PDA

View Full Version : A T C Biennial Meeting - Castleton College,VT -July '09

Red Wolf
03-07-2009, 11:20
:sun for complete info see www.vermont2009.org (http://www.vermont2009.org) -the Biennial is
where we elect our AT management, besides all the comaradie,workshops,etc.

Cheers, ---Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

weary
03-07-2009, 19:02
They are calling it a "festival" this year, but a scan of the program makes it clear that it is the same as the old "conference." I plan to be there, God willing.

YoungMoose
03-07-2009, 20:05
plan on going if my dad can drive me

rickb
03-07-2009, 23:04
They are calling it a "festival" this year, but a scan of the program makes it clear that it is the same as the old "conference." I plan to be there, God willing.

Me too.

Sometimes you get to meet a compelling personality and really good guy in the mess hall.

Jeff
03-08-2009, 08:03

There will indeed be a "festival" in nearby Rutland, VT the following month:

http://www.nvnohi.com/ltf/info/info.html

Tin Man
03-08-2009, 08:28
The program in the AT Journeys magazine goes on for many pages... must be a lot of attendees who need help with "it's just hiking". :)

boarstone
03-08-2009, 08:37
Hope to make it, this is a "week long" event? How long does it take to "confer"....

Tin Man
03-08-2009, 08:42
there are many, many programs, presentations and excursions on the agenda

http://www.vermont2009.org/general_schedule.htm

Peaks
03-09-2009, 16:53
On line registration opened March 2, after resolving some last minute glitches.

ki0eh
03-10-2009, 12:53
We are planning to go.

Might have planned on the whole week if they were trying the kids program again. Guess that's been tried a couple of times and dropped - lack of interest? volunteers? not sure. The biennial meeting that drew me deeply into the hikes committee (Shippensburg '01) was pre-kids for us.

Also the dorm rooms are starting to get pricey.

Red Wolf
03-10-2009, 13:11
After coming all the way up from Savannah,GA for the ATC Bieniel ( Appalachian Trail Festival ), I'll have a few weeks to spendhiking and yellow-blazing around NH,VT,ME i.e, NEW ENGLAND, before the Long Trail Festival over in Rutland,VT ( I think the correct dates for that is August the weekend of August 7 . Their website is www.longtrailfestivalvt.org (http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.org) . --Cheers, Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

Peaks
03-11-2009, 16:09
We are planning to go.

Might have planned on the whole week if they were trying the kids program again. Guess that's been tried a couple of times and dropped - lack of interest? volunteers? not sure. The biennial meeting that drew me deeply into the hikes committee (Shippensburg '01) was pre-kids for us.

Also the dorm rooms are starting to get pricey.

We decided not to offer an organized youth program because of 1) low participation at recent AT conferences and 2) youth protection issues. Just not worth the effort.

Yes, dorms and meal prices at Castleton are getting pricey. But that's what the college is charging.

Blue Jay
03-11-2009, 16:56
After coming all the way up from Savannah,GA for the ATC Bieniel ( Appalachian Trail Festival ), I'll have a few weeks to spendhiking and yellow-blazing around NH,VT,ME i.e, NEW ENGLAND, before the Long Trail Festival over in Rutland,VT ( I think the correct dates for that is August the weekend of August 7 . Their website is www.longtrailfestivalvt.org (http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.org) . --Cheers, Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

The Long Trail Festival is cheaper, and it has music and thruhikers. The ATC Festival is for Trail Talkers (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Red Wolf
03-14-2009, 11:50
Yes, the Long Trail Fesdtival has super music and is cheaper ( I have help operate it for the first two year --'07 & '08 ) . The ATC Biennial ( Appalachian Trail Festival ) also has thru-hikers ,only, perhaps not as many '09 thru-hikers as the LT Festival .
Blue Jay , have you been to an A T C Biennial before ? There is a 2,000 miler reception planned again for this one ----I believe they are all thru-hikers, no ?
The business meeting actually gives your voice a chance to be heard, through your vote for the A.T.C. management . MORE THAN ALL THAT....the tremendous amount of workshops,organized hikes, and the diverse people you meet at an ATC Biennial
( not only hikers,but trail builders, trail maintainers,trail supporters ,trail involved Federal officials, and excellent entertainment over a longer festival than the L T Festival make the Biennial quite unique and of much value to all hikers,includeing the
current crop of thru-hikers . ---Happy Trails! ---Red Wolf

Cookerhiker
03-14-2009, 12:25
I'm planning to attend, the ATC meeting that is. Not sure yet about the Long Trail Festival.

Blue Jay
03-15-2009, 10:13
Blue Jay , have you been to an A T C Biennial before ?

I have not, however I've been a member for over 10 years. I'm sure it's a great event and I would have a great time. I'm just a little bothered by the fact they are holding it in almost the same place, only a few weeks before the LT Festival and afraid it will take some of the wind out of the smaller event. I'm not saying it was a deliberate thing, or a big deal, but some consideration may have been made. I emailed them my concerns, no one has yet responded.

Frosty
03-15-2009, 10:47
I have not, however I've been a member for over 10 years. I'm sure it's a great event and I would have a great time. I'm just a little bothered by the fact they are holding it in almost the same place, only a few weeks before the LT Festival and afraid it will take some of the wind out of the smaller event. I'm not saying it was a deliberate thing, or a big deal, but some consideration may have been made. I emailed them my concerns, no one has yet responded.The site was chosen before the first LT Festival I believe. I know they had brochures printed and available at the NJ ATC conference two years ago.

Why would you characterize the ATC event as trail talkers, even granting that you have never been to one? They have a whole week of hiking and trail work. You don't have to attend to look at the schedule. In NJ I went on an awesome hike of the Long Path between the GW Bridge and the NY/NJ border. It was lead by local hikers and not only did I get in a great hike (without having to double back) but learned a lot about the history of the Palisades during the hike.

I didn't attend either LT Festival because it seemed to be more like a music concert than a hiker event according to the description on the web site. So you say they are trail walkers, not talkers? If they have a bunch of hikes then I might be interested. I'll look into it again.

But the ATC conference/festival has been good over the years (White MTns and NJ were the ones I attended). I don't care much for the greatly increased cost this year (why northern NE should cost so much more than NJ is beyond me), but I will likely attend this year if my schedule works out.

rickb
03-15-2009, 10:54
One of the things that impressed me at one of these, was meeting so many people who had put their heart and soul into protecting the AT.

And protecting it in so many different ways. Really cool.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2009, 11:50
When Rick says you might meet some interesting personalities at the ATC get-together, he's exactly right.

I spent a very long lunch at a Biennial a few years ago, sitting around a big table with, among others, Bob Peoples and Earl Shaffer.

If you have a chance to attend one of these weekends, you should.

BAG "o" TRICKS
03-16-2009, 13:02
When Rick says you might meet some interesting personalities at the ATC get-together, he's exactly right.

I spent a very long lunch at a Biennial a few years ago, sitting around a big table with, among others, Bob Peoples and Earl Shaffer.

Earl asked Jack if he's was hiking the trail again, Jack replied "yep", Earl leans in and ask Jack in his soft spoken voice, "how many times will this be", Jack replies "five", Earl rears back looks at Jack and says "what are ya Crazy". Best converstion I've ever witnessed between two AT thru-hikers.

