PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for a Long Trail hike?

Kirby
03-06-2009, 19:53
Not really sure what one needs for a LT section. I might hike Rutland to the border this summer if I decide against another foray into the 100 mile wilderness, although I'd like to climb Katahdin once more before I leave for college.

Deadeye
03-06-2009, 20:08
Not sure how much detail you're after, but you won't often see temps below 40* in VT in July/August. Can get some frosty nights in September, but those are usually the calm, clear nights with perfect sunny days.:sun

Rutland to Canada is about 2 weeks, and a beautiful, varied trail. Bring your own shelter, even if you like to use the shelters - the more popular ones are often full. OTOH, you can spend a lot of weekday nights alone, particulary north of Stowe.

wakapak
03-06-2009, 20:10
my guess is that you won't need anything that different than you needed on the AT. Just get yourself an LT guidebook so you know where to re-supply and the distances between places, and water sources and such.

dloome
03-06-2009, 20:12
Not sure if you're referring to gear, or what, but...

The Northern section is quite markedly more rugged than the section contiguous with the AT- I would definitely plan for more time between resupplies than you would on the Southern end.

As far as gear, I would think more along the lines of if you were hiking in the Whites. It's not nearly as harsh, but areas like Camels Hump, Mansfield, Jay Peak and several areas in between can be cold and exposed. I can recall a few surprisingly chilly nights on the Northern end of the LT.

You need the Long Trail map published by The Wilderness Map Company and the End to Enders Guide by the GMC. The store in Jay sells both, but is often out. There is a bookstore in... Newport, VT I think (?) that also sells both, if you haven't gotten them before you head out. I got the full guidebook before I first hiked it in 2006 and didn't end up carrying it. The thing is massively heavy.

Anyway, hope you can use some of that and good luck. Watch out for moose.

Kirby
03-06-2009, 20:18
Has the 2009 end to enders guide been published?

Guess I'll buy that map.

Kirby
03-06-2009, 20:53
Should I buy the end to end guide or the annual long trail guide? I just need info about towns and shelters and stuff like that.

Low Impact
03-06-2009, 21:57
Yo Kirby -

I End-2-Ended the LT in 07. I have to disagree with DEADEYE - I saw 35 degree temps south of Mansfield on my hike in August. Cold temps are certainly possible - especially above 4,000 ft. I'm sure you know this.

I would grab BOTH the Long Trail Guide, and the End-2-Enders Guide. LTG will give you trail/shelter descriptions and the E2E will give you town/lodging info. You don't need an actual MAP on the LT more than you would have on the AT. It's more personal preference.

Again, I have to disagree with DEADEYE. Even in the dog-days of Summer, north of the Maine junction - I camped pretty much alone at a shelter every night. Space WAS NOT a problem. Nothing like the AT in March or April.

Rutland to Canada is an awesome section. North of Brandon Gap - the trail slowly starts to get rugged. Think the Whites in terms of difficulty and weather. Allow time. It's gorgeous. Enjoy it.

Also - if you really want some SERIOUS info - attend the GMC's annual Long Trail E2E Workshop on May 21st. I'll be there as a panelist. It's a great little opportunity to learn more about the trail and what to expect.

Either way - you're going to have a stellar time. If I had to choose between N. Vermont or the 100 Mile, **** - I'd be hard pressed. Both are beautiful, rugged, and remote.

DuctTape
03-06-2009, 22:43
Should I buy the end to end guide or the annual long trail guide? I just need info about towns and shelters and stuff like that.

Just the end-to-end guide and a map are great... and AT gear as well, it's more or less just like the AT.

vonfrick
03-07-2009, 12:22
when you going kirby? me and warrghy are going to start in dalton around june 23rd and head up through vt. i did the lt in 07, but he's never been on the rutland to canada section. after that we're gonna be running shaws for a week for dawn then sh'es dropping us at baxter and we're walking back to monson. maybe this time we'll get to stop and say hello!

vonfrick
03-07-2009, 12:23
oh and i have to agree, vt is friggin cold.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2009, 13:11
Except for Camels Hump and Mansfield, the north half of the LT is pretty quiet. In the high use areas, the GMC wants you to stay in shelters unless they are full, and then you have to go off to where there are tent platforms. I'm not sure I'd bother with a tent, but since you never know, it would be worth having something.

The only thing I've used for my many trips to the LT is the GMC guide book of the Long Trail.

The section from RT4 to RT2 is reasonably easy,(and where you'd be most likely to run into boy scout or outward bound groups and the like) but doing 10 miles a day north of Mansfield is a full days workout and there will not be many others around.

