PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag pee bladder

chrishowe11
03-06-2009, 16:05
now we all know that having to get out of your sleeping bag and going out to pee in the middle of a freezing night is a horrible thing. A idea I had out hiking around was creating some sort of pee bladder inside your sleeping bag. Pee bottles work ok, but are pretty grose and I have heard real horror stories about pee bottles. So I thought if you where able to create some sort of liquid tight insertion area that was linked to a tube that then went down to a bladder down at the feet of your bag, this in turn will help with warmth at your feet. I was just looking for some brainstorming ideas of how this could work. Or if you have seen anything like it please share. This is just one of the funny idea's that bounce around in my head when i'm on trail, I also thought about dehydrated alcohol packets.

spill your brains and knowledge into this thread

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 16:08
Ummmm . . . I don't even know where to start with this one. This is a wise assers moist dream. . . .

hoz
03-06-2009, 16:09
What you're looking for is called a "Condom Catheter".

http://whenyougottago.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=pee&Category_Code=ca

Popular in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

Le Bon Temps Rollez

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 16:09
OK. . . I've taken a few breaths. . . . ummm. . .. if'n needed, get your lazy ass up and go take care of business . . . OR . . . .

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 16:10
. . . Be sure to rinse your drink bottle VERY thoroughly in the morning. . . .

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 16:11
. . . OR . . . just go man . . .

Wise Old Owl
03-06-2009, 16:12
I cant touch this...

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 16:12
. . . OR . . . . ummmm . . . if'n peein in the night is a conundrum for you. . . the other aspects of hiking will do you in. . .

chrishowe11
03-06-2009, 16:15
haha i get out of my bag as soon as i realize i have to pee youll be warmer and more comfortable and youll go right back to sleep. just wondering if people had similar idea's.

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 16:16
I cant touch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIB4GB8Olss

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 16:17
haha i get out of my bag as soon as i realize i have to pee youll be warmer and more comfortable and youll go right back to sleep. just wondering if people had similar idea's.

It's also unpopular to pee through the cracks of shelters that have over/under sleeping facilities. . . don't ask why I know this. . .

JAK
03-06-2009, 16:19
When I used to tent in winter I would use a bag sometimes for poop or pee. Now I bivy and tarp it and don't mind getting up to pee. Rarely have to poo at night. Not sure why. Good question.

When it is really cold I am wearing wool clothing to bed, which makes getting up easier. When it is raining, even at 30F, that is warm enough that I would be wearing very little, so I just dash, and dry myself off when I get back under the tarp before I crawl back in. I generally enjoy getting up in the middle of the night to see what the night is like and so I don't mind drinking as much water and soup and tea at night before I go to bed.

In crazy survival conditions, like -20F, if I have to get up to pee I likely have to get up to warm up again also. So I would make a big deal of it. Get up, get fully dressed if not already, pee, then run around some to get my skin and clothing warmed up again, and probably reheat my hot water bottles and maybe have another hot meal or at least a hot drink, then crawl back in for the second half of my nights sleep.

Pokey2006
03-06-2009, 16:23
I learned this week that girls can pee without getting out of their sleeping bags, too. It involved a cup and a lot of maneuvering, but it sure beat getting out of that warm bag and into temps in the single digits.

Now, if a girl can do it, you guys should be able to figure it out without any special "tricks" or "tips."

JAK
03-06-2009, 16:37
I admit I tried it once, but I ended up dripping all over the place.
I need to go well away from my bivy and do the full helicopter when I'm done.

hoz
03-06-2009, 16:39
Here's another

Stadium Pal

http://www.biorelief.com/travel-urinals/stadiumpal.html

Funkmeister
03-06-2009, 16:43
Condom catheters are used by divers wearing dry suits on extended dives. They are available a variety of places. They are sized small, medium, and large. The contraption has a check valve so if there is, uh, disconnection between the unit and yours, leakage is minimal.

Since dry suit divers wear fleece clothing for insulation under their suits, the catheter (and the bag, which is hung on one's calf, like a knife scabbard) is indispensable on long or deep cold dives that may require long decompression times.

