PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Nude - Anybody done this?

eyahiker
05-20-2004, 23:16
Ok, figure I'd ask this question, If it's been discussed thoroughly before ( other than the earth day comments) forgive me.

I was looking at google and searched for female hiker, the fourth site to come up with was the one below about a guy named Steve who hikes naked. Interesting to say the least, and I've heard of folks doing this for Earth Day....

BUT, how many folks out there have actually done this? Fact or folklore?

Uh oh, I hope I don't get in trouble for giving this link to nude photos and that I'm not offending anyone.....that is not my intention!

http://wanr.earthbiz.net/StevesHiking.html

Streamweaver
05-21-2004, 01:06
Actually I think the official nude hiking day on the AT is in june.first day of summer I tink. Earth day is in April which can be a bit nipply for nude hiking! Streamweaver

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 06:29
You are right! As you can see it is not something I know alot about. I did find some other good comments in another thread as well that I had missed earlier. I figured there'd be some pretty funny stories out there, but so far, it's pretty quiet here.............and I KNOW some of the WB:-? folks are NOT shy

Kozmic Zian
05-21-2004, 09:42
Yea.......eya Nude? You say you wanted to get nude? Or something to that affect. Sure, we like that.....sorry, no sexist commentos here, guys. KZ@:banana

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 10:07
Nude is good, but wouldn't you get some mean blisters from the pack?

Just read the story in this month's OUTSIDE magazine about "extreme outdoor mofo's" and the guy who hiked across Britian nude....he was arrested repeatedly and I think ( don't have the article in front of me) spent several months in jail.

That was on the page with the guy from india who was covered with blisters because he ROLLED for 2000+ miles, apparently he is at it again and is on his way to Pakistan. I believe this is a relilgious thing ( hmmm, wonder what Alligator would have to say about that, would it be his right to not to have to drive by the guy rolling along side of the road:-? ) LOL

I wonder if you could roll nude through, say, Virginia? Anybody want to go?

VAMTNHIKER
05-21-2004, 10:18
it's a different Steve....

honest!
I promise....

::sigh:: I wouldn't look that buff if I tried!

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 10:20
Steve, was that YOU??????

:banana

pharper
05-21-2004, 10:47
I believe this is a relilgious thing ( hmmm, wonder what Alligator would have to say about that, would it be his right to not to have to drive by the guy rolling along side of the road:-? ) LOL
I'm sorry, this post is off this thread's topic, but addresses eyahiker's comment above. I am not trying to provoke a respone, nor am I trying to hijack the thread... to me this thread is absolutely hilarious!! :)

I find it strange that you claim to be so willing to help people out, but you can't help bringing this up. I think that by doing this, you are provoking a response from Alligator that will end up turning this thread into another religious discussion. I understand that several things were said by multiple parties on that thread that were uncalled for, but I think that it should stop on that thread. I don't know you at all, and I could be wrong in my opinion of your post earlier... if so, I do apologize. :o

Back to topic... I have to agree with the post above about blisters from the pack... I have hiked for a while with no shirt on, doesn't feel good... (although it could just be my pack!!!) :sun

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 10:49
No you're right. It's just that I was still thinking about the other thread. On topic......my fault! I do NOT want to start another discussion, the one already started is plenty:banana

How far did you hike before you started to get blisters? Was is summer? I assume you were NOT rolling......

pharper
05-21-2004, 10:53
How far did you hike before you started to get blisters? Was is summer?I actually didn't go until I got blisters... I put a shirt back on b/c I was starting to get very uncomfortable, as well as many "hot spots"! :cool:

I probably only hiked a few miles, but I couldn't imagine doing much more without getting a few blisters -- ouch!

-EDIT-
It was summer, and I wasn't rolling!!! :sun

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 11:05
Thanks for the update! Glad to see that there aren't alot of rollers out there, I sort of burst out laughing when I first read about it, not the motive FOR the rolling(What dedication!) but the visual image of a man actually doing this.....

