Air Core for a year. Lighter than my Thermarest (2.0 inch) but not as warm. Bought an Exped Downmat 7 recently. Wider and a lot warmer than the BA but a little more than a pound heavier. Not planning on hauling that extra pound in my pack for any long distance trips. But it works great in my hammock for short trips when winter camping and/or with Scouting weekends. Need more warmth?? go for the Exped DM 9. Exped DMs don't suck heat from you in my experiences.

Cabin Fever
03-06-2009, 23:21
I slept in Overmountain Shelter (the Barn) with it in the single digits and had no problem getting a good nights rest. I was using a Sierra Designs 0 degree bag.

Wags
03-07-2009, 01:42
i often wonder if people who are saying they get cold in the insulated aircore have their pads upside down, which would compress the primaloft instead of leading it hang. had mine to 25 np

skinewmexico
03-07-2009, 02:06
Good question. I put the textured (red) side up.

Mrs Baggins
03-07-2009, 07:08
R-values:
Insulated Air Core = 4.1
ProLite Plus = 3.8
Thermarest Neo Air = 2.5

If one is cold with an Insulated Air Core they ain't gonna be happy with a Neo Air. I see the Neo Air as more of a summer pad when I don't need something warm.

We know what Will Rogers said about statistics.............I know what I know from lots of experience. I'll watch the buyer reviews when the Neo Air comes out, but for now, according to the testers, it's very good.

Tipi Walter
03-07-2009, 08:29
R-values:
Insulated Air Core = 4.1
ProLite Plus = 3.8
Thermarest Neo Air = 2.5

I notice you quoted the Prolite Plus which is different than the Prolite 4 at 3.2 Rvalue. Probably the reason you did this is because the Prolite 4 has been discontinued by Thermarest and replaced by the Plus. Go figure. The 4s are still available though online.

When it comes to summer camping nearly any pad will work and many have been used by a variety of backpackers, some don't even use pads. I have no exp with the Big Agnes pads but have used the Prolite 4 large as my summer pad for years and find it firm but comfortable. And compared to my winter pad it is very light.

ChinMusic
03-07-2009, 10:35
We know what Will Rogers said about statistics.............I know what I know from lots of experience. I'll watch the buyer reviews when the Neo Air comes out, but for now, according to the testers, it's very good.
LOL, good luck with that, or take the winters off.

saimyoji
03-07-2009, 19:38
i used to use the POE maxlite thermo....found it uncomfortable. was given a PL4 this passed winter, like it much better.

r-values will give you a good comparison as to what will be warmer, but we each use gear a little differently. In the end you go with what works for you.

Cabin Fever
03-07-2009, 19:48
This is like comparing Chevy and Ford. Some people are BA loyal and some are Thermarest loyal. Depends on each person as to which one is better. Personally, I use a BA because I am big and I never touch the ground with it. I have told others it is like an ultralight swimming float.

buz
03-08-2009, 15:08
I have a TR LE model, 2" thick, nice pad, but about 2#. Used to be my one and only, switched to a BA insulated, like it better overall. For me, a dedicated side sleeper, TR pads need to be minimum 1.5" thick, which the pro 4 is. However, I have to blow those up hard as a rock to make sure my bony hip stays off the ground. But the BA isn't perfect. Like others, I have learned the cold way the lower limit of the pad. For me, it is 30 degrees. No problem to 30 minimum, any lower I better have some closed cell help on top of the mattress. I stay warm, but often just pack the above mentioned TR instead, because it works just fine by itself for cold weather.