Down south they may be hard to find, as warmer waters usually require only wet suits, and, while a bit gross at first, relief is just a whizz away in your wetsuit.

There's an old saying: 'There are two types of divers. Those that pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie and say they don't.'

But to return to the point: Why don’t you just get out of your bag and go outside? It’s not that hard.

I managed to resist all smart-remark urges.

BR360
03-06-2009, 16:44
Dude, just mark your pee bottle with red tape. Or get up and go, in the appropriate places.

For practical matters, if you did have a bag of pee at your feet, it would start cooling off immediately. Your feet might be warm for a half an hour, but then you'd be using the heat in your feet to keep it warm. This would cool them.

One of the reasons to go to pee when you need to when it is cold is to avoid having to use your body heat to warm useless waste products.

In addition, if it is freezing, it might be better to have your boots in the bottom of your bag (inside a plastic bag.)

mister krabs
03-06-2009, 16:49
When I used to tent in winter I would use a bag sometimes for poop or pee. Now I bivy and tarp it and don't mind getting up to pee. Rarely have to poo at night. Not sure why. Good question.

because sleep causes your brain to release a chemical that makes you not have to poop.

JAK
03-06-2009, 16:51
because sleep causes your brain to release a chemical that makes you not have to poop.Thanks for that.
I thought it might have to do with motion, but that makes sense. Good to know.

GMTMinusFive
03-06-2009, 17:49
Stalker astronaut diaper.

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 18:08
Stalker astronaut diaper.
Greatest headline I ever saw - brought to you by a rag no less, the Boston Herald . . . 'Dark Side of the Loon' . . .

skinewmexico
03-06-2009, 19:15
A pee bottle is gross, but something built in to your sleeping bag is not? That is logic I don't understand.

Montana AT05
03-06-2009, 19:34
"Stalker astronaut diaper."

HAHAH I reeled back in my chair and laughed out loud at that.

Billygoatbritt
03-06-2009, 20:28
Just get up and GO!

Camping Dave
03-07-2009, 06:48
Get a sleeping bag with a waterproof bag, turn it inside out, pee, and let it drain out the zipper.

Tipi Walter
03-07-2009, 08:49
Condom catheters are used by divers wearing dry suits on extended dives. They are available a variety of places. They are sized small, medium, and large. The contraption has a check valve so if there is, uh, disconnection between the unit and yours, leakage is minimal.

Since dry suit divers wear fleece clothing for insulation under their suits, the catheter (and the bag, which is hung on one's calf, like a knife scabbard) is indispensable on long or deep cold dives that may require long decompression times.

Down south they may be hard to find, as warmer waters usually require only wet suits, and, while a bit gross at first, relief is just a whizz away in your wetsuit.

There's an old saying: 'There are two types of divers. Those that pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie and say they don't.'

I've heard that Navy SEALS actually pee and defecate into their wetsuits on long water missions. When they reach the end and de-suit, well, someone has to hose them down.

Get a sleeping bag with a waterproof bag, turn it inside out, pee, and let it drain out the zipper.

Backpacking legend Dr. Colon Flaccid recommends using sleeping bags like wetsuits and he solved the soiled bag problem by advising backpackers to carry daily sleeping bags as a sort of goose down diaper to be discarded in the woods after each "ensoilment". To this day, thousands of fecal-encrusted bags can be found in our national forests and wilderness areas as a testament to Flaccid's influence.

He also recommends using the cooking pot as a urine bottle but instead of emptying it, letting it fill and in the morning using the liquird as a cooking base for oatmeal. For years it was easy to identify the Flaccid foot-followers and backpackers by their yellow-green complexions and by the unusual stank that surrounded their basecamps. When Flaccid received the Hiker's Medal in 1919, it was in part due to his using pee as oat water.

He also recieved the medal for his clever development of using his HungWell backpack as a collector of urine when walking. He devoted a lid pocket to hold a rubber bladder attached to a hyrdration type port tube that ran to a hiker's crotch and became a urine-extraction catheter. Using Flaccid's method, backpackers could insert the catheter at the beginning of a trip and never have to actually pee again.