Chappy
05-21-2004, 17:05
No to nude...I'm a prude. ;)

Hammock Hanger
05-21-2004, 17:09
NOT that I ADMIT too...:) Sue/HH

Rain Man
05-21-2004, 18:15

Apparently not folklore!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturist_hikers/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturists-outdoors/

Now, I'm going to do my best imitation of Hammock Hanger's imitation of "Sargeant Schultz" .... "I know NOTHING!"

:cool:

eyahiker
05-21-2004, 19:31
Wow Rain Man - I had no idea this was such a broad subject! Magazines and everything, whew.

I learn something new every day here on WB! I guess many of the folks here are quiet about this sort of thing, I have seen no hilarious stories about crawling through brush, pack rashes, etc.

Glad I have not come across some of these folks in my travels in the woods, I would probably have been a little apprehensive.:)

steve hiker
05-22-2004, 01:29
jumblejowl and terri will be naked on June 21

:jump :jump

JLB
05-22-2004, 01:54
Hiking nude is against the law, isn't it?

Chappy
05-22-2004, 04:28
jumblejowl and terri will be naked on June 21

:jump :jump
Where will you be? I return from Korea 8 June. On second thought...send me some pictures to preview. :D

eyahiker
05-22-2004, 07:37
Well, we know JLB won't be there, he'll have no place to put his GUN,

OR WILL HE?

eyahiker
05-22-2004, 07:41
Jumble Jowls, you and Terri have a great hike!:banana

Chappy
05-22-2004, 07:59

OR WILL HE?
He did say he kept it in a fanny back. Wonder if it will be on his fanny or in the front?

eyahiker
05-22-2004, 08:18
Good point Chappy!Oh Yeah, he did mention a fanny pack, I was thinking TOTALLY nude:banana

Guns can often be seen by others as an extension of ones' penis - a powerful feeling, a feeling of control and safety, to push fear down inside with a false sense of security, so I'll have to vote he'll wear it in the FRONT.

http://travel.discovery.com/news/afp/20040119/gallery/hiker_goto.jpg (http://travel.discovery.com/news/afp/20040119/hiker.html#)
ABOVE: Steve the nude hiker in Britain.

Anyway, interesting that he is not aware of the laws regarding hiking nude, yet knows he will be breaking laws carrying in areas like the SMNP and doesn't seem to care. It's just the 26 posts in less than 24 hours which screams out TROLL to me.
What's going on in Korea? You counting things down:clap

SavageLlama
05-22-2004, 08:30
Uh oh, I hope I don't get in trouble for giving this link to nude photos and that I'm not offending anyone.....that is not my intention!

http://wanr.earthbiz.net/StevesHiking.html
This picture is just plain wrong...

http://wanr.earthbiz.net/hanging.gif

eyahiker
05-22-2004, 08:33
Is it me or is this blending into the background so it leaves it up to your imagination? Don't you get pine needles stuck to the sweat on your rear end, just doesn't look too comfortable from here.:confused:

Desert Lobster
05-22-2004, 10:49
Sort of reminds me about the two male hikers sitting on a bridge railing with parts a hangin'. One says,"that water is sure cold" and the other says,"and deep too!"

Lilred
05-22-2004, 11:19

so is carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. You do intend to get permits for all the states you will be going through, I assume...... :rolleyes:

JLB
05-22-2004, 14:48

OR WILL HE?

I thought you were against breaking the law?

Or is that only the laws you agree with?

JLB
05-22-2004, 14:49
so is carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. You do intend to get permits for all the states you will be going through, I assume...... :rolleyes:

This thread isn't about guns, but to politely answer your question, yes, I will have permits for the states I will be traveling in.

Streamweaver
05-22-2004, 15:00
Guns can often be seen by others as an extension of ones' penis - a powerful feeling, a feeling of control and safety, to push fear down inside with a false sense of security <<<< Total femenist BS!!! Streamweaver

JLB
05-22-2004, 15:02
Guns can often be seen by others as an extension of ones' penis - a powerful feeling, a feeling of control and safety, to push fear down inside with a false sense of security <<<< Total femenist BS!!! Streamweaver
Lol. :D

True.

