PDA

View Full Version : CT or MA Weekend Hike (March 13-15)

Chenango
03-07-2009, 09:59
I was thinking about going out next weekend somewhere on the AT, maybe CT or MA. I hear there is still a lot of snow on the ground in VT (I was there 2 weeks ago snowshoeing). Someone at work just climbed Greylock and skied down last week so there is a bit of snow up there as well. So south of Greylock is the best bet.

I hike about 10-12 miles per day and am fine with just hooking up at the end of the day.

I was thinking of arriving on Friday evening (March 13th) after work and hiking in a mile or so to a lean-to (using headlamp if necessary). Hike all day Sat and maybe 1/2 day on Sunday. I live about 2.5 hrs from where the AT crosses the Mass Pike so anywhere in MA, CT, or even NY are fine.

It would be nice to be able to spot a car at each end so it does not have to be an in and out hike.

Anyone interested?

river1
03-07-2009, 13:09
Well if the weather stays good I'm looking to go north from the Mass Pike.. Send me a pm if you end up going that route..

horicon
03-07-2009, 13:35
Snow is melting but you may need crampones for the Ice.

Does any one know about the ice condictions<<

Quoddy
03-07-2009, 14:31
I'm about 30 miles in a direct line NNW of the AT crossing of the Turnpike (90). The snow and ice are melting really fast right now. Higher elevations are still mainly snow and patchy ice covered. There are still some snow and icy patches in valley shaded areas, but the main problem may be that low lying areas are very wet, and there's actually a flood watch out for the area's rivers right now.

If you begin at Rt 20/Turnpike 90 and head north there are two choices. Two easy days and finish at Dalton or two long days and reach Cheshire. Once North of Dalton there's no real access until Cheshire. I doubt that you'd have time to reach a shelter (October Mountain) heading northbound Friday evening.

Chenango
03-07-2009, 15:02
Snow is melting but you may need crampones for the Ice.

Does any one know about the ice condictions<<

I was in the CT/MA border area about this time last year. It was a bear coming down the North side of Bear Mtn (pun intended). I was wearing stabilicers and really neeed them. It is really warm now and should be all week. Still, I would expect some ice.

Chenango
03-07-2009, 15:04
I'm about 30 miles in a direct line NNW of the AT crossing of the Turnpike (90). The snow and ice are melting really fast right now. Higher elevations are still mainly snow and patchy ice covered. There are still some snow and icy patches in valley shaded areas, but the main problem may be that low lying areas are very wet, and there's actually a flood watch out for the area's rivers right now.

If you begin at Rt 20/Turnpike 90 and head north there are two choices. Two easy days and finish at Dalton or two long days and reach Cheshire. Once North of Dalton there's no real access until Cheshire. I doubt that you'd have time to reach a shelter (October Mountain) heading northbound Friday evening.

Thanks, Quoddy. I was just in that area last Novemner. Agreed. Not easy to reach a shelter starting northbound from Rt 20 with a night hike ... especially with ice and very wet conditions. I would not attempt it.

Cosmo
03-07-2009, 15:26
Trail North of Pike is still pretty hard to find in places. Lots of ice damage in the higher areas. Plan on extra time for route finding ('tho there are probably tracks in most places, they might be looking for the trail too). Snow is melting, but definitely not gone.

Cosmo

wystiria
03-11-2009, 14:56
in case you decide to change up your trip I have successfully hiked to the following shelters at night in allll sorts of conditions including snow lol.

Crystal Mnt. Campsite - its flat out of dalton.

Oct. Mnt. Shelter - if you go SOBO its a FLAT walk

Upper goose pond.

The Hemlocks (use the aproach trail that starts at the school - we have safely parked a car there for a weekend)

Tom Lenord - though you have to pay attention to the blazes and the rocks just prior to the shelter (I probably wouldn't do this in icy conditions)

Mt. Wilcox - but only SOBO

CT

Riga, via the approach trail over lions head.

there are a few others more south in CT.

I would come find you but we have plans this month and wont hit the trail till April!

