PDA

View Full Version : Stakes on a Plane

frisbeefreek
03-06-2009, 16:41
Sorry for the bad pun...

I mailed my knife & hiking poles, but just realized I forgot to mail my tent stakes (9 x 7" aluminum shepard) and shockcorded aluminum poles. I'm flying out Sunday to Atlanta.

I'd prefer to avoid checking my backpack and paying the $15 luggage fee (plus run the risk of losing my bag).

I viewed the TSA website - Closest comparison I can find is <7" screwdriver (permitted) and knitting needles (permitted), but knowing our low paid TSA screeners, I don't trust their judgment.

Anyone have first-hand experience bypassing or getting harassed at the X-ray machines for carrying tent stakes and poles? Previous WB threads were hit & miss.

--FF

JAK
03-06-2009, 16:46
Great pun, but you can't use titles like that in straightforward threads. ;)

Sounds like a great new vampire movie. :D

I would say you definitely need to check tent stakes.
Best option would be to mail them ahead and improvise until you get them.

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 17:10
Just check your pack or buy a set before you get on the trail. . .
aaaaaand, you can use whatever title you want in the Straight Forward forum.;)

garlic08
03-06-2009, 17:22
I got mine through TSA last year in carry-on. Try to find an agent to talk to before putting it in the machine, let them know what's coming.

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 17:24
I got mine through TSA last year in carry-on. Try to find an agent to talk to before putting it in the machine, let them know what's coming.
Excellent advice. . . :sun

Kirby
03-06-2009, 18:42
TSA is less likely to be hostile if you explain whats going on, as they are trained to look at everyone with suspicion.

Kirby

Jim Adams
03-06-2009, 23:12
Are you getting a shuttle from the airport to the trail?...Just overnight them to the shuttle persons address.

geek

Erin
03-07-2009, 01:30
Just tell them your tent stakes are knitting needles. I swear, knitting needles seem to always pass.

theinfamousj
03-08-2009, 21:53
Just tell them your tent stakes are knitting needles. I swear, knitting needles seem to always pass.

You know, if you had to take a zero on the trail, learning how to knit by using your tent stakes and bear bag rope wouldn't be half bad.

My advice would be to start some knitting on the tent stakes to add legitimacy to the fact that they are, in fact, knitting needles. Then you'll have something to do during layovers.

Of course, I'm a knitter and have used my tent stakes for such a purpose, before.

frisbeefreek
03-09-2009, 08:14
I got through security with my stakes. The TSA was actually more interested in my titanium pot and cat stove - They ran it through 2x (really - A pot needs to be run through after visual inspection?).

My advice - Mail the stakes along with your poles and knife if you don't plan on checking luggage. I believe it's hit or miss.