Chappy
05-22-2004, 17:42
What's going on in Korea? You counting things down:clap
Just counting down the days. Anxious to get back. Did have a good hike two weeks ago. Turned out to be more of a mountain climb, but it was free of people so I finally found some solitude in the Land of the Morning Calm.

Hey, looks like I really need to hike with you...with all these photos and analogies you sound like fun! :D

eyahiker
05-22-2004, 19:03
Nah, I just sound funny. I just couldn't help myself, I find this rather funny and interesting and odd all at the same time, after all I was born naked into this world just like the rest of us!

You don't become who you are until you put your clothes ON.

Grimace
05-24-2004, 12:38
Am I the only one who's gonna admit to hiking nude? I have to say though, my experience is a bit of a cop out.

My wife, two other people we hiked with for 1500 miles, and I left from Penn Mar state park at 3:00 in the morning to do the Maryland Challenge. We hiked until 6:30 or so naked. Dark the whole way and we passed noone.

Was pretty funny when Wrong Way fell down in the dark and the three of us all turned to see if he was okay. Never seen anyone move so quick with three spotlights (headlamps) shining on him.

Was even funnier when we came to a road crossing. We crossed the road and then had to hike along it for 100 yards or so before entering the woods on the other side. One lone truck drove by, slowed a bit, and then kept going. Just imagine some guy on his way to work at 4:30 staring at his coffee thinking, "What the hell did I put in here?"

Kinda off topic. If that guy hiked accross Britain w/o clothes, what the heck is in his pack? That thing is huge! When I say thing, I'm referring to pack.

eyahiker
05-24-2004, 16:51
I'd admit to this if I'd done it! Have not had the opportunity, except to get up in the middle of the night to answer the call, but I don't this counts as much - feels great - but definately not a stroll down the trail:)

Needles
05-24-2004, 23:09
I admit to it, I have done it, my hiking partner wasn't to thrilled about it, but hey, it was hot and this was before I had discovered kilts. Hiking in a kilt is almost as comfortable, but just almost.

This was in late July, in Tennesse, on a not heavily hiked section of the trail, so I was pretty sure no one would see me who wouldn't be expecting to see a deathly thin, out of shape, smelly, pierced, tattooed, naked hiker, coming towards them, and I covered up when I got close to a road crossing. I am very comfortable without clothes, but I understand that others might not be as comfortable with my nudity, so I think if I did it again I would try to do so with a few other hikers, for some reason a group of naked people seem somewhat less threatening than a single naked person. Don't ask me why, cause I really don't know.

steve hiker
05-25-2004, 02:06
I think if I did it again I would try to do so with a few other hikers, for some reason a group of naked people seem somewhat less threatening than a single naked person. Don't ask me why, cause I really don't know.
Cause a single nayked person wants another nayked person but a group of nayked person already got other nayked person. :jump

eyahiker
05-25-2004, 21:31
Yeah well, up in your belt, or down around your knees, I like seeing kilts on the trail:banana

Ramble~On
05-25-2004, 23:09
LMAO. Guns made it into this thread too ?

Yeah, I hike naked sometimes...
I'm the guy with the NRA tattoo on his chest.:bse

steve hiker
05-26-2004, 00:27
Nothing better than standing naked on top that rock on Thunderhead Mountain with a good buzz. :sun

Chappy
05-26-2004, 00:52
I'm still a prude...no to nude. :D

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 10:38
nekkid..just like in the Garden of Eden

Lone Wolf
05-26-2004, 10:41
Garden of Eden. A myth. A story.

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 10:49
wolf...I am glad that you were clothed when I saw you :D

Chappy
05-26-2004, 17:54
L. Wolf...based on what I read on WB about your lifestyle I thought you lived in the Garden of Eden. It's all about perfection! :D

eyahiker
05-26-2004, 20:39
Hard to hike your pistol when your nekkid. Or is it?:clap

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 21:10
this is my rifle..this is my gun....

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2004, 17:26
I suppose you wouldn't have to worry about getting wet if it rains, though the temperatures would dictate the nudity. Make sure to apply sunscreen and bug juice. Maybe another advantage would be the ability to ward off the ticks before they burrow, though they may then have access to previously unaccessible places...:eek:

Sasqwatch
03-18-2011, 10:57

So is driving above the speed limit and changing lanes without signaling.

scope
03-18-2011, 11:02
No to nude... I'm a control freak!

