PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking on the trail

Jayboflavin04
03-07-2009, 11:23
Anyone quit smoking on the trail?

warraghiyagey
03-07-2009, 11:51
I never smoked in my life. . . went on the trail and had a discussion about this very same topic, me relating what I dumb move it would be to start smoking on the trail. Three weeks later I was. . . :confused::rolleyes: Woops. . .

the goat
03-07-2009, 12:02
if you quit smoking on the trail, you'll be the first hiker in history to do so.

vonfrick
03-07-2009, 12:16
me and warrghy left abol bridge sobo last summer with a pack each. amazingly enough we made it out of the hundred mile still in love. by monson we were talking about having cigarette sandwiches and pizza with cigarettes and....

Slo-go'en
03-07-2009, 12:26
You'd think it would be easy to quit on the trail, but it ain't so. It's just as hard as anywhere else.

Way back in '89 I was hiking in NC and smoking roll-ur-owns. I realised if I kept that up, I'd never make it out of the state so I quit. That lasted about 2 weeks. Then I met a girl who was smoking like a chimney and happy to share. That was the end of that.

JAK
03-07-2009, 12:43
My grandfather had to quite smoking in his 50s because the effects of smoking for 30 odd years and having been gassed at Passchendaele Creek were catching up to him. He quit by going for a walk in the woods for 2 weeks, but he went alone. Even his dog had the good sense not to go with him.

I quit myself about 10 years ago. If alot of people smoke on the AT there would be a pretty good chance I would start up again. People like a certain comraderie, especially when doing stuff like hiking, or the military, and so if others smoke it is very appealing to do so in those sorts of situations. There might be better trails to stop smoking. You would need to be very mindful of the company you keep. Shame really, because smokers are very often the best people, because their need for comraderie often seems greater.

If people smoke on the trail I would need to be more anti-social than I already am.
If I ever do smoke again it might be a pipe. I've heard thats a little less damaging.

Ender
03-07-2009, 12:53
I've never seen anyone quit on the trail, but I've seen a few people start smoking on the trail.

ChinMusic
03-07-2009, 13:11
You could switch to brownies.

TD55
03-07-2009, 13:39
If you don't smoke, are confident you won't start and on a low budget, carry some packs of smokes. Best barter item on the trail, 2nd only to coffee.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2009, 13:43
i'd bring a carton to Springer every year and sell them $10 per pack.

garlic08
03-07-2009, 14:59
I've never seen anyone quit on the trail, but I've seen a few people start smoking on the trail.

Ditto that. Hikers who smoke just seem to enjoy it so damn much, it almost makes me jealous.

And what is it with all the roll-yer-owns out there? Is just the image, or is there a benefit while hiking?

the goat
03-07-2009, 15:08
And what is it with all the roll-yer-owns out there? Is just the image, or is there a benefit while hiking?
no butts to pack out, and they're cheap.

TD55
03-07-2009, 15:14
Ditto

...And what is it with all the roll-yer-owns out there? Is just the image, or is there a benefit while hiking?

Easier to ration. You can roll little skinnys or big fattys. Cheaper and takes up less space than packs. Also, duel purpose. Mixed with willow, etc., you can make your own kinnicinik.

The_RD_Less_Trvld
03-07-2009, 22:33
Easier to ration. You can roll little skinnys or big fattys. Cheaper and takes up less space than packs. Also, duel purpose. Mixed with willow, etc., you can make your own kinnicinik.

