PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Contrail (or other non-freestanding tents)

wcgornto
03-06-2009, 18:37
I understand that there are some locations on the AT that require the use of tent platforms rather than the ground ... I believe in the Whites, perhaps other places.

In these locations, how do people with Tarptents use their tents? extra, long sections of guylines / cord?

wrongway_08
03-06-2009, 18:39
Just the stakes itbetween the boards on the platform.

Worked fine for me.

High Life
03-06-2009, 18:55
Just the stakes itbetween the boards on the platform.

Worked fine for me.

i did that with my hubba , there are places to camp through most if not all of the whites .. some take some looking down a tiny lil path .. others are designated camping areas ( ie near the peabody river , just a couple miles south of pinkham notch . dont let people tell you that you have to stay at the huts it's not true .

wrongway_08
03-06-2009, 20:43
Opps, shouldve said:
Just jam the stakes in between the boards on the platform. ..... dont know how I screwed it up so badly above...... not even drunk----- all the the way------ yet.

Powder River
03-09-2009, 15:23
It seemed that every wood tent platform I saw was 8 feet by 8 feet square. The Contrail pitches to 10 feet long, not counting the extra space needed for the stakes and guylines. I never did figure out a way to put the contrail up on a tent platform, even the time when the trail maintainer who built the platform was there with a hammer and nails, offering to put nails in wherever I needed them. The best I could devise was to use my bear line to rig to nearby trees (about 10 feet away) to stake out the front vestibule. Instead, I slept in the shelter.

LIhikers
03-12-2009, 22:20
Some of the tent platorms have metal hooks or loops screwed into the sides so that you can tie guy lines to them.

hopefulhiker
03-12-2009, 22:57
I pitched the Squall up several times on platforms. Just use some extra line to guy out the front all the way to the ground.. Wedge in the stakes between the boards.. Crawl in the tent by climbing up onto platform, beaks are set out over the ground....