Sasqwatch
03-18-2011, 11:10
My wife and I have done it, but only on a secluded trail where we knew that the chances of running into anyone else were slim to none. I see no issues as long as it's done in consideration for other people. Personally I probably wouldn't on the AT as it is so heavily traveled. Now, taking a swim without the trunks on the trail? Absolutely! If my swimming offends someone I can simply stay in the water until they've hiked on past.

Bare Bear
03-18-2011, 13:21
Summer solstice is never good on the Trail. I feel sorry for folks that do nt know out there with their kids while mostly perverts stut about. nude.

Penguin
03-18-2011, 14:49
I've been caught making love at least a dozen times on trail. Seems to be the best way to make a group of boy scouts appear heading SOBO, after days without seeing a soul. Never hiked naked though. I keep forgetting my birthday is naked hiking day, or I'm just in mosquito hell at the time. One friend, Guts, earned his name by hiking Mt. Whitney naked on naked hiking day of '07. He didn't have sunblock and hated the burn. An old marine up top gave him a bandanna which said "No Guts, No Glory" on it to cover up, hence his name.

Hopefully I won't be the only au natural person on AT on my b-day this year. Hopefully I will be in a nude legal area of the trail where peeps don't get anal about seeing a bare bum. Hey It's totally legal to be nude in San Fran in public, should be that way everywhere.

Penguin
03-18-2011, 14:54
Forgot about my three nude days at Deep Creek Hot Springs, 30 ft off PCT. Great place when you guys decide to do PCT plan on spending a few days there. It's two miles and a 1000 vertical from the nearest road, but there are a lot of LA dayhikers there and some others that spend a few days. Most people are naked. Every use group imaginable shows up from hippies, yuppies, to the local ranchers, to Latin gangbangers, to skin-heads, and everyone just gets along and has a good time. There are several natural tubs a river you can cliff jump into, and plenty of good California love for all.

Sonno
03-18-2011, 15:12
Seriously?

Yahtzee
03-18-2011, 15:28
Hiked nude quite often. Before and after Nude Hiking Day. Never had a problem with my pack rubbing anything the wrong way.

As for other people, use your best judgment. If you are in SNP or another area popular with day hikers, maybe think twice about it. But those spots are few and far between. I would simply tuck a pair of shorts in a one of my pack's side pockets and if I saw someone approaching I would pull the shorts out and tuck them into my hip belt so my netherregions were covered. kinda like a loincloth.

alot of fuss is made about nude hiking, but rarely is anyone ever put out by it. it's just walking. naked.

Penguin
03-18-2011, 15:34
Seriously?

About what part? Read peoples PCT journals from around the middle of May mile 306-ish, if you want to read about Deep Creek. This is a seriously awesome hot springs. You know your close when you start seeing naked people on the trail, as there is another "warm spring" a few miles south of the main area of beautiful hot springs. I showed up with only a pint of tequila, and for three days the day hikers were pouring shots into me and handing me beers that they didn't want to have to haul back up to their cars. I felt like a recycling center walking away from that place with all the aluminum that I accumulated. Someone left pool floaty things too that you could float around in the large pool in the creek on which was a fabulous idea. So happy I brought extra sunblock from Big Bear for my extended stay. One of the places on the trail that I look forward to heading back too again for sure, as a tourist/ non-hiker.

Cool Hands
03-18-2011, 19:51
There are certain things that nobody wants to or needs to see.

IMO of course.

Cool Hands
03-18-2011, 20:31
Seriously?

Also: I think this about sums it up ^^^.