Red Wolf
03-16-2009, 13:04
I have not, however I've been a member for over 10 years. I'm sure it's a great event and I would have a great time. I'm just a little bothered by the fact they are holding it in almost the same place, only a few weeks before the LT Festival and afraid it will take some of the wind out of the smaller event. I'm not saying it was a deliberate thing, or a big deal, but some consideration may have been made. I emailed them my concerns, no one has yet responded.

FIRST, Blue Jay let me say " Thankyou for your support of the LT Festival . I am happy Wayne and Mabudda got it going two years ago
as it gives hikers another festival along the AT in August ( when thru-hikers are up there in New England ! ) I plan to help at the registration table again this year and urge EVERYONE to attend it because we are trying to make it grow into a PERMANENT A T Festival . Give the ATC Bienniel a good report too . -RC

Frosty
03-17-2009, 14:26
Filling out my application last night, it seemed to me that the food costs were way higher than the previous conferences. Is this true or just my imagination?

I checked online and found a lot of eateries within walking distance of the campus with great food and better prices (conference bfast=$8, lunch=$9, dinner=$15). Just one for comparison:

http://www.birdseyediner.com/

I do remember, though, in NJ that the cafe was kind of a hiker hangout and I enjoyed sitting and bumping in other hikers I knew. Lots from Whiteblaze. Of course, there the campus was isolated and the cafeteria was the only place to eat. In Castelton, the college is right downtown in a quaint VT village.

So what are people planning on doing? Using the college cafteria or walking to a nearby diner?

Peaks
03-17-2009, 17:17

The host club rotates among the AT maintaining clubs. After more than 30 years, it's the Green Mountain Club's turn to be the host.

Criteria for site selection includes a location large enough for 750 plus people, and close proximity to the Appalachian Trail. Those two factors narrow the selection pretty quickly.

Date was selected based largely on when the college could accomodate us. Most colleges these days have a full summer actvitity program with various sports camps and such. We needed to fit in around their returning clients.

And we did talk with Mad Hatter, the organizer of the LT Festival, before nailing down the date and location.

Blue Jay, I don't know who you expressed your concerns to, but if you have some unanswered concerns, then why not PM me, and I see if I can get an answer for you.

Peaks
03-17-2009, 17:23
Filling out my application last night, it seemed to me that the food costs were way higher than the previous conferences. Is this true or just my imagination?

I checked online and found a lot of eateries within walking distance of the campus with great food and better prices (conference bfast=$8, lunch=$9, dinner=$15). Just one for comparison:

http://www.birdseyediner.com/

I do remember, though, in NJ that the cafe was kind of a hiker hangout and I enjoyed sitting and bumping in other hikers I knew. Lots from Whiteblaze. Of course, there the campus was isolated and the cafeteria was the only place to eat. In Castelton, the college is right downtown in a quaint VT village.

So what are people planning on doing? Using the college cafteria or walking to a nearby diner?

Food costs are probably higher. And, I know that my weekly grocery bill is also higher these days. And when I go out to eat, that costs more also. Castleton isn't cutting us much slack on lodging and meals.

For what it's worth, early registrations show that about 2/3 of the people are using the college cafeteria.

There is a cafe on campus that will be open during the week if you want a place hang out.

weary
03-17-2009, 17:50
Maybe because you sent your comment to the wrong organization. The ATC biennial meetings are arranged by a local maintaining club. Maine's chance comes every 17 years or so.

I know it was a tremendous amount ot work for a small group like MATC. We arranged for the site, negotiated prices, set the date, organized all the hikes, set up all the workshops, etc.

I'm not sure which club is in charge of the Vermont meeting.

But don't underestimate the volunteer work involved. Maine Appalachian Trail Club worked several years leading up to the 1997(?) meeting. Members devoted many hundreds of hours divided among a dozen or more committees. We even enlisted the aid of the Maine Chapter, AMC. The Maine Chapter did all the arranging and leading of hikes.

Weary

Blue Jay
03-17-2009, 18:04
Thank you, Weary, you already answered my questions. I never underestimated the amount of work because I cannot estimate what I cannot imagine. I have hard enough time these days just working for a living. Thank you to all who work on both events.

Cookerhiker
03-17-2009, 21:53
...I'm not sure which club is in charge of the Vermont meeting....Weary

Green Mountain Club

Red Wolf
03-20-2009, 11:08
:sunLONG TRAIL FESTIVAL

For recent info go to www.longtrailfestivalvt.com (http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com) and see the
current web page.

I plan to do both and hike/camp in New England between the two !
Cheers, ---Red Wolf

Red Wolf
03-20-2009, 11:18
:sun Both Castleton and Rutland are served by Amtrak !

I'll do both festivals and hike/camp between the two.

See : www.longtrailfestivalvt.com (http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com) for more info on it

Cheers, ---Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

Red Wolf
03-20-2009, 11:23
:sun

Peaks
03-22-2009, 17:52
Thank you, Weary, you already answered my questions. I never underestimated the amount of work because I cannot estimate what I cannot imagine. I have hard enough time these days just working for a living. Thank you to all who work on both events.

Volunteers from the Green Mountain Club have been working on this Festival for nearly 4 years now.

We need about 300 volunteers in total. It's a huge undertaking

Cabin Fever
03-26-2009, 22:33
Tennessee Eastman will have about 15 in attendance. Some of us are hitting the Trail after the conference/festival. Can anyone recommend the best 50-75 mile stretch in the Rutland area? I ordered my Vermont maps months ago. They are "supposed" to arrive in April.

Cookerhiker
03-27-2009, 08:46
Tennessee Eastman will have about 15 in attendance. Some of us are hitting the Trail after the conference/festival. Can anyone recommend the best 50-75 mile stretch in the Rutland area? I ordered my Vermont maps months ago. They are "supposed" to arrive in April.

The best segment of the Long Trail IMO and that of many others is the 57 miles from Lincoln Gap to Smugglers Notch/Rt. 108. You start with an ascent up Mt. Abraham, a 4,000 footer extending above treeline with 360 degree views. Here you get your first view of Lake Champlain. 2 days or so later comes Camels Hump, at 4,083' the highest point on the LT without roads & development. 2 days later is Mt. Mansfield, highest point in VT at 4,395'. Both Camels Hump & Mansfield are above treeline and feature alpine vegetation.

This stretch could beat you up as northern Vermont hiking is very rugged but if you want more mileage, you start at Midlebury Gap/Rt. 125 closer to Rutland (17 more miles) or hike further north from Rt. 108 to Rt. 15, tacking on 13 miles. I would not recommend starting at 108 and hiking south unless you relish beginning your hike with a 2,800' ascent (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=203338) over only 2.3 miles.

If you have a chance, spend a night at Butler Lodge on the west slope of the south side of the Mansfield massif. Despite the moniker "lodge," it's nothing more than a 4-sided shelter. The views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks, especially at sunset, are stunning.

Cabin Fever
03-27-2009, 09:41
The best segment of the Long Trail IMO and that of many others is the 57 miles from Lincoln Gap to Smugglers Notch/Rt. 108. You start with an ascent up Mt. Abraham, a 4,000 footer extending above treeline with 360 degree views. Here you get your first view of Lake Champlain. 2 days or so later comes Camels Hump, at 4,083' the highest point on the LT without roads & development. 2 days later is Mt. Mansfield, highest point in VT at 4,395'. Both Camels Hump & Mansfield are above treeline and feature alpine vegetation.