Whats kinnicinik?:confused:

Blissful
03-07-2009, 22:40
We had a hiker friend in '07 trying to quit. Don't think he was able.

warraghiyagey
03-07-2009, 22:43
Weight to quantity ratio benefit and no filters to pack out, easier to store, cigs don't get crushed. . . that's about it. . .

modiyooch
03-07-2009, 22:45
If I ever do smoke again it might be a pipe. I've heard thats a little less damaging. But just as addictive. It was amazing how addicted my 18 year old got from starting with the pipe.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-07-2009, 22:58
I was thinking about quitting on the trail, but then I realized that I would need to quit before I hit the trail. If you think about how it is when you are trying to quit smoking, you want a cigarette all day long and every day. Well, I figure it's probably going to be the same feeling when it comes to the thru-hike... I'm sure there will be days telling me to quit, nagging me to quit all day long, but I won't quit. Except you're supposed to quit smoking... I'm about 36 hours in and I can honestly say I'd rather get dropped off at Springer bare naked with a 100lb pack of sand and a cigarette in my hand than to quit smoking, but it's just something that has to be done.

rickb
03-07-2009, 22:58
if you quit smoking on the trail, you'll be the first hiker in history to do so.

Now that's funny!

High Life
03-07-2009, 23:07
i start smoking on the trail , its the only way to do 34 mile days

chrishowe11
03-07-2009, 23:19
i just recently quit smoking on a semester course I took, if you go to a co-op or any health food store and get toothpicks called tea-tree sticks you can get different flavors either cinnamon or tea tree oil. it a great thing to help quit because they are VERY strongly flavored and it gives you somthing to do with your hands its a hard thing to do and its been 4 months for me and everytime I see one i want it so bad but it just comes down to what you want... if you really want to quit you will, if you don't really care you wont. after a week its all in your head good luck to ya and for your sake please quit

Wheeler
03-07-2009, 23:21
I thought I'd quit. Said to myself "no way you'll be able to smoke while climbing up and down mtn's for 2k miles'- I'm still smoking. I'm hiking the PCT this year and now I'm saying "no way you'll be able to smoke while climbing up an down mtn's of that elevation"
Talk to you in October.

Wheeler
03-07-2009, 23:22
i just recently quit smoking on a semester course I took, if you go to a co-op or any health food store and get toothpicks called tea-tree sticks you can get different flavors either cinnamon or tea tree oil. it a great thing to help quit because they are VERY strongly flavored and it gives you somthing to do with your hands its a hard thing to do and its been 4 months for me and everytime I see one i want it so bad but it just comes down to what you want... if you really want to quit you will, if you don't really care you wont. after a week its all in your head good luck to ya and for your sake please quit

Tea Tree oil in my mouth? Uh, I dumped that hippie chick a long time ago.

phishpapond
03-08-2009, 00:54
You could switch to brownies.
Wrong kind of smoke I think.

I bumed around SNP for about awhile last. ended up going from big meadows to RT 522. I spent the night at each hut alond the way Rock Spring, Pass MT, Gravel Spring, [that's were I met the tesbag] and
Tom Floyd.I didn't smoke the whole time and didn;t want one. A woman named I met while hiking gave me a ride back to big meadow. I was metting somepeople to do a little Blue Blazing. Whrn they drop me off something in me clicked. I could have went thru the Steelers D-line on my way to the counter for a pack of smokes.
Still pissed about buying that pack.

TD55
03-08-2009, 04:36
Whats kinnicinik?:confused:

I might be spelling it wrong. It's a blend of dried vegetation originaly created and used by Native Americans for smoking. Tobacco and willow are two of the three major ingredients. The third one is illegal in most places, but sort of legal in some places with a medical perscription. You can make up your own reciepe, but ofcourse, don't use the illegal substance unless you are somewhere it is legal with a perscription, and you have a perscription.

TD55
03-08-2009, 04:44
Just so there is no misunderstanding, there are lots of legal herbs and veggies that can be blended with tobacco and willow.

Jayboflavin04
03-08-2009, 09:53
Well, I wanna quit! I quit for nine months a couple years ago. I used the puffers to quit(Nicotrol inhalers). I still have a stash of them. I plan taking these with me on my section hike. The puffers are great, they give you that instant satisfaction you want! The bad thing is looks like you have an OB tampon hangin outta your mouth. I didnt have a problem with addiction replacement, they taste crappy, and well they just arent the same. After bout a month I am usually bout done with them. OHH, and gum I usually chew sooo much gum that my jaw and teeth begin to hurt. I will be the dude out there with his jaw flappin at 1000 mph.

