PDA

View Full Version : conTENT?

wikea1
03-07-2009, 20:23
I am wondering if it was more pleasurable for thruhikers to carry their own tent throughout the trail or was it better to only carry some lightweight tarp and rely soley on shelters and lean tos? I am thinking to carry an ultralight 1 man freestanding tent and use it when the shelters are over crowded in the beginning then dump it later on when the shelters are less filled up. good idea?

High Life
03-07-2009, 20:40
tent

Captain
03-07-2009, 21:13
always carry tent ,shelters can get full even during supposed deserted months, if you should come up upon a full shelter and not have a tent , do not expect pity cuase you was trying to cut weight,and thus cut one of the big 3. Though, i can respect wanting to cut weight...check into a camping hammock if you only want shelter "just in case" site is full

Blissful
03-07-2009, 21:34
You must carry some sort of shelter. Just in case.

warraghiyagey
03-07-2009, 21:50
Tent. . . for so many reasons. . . .

wikea1
03-07-2009, 21:58
I have a few tent options, I have an ultralite golite 1 man not-freestanding tent (floorless and needs 1 hiking pole), a freestanding ultralite tent with no floor, or a freestanding tent that has a floor and needs a rainfly for head cover (the tent top is just netting and this tent is the heaviest). which one should I go with