This stretch could beat you up as northern Vermont hiking is very rugged but if you want more mileage, you start at Midlebury Gap/Rt. 125 closer to Rutland (17 more miles) or hike further north from Rt. 108 to Rt. 15, tacking on 13 miles. I would not recommend starting at 108 and hiking south unless you relish beginning your hike with a 2,800' ascent (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=203338) over only 2.3 miles.

If you have a chance, spend a night at Butler Lodge on the west slope of the south side of the Mansfield massif. Despite the moniker "lodge," it's nothing more than a 4-sided shelter. The views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks, especially at sunset, are stunning.

Sorry, I wasn't clear....is this only the LT? I want to stay on the AT. My opportunities to section hike this far away from home base are few and far between.

Cookerhiker
03-27-2009, 09:54
Sorry, I wasn't clear....is this only the LT? I want to stay on the AT. My opportunities to section hike this far away from home base are few and far between.

Then you probably want to hike north from the Kelly Stand Road to Rt. 4/Sherburne Pass - about 67 miles. You'll get to hike over Stratton Mountain and end up ascending the Killington massif before descending down to Rt. 4. I suggest parking your car at the Long Trail Inn parking lot and catching a shuttle south to begin your hike.

But also you want to consider the organized hikes during the week. Are you staying the entire week July 17-24? Are you going on any of the organized hikes during that time and then taking your week with the 50-70 miles afterwards? Some of the organized hikes are overnighters.

Cabin Fever
03-27-2009, 14:20
I am not participating in the overnighters. I am gong through Monday afternoon and then hitting the Trail. Our group will be shuttling ourselves.

Cookerhiker
03-27-2009, 16:22
I am not participating in the overnighters. I am gong through Monday afternoon and then hitting the Trail. Our group will be shuttling ourselves.

Since you're shuttling yourselves, the one problem with my suggestion is I'm not too sure what the parking is like at Kelly Stand Rd. It's all Forest Service land and there is a lot there, but you may want to check with the GMC about how safe it is to leave a car there for a few days.

Should be a great hike. You start by hiking up Stratton Mountain where there's a fire tower and where Benton MacKaye reportedly conceived his vision of the AT. You'll have some nice ponds for swimming - first Stratton Pond on the other side of the mountain and a few days later, Little Rock Pond and Griffith Lake.

I think you'll also find that by the time you reach Killington, the hike is fairly easy considering Killington is the 2nd highest mountain in VT although the AT doesn't cross over the top.

I suggest leaving your car at the Long Trail Inn (http://www.innatlongtrail.com/) parking lot and ending your hike with whatever liquid refreshments suit your fancy in their pub. And by all means, blue-blaze your way down to the LT Inn and Sherburne Pass. The blue-blaze served as the official AT route for decades; the re-route was only a few years ago and is much less interesting.

Cabin Fever
03-27-2009, 21:41
Thanks for the beta. This will go a long way to helping me plan our trip.

Red Wolf
04-30-2009, 10:30
:banana LAST DAY FOR $ 25 DISCOUNT ---A.T. MUSEUM HAS A BUILDING !

Today is the last day to send in a registration for the Biennial via the
US Mail ( needs to be postmarked no later than April 30 ) or else sent in
on-line today at www.vermont2009.org (http://www.vermont2009.org) .

June 30 is the last date to send in paper registration and receive a written
confirmation in return.

July 17 begins on-site registration at Castleton State College,Castleton,VT

***** A.T. MUSEUM NOW HAS A BUILDING ******
A lease for the use of the 20 year-old " Old Mill " at Pennsylvania's
Pine Grove Furnace State Park was signed Tuesday ( with the stipulation
that it be brought up to code within a year ) . It is the mid-point of the A.T. and sits directly across Pine Grove Road from the camp store, which
is famous as the site of the " 1/2 GAL. Club " among thru-hikers . This news is very exciting for all of us and quite a MILESTONE in our developement of a premanent A.T. museum . We aim to open doors next
April 2010 with a Celebration on-site to coincide with the spring meeting of the A.T. Museum Board. In the meantime, look for our fund-raising raffle at Trail Days ---lots of work needs to be done on the building to bring it up to code ( - although it is a MOST FINE solid stone,3 story structure ! ).
KUDOS to MANY, MANY people involved that have brought us along to this point , this major milestone ! " Thankyou " .

See yah at Trail Days !

Red Wolf aka robert croyle
A.T. Museum - membership secretary

Red Wolf
06-18-2009, 13:27
:sun A.T. FESTIVAL

Bought my Amtrak tickets to Rutland,VT for the ATC BIENNIAL TODAY !
Hope to see yah thar' ! Check out my workshop there ...W1948 !

Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

more info at www.vermont2009.org (http://www.vermont2009.org) :D

Jack Tarlin
06-18-2009, 13:39
This should be a great event. Folks should also know about the Long Trail Festival in Rutland VT on 8 August; prospective thru-hikers might be even more interested in attending the annual ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hiker's Association) Gathering, which will be in Gettysburg PA from 9-11 October. See www.aldha.org for details.

Jeff
06-18-2009, 15:25
Jack mentioned the Long Trail Festival in Rutland, VT. Details can be found here:

http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com/

Last year they concluded with a Hardcore work trip. Nice to see Hardcore duplicated up north!!!!!

Cookerhiker
06-18-2009, 15:48
Looking forward to the ATC Conference; especially I'm hoping to see some WBers I haven't met in person yet. Anyone going on the Battenkill paddling trip (http://www.vermont2009.org/excursions_desc.htm)Tuesday, July 21?

Heading out on the 15th - about a 2 day drive from my new home.

WalkinHome
06-19-2009, 12:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin

Earl asked Jack if he's was hiking the trail again, Jack replied "yep", Earl leans in and ask Jack in his soft spoken voice, "how many times will this be", Jack replies "five", Earl rears back looks at Jack and says "what are ya Crazy". Best converstion I've ever witnessed between two AT thru-hikers.

Thanks to Tricks and Jack they introduced me to Earl at that same table for lunch. When Earl found out I was from Maine, he ragged on me for ten minutes about how much harder the AT was there compared to his first hike. I finally got a word in edgewise and told him "Earl, it wasn't my fault!!" LOL
Then he proceeded to tell me the secret to long life was a couple of teaspoons of cider vinegar every morning - tried it - yechh!!!

Red Wolf
06-29-2009, 12:58
:D LONG TRAIL FESTIVAL

Got 2 new films to show at the festival
from the Dept. of the Interior / Fish & Wildlife Services !
One is about the Appalchian Mts. through the 4 annual seasons;
the other is about a female field biologist and her work with the
only wolves KNOWN to catch ( ? ) and EAT FISH ! ! !

Just one of MANY REASONS to show up here in Rutland this August .
--- Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

rickb
07-13-2009, 19:51
Any other WBers participating/leading a seminar, hike or such?

Cookerhiker
07-13-2009, 20:10
Any other WBers participating/leading a seminar, hike or such?

Rick, I assume you're referring to the ATC conference since it's the subject of the thread. The last post by Red Wolf appeared related to the LT Festival.