Chenango
03-11-2009, 16:54
in case you decide to change up your trip I have successfully hiked to the following shelters at night in allll sorts of conditions including snow lol.

Crystal Mnt. Campsite - its flat out of dalton.

Oct. Mnt. Shelter - if you go SOBO its a FLAT walk

Upper goose pond.

The Hemlocks (use the aproach trail that starts at the school - we have safely parked a car there for a weekend)

Tom Lenord - though you have to pay attention to the blazes and the rocks just prior to the shelter (I probably wouldn't do this in icy conditions)

Mt. Wilcox - but only SOBO

CT

Riga, via the approach trail over lions head.

there are a few others more south in CT.

I would come find you but we have plans this month and wont hit the trail till April!

Thanks for the info, Wystiria. I will let you know how it works out.

wystiria
03-13-2009, 11:23
have fun!!

Cosmo
03-17-2009, 20:38
So...how did it go? You had some wicked nice weather for March.

Cosmo

river1
03-18-2009, 19:24
So...how did it go? You had some wicked nice weather for March.

Cosmo

Well, we hiked from Dalton to Rt 20 and Chenango has the official journal so I wait for his reply.. However we had a great time, the weather was really nice, it was a bit challenging as there were plenty of fallen trees hiding the trail and plenty of snow.. Looking forward to our next hike in April.. I posted a few pictures check them out.. River1

Chenango
03-18-2009, 20:00
Beautiful weather, lots of trees across the trail, and "where is the next blaze?” At times I was hiking in just my blue hiking shirt. It was that warm, mid 50's I would say on Sunday. Of course climbing over trees and trudging through snow will tend to get one heated up. With all the tress down, the trick was to make sure you stepped either on the branches or else far away from them as you walked around the many, many trees across the trail. If you stepped to close to downed limbs, you would break through as these had pockets of air under them. Many times we lost the trail and had to circle about looking for it. One time we lost the trail for about a half hour. Still, as River said, it was much better to be out here than at work. I agree.

We started at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ /><st1:City w:st=Dalton </st1:City>and headed south. No sooner did we hit the trail and cross RR tracks then a freight train came by. We gradually headed up until we reached a beautiful view of <st1:City w:st="on">Pittsfield</st1:City>, Mtn Greylock and the Green Mtns in the distant north. After an 11.8 mile day we reached October Mtn Lean-to. Two men, Brian and Jack, were there with sleds of radio equipment that they had hauled in. Brian had set up a portable radio transmitter with an antenna they put into the tress using a fishing pole. Yup!! It was the monthly AT Polar Bear get together. Radio enthusiasts evidently get together once a month during the winter and call each other from up and down the trail. Brian had made 3 or 4 AT Polar Bear contacts that evening: 2 in PA and at least 1 in NJ. He had about 20 other general contacts as well from <st1:State w:st="on">Michigan</st1:State> to <st1:State w:st="on">Maryland</ST1:pl</st1:State>. These guys were loaded with equipment, including motorcycle batteries, propane lantern, a gallon of kerosene to get a fire going, crampons, fishing pole, buck saw, SPOT, etc. Remember, they pulled this stiff in with two sleds. With maybe two hundred pounds of gear, they brought freeze dried food!! Go figure.

On Sunday we hiked 7.2 miles to Rt 20. On this day there were fewer tracks on the trail. We no longer had the trusty snowshoe tracks from the day before to follow. There were lots more downed trees on Sunday and we had to stop frequently to find the trail. For the last few miles we were very thankful for whoever put up pick plastic ribbon to mark the trail. This, coupled with more trail clearing with a chain saw, made for a better going.

All in all a good couple of days in the woods and I got to hike with a new friend, River1. Thanks for hooking up me, Scott.

wystiria
03-24-2009, 11:58
nice job!!!! when is the next outing?

Chenango
03-24-2009, 14:30
I plan on going on the Parade of Fools hike on April 4/5 in NJ. After that I might do another weekend in Vt or Mass later in the month.