PDA

View Full Version : Rent a car...?

10-K
03-07-2009, 18:10
First off, I'm headed out in the morning to finish the section between Daleville and the footbridge at James River. It's been 3 months since my last hike so I'm eager to get on the trail. Temps are looking good so I can lighten my pack a bit.

Here's an unrelated question.... I'm planning to take the month of June off to hike. My plan is to have my wife drop me off at Rockfish Gap on June 1st and start walking NOBO and go as far as I can. Somewhere close to the end of June, I'm wondering how easy it would be to rent a car to drive back home in rather than have my wife drive up and get me.

As anyone ever done this? Crazy idea?

garlic08
03-07-2009, 18:31
That's one of my favorite ways to return home. Check the major car rental companies and Enterprise. It's at least $80 a day, usually more like $100, for a one-way rental. It's often about the same as a bus ticket, but much more convenient, and if you can share it with someone, it's a great deal. Don't forget your credit card and driver's license!

The only issue is it's a higher impact, carbon footprint and all that, if you're concerned about that. It seems a waste to spend all that time in the woods being so efficient and then get in a car all by yourself. (PS: See Jak's "Sustainable Hiking" thread going on right now)

burger
03-07-2009, 20:19
In a month from Rockfish, you can easily make Delaware Water Gap (I started a section at Rockfish and hit DWG in 27 days with 1 zero day). From there, it's an easy bus ride into NYC, where you'll have plenty of car rental options. If you go past DWG, you'll have other a few other options for getting into NYC.

10-K
03-07-2009, 21:22
In a month from Rockfish, you can easily make Delaware Water Gap (I started a section at Rockfish and hit DWG in 27 days with 1 zero day). From there, it's an easy bus ride into NYC, where you'll have plenty of car rental options. If you go past DWG, you'll have other a few other options for getting into NYC.

I was looking at Kent,, CT 30 days out from Rockfish - that looks like 600 miles, or 20ish mpd. I usually hike 20-25 mpd so figuring a 0 or two that'd be about where I was.

Is there a town big enough to have a car rental agency around Kent? Anyone?

Desert Reprobate
03-07-2009, 22:23
If you get into NY, Check if there are any drive away companies. People who have to transport their vehicles use them. The company then used drivers that are headed in that direction. You might also see if the rental company will give you a deal with driving one of their previous one-ways back where it belongs. My cousin does this part time for Hertz.

4eyedbuzzard
03-07-2009, 22:29
I was looking at Kent,, CT 30 days out from Rockfish - that looks like 600 miles, or 20ish mpd. I usually hike 20-25 mpd so figuring a 0 or two that'd be about where I was.

Enterprise in New Milford, CT. About 25 miles.

Blissful
03-07-2009, 22:44

Wow that's pretty good speed for section hiking. Just watch out for the terrain in PA.

fiddlehead
03-07-2009, 23:21
I'd call some of these companies now. Often times they won't do a one way rental.
Hertz usually will but they are big bucks.

Would be cheaper (perhaps) to pay someone, or take the bus, or fly.
Airports is often the best place to do a rental and some of them will prefer one ways out if they have too many cars on hand. other's will charge you extra if they don't.

The driveway thing is a possibility but you won't know until it's time. They are short notice only.
I did one to NYC (from Miami) once and it was a great way to travel. I only had to pay gas and had a nice new Saab to drive.

10-K
03-08-2009, 07:21
Great information, thanks. I've got plenty of time to nail down the details and this gives me a great place to start.

Off to the Daleville here in about an hour!

mrc237
03-08-2009, 08:43
Fairly sure thet Hertz is the only co. that rents one way. Should be a sattilite office near Kent.