Anyway, I'm attending the ATC and am participating in the Battenkill River rafting trip on Tuesday the 21st.

ki0eh
07-18-2009, 17:08
I'm here. Now I know why the food and such was so expensive. The whole campus is torn up including the main functional access road. On Saturday, full day of workshops, someone decided it was a good idea to trim trees on campus. No water bottles due to "forever green" but the water spigots in the dorms hiss air and brown stuff, perhaps because the work includes utility lines. I realize this kind of thing is out of ATC and GMC's direct control but the condition of these facilities for a major conference is kind of ridiculous.

emerald
07-18-2009, 23:55
I realize this kind of thing is out of ATC and GMC's direct control but the condition of these facilities for a major conference is kind of ridiculous.

Maybe it wouldn't be inappropriate for ATC/GMC to withhold any payment which may still be owed and negotiate a reduction. I wouldn't think they accepted use of the facility on those terms or those who registered and are attending expected what they have gotten for their money.

Red Wolf
07-20-2009, 11:29
:D TODAY AT CASTLETON COLLEGE ( the A T Festival )

At the ATC business meeting this am, the ATC presented our
A.T. Museum president, Larry Luxenberg, a framed certificate,
given out only by the vote of the ATC Board of Directors, which
made him an " ATC Honorary Board of Directors Member " ! ! !

This is a GREAT ENCOURAGEMENT to all of us who labor for the
creation of our Appalachian Trail Museum .

- Robert " Red Wolf o'da Smoky's " Croyle
AT Museum - membership secretary

Museum Lady
07-20-2009, 20:35
Congratulations Larry! You deserve it...

Terry

Red Wolf
07-21-2009, 08:35
:sunA CLARIFICATION :
The certificate the Appalachian Trail Museum president received
read " Larry Luxenberg is designated by the
A.T.C. Board of Directors
as an
Honorary Member "

I hope that clears up any misconceptions caused by wording .

We,that is all of us working for the museum's creation,
remain MUCH ENCOURAGED by the deserved recognition Larry received
at the Appalachian Trail Festival . -- HAPPY TRAILS ! -- RW :clap

Lauriep
07-21-2009, 09:54
I thought the A.T. Festival/Conference in Castleton was terrific.

Perhaps not everything was perfect for everyone, but Green Mountain Club did an amazing job, organizing 60 hikes, 40 workshops, 20 excursions, and 11 workshops for more than 500 people over a period of 8 days--to touch on just some of the major features. Mind-blowing to think about.

Some highlights for me personally:

- Having a venue where club presidents, including one who was a fairly recent former thru-hiker (Gary "Blaze" Monk from GATC (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=22746)) could discuss trail magic with hikers (including Baltimore Jack).

- Passing trail legends like Dave Field on campus several times a day. This guy has been maintaining and protecting trail for over 50 years. From the looks of him, I think he was really just about 3 when he first started, although he insists he was a teenager.

- Learning more chainsaw safety tips from a veteran USFS instructor and seeing some cool tools to make sharpening easier.

- Seeing Catbird, whom I first met at Tray Mountain Shelter on her second thru-hike in '87, who now can't stop talking about trail maintenance.

- Being in a room and hearing Maine, Southern, and Dutchie (Pennsylvania Dutch) accents all at the same time.

- Seeing Longstep ('08) again, whom Dick and I had met at The Mayor's house last June on our section hike, and realizing only now that we were childhood acquaintences (we hadn't seen each other in 40 years).

- Seeing Gene Espy and his family.

- Having an '07 thru-hiker "Early Bird" (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3825) (recently elected president of the Cumberland Valley A.T. Club) approach me to talk about how ATC can reach out to thru-hikers when they finish their hikes to get them more engaged in ATC, their local clubs, and giving back. He believes there is a short window of time when thru-hikers are very intersted in giving back, but most folks will soon go on to other things. Any thoughts on this one?

And some lump-in-the throat moments:

- Hearing recent thru-hikers (first-timers and radical repeaters) and a few section-hikers explain what their hikes meant to them in the "thru-hikers share secrets of success" workshop

- Seeing Larry Luxenberg receive ATC's Honorary Membership award. (I posted a photo in the gallery under "Legends."

Were most of the attendees over 50? Yes. Does that need to change? Absolutely. But I think it can happen 2 years from now. For the first time that I am aware of, ATC has been asked to provide substantial help in the planning for the next conference/festival (2011, in Emory, near Abingdon/Damascus). Yes, it's called an ATC meeting, and it is, but the hosting club traditionally has done most of the work. With ATC's recent focus on reaching future generations, I think we now have the mindset to help make it happen next time.

I also want to send out a personal thanks to Rick Boudrie, Cookerhiker, Mrs. Gorp, Marcia "Point Two Mile Marcie" Fairweather, Longportage, Longstep, Slowstepper, Tiger Bomb, Katahdin Kid, Geezer, Early Bird, Hardy, and Baltimore Jack for help with my workshops.

A special thanks to Baltimore Jack for shouldering the duty of representing all the hikers who weren't there and the many, many ways he helped out.

Laurie P.

Lauriep
07-21-2009, 09:56
And thanks to Bill O' Brien for moderating the thru-hiking workshop!

Jack Tarlin
07-23-2009, 16:34
Been away fro the computer for awhile.....I entirely missed Larry's award as I was busy helping some folks pack up during the Business Meeting.

Just wanted to add that this honor is so deserved I don't know what to say. For more years than I can remember, Larry has been working to establish and find a permanent home for the A.T. Museum; it means that the history of the Trail; documents; artifacts; memorabilia; you name it, will be collected, safeguarded, and preserved for years to come. NONE of this would have happened without Larry's efforts.

Oh, and his book "Walking the Appalachian Trail" is also, fifteen years after publication, a must read for anyone seriously interested in the A.T. or contemplating a long trip.

Nice going, Larry, couldn't have happened to a nicer or more deserving guy!

Jack Tarlin
07-24-2009, 17:10
One more comment about the A.T. Bi-ennial meeting.......on several occasions, I ran into folks I'd either never met before or had only seen in passing a long time ago, and in several cases, I ran into folks I've argued with quite heatedly with here at Whiteblaze and elsewhere. (Weary comes to mind, and also RickB, who was in attendance with his lovely wife).

Not for the first time I made the observation that one's interaction with people when you encounter them in person and one's perception of them is frequently a world apart from one's interaction with them on the Internet, and this is, of course, a good thing.

So remember when you get in a fight with someone On-Line, you never know when you're gonna run into that fella in person, and believe it or not, sometimes you'll surprise yourself on how nice those people turn out to be.

(And then again, sometimes your original perception is right on the money, but we'll let that one go for awhile! :D )

Blue Jay
07-24-2009, 18:35
So remember when you get in a fight with someone On-Line, you never know when you're gonna run into that fella in person, and believe it or not, sometimes you'll surprise yourself on how nice those people turn out to be.

That's true but for some strange reason it sure took all of the fun out of insulting you.

Peaks
07-25-2009, 08:17
It was a great event, with over 900 people in attendance.

Construction: Castleton College got a major construction grant after we committed to them for the conference. And then the town decided to do water line upgrades. But, the College did everything possible to work with us. They were hanging the doors on the entrance to the gym on Thursday so we could have access from the front over the weekend.

Sure, the tenting area got moved from the athletic fields to the other side of campus, but the space was adequate, and didn't turn into a mud pit with the rain.

The only building that we couldn't use was the Student Center.

While South Street was under construction, we used the Seminary Street entrance.

So, all in all, we were able to work around the construction.

And nothing but praise for the Castleton College staff. For every request, the reply was never no. It was always "let me see what I can do for you." Reviewing the comment sheets, I didn't see any negative comments about the Castleton College staff, and that says a lot!