Mags
03-19-2011, 20:36
Egads..this thread started in 2004. Zombie thread to say the least! :eek:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/18/128977911808905285.jpg

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2011, 20:58
After reading 30 year old Steve's thread, I realized when he came around the corner and there were thirty hikers there, he deliberately left out a fact, that it was the

Girl Scouts!

geomaniac
03-19-2011, 21:25
I am all for it! I wont hold it against anyone if they want to hike nude...I am much to shy to do it though. HYOH

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2011, 21:35
Almost Monty Python - ish look what happened.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/hike.jpg

Pedaling Fool
06-10-2011, 10:17
It's that time of year again. I don't normally start a thread on this but I saw a story of this over in Germany and in it they link to a story about the AT. http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110610/wl_time/08599207678300

JAK
06-10-2011, 11:49
On a really hot day i hiked in my boxers once, when i didnt expect anyone else on the trail. Bumped into one couple, but they were respectable boxers.

You still have to carry your clothes in your pack. Just sayin.

Nutbrown
06-10-2011, 12:03
Last year I was passed by a thru hiker. He had been nude, but when he saw a group of slow movin girls up ahead, he slipped on a pair of running shorts. I didn't take issue, and he couldve stayed nude for all I care. I'd try it, but boobs are annoying enough with a bra.:p

Hikes in Rain
06-10-2011, 12:35
I never find them annoying. Never.

Spider
06-10-2011, 12:52
I would simply tuck a pair of shorts in a one of my pack's side pockets and if I saw someone approaching I would pull the shorts out and tuck them into my hip belt so my netherregions were covered. kinda like a loincloth.

This gave me the idea of putting some fabric behind your pack to cover up those regions, and putting some fabric hanging down in the front sewn onto the straps. That way you create a sort of kilt but it is attached to your pack rather than your body.

Hobbler
06-10-2011, 13:25
"Behind" the fabric all of us are nude!

Carbo
06-10-2011, 13:43
I imagine a general lack of support makes this unpopular.

Sasqwatch
06-10-2011, 14:11
I still find nude hiking to be the most comfortable way to hike! It's much cooler, more relaxing, and a more sensory experience, in my opinion. However, I do not try to force my free notions on others, so I indulge only at times on trails that there is a very low chance of happening upon someone else. The rest of the time it's shirtless and a Hiker Kilt from www.sportkilt.com (http://www.sportkilt.com)

Monkeywrench
06-11-2011, 12:07
I'd try it, but boobs are annoying enough with a bra.:p

Interesting. I don't recall ever thinking boobs are annoying. I have, at times, found bras a bit frustrating, but I wouldn't say annoying.

OptimisticChris
06-11-2011, 16:09
Done this many times. I love it!

Hiked the AT in '92. Hooked up with a group of other hikers for the last 4-5 weeks of the hike. We called ourselves the Katahdin Express. We were Smokey (he smoked), Tweety (his wife, who like to bath each night after hiking like Tweetie Bird), KeKaahawe (I think means traveler in Hawian), Little Debbie (don't remember why), Cornish Pastie (my friend who joined us for the 100 mile Wilderness and myself.
On our second to last day... before Baxter State Park, we all hiked about 12 miles naked. I want to say it was along Nesowadnehunk Stream but not really sure.
Cornish Pastie was in front... I was following a few yards behind him. Due to the nature of the trail, I was carefully watching CP's feet and the trail. Suddenly he stopped and I heard him say, "Hi". Nearly banging into him, I realized that he too had been looking at the trail and not farther out in front to watch for oncoming hikers. There was another hiker - heading south - leaning against the tree. We all said "hi" as we casually hiked naked on by. Way too funny at the time!
As a group we got naked a lot. We even took a naked photo on top of Katahdin as part of our celebration for completing the trail.
Those were the days!
Get naked folks... it's a blast!

Optimistic Chris
GA-ME '92

Rain Man
06-11-2011, 19:36

Fact. Just finished "Walking with Pacence" by Jarrett Krentzel. Here's a pic from page 98 below, in the Shenandoah National Park on the summer solstice. Looks as if they had bandannas prudently handy if needed. Some might say they weren't even really nude?

Many AT hiking books tell of some form of nudity/nudism on the AT. No big deal for the most part, except more recently and perhaps for supercilious souls?

Rain:sunMan

Beachcomber
06-11-2011, 20:20

Three miles on the beach. This afternoon. Have done as much as a 10-mile round-trip when time permits.