It's not uncommon today to see backpackers with a front crotch tube running up behind into their HungWell packs. Flaccid even developed a larger tube with solar powered suction devices to induce bowel spasms and collect fecal matter into a port side pocket of his own design. It was easy to notice expert backpackers in the Flaccid style, they all had both front and back tubes and never had to stop.

THE BLIZZARD OF 1958
Flaccid's Effluent System wasn't perfect, and during the Blizzard of '58 over one hundred backpackers died when their catheter and shunt tubes froze solid, causing a fatal plugging of the system with distention and terminal fecal impaction. In the following year, Flaccid added blowback meters, crotch-level ventilators and probe extractors with vacuum claws but the damage had already been done.

Camping Dave
03-07-2009, 09:51
Never realized I was following in the footsteps of genius!

Tipi Walter
03-07-2009, 12:15
Never realized I was following in the footsteps of genius!

You probably just hooked into the morphic resonancy field put out by Dr. Flaccid. When mice are run thru a maze, the next group does it a little faster because of the knowledge the first group gained, imparting it somehow to the second group. Colon Flaccid's morphic resonancy field is massive and hard to escape. Some backpackers say it's the largest they've ever seen or felt.

superman
03-07-2009, 14:35
you Probably Just Hooked Into The Morphic Resonancy Field Put Out By Dr. Flaccid. When Mice Are Run Thru A Maze, The Next Group Does It A Little Faster Because Of The Knowledge The First Group Gained, Imparting It Somehow To The Second Group. Colon Flaccid's Morphic Resonancy Field Is Massive And Hard To Escape. Some Backpackers Say It's The Largest They've Ever Seen Or Felt.

Lmao

Wise Old Owl
03-07-2009, 21:42
Here's another

Stadium Pal

http://www.biorelief.com/travel-urinals/stadiumpal.html

I feel sorry for the guy sitting next to this guy because he forgot to close the t tap an pissed his shoe.....:-?

I cannot begin to take this thread seriously,

And Warg thanks for the MC Hammer video...

warraghiyagey
03-07-2009, 21:43
I cannot begin to take this thread seriously,

And Warg thanks for the MC Hammer video...
Yupperdoodle:)

Wise Old Owl
03-07-2009, 21:47
I've heard that Navy SEALS actually pee and defecate into their wetsuits on long water missions. When they reach the end and de-suit, well, someone has to hose them down.

Backpacking legend Dr. Colon Flaccid recommends using sleeping bags like wetsuits and he solved the soiled bag problem by advising backpackers to carry daily sleeping bags as a sort of goose down diaper to be discarded in the woods after each "ensoilment". To this day, thousands of fecal-encrusted bags can be found in our national forests and wilderness areas as a testament to Flaccid's influence.

He also recommends using the cooking pot as a urine bottle but instead of emptying it, letting it fill and in the morning using the liquird as a cooking base for oatmeal. For years it was easy to identify the Flaccid foot-followers and backpackers by their yellow-green complexions and by the unusual stank that surrounded their basecamps. When Flaccid received the Hiker's Medal in 1919, it was in part due to his using pee as oat water.

He also recieved the medal for his clever development of using his HungWell backpack as a collector of urine when walking. He devoted a lid pocket to hold a rubber bladder attached to a hyrdration type port tube that ran to a hiker's crotch and became a urine-extraction catheter. Using Flaccid's method, backpackers could insert the catheter at the beginning of a trip and never have to actually pee again.

It's not uncommon today to see backpackers with a front crotch tube running up behind into their HungWell packs. Flaccid even developed a larger tube with solar powered suction devices to induce bowel spasms and collect fecal matter into a port side pocket of his own design. It was easy to notice expert backpackers in the Flaccid style, they all had both front and back tubes and never had to stop.

