PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba

ShakeyLeggs
03-07-2009, 13:01
I am in the market for a new tent (again).

I still use and love my Hammock but want the option of having a tent in the closet just in case.

I have looked at tarp tents and ruled them out due to single wall that is not for me. They are great though.

I have narrowed my search down to the Hubba but I see two different versions of the same tent.

On has netting on the body of the tent and is heavier. The other does not have the netting but is lighter.

http://www.rei.com/ComparisonChartDisplay.do?type=User&storeId=8000

My question is who has either of these tents and could you give me some advise based on your experience with either tent.

Any and all advise greatly appreciated.

FamilyGuy
03-07-2009, 15:05
Hubba -

Pros: decent quality, great headroom and length.

Cons: heavy, packs really large, extremely narrow - you will touch the sides, windwall in heavy wind.

Powder River
03-07-2009, 15:46
I have the Hubba HP, but it is not for really hot summer camping. The fabric walls will block much of the air movement, and I would much rather have mesh. However, it is lighter and works better in colder weather and in heavy rain storms, where the fabric wall keeps water from splashing off the ground and into the tent. However, it is not the best for WINTER weather, as you can't close off the windows in the top and the cold air gets in really easily. In other words, it is warmer/ more weatherproof than the Hubba but not a 4 season tent. The regular Hubba, OTOH, is getting a little bit heavy for a one man coffin.

FamilyGuy
03-07-2009, 16:09
I have the Hubba HP, but it is not for really hot summer camping. The fabric walls will block much of the air movement, and I would much rather have mesh. However, it is lighter and works better in colder weather and in heavy rain storms, where the fabric wall keeps water from splashing off the ground and into the tent. However, it is not the best for WINTER weather, as you can't close off the windows in the top and the cold air gets in really easily. In other words, it is warmer/ more weatherproof than the Hubba but not a 4 season tent. The regular Hubba, OTOH, is getting a little bit heavy for a one man coffin.

Hey PR, is the HP wider than the regular Hubba? Thanks,

Big Dawg
03-07-2009, 18:19
Seems ur set on the hubba, but take a look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. A little bigger but similar weight.

High Life
03-07-2009, 18:27
Ive seen some better tents , but i thru hiked with a hubba and got the thing compressed the size of a bowling bowl . mine was an older model and had heavier poles and my pack weighed in a 28 lbs . i think is very easy to set up . got caught in 40mph winds on tinker cliffs and had that thing guy'd out and taught and it really faired well. you could get a lighter tent , but if you have your heart set on it . i think you'll like it .. i like mine

Powder River
03-08-2009, 11:05
Hey PR, is the HP wider than the regular Hubba? Thanks,

Nope, I should say they are both coffins. The HP is just a lighter one. I don't own a regular Hubba, but from what I've seen they are the exact same floor size. It is longer than a regular size sleeping mat, so you have some room for gear at the head and foot. (but not a pack, unless your legs are on top of it) But I usually find one side or the other of my sleeping bag is touching the wall on the side.

Hangman
03-18-2009, 14:13
Hey Shakey, I did a thru in 2007 with my hammock and the guy I hiked with for 1200 miles (CastAway) used a Hubba and he loved it. If I were to go to the ground it would be a Hubba They seem light ,fast to put up and he had no condensation issues with it and we were in all kinds of weather. My stepfather and best friend also own one. Hangman

Smile
03-18-2009, 15:56
Hubba is a great tent for sure, hope you can find what works for you! :)

Earl Grey
03-18-2009, 19:08
I have a Hubba and a Hubba Hubba. Both great tents, yes could be lighter but for what they are theyre great. I used the Hubba on the AT and never ever got wet in it, even sitting in it all day in a downpour rain, kept bugs out, easy to set up, enough room in vestibule for pack and boots, its one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Gear To Go Outfitter
03-18-2009, 23:32
Ok, here's the deal. The Carbon Reflex 1 is the lightweight version of the Hubba but is nearly twice the price. The Hubba HP is for colder weather when you want more material and less mesh between you and the elements. The good old Hubba will probably do unless you are cutting ounces and have the cash to spend or you are expecting to encounter true winter weather. YOU CAN RENT THE HUBBA from my outfitter and check it out before you buy. A 3 day rental is $45; One week is $66; and Two weeks is $108. If you then decide to buy a Hubba from me, half of your rental fee is put towards the purchase of a new Hubba. (www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com))