PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Damascus

Togorashi
03-07-2009, 04:30
Howdy.

I've really enjoyed lurking on this site for a while, but this is my first post.

My plan is to hike about 1/3 of the AT this summer. My window is late May to late July. I want to start in Damascus and end in Massachusetts. I have a friend in MA so getting a ride at the end is no problem. However, I'm not sure how to get to Damascus. It looks like the closest airport is Winston-Salem. That would be quite a ways I'm thinking. I could drive, but then I still have to get back to my car some way.

Is there a good way to get to Damascus? Is there a better place to start that is close to an airport?

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2009, 05:53
Tri-Cities airport is 45 miles from Damascus

Slo-go'en
03-07-2009, 12:41
Marion, VA is the closest you can get to Damascus by Grayhound bus. I plan to go to Marion by bus, then hike south to Damascus on the Iron Mt trail which is a short cut to Damascus then hike back north on the AT and get off at Harpers Ferry. Doing it this way adds a few days to the trip, but easier than trying to get to Damascus directly.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2009, 13:47
Marion, VA is the closest you can get to Damascus by Grayhound bus.

or Bristol

Togorashi
03-08-2009, 03:44
Thanks for the advice.

I'll look into Marion and Bristol.

Ox97GaMe
03-08-2009, 11:31
Another option would be to start somewhere near Roanoake VA. There is a decent size airport there. The trail junction at Troutdale/Daleville is probably about 10 miles from the airport. Not a bad cab ride.

The down side to this is that you will starting about 150 miles north of your target, which might create issues with ending point in MA.

Is there a particular reason you want to start at Damascus? Have you completed the sections south of there, and dont want to leave gaps, or is it based on being approx 500 miles south of your end pont in MA?

Airports that are closer to Damascus than WS; Tri-Cities TN (Bristol area), Roanoke VA, Ashville NC, Knoxville TN

Skyline
03-08-2009, 12:18
Marion, VA is the closest you can get to Damascus by Grayhound bus. I plan to go to Marion by bus, then hike south to Damascus on the Iron Mt trail which is a short cut to Damascus then hike back north on the AT and get off at Harpers Ferry. Doing it this way adds a few days to the trip, but easier than trying to get to Damascus directly.

I like the Iron Mt. Trail into Damascus. At one time it was the AT route, I'm told.

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a hitch via VA16 from Marion to the Iron Mt. Trail. Marion also has taxi service, or at least it did last time I was there. I recall Diamond Cab and something to do with a bird (Cardinal? Red Bird?).

The trick will be: Does the driver know where the IMT intersects with VA16? It isn't all that well marked or well known in the area for that matter. So, another option might be to catch a ride (or maybe you'll need two rides if hitching) to the better-marked trailhead and AT crossing at Fox Creek on VA603. Then hike north on the white-blazed AT for a couple miles (+/-) to Chestnut Flats, then pick up the yellow-blazed IMT into Damascus.

Confused? If you have AT Map #1 in Virginia it will make better sense.

JJJ
03-08-2009, 13:29
I'd probably go to TRI(via propeller) or Bristol(via bus), and hitch (35 or 20M)to the AT-US421 crossing then its roughly 15 miles to Damascus.

Togorashi
03-10-2009, 23:53
Another option would be to start somewhere near Roanoake VA. There is a decent size airport there. The trail junction at Troutdale/Daleville is probably about 10 miles from the airport. Not a bad cab ride.

The down side to this is that you will starting about 150 miles north of your target, which might create issues with ending point in MA.

Is there a particular reason you want to start at Damascus? Have you completed the sections south of there, and dont want to leave gaps, or is it based on being approx 500 miles south of your end pont in MA?

Airports that are closer to Damascus than WS; Tri-Cities TN (Bristol area), Roanoke VA, Ashville NC, Knoxville TN

Thanks for the ideas.

Here is my reasoning:

I want to complete a thru-hike sectionally. I imagine that I can swing 1 or 2 month trips for the next few years. This year I can do a 2 month trip. Looking at the trail, I thought the mid-Atlantic would be a good introduction to the AT. It looks to be the mildest terrain and the best weather in summer. In contrast, the south is going to be really hot and starting in Maine would be more difficult terrain.

So, I'm not committed to Damascus for any particular reason. It seemed like a big trailhead and would put me in MA after about 2 months. I've got a friend there that I would like to visit at the end.

Right now, I think the Roanoke option looks good. That would make things a lot easier. I suppose I could just suck it up and start in Maine.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2009, 10:59
Thanks for the ideas.

So, I'm not committed to Damascus for any particular reason. It seemed like a big trailhead and would put me in MA after about 2 months. I've got a friend there that I would like to visit at the end.

Damascus to MA is about 1000 miles, depending on where in Mass you end. Factoring in days off, that would likely take closer to 3 months to do.

Starting in Roanoke would shave some miles and time off the trip, but you'd still have to hussle along to have any time left to visit with your friend at the end.

Togorashi
03-11-2009, 12:36
Damascus to MA is about 1000 miles, depending on where in Mass you end. Factoring in days off, that would likely take closer to 3 months to do.

Starting in Roanoke would shave some miles and time off the trip, but you'd still have to hussle along to have any time left to visit with your friend at the end.

I guess I'd better do my calculations again. I had it at around 750 miles. I figured I would average 15 mpd and take every 5th day off. The two month window isn't hard and fast. My schedule is flexible, but 3 months would be too long.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2009, 12:56
I guess I'd better do my calculations again. I had it at around 750 miles. I figured I would average 15 mpd and take every 5th day off. The two month window isn't hard and fast. My schedule is flexible, but 3 months would be too long.

Damascus to Salisbury, CT (a few miles south of the CT/MA line) is 1027 miles. Troutville, VA (outside Roanoke) to Salisbury is 769 miles. Since Roanoak is easier to get to than Damascus and fits your schedule better, that's where I would suggest you start.