I'm thinking of doing the LT again this fall in September.

Kirby
03-07-2009, 17:15
I'm gonna start August 1st from Rutland, hopefully finishing in time to get back down to Rutland for the long trail festival.

I might hit the 100 mile wilderness after, sorta depends when classes start at American in the fall.

Vonfrick:
If you two are ever in Portland, and I'm not hiking or on my way to school, get in touch.

Kirby
03-07-2009, 17:44
It the end-to-end guide published every year?

BackTrack1
03-07-2009, 20:36
I think it was last updated in 2007.

Kirby
03-07-2009, 20:37
Just picked up a Long Trail map, my local EMS did not have the end to end guide, guess I'll buy it online. Planning this trip had ought to cure the serious case of Springer Fever I have.

Kirby
03-07-2009, 20:37
I think it was last updated in 2007.

OK, just don't want to buy an older one if a new one is coming out.

BackTrack1
03-07-2009, 20:46
I think you can only get them online through the GMC,
have a good hike, the northern section is very cool.

Kirby
03-07-2009, 21:08
It's interesting that you have to submit a journal when you apply for the end-to-ender patch.

Jeff
03-08-2009, 08:11
[QUOTE=Kirby;796710]I'm gonna start August 1st from Rutland, hopefully finishing in time to get back down to Rutland for the long trail festival.

The festival website says this years event is August 8th. Better reconsider your start date.:)

http://www.nvnohi.com/ltf/info/info.html

BackTrack1
03-08-2009, 09:27
It's interesting that you have to submit a journal when you apply for the end-to-ender patch.

yea, its kinda weird, but ive hiked a couple trails like that, i guess its so they can keep a semi accurate count of how many people actually hike the trail E2E, you dont really have to give them a complete journal, just a breif description of your trip so they know you were really there, thats all i did .
good luck and have a good hike !

DuctTape
03-08-2009, 15:30

Just contact the GMC and ask if a new one is coming out soon, before you buy. They're an outstanding trail club.

Kirby
03-08-2009, 21:16
Bob McCaw, the editor of the guide and admin over at trailplace dot com says there will be a 2009 edition. He said its going to printers in about a week and usually takes 4-6 weeks for it to hit shelves. I imagine there will be something about it on the GMC website in the run up to it being available.

Peanut
03-09-2009, 06:53
I End-2-Ended the LT in 07. I have to disagree with DEADEYE - I saw 35 degree temps south of Mansfield on my hike in August. Cold temps are certainly possible - especially above 4,000 ft. I'm sure you know this.

I would grab BOTH the Long Trail Guide, and the End-2-Enders Guide. LTG will give you trail/shelter descriptions and the E2E will give you town/lodging info. You don't need an actual MAP on the LT more than you would have on the AT. It's more personal preference.

Again, I have to disagree with DEADEYE. Even in the dog-days of Summer, north of the Maine junction - I camped pretty much alone at a shelter every night. Space WAS NOT a problem. Nothing like the AT in March or April.

Rutland to Canada is an awesome section. North of Brandon Gap - the trail slowly starts to get rugged. Think the Whites in terms of difficulty and weather. Allow time. It's gorgeous. Enjoy it.

Either way - you're going to have a stellar time. If I had to choose between N. Vermont or the 100 Mile, **** - I'd be hard pressed. Both are beautiful, rugged, and remote.

Hey Kirby! I agree with Low Impact on all above accounts. I did the LT in '06 and had a few shivery nights (I get cold easily though). I only hit space issues while on the AT part, and then one night when it was pouring rain and a camp group got flooded out of their tarps. Have a great time...and maybe I'll see you out there!

Yukon
03-09-2009, 07:51
I knew you'd be back to Vermont, even though you didn't enjoy it on your thru. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with it this time Kirby. I'll be sectioning it all summer long hoping to finish it by the fall, maybe see you out there. Good luck! :)

Rough
03-17-2009, 19:48
I have started a non-commercial web site containing podcasts about the Long Trail and the programs are presented for informational purposes only. Over time I plan to add content as time and opportunity permits. Suggestions are welcome.

The following 18-minute podcast (recorded in 2008) addresses many of the common questions about thru hiking the trail and hopefully it will be helpful:

www.longtrailpodcast.com (http://www.longtrailpodcast.com)

longtrailpodcast_005 Planning a Summer Thru Hike.mp3
"Planning a Summer (early June to mid-October) Thru Hike of the Long Trail: Covers topics such as when to go, what direction to hike, equipment, staying in shelters or camping out, hikng with your dog, and more."

RollingStone
03-18-2009, 02:47
In addition to the printed E to E guide, there is a new site going up here... www.longtrailhiking.info that is being done in conjunction with the Green Mountain Club.

At the moment, it is 85% finished with the first 60 miles or so of the online E to E guide published. Hope to have it all done shortly. I have been hampered with computer issues last 5-6 days.

The site is still "beta" but I am publishing the URL for anyone who wants to check it out while I am still working on it.

Besides a comprehensive E to E guide there are also social networking features that I hope people will take advantage of. That part of the site is called the "Hikers Network". You can post profiles, start groups, post your photos and videos, blog, trail journal, etc.

Each part of the E to E guide that goes online will be printable.

Good luck.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2009, 08:51
Kirby, I'm pleased that you've apparently changed your mind about VT after your less-than-positive experience there last year on your thruhike. Northern Vermont is awesome; I think you'll enjoy.

I know there are many shelter naysayers but if you have a chance, spend a night at Butler Lodge on the west slope of Mansfield. The sunset views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks are fabulous.

By starting August 1, I don't think the bugs will be as bad as mid-summer but I suppose it depends on the year.

jlore
03-23-2009, 21:01
i'm planning starting nobo on july 1st. i've never been to vt. will i need a fleece jacket; how cold does it get in july, and how are the bugs at this time?

Quoddy
03-24-2009, 09:12
i'm planning starting nobo on july 1st. i've never been to vt. will i need a fleece jacket; how cold does it get in july, and how are the bugs at this time?

In the late evening at the higher elevations of the northern portion it tends to get chilly once your activity level is low. I used only a short sleeved shirt and a wind shirt on the entire hike in August and it was borderline a couple of times. Once on the trail and moving that was plenty. Throwing on a rain jacket will normally be enough, but a light fleece woul be helpful if your comfort level is on the warm side. Early in July there will still be some bugs, but toward the end of your hike they should be minimal. It looks like my plans may change to heading NOBO at the very end of June this year, so I may see you on the trail.

erichkopp
03-30-2009, 20:37
Should I experience any problems if taking a fleece, 35* bag, and some light polypro top/bottom long underwear mid-June?

SunnyWalker
03-30-2009, 21:44
Bivy bag.

jlore
04-07-2009, 13:12
i'm planning a end to end starting july 1st. i'm wondering if the bugs will still be bad enough for me to pack my tent. i was planning on staying in shelters, but bring in my tarp too, just in case a shelter is full. any suggestions?

Quoddy
04-07-2009, 13:42
i'm planning a end to end starting july 1st. i'm wondering if the bugs will still be bad enough for me to pack my tent. i was planning on staying in shelters, but bring in my tarp too, just in case a shelter is full. any suggestions?
I'm planning on starting just one day before you and expect several bug types to still be active, at least through the first two weeks in July. I'm carrying a bivy w/mesh and a tarp.

Kirby
04-07-2009, 14:56
No matter what, you should ALWAYS have an alternate shelter with you, as relying on there being room in a shelter is irresponsible.

I say that with respect.

Kirby
04-07-2009, 16:26
Just talked with the folks at the GMC, the 2009 E2E guide is now available for purchase.

jlore
04-08-2009, 17:04
I'm planning on starting just one day before you and expect several bug types to still be active, at least through the first two weeks in July. I'm carrying a bivy w/mesh and a tarp.

quoddy: my plans have changed, i will be in williamstown on the 30th as well. i'm taking the bus from camden nj, and it will be in town at 2pm. maybe i'll see ya.

Landshark
04-13-2009, 14:15
I am considering doing a long section of the LT in July as well. For gear, depending on this summer's forecast I recommend extra water container(s). Summer of 2007 was very dry and water was scarce. Last summer this was not a problem. :mad:

There ARE bugs on the trail esp blackflies, through late august in some areas in my experience!

Yukon
05-09-2009, 18:04
Looks like I might be doing a E2E possibly now, starting around the last week of July most likely, just waiting on the approval for time off from the big boss...got my fingers crossed!!

jlore
05-09-2009, 21:03
i'll be starting my e2e on july 13ish

Tinker
05-09-2009, 23:29
Not really sure what one needs for a LT section. I might hike Rutland to the border this summer if I decide against another foray into the 100 mile wilderness, although I'd like to climb Katahdin once more before I leave for college.

Same gear you'd use anywhere else in the Northeast, including the Hundred Mile Wilderness, just less food.