Peaks
07-25-2009, 08:31
And, least I forget, a big thank you to everyone who pitched in and helped. I think we had over 200 volunteers, some who worked started volunteers 2 and 3 years ago to plan the event and stay on top of all the details.

My own thanks to the many ALDHA members and White Blazers that helped. Good to see everyone there, at least briefly as we went about our tasks. We couldn't have done it without you. So, thanks for staffing tables, leading hikes, checking out various things like signage, running workshops and evening programs, and the list goes on and on.

Jeff
07-25-2009, 10:27
And THANK YOU to you Peaks for your volunteer service. Are you a Green Mountain Club and AMC member?

Yukon
07-25-2009, 11:12
Looking forward to the ATC Conference; especially I'm hoping to see some WBers I haven't met in person yet. Anyone going on the Battenkill paddling trip (http://www.vermont2009.org/excursions_desc.htm)Tuesday, July 21?

Heading out on the 15th - about a 2 day drive from my new home.

Wow, just noticed this post. Battenkill Riversports is owned by my grandparents. I grew up helping out shuttling and what not, and still do when they need some extra hands. Floating down the Battenkill is a great time so if you can make it, go for it! I have spent A LOT of time on that river and it's just beautiful. You won't be dissapointed if you do it :)

rickb
07-25-2009, 11:25
Thanks to everyone who made it happen. It could not have been easy!

We had a great time.

It was inspiring to meet the wide variety of people who make the AT what it is.

Whiteblaze was mentioned a couple times, including in a presentation by the AT Park Rangers (that included case studies on lost hiker & Spike incidents). This web site has a positive impact in many ways.

It really is remarkable how the trail brings people together. Especially people who most often want to be out in the woods by themselves.

The only thing I found mildly disturbing the whole weekend was the condition of Jack Tarlin's hat. You wouldn't display an American flag in such an appalling state, why do that to a Sox logo? Geesh. I'll may have to open up a discussion on that in another thread. Shameful, really.

Everything else was really well done.

Thanks to Peaks, his crew and all you volunteers!!!!!

Peaks
07-25-2009, 16:09
And THANK YOU to you Peaks for your volunteer service. Are you a Green Mountain Club and AMC member?

Yes, as well as several other trail organizations. See everyone at the Gathering (and possibly LT Festival).

Red Wolf
07-26-2009, 16:27
:bananaYEAH ! ....SEE YAH AT THE LONG TRAIL FESTIVAL

COUNT-DOWN to Long Tr. Fest. begins at #10 tomorrow, Mon. 7/26....
August 7 ( Friday ) the Campground will open !
See : www.longtrailfestivalvt.com (http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com)
- RW

ki0eh
07-26-2009, 22:44
The College staff that I encountered were extremely helpful. One groundskeeper walked with me around two buildings so I could find where to check out! I heard someone remark that they found it astounding that the contractor would release the gym for use in the state it was in - fortunately, it worked, or so it seemed.

Thanks to all the volunteers and staff who worked on the meeting!

(But please have a kids program next time!! ;) I don't think my now-6 yo will let me keep dragging her to conferences unless I can guarantee some other kids will show up!)

Peaks
07-27-2009, 07:28
(But please have a kids program next time!! ;) I don't think my now-6 yo will let me keep dragging her to conferences unless I can guarantee some other kids will show up!)

Over the years, various organizers have put a lot of effort into planning youth programs. But, the participation has always been very low.

This year, we did not offer a youth program for seveal reasons:
1. Concerns about youth protection/ legal exposure
2. Low youth participation in at prior conferences
3. Lack of volunteer to run the program

If someone is interested in heading up a youth program at the 2011 conference, contact Ned Kuhns, the chairman.

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2009, 10:40
Speaking of youth programs, a concerted outreach program to younger hikers sure wouldn't hurt, either. This includes contemporary long-distance hikers. Having the Bi-ennial in Casteton in mid-July was an absolutely perfect opportunity to reach out to the 2009 hikers. That being said, if there was ONE person at the Bi-ennial presently hiking the A.T. or Long Trail, well I didn't see them. A hikers Forum that had originally planned to feature some 2009 hikers made due with hikers from other years, as NO 2009 hikers could be found. The Forum turned out just fine, but it was pretty ridiculous that no present-day long-distance hikers attended this event, while there were probably close to 20 of them just a few miles away in Rutland while the conference was going on.

In short, it doesn't seem to me that the present day A.T.C. is remotely interested in attracting new people, and this is a shame. It's also bad for the organization: Every year, the ATC loses long-time members, donors, trail club members, and maintainers. But if they're reaching out at all to younger hikers, I saw no evidence of this in Castleton: On opening night, looking around an auditorium with more than 500 people in it, I remarked to several friends that not counting a handful of very young children there with their parents, I didn't see 10 people in the room under the age of 45. I tell you, it's a weird feeling when I attend an event, and I'm one of the youngest people in the room. Honestly, it looked like an AARP conventionl, with Gore-Tex.

For the ATC to thrive, this MUST change, and the people running the organization better wake up and realize this. There were some wonderful, very committed folks in Castleton, many of whom have done remarkable work for the ATC for years. But while decades of service is a great thing, and deserves to be honored, what's gonna happen when these people are gone?

I hope someone in Harpers Ferry sees this.

Blue Jay
07-27-2009, 16:24
A hikers Forum that had originally planned to feature some 2009 hikers made due with hikers from other years, as NO 2009 hikers could be found. The Forum turned out just fine, but it was pretty ridiculous that no present-day long-distance hikers attended this event, while there were probably close to 20 of them just a few miles away in Rutland while the conference was going on.

I tell you, it's a weird feeling when I attend an event, and I'm one of the youngest people in the room. Honestly, it looked like an AARP conventionl, with Gore-Tex.

I agree and I'm glad you brought that up. In order to attract younger members you would have to do something to attract them. Something like the Long Trail Festival a few days from now, which clearly DOES attract current hikers. Maybe, just maybe, the AARP convention people should attend.

Peaks
07-28-2009, 07:50
It's always easy to critcize.
Next AT Festival/Conference is the 2011 event in Emery Virginia. Why not contact Chairman Ned Kuhns and offer to be part of the solution. He's going to need all the volunteer help he can muster for this huge volunteer run event.

Blue Jay
07-28-2009, 09:09
Next AT Festival/Conference is the 2011 event in Emery Virginia. Why not contact Chairman Ned Kuhns and offer to be part of the solution. He's going to need all the volunteer help he can muster for this huge volunteer run event.

How close to the trail is Emery VA.? Is the date near when any number of thrus will be in the area? In order to be part of a solution an organization has to be slightly aware there is even a problem. I don't get me wrong, I love the ATC and will always be a member as long as they support the trail, but on this issue they could care less. Do I wish to spend a vast amount of time and nonhiking travel trying to change this ingrained trait, ah NO.

Blue Jay
07-28-2009, 09:14
The only thing I found mildly disturbing the whole weekend was the condition of Jack Tarlin's hat. You wouldn't display an American flag in such an appalling state, why do that to a Sox logo? Geesh.

On a lighter note, I am appauled that anyone would question Mr. Tarlin's absolute devotion to the Red Sox. Although I have not seen this particular hat, I have seen others and I can assure you each mildly disturbing hat matches his mildly disturbing head.:eek:

warren doyle
07-28-2009, 11:03
Emory, VA (location of Emory & Henry College)
About 15-20 miles from Damascus.