The big problem is I will be with a couple smokers!

Pony
03-08-2009, 10:45
I quit smoking at the Approach trail.....

but then started again at Neels Gap.

Kathfishes
03-08-2009, 12:10
Please, quit! It ain't easy, but try everything..patches, gum, Chantix finially worked the 3rd time I tried it. Long story short...I fell in love with backpacking 15 yrs ago at SNP doing Blue Blazes...(RipRap, Doyles, Old Rag my favs), and deciede that I would one day, when I retired, try to thru hike the AT. I've always been a pretty healthy person get maybe only 2 colds a year, pretty good when you work with kids! Suddenly in November almost what seemed overnight. I became congested, 2 days latter I couldn't walk to the car to go to the Dr. Rushed to the hospital in resportatory failure on life support. I had double penemonia. They also found I have pretty bad COPD/Cronich Broncittis and Asthma. I now have a bunch of medications. Well I screwed myself by smoking for 40 yrs. My Dr. thinks I've lost my mind because I told him yesterday I WILL BE HIKING IN JUNE. He says NO WAY can I hike...(bad knee and back too!) Wrong.. I'm gonna at least try to section it. This stuff will only get progressivly worse..If I don't try NOW..I know I won't be able to in he future. So if you truely love being out there on the trail..QUIT NOW.
Kathfishes

Lion King
03-08-2009, 12:56
I started smoking on the trail in 98.

Quit a couple of years ago though. Its easier then people think.

bobbyw
03-08-2009, 13:09
I knew I shouldn't be smoking on the trail because I'm trying to be healthier.. so I pretty much quit (I can count the packs if cigarettes I've smoked in 2009 on one hand). Once I'm out on the trail, on a fixed income of sorts, I won't be smoking at all.

Jim Adams
03-08-2009, 14:30
I smoked 2 1/2 packs per day on both of my thru hikes. Also smoked a pipe, cigars and chewed snuff. I quit smoking 5 years ago next month. Quiting the smoking wasn't hard for me...just did it cold turkey...I was tired of coughing. I quit chewing snuff on my 2002 thru and it was the hardest thing that I've ever done.
The pipe is actually worse for your health...the inhaled smoke is far more dense and the chance of mouth cancer is about the same as chewing tobacco.

geek

Sleepy the Arab
03-08-2009, 15:34
i'd bring a carton to Springer every year and sell them $10 per pack.

For years I've been meaning to start my hikes with a carton, and then bribing the "quitters" a few cigs to carry my tent up the next big hill.

esteban
03-08-2009, 16:01
second the flavored toothpicks. I recently quit after six years of smoking a pack a day. It helped me having something to chew on, plus the flavored ones are made from hard wood so they last a long time. Quitting while hiking is near impossible if you ask me. I tried and ending up bumming from my friend for three days. He was not happy.

medicjimr
03-08-2009, 16:25
I quit 6 months ago smoked 2 packs a day pall mall non filters for 20 years quit cold turkey after I thought what was a heart attack was'nt but still the motivation I needed. Now if I can loose some weight well I wll be like flynn.

modiyooch
03-08-2009, 17:23
oddly enough, thru hiking the trail is a mental challenge. Quitting the cancer stick is a mental challenge. Why is it one can master the trail, but cannot master the very costly, nasty, and harmful habit of smoking?

ChinMusic
03-08-2009, 18:07
oddly enough, thru hiking the trail is a mental challenge. Quitting the cancer stick is a mental challenge. Why is it one can master the trail, but cannot master the very costly, nasty, and harmful habit of smoking?
I certainly can't answer that. I just can't figure out why someone would start in the first place.

TD55
03-08-2009, 19:10
It is easier to quit smoking, or not start, once you figure out that smoking is for weak loosers who end up costing everyone money when they get sick and start racking up huge medical bills.

middle to middle
03-08-2009, 19:15
just do it. Stop, that is.

stranger
03-08-2009, 22:07
Generally I've seen this over the years - people attempt to quit smoking while on the trail, it makes sense I guess, I mean who would want to smoke while hiking... but what I've noticed is that many long distance hikers smoke for some reason, and those who are attempting to quit start to bum smokes off those who do smoke, and they don't really end up quitting. Perhaps by bumming smokes, instead of buying them, they are kidding themsevles into thinking they are not smoking, but to be honest it's a pain in the ass for those of us who buy our own smokes.