THE BLIZZARD OF 1958
Flaccid's Effluent System wasn't perfect, and during the Blizzard of '58 over one hundred backpackers died when their catheter and shunt tubes froze solid, causing a fatal plugging of the system with distention and terminal fecal impaction. In the following year, Flaccid added blowback meters, crotch-level ventilators and probe extractors with vacuum claws but the damage had already been done.

you know I have seen abandoned sleep bags along the AT and now my thoughts on the subject are thoughly damaged - I am reporting this post, I am reporting this post,
I am reporting this post, awe hell I'm not.:eek:

4eyedbuzzard
03-07-2009, 21:54
You could depend (http://www.depend.com/) on these

Rockhound
03-07-2009, 23:36
This is a gear head's wet dream. Pun intended. The only types of places this would ever be necessary would be the Himalayas or Antarctica etc...and I feel it would be much more of a inconvenience having to maintain such a useless piece of gear than it would be to get up to piss at night. It is simply extra weight. You want to keep your feet warm? Wear socks.

Wheeler
03-07-2009, 23:44
my fav. thread to date

sticks&stones
03-07-2009, 23:46
now we all know that having to get out of your sleeping bag and going out to pee in the middle of a freezing night is a horrible thing. A idea I had out hiking around was creating some sort of pee bladder inside your sleeping bag. Pee bottles work ok, but are pretty grose and I have heard real horror stories about pee bottles. So I thought if you where able to create some sort of liquid tight insertion area that was linked to a tube that then went down to a bladder down at the feet of your bag, this in turn will help with warmth at your feet. I was just looking for some brainstorming ideas of how this could work. Or if you have seen anything like it please share. This is just one of the funny idea's that bounce around in my head when i'm on trail, I also thought about dehydrated alcohol packets.

spill your brains and knowledge into this thread

I hiked with a guy who'ld wash his piss bottle out and use it as a drinking bottle. It's not really a big deal. If one thinks a pee bottle is grose well I imagine they'd consider a bladder full of piss in their sleepingbag, pressed up against their feet, grose as well.

Rockhound
03-08-2009, 00:09
I did not say it's grose or even gross. I would just hate the idea of it leaking. My piss might wind up smelling as bad as my feet.

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2009, 01:44
Ziplock got her trailname, if I remember this story right, by using a ziplock baggie while inside her tent in a rainstorm, that of course then leaked (no pun intended) all over her gear. The real mistake was her telling her friends...

hikingshoes
03-08-2009, 02:00
lol,i cant pee laying down,lol

ColdFire
03-08-2009, 21:42
lol this thread is halarious!! just what I needed after a long day of hiking!! :banana Esp the astronaut stalker diaper comment! ROFLPIMSB

Pokey2006
03-08-2009, 21:46
my fav. thread to date

Oh, honey, stick around a while. This is only the beginning...

Hooch
03-08-2009, 21:48
Be a man, get up and go! I know the idea sounds crazy, but if you don't want to get cold, then maybe backpacking isn't for you.

catfishrivers
03-08-2009, 22:12
If you are carrying a garbage bag, a penny, and a cup, you could make a solar still and turn your pee into drinkin' water. If you have a hose system venting your peener or peena all night out into the still, you'll have a nice, pure and distilled cup of water to start your day. Goes great with folgers.

Desert Reprobate
03-08-2009, 23:16
You'd be using it at night so it would have to be a lunar still

Dkeener
03-09-2009, 21:45
Round nalgene for drinking. Square for other things. Helps to keep them seperate in the dark. Make sure the square one is a wide mouth. (No erotic pun intended.)

brooklynkayak
03-17-2009, 18:24
I have to admit that when it is cold and wet out, being able to stay in the tent is a plus. I wouldn't even attempt to stay in my sleeping bag though.

A common method:
1/2 gallon milk carton with the top split and a bit of duct tape to seal the top after use. It folds flat and weighs less than a nalgene bottle. Even the ladies can use this.

Grinder
03-18-2009, 04:42
regards the condom catheter,
I ride motorcycles. Some long distance riders use them to eliminate stops.
they run the hose out the bottom of their pant leg.

My only pertinent advice:

Don't ride behind them.

ASUGrad
03-18-2009, 09:39
I use a Gatorade bottle. It's worth its weight in gold.