Cabin Fever
07-28-2009, 12:07
2013 is in Culowhee, NC at Western Carolina University. Farther off the Trail, but in the middle of great hiking country. Pisgah trails all over the place.

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2009, 12:16
Um, Peaks, regarding Castleton, I did more than criticize. I volunteered to help out around 15 seconds after I arrived on campus and spent the next few days doing anything I was asked to, including serving as a greeter at the tent campsite; taking part in different workshops/events; and taking several hours to help folks break down and pack up their displays at the end of the weekend. In fact, I skipped the annual Business Meeting to do this. So yeah, I actually did more than simply criticize the event.

That being said, I still stand by my comments, I've forwarded them along to Harpers Ferry, and I hope somebody considers the points I raised and does something about it. As for 2011, I don't know where I'll be during the next Bi-Ennial, and I'm seldom in Virginia at that point of the year, but if I can, of course I'll attend the event. After all, somebody's gotta help with the heavy lifting, and a lot of the blue-hairs in attendance might not be up to it.

Tin Man
07-28-2009, 13:12
I haven't read the entire thread, but the comments about attracting a younger crowd to this kind of event is kind of interesting. Why would they be interested at all in the ATC events? What would they find remotely interesting about presentations that involve how to walk? I am pretty sure they know how to do that. And if they need long distance hiking advice, they get it where they get everything else these days, on the Internet. :)

I recently took a Boy Scout group of 10 hiking in the Whites. In the planning phases, I briefly considered timing it so we could spend a day at this event and hike in Vermont. After reviewing the agenda, I realized these folks, both the boys and other adults, were interested in spending our brief time together hiking, not sitting around listening to folks talk about hiking. They have learned quit a bit from our local overnight hikes and were ready to learn more on the trail, not in some 'classroom'.

This is not meant as a criticism, but more as a comment from one prospective attendee and how I view these type of events. That said, I often share relevant information regarding the history of the AT, how it is managed and maintained today, including a description of the ATC, local groups and volunteers.

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2009, 13:34
Tin Man:

A great many of the folks (perhaps most, in fact) in attendance at Castleton were long-time members of local Trail Clubs and also, long-time maintainers.

And I have nothing but the utmost respect for these people and their contributions to the Trail, which in many cases, preceded my birth.

But these good folks aren't going to be around forever. People get older. They retire. They move away from the Trail. And yes, it's sad, but eventually, their health fails and they die.

The reason I want to see more younger people taking an active part in the Trail and in Trail events is because the health of the Trail depends on an infusion of fresh blood, fresh energy, and fresh ideas.

Every 70-year-old maintainer I met at Castleton, and God bless 'em, they're amazing folks.....well, every one of these guys, once upon a time, was a 24-year old kid who'd never given much of a thought to being part of a Trail Club or volunteering to work on the Trail.

What I don't see the ATC doing is doing any sort of outreach towards the younger folks, especially the ones who are actually hiking the Trail. And Good Lord, reaching out to folks WHILE they are actually hiking on the A.T. is the perfect place to get them interested in the A.T.C. and its work. After all, when the trip is over, folks will have other things on their minds, and many of them will be broke. The last thing these young people will be thinking about is joining or donating to an organization, however worthy it might be.

But reaching out to these folks DURING their hikes is the perfect time to do it.

Will all of these folks be interested enough to join the ATC, or to join a local Trail club, or do maintenace? No, of course not everyone will.

But SOME of them will, and some of them will be the folks caring for the Trail decades from now.

But first you gotta ask 'em.

Tin Man
07-28-2009, 13:59
Jack,

I agree, but I also think that some of those younger long-distance hikers who passed by the event will join the maintainer ranks some day. That's probably where the older folks came from to begin with. I don't know how long folks like Hillwalker, who I have met, have been maintaining, but he doesn't appear to be slowed down by some number on a calendar.

In today's world, everything is much more rushed and is a do it now, do it for me, mentality. While, the younger crowd may have no time to learn about maintaining or participate now, they will be be back when they have time to reflect on those who came before and as time and committments permit. At least for me, that is my plan when I am past the child-rearing years. If that makes me an old maintainer, so be it. But with people living longer, older maintainers is going to be more prevalent, rather than less would be my guess. And I don't see it as a problem, since whenever there is a void, something comes in to fill it. I am confident that the trail will continue to be well maintained.

I know whenever I see people complaining about a down tree or a shelter in need of repair, I ask them what did they do to help and remind them that the trail is maintained by volunteers, who are always looking for new recruits. :)

Jeff
07-28-2009, 14:18
What I don't see the ATC doing is doing any sort of outreach towards the younger folks, especially the ones who are actually hiking the Trail. And Good Lord, reaching out to folks WHILE they are actually hiking on the A.T. is the perfect place to get them interested in the A.T.C. and its work. After all, when the trip is over, folks will have other things on their minds, and many of them will be broke. The last thing these young people will be thinking about is joining or donating to an organization, however worthy it might be. But first you gotta ask 'em.

ATC needs to study what Bob Peoples has been doing for years. He has done more to generate a desire to give back to the trail (especially among young hikers) than anyone else I know.

Minerva
07-28-2009, 14:35
First of all THANK YOU PEAKS for all the effort it took to pull off this successful event.

Jack, it appears I had a different experience than you did at the festival. It's not all gloom and doom for the ATC.

I met many young families last week. It began on Friday night when I was approached by a young couple pushing two strollers complete with two small children. "Mrs Gorp!!" they exclaimed, "We met you ten years ago in southern Vermont on the Trail". They're now married, have two babies and living in Minnesota. They came east just for the festival and to celebrate the 10th anniversary of completing their thru-hike.

Perhaps one reason you didn't see more youthful adults in the room on Friday evening is because those who are parents, were being responsible and would not bring their fussy and tired children to 8pm opening remark ceremonies; which is probably a good thing for everyone :-). Another reason, not everyone showed up to register on Friday. There was a good registration turnout on Saturday as well.

I had five children attend three of the four hikes I lead, ranging in age from 14 to 8.

The ATC IS interested in attracting new people. There were at least four workshops on this topic. I wish I could have attended the programs on "Trail To Every Classroom (TTEC) I and II", but was out on the Trail leading a hike. These looked like two good workshops to share outreach skills at the local level for communities along the Trail and get local youth involved in all types of Trail activities.

Three days prior to the festival, I was refreshing paint blazes on a section of Trail here in Wallingford. I attempted to get some of the 2009 hikers to come to Castleton. Eleven thru-hikers passed by (nine AT, two LT). I asked each to help paint a blaze. Everyone was thrilled to help paint, but when I asked if they wanted to come to the festival to be a part of a thru-hiking panel, not one wanted to interrupt their hike.

I thought that Tiger Bomb, a thru-hiker panelist, the woman who sat three or four chairs to Jack's left was a current year hiker. She was hiking in either NH or Maine and she came to festival with Geezer.
MrsGorp

Peaks
07-28-2009, 16:43
Um, Peaks, regarding Castleton, I did more than criticize. I volunteered to help out around 15 seconds after I arrived on campus and spent the next few days doing anything I was asked to, including serving as a greeter at the tent campsite; taking part in different workshops/events; and taking several hours to help folks break down and pack up their displays at the end of the weekend. In fact, I skipped the annual Business Meeting to do this. So yeah, I actually did more than simply criticize the event.