I want to quit smoking, I did it for 3 years when I was younger, but I wouldn't attempt it while on a hike, it would have to be prior for me atleast.

My two cents

TnSlowPoke
03-08-2009, 23:47
Iam a smoker and just had to bring this up.... I roll my own and I did try to quit smoking 3 times this year but no such luck. It is a VERY ADDICTIVE drug(Nicotine)It was 100 easier for me to kick the cocaine habit then the nicotine.. that is the truth. But our new President has raise the tax on a one lb of roll your own tobacco by get this now $25.00 per lb as of april 1, 2009 I was paying $17 per lb . and the papers for 115 will be $1.89. But I will keep on trying to quit some way some how.

lingo
03-09-2009, 02:15
I am going to quit myself. I catch hell from friends now. We will go on a 10+ mile bike ride and will have a cig hanging out of my mouth when we hit the trail. they don't see how I can keep up with them. I will probably have some high test with me I start. I won't take any cigs with me though. I am going to use the trail to detox my body of Nicotine and Alcohol. I know it will be around. I am going to drink while I am on the trail. I just need to cut back. I have just started seeing a chick too that doesn't smoke. That will be a good influence on me as well. I don't want to smell like an ashtray when I am with her. Good luck to those trying to quit. I will be right there with you.

pittmad
03-09-2009, 08:51
as I'm sure most people have told you already, you'll probably end up smoking more while on the trail. it's a great reward at the end of a long day when rewards are few and far between. there's nothing better than hiking 20+ miles then having a smoke while cooking your dinner and relaxing. I quit AFTER I got done hiking!

Bare Bear
03-09-2009, 12:13
I found that if I slowed down I stopped smoking, but my feet still hurt. Strange topic.

Newb
03-09-2009, 13:27

Wrong. I quit smoking the day before I hiked in 2006. The hike helped me motivate and quit. I haven't had a cigarette since.

BlazeWalker
03-09-2009, 13:51
Get on the Commits. They're just like mints w/ nicotine in em. I think they help take the edge off. I just started them last week. so far so good. A little pricey though. In my opinion it's all in the mind. You have to wanna quit.

quietly
03-09-2009, 15:00
May 5, 2007, I put the cigarettes down. Walked into the woods above Cosby with a couple of friends (one who smokes) and no Marlboros with me. I am told I was not pleasant to be around for the next few weeks. But, on that which was my third try, I succeeded. Haven't smoked since.

Not sure that I would recommend quitting on the trail though. It was pretty much a snap decision, anyone who smokes and hikes knows how nasty the butts get in a ziplock bag. I guess I was finally sufficiently disgusted to quit.

Almost two years later, I still want one everyday. Worst addiction there is. The craving doesn't go away, you just get used to it.

modiyooch
03-10-2009, 07:42
as I'm sure most people have told you already, you'll probably end up smoking more while on the trail. it's a great reward at the end of a long day when rewards are few and far between. there's nothing better than hiking 20+ miles then having a smoke while cooking your dinner and relaxing. I quit AFTER I got done hiking!another reward would be that deep, uncomprimising breath of fresh air. can't beat it. I just don't understand the justifications for smoking. And yes, I have smoked at one time but that was over 30 years ago. I never have the urge to smoke. drink, yes; but smoke, no

Kanati
03-10-2009, 23:50
Anyone quit smoking on the trail?

I wasn't going to post on this thread as I never liked taking advise so I try not to give out any. But, I feel compelled to say something. Last year on my hike I met so many fine young people enjoying climbing the mountains and walking all day and spending their endless energy with their friends. I was surprised at just how many were smoking on their breaks and at the end of the day and first thing in the morning. It bothered me a lot because I don't think many of them realize what they've got themselves into. When you reach 40 you will start to feel the drag on your body from using tobacco. When you get 50 you will probably not be able to hike very far and will find yourself skipping the hills. When you get 60, if you're still alive your hiking will probably be over. Your quality of life will be reduced to nil. You will probably not live much past this. I seen it happen to too many people. There are exceptions, but not many. The odds are greatly stacked against you.

I witnessed this first hand with my dad and other people his age. He was a smoker from his youth. I used to worry so much about him because I knew it was killing him. And it did. He took cancer in his late 50's and was gone by 63. His quality of life for several years prior to his getting cancer was reduced to almost nothing.

If you don't mind my saying it, I urge you to do whatever it takes to stop smoking. You are not the only one who loses when you are gone.

I smoked for 3 years. I was drafted into the Army in 1966 at 19 years of age and within a few days I was smoking. After my two years of service was up, I knew I wanted to quit smoking as I could see what it was doing to my Dad. It took me a full year and several trys to make it stick but I did it, and so can you. Today, I can hike or work all day and my friends who still smoke are reduced to just sitting and smoking. There's not much else they are able to do.

You just have to realize the importantance, not only to yourself but to all the others who love you. You can do it. Don't put it off.

Thanks, and happy hiking. Another mountain awaits. :sun

the goat
03-10-2009, 23:57
i start smoking on the trail , its the only way to do 34 mile days

just promise yourself a cig every 4 or 5 miles, and it's amazing what the human body is capable of!

Rockhound
03-11-2009, 00:13
If I saw somebody just give up cigarettes cold turkey while on the trail I would have to label that person a quitter. There's no way they would make it to Maine.

quietly
03-11-2009, 02:08
Last year on my hike I met so many fine young people enjoying climbing the mountains and walking all day and spending their endless energy with their friends. I was surprised at just how many were smoking on their breaks and at the end of the day and first thing in the morning. It bothered me a lot because I don't think many of them realize what they've got themselves into. When you reach 40 you will start to feel the drag on your body from using tobacco.

Amen.. I smoked for twenty years, was soo easy to ignore the toll it takes on the cardio, etc. Till age (or maybe milage) catches up, then one day (well as it happened to me) you realize you are making a serious mistake when you reach that summit all out of breath, and the first thing you want to do is light up.

Or maybe like I said earlier, you just get disgusted with it.

If I saw somebody just give up cigarettes cold turkey while on the trail I would have to label that person a quitter. There's no way they would make it to Maine.

Nah, gotta respectfully disagree. I swear I would walk 2K miles with 100 pounds on my back if I thought that would make me immune from the affects of a pack a day. No question in my mind.. I love to smoke, this I know about myself. If I believed not quitting would make me somehow tougher, then I suppose I woulda used that as justification not to. But it won't, damn it. And I got heart disease in the family, and Grampa and Uncle Jim died of lung cancer.. No, I believe in playing the odds. Much as I wanna (and I do wanna, every day), there's just no future for me in smoking.

My $.02

ColdFire
03-11-2009, 05:06
I quit cold turkey 2 years ago after smoking for more then 20+ years, I don't miss it at all. I miss smoking pot more then anything and I quit that over 20+ years ago lol, thats kinda weird I guess.... :cool:

DapperD
03-11-2009, 11:37
Yul Brynner said it right when he urged everyone in his final years "Whatever you do, just Don't Smoke!" In Jacylyn Roger's book "SmokeEnders" it is stated that one can gain 100 pounds on top of their ideal weight and still not do the damage 1 pack of cigarettes a day inflicts. I smoked for nearly 15 years, when desperate to quit after failed attempts I discovered her book and a great gadget called "LifeSign", a smoking cessation program that, rather than quitting cold turkey(which works for some but not all), used a tapering off and habit breaking and reforming approach that worked for me. I have been smoke free nearly 20 years now and doubt I would be able to enjoy life or for that matter even be around today if it wasn't possible for me to successfully defeat the urge to smoke.

Rockhound
03-11-2009, 11:54
Amen.. I smoked for twenty years, was soo easy to ignore the toll it takes on the cardio, etc. Till age (or maybe milage) catches up, then one day (well as it happened to me) you realize you are making a serious mistake when you reach that summit all out of breath, and the first thing you want to do is light up.

Or maybe like I said earlier, you just get disgusted with it.

Nah, gotta respectfully disagree. I swear I would walk 2K miles with 100 pounds on my back if I thought that would make me immune from the affects of a pack a day. No question in my mind.. I love to smoke, this I know about myself. If I believed not quitting would make me somehow tougher, then I suppose I woulda used that as justification not to. But it won't, damn it. And I got heart disease in the family, and Grampa and Uncle Jim died of lung cancer.. No, I believe in playing the odds. Much as I wanna (and I do wanna, every day), there's just no future for me in smoking.

My $.02
Once again nobody gets my sense of humor. Actually I feel quitting smoking is much more difficult than thru-hiking. If anything I think the ability to quit smoking would increase ones chances on completing a thru-hike. It requires a great deal of determination, perseverance and will power. Good luck with both endeavors.

the goat
03-11-2009, 12:29

Wrong. I quit smoking the day before I hiked in 2006. The hike helped me motivate and quit. I haven't had a cigarette since.

looks like you didn't quit on the trail then?

Kanati
03-11-2009, 18:25
Once again nobody gets my sense of humor. Actually I feel quitting smoking is much more difficult than thru-hiking. If anything I think the ability to quit smoking would increase ones chances on completing a thru-hike. It requires a great deal of determination, perseverance and will power. Good luck with both endeavors.

Actually I got it. Knew you had to be kidding. :sun

Frosty
03-11-2009, 19:01
But I will keep on trying to quit some way some how.If at first you don't succeed, quit and quit again. If I can quit, anyone can. It just takes a lot of quiting. You never know that this time might be the one.

DapperD
03-11-2009, 20:01
If at first you don't succeed, quit and quit again. If I can quit, anyone can. It just takes a lot of quiting. You never know that this time might be the one.Like someone once said, "It's easy to quit smoking! Iv'e done it lots of times!:D

Deadeye
03-11-2009, 23:28
I used to try to quit on the trail by starting out with half a pack and heading off for a week-long hike.

Great way to ruin your hike. I usually wound up getting to a town after half a day without smokes.

I did finally quit after 30 years, but I wouldn't recommend quitting on the trail. Quit before, or quit after, but don't try to do something that difficult and miserable while trying to enjoy a hike.

quietly
03-11-2009, 23:34

Nah, I get your sense of humor, and appreciate it :D Also there's at least one person on WB to whom I owe a huge debt of gratitude for maintaining an excellent sense of humor while I was quitting. Of course she did threaten to beat me with hiking poles if I started smoking again... :eek:

Stir Fry
03-11-2009, 23:51
My wife a I sectioned from Springer to Franklin in 2004. both quit on the aproach trail. Smoke free to this day.

Oms
03-12-2009, 06:57
I smoked for 21 years. I tried many times to quite, but have no will power. I was tired of coughing when I laughed, going outside in the cold to smoke (didn't smoke in the house), and I wanted to see my kids grow up. I started on some meds the doctor prescribed and also wore the patch for a few weeks. About the same time a friend of mine, who also smokes,(same age) who is in great shape has a heart attack. That was the last day I smoked. Once I stopped I knew one thing for sure and that is "I CAN'T HAVE ONE". I never understood what it meant about an alcoholic when they say "ones to many, tens not enough". I do now. I never want to go through the pain of quiting again. That's what keeps me from starting again. It's been about 7 years for me. There are many days that I still think about it. Always say to yourself "can't have one". That's the secret for me. I know that it is a controversial subject, but in Illinois there is no smoking in public buildings. I think it also helps people to quit. It's not always in your face. Good luck. Oh it's also hard to carry an oxygen bottle up the trail and hiking something I want to do till I die.