That being said, I still stand by my comments, I've forwarded them along to Harpers Ferry, and I hope somebody considers the points I raised and does something about it. As for 2011, I don't know where I'll be during the next Bi-Ennial, and I'm seldom in Virginia at that point of the year, but if I can, of course I'll attend the event. After all, somebody's gotta help with the heavy lifting, and a lot of the blue-hairs in attendance might not be up to it.

Jack, comment posted on WB was not in any way directed to you. And I appologize if I inferred it. Yes, upon arrival, you did come right up and offer assistance. And you continued to help make the week a success for all attendees. Thanks for pitching in.

Peaks
07-28-2009, 16:48
Is the date near when any number of thrus will be in the area? .

First full week in July 2011, long after most thrus have long passed. That makes it roughly 6 weeks after Trail Days which is in the same area.

ki0eh
07-28-2009, 20:06

I do appreciate your point, having made similar requests to help light a candle rather than curse the darkness, in the past. I do hope that requests and sugestions are welcome, knowing by necessity in volunteer organizations that those suggestions backed by actual willingness to work, are weighted more heavily.

Although I am usually loath to advertise my volunteer resume, I do have a bit of an idea of the work that goes into a biennial meeting. I was on the hikes committee for Shippensburg in 2001. What started out as a couple of meetings two years before turned into me scouting, writing directions, and compiling maps for 40 of the hikes, and leading 5 (including the very first to leave the parking lot for the entire conference), amounting to over 200 volunteer hours. It would not be reasonably possible for me to work on a meeting in SW Va, some eight hours' drive one way from my home in PA, since I work full time and have a family in addition to continuing involvement in many other aspects of trail work.

Believe me, as someone who has been trying for years to lead a family hiking program in an A.T.-maintaining club, with little help and all-to-rare glimpses of appreciative kids and parents, I can also understand there are many reasons simply to give up on embracing and accommodating youth on our beloved Trail. I do continue to hope that the Trail community can somehow learn to embrace our future, else we won't have one. Every day I wish I had more time, talent, and ideas to further this cause.

Thanks to all who have worked for years on the biennial meeting in Castleton! And, please, let's all find ways to work together to welcome younger and darker America on the Trail that's part of all of our shared heritage.

Cookerhiker
07-29-2009, 21:59
This is my first internet & WB access since returning from the Conference (I've been hiking in Maine & the Whites) and I want to add my belated thanks to the GMC and all those who helped put the conference on. Events like these involve countless details which I believe the GMC and ATC staffs handled admirably.

I found the college staff very helpful and one important point: this was the first of the 3 ATC conferences I've attended that they had enough coffee every morning, even the first morning!

It was great to see some old friends/aquaintances and meet some new people.

Now about that rain the first night...

Peaks
07-30-2009, 07:47
I found the college staff very helpful and one important point: this was the first of the 3 ATC conferences I've attended that they had enough coffee every morning, even the first morning!

Now about that rain the first night...

I'm told it was 75 gallons every morning.

Red Wolf
07-30-2009, 17:12
:welcome COUNTDOWN ~ ~ RUTLAND LONG TRAIL FESTIVAL
CAMPGROUND OPENS FRIDAY AUG. 7 ( 1 WEEK ! ! ! )

by-the-by : If you want to see this year's thru-hikers at
a " trail event " AND outreach being done, then
come and join us at this event's THIRD YEAR.
Kinkora Bob will be there to supervise the
3 rd. Rutland Hardcore / Worktrip with patches
given out and our own Baltimore Jack cooking the
supper for those who participate ( I think the work
will be a new roof for the Jenny Brook Shelter ).
---HAPPY TRAILS !
-- Red Wolf o'da Smoky's:clap

Jeff
07-30-2009, 17:33
( I think the work
will be a new roof for the Jenny Brook Shelter ).
---HAPPY TRAILS !
-- Red Wolf o'da Smoky's:clap

Not familiar with this shelter...does it go by another name??????

Jack Tarlin
07-30-2009, 17:41
Unless its brand new, I'm also unfamiliar with "Jenny Brook" shelter on the Long Trail.

I was under the impression that the Trail maintenance project for Rutland Hardcore would center on the Tucker Johnson shelter, just north of Sherburne Pass and Maine Junction, i.e. where the LT and AT divide.

Red Wolf
07-31-2009, 12:16
:-?Jack, you are probably correct as I was not sure of the exact shelter since I
caught the name of it in passing conversation with Hatter . It definitely would be one close to Rutland and the Festival. I 'll E Mad Hatter today and find out definitely.
-Red Wolf

Mad Hatter
07-31-2009, 16:42
The main project for this year's Rutland Hard-Core is roofing Tucker Johnson, or TuJo to the trail crews. We are also looking at building puncheon on the spur to Deer's Leap if there is workforce interested in help there. Come on out and have some fun. For the record Bob Peoples I guess will be the senior foreman on the job, Dave Hardy is the Green Mountain Club Director of Field Services who is paying for the materials, and will be on hand to help where necessary.
Mad Hatter

Red Wolf
08-01-2009, 13:00
:welcome COUNT-DOWN : ~ 6 DAYS !

ENCAMPMENT OPEN - FRIDAY 8 / 7

MUSIC ALL DAY SATURDAY !

Red Wolf
08-03-2009, 16:14
:D COME TO THE GREEN MTS. OF VT

COUNTDOWN ~ 4 DAYS UNTIL THE ENCAMPMENT OPENS !

see ~ www.rutlandlongtrailfestival.com (http://www.rutlandlongtrailfestival.com)
:jump

Red Wolf
08-06-2009, 06:43
:sun RUTLAND LONG TRAIL FESTIVAL
ENCAMPMENT REGISTRATION AT 12 NOON TOMORROW (FRI.)
MUSIC,PRESENTATIONS,EXHIBITS,ALL ACTIVITIES SATURDAY
RUTLAND 3rd. HARDCORE WORKTRIP SUNDAY

FUN FOR ALL AGES ! ~ ALL ACTIVIES FREE !

ShoelessWanderer
08-06-2009, 08:08
So excited that it's coming to VA! And Ned Kuhns is a great guy, I'm sure he'll do a great job!

Red Wolf
08-10-2009, 17:33
:sun 3rd. Rutland Long Trail Festival cleared out this AM after a big
weekend of hiker fun,excellent music,vendors,exhibits,and presentations.
Many local people came out and mixed with the hikers (mostly the
current crop straight from the trail ). Although still in its' infancy,this
Rutland Long Trail Festival has a good base of 3 years on which to
grow . The local paper gave a glowing report ....a pic of a trail dog
turned "Spencer" into a celebrity about town Sunday afternoon. One
fellow even wanted to dip his paw onto an ink pad and get his autograph
on his pic ! It was great to see the good relations between the
towns-people and the hiker community. Bob Peoples and Dave Hardy lead the Rutland Hardcore work-trip and Baltimore Jack cooked one superb
pasta dinner for them. Mrs. Gorp did a workshop presentation,as well as
did a few others including myself ( 2 films ) . Wayne and Kathy Krevetski,
the festival co-ordinators, put on another excellent festival and received
many compliments. Plans are already underway for next year's !

Peaks
08-11-2009, 08:31
So excited that it's coming to VA! And Ned Kuhns is a great guy, I'm sure he'll do a great job!

Volunteer. He's going to need all the good help he can get. It's a massive undertaking.

Blue Jay
08-11-2009, 09:15
Volunteer. He's going to need all the good help he can get. It's a massive undertaking.

Just curious, did any ATC officials work the Long Trail Festival or the Hardcore the next day? I forgot to ask? Did any representative even show up, it was only a week later? Just wondering, because there sure were plenty of young hikers volunteering?

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2009, 12:14
In fairness, Jay, a lot of ATC people, including senior officials, devoted a great deal of time (up to a week in some cases) to the Bi-ennial conference in Castleton; many of them worked hard for months and months ahead of time in order to plan the eventm and many of them travelled great distances in order to attend it. If these exact same folks weren't able to travel all the way back to Vermont just two weeks later on for another trail event, well I'm not sure this is something to hold against them.

Peaks
08-11-2009, 16:41
Just curious, did any ATC officials work the Long Trail Festival or the Hardcore the next day? I forgot to ask? Did any representative even show up, it was only a week later? Just wondering, because there sure were plenty of young hikers volunteering?

It's the Long Trail Festival, not the Appalachain Trail Festival. Green Mountain Club was there. They are the builders, maintainers, and protectors of the Long Trail. And yes, the same GMC staff that was at the AT Festival was also at the Long Trail Festival.

ATC has closed their Lyme NH office, and only has minimal staff at the Sheffield office. So, it's a long way for anyone on staff at ATC to attend.

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2009, 17:14
It should be added that I personally know of some very senior folks at ATC who work as Trail maintainers, as well as supporting the ATC with very significant financial assistance.

The implication that ATC "officials" don't contribute to, or don't take part in Trail events; don't do Trail maintenance; and don't take part in other efforts in support of the Trail......well this is simply untrue.

Many of them do, and they don't seek credit or recognition for it, either.

wakapak
08-11-2009, 17:42
Just curious, what was the Rutland Hardcore this year??

Jeff
08-11-2009, 17:46
One project was fixing up and putting a new roof on Tucker-Johnson Shelter located on the LT just north of Maine Jct.

wakapak
08-11-2009, 17:48
One project was fixing up and putting a new roof on Tucker-Johnson Shelter located on the LT just north of Maine Jct.

Awesome!! I had a great time doing the Rutland Hardcore last year, wish we could have been there again this year, but alas, real life has settled in. :)

Jeff
08-11-2009, 18:29
Awesome!! I had a great time doing the Rutland Hardcore last year, wish we could have been there again this year, but alas, real life has settled in. :)

I thought "real life" was long distance hiking!!!;)

boarstone
08-11-2009, 19:02
Speaking of youth programs, a concerted outreach program to younger hikers sure wouldn't hurt, either. This includes contemporary long-distance hikers. Having the Bi-ennial in Casteton in mid-July was an absolutely perfect opportunity to reach out to the 2009 hikers. That being said, if there was ONE person at the Bi-ennial presently hiking the A.T. or Long Trail, well I didn't see them. A hikers Forum that had originally planned to feature some 2009 hikers made due with hikers from other years, as NO 2009 hikers could be found. The Forum turned out just fine, but it was pretty ridiculous that no present-day long-distance hikers attended this event, while there were probably close to 20 of them just a few miles away in Rutland while the conference was going on.

In short, it doesn't seem to me that the present day A.T.C. is remotely interested in attracting new people, and this is a shame. It's also bad for the organization: Every year, the ATC loses long-time members, donors, trail club members, and maintainers. But if they're reaching out at all to younger hikers, I saw no evidence of this in Castleton: On opening night, looking around an auditorium with more than 500 people in it, I remarked to several friends that not counting a handful of very young children there with their parents, I didn't see 10 people in the room under the age of 45. I tell you, it's a weird feeling when I attend an event, and I'm one of the youngest people in the room. Honestly, it looked like an AARP conventionl, with Gore-Tex.

For the ATC to thrive, this MUST change, and the people running the organization better wake up and realize this. There were some wonderful, very committed folks in Castleton, many of whom have done remarkable work for the ATC for years. But while decades of service is a great thing, and deserves to be honored, what's gonna happen when these people are gone?

I hope someone in Harpers Ferry sees this.

No young people have the money to donate to the ATC!

Lone Wolf
08-11-2009, 20:28
No young people have the money to donate to the ATC!

but plenty of cash for dope, alcohol and cigarettes as they walk north

Lauriep
08-11-2009, 21:38
ATC applauds Wayne and Kathy's efforts with the Long Trail Festival and would have loved to have sent a representative. Right now we're short-staffed, with only two staff members to cover the entire 725 miles of the New England region.

Laurie P.
ATC

Old Hillwalker
08-12-2009, 07:45
ATC applauds Wayne and Kathy's efforts with the Long Trail Festival and would have loved to have sent a representative. Right now we're short-staffed, with only two staff members to cover the entire 725 miles of the New England region.

Laurie P.
ATC

Gee, I wonder why you are short staffed:mad:

Blue Jay
08-12-2009, 11:27
It should be added that I personally know of some very senior folks at ATC who work as Trail maintainers, as well as supporting the ATC with very significant financial assistance.

The implication that ATC "officials" don't contribute to, or don't take part in Trail events; don't do Trail maintenance; and don't take part in other efforts in support of the Trail......well this is simply untrue.

No, no I was not implying senior folks at ATC don't contribute or in any way do not contribute to the AT. In many ways they ARE the AT in every single area from financial to trail maintenance. I am also well aware of the various ATC croos such as the Konnarock are often quite youthful. I was commenting on the fact that this was a "youthful" event, from the music, to the majority of the hardcore. If the AT wants to attract nonAARP members they could have learned something at the Long Trail Festival.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2009, 11:36
the long trail festival is a party just like trail days

Blue Jay
08-12-2009, 11:40
By the way the organizational skills of Mad Hatter and Mrs. Hatter are nothing short of astounding. Everything from the camping to the venders to the music, building and removing the stage, the various discussions and films all come off seemingly effortless. Anyone who has ever been involved with even smaller events is aware that this is almost impossible and yet it has happened all 3 years. I was a little worried about security as they looked like security at Altimont during a Rolling Stones concert, however even they were the perfect balance of freedom and control which actually added to the enjoyment of the event. The music all day was teriffic and as it got dark Gelatin Offramp took the stage. A strange group that takes strange songs and makes it impossible to not to dance hard and laugh at the same time. He may well deny it, but I'm sure I saw Mr. Tarlin dance a few steps. The final group Avi & Celia were as talented musicians as I have ever heard. I know most of you only listen to moldy oldies over and over and over for decades however next years LT Festival just might change that. :sun

Blue Jay
08-12-2009, 11:44
the long trail festival is a party just like trail days

Yes, a kick ass party, but with great music, camping not in a swamp but perfect lawn, and no stealing.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2009, 11:49
and no stealing.

give it time. the festival is young

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2009, 19:19
Hey Wolf, I don't know if you're trolling, being mean spirited, or are just plain ignorant.

In regards to your comments about the Long Trail Festival being "just another party", please tell us all which ones you've personally attended.

The Long Trail Festival is an entirely different sort of event than Trail Days, and people who actually attended it would confirm this.

And people who didn't actually attend it.......well, their opinion and three more cents might buy them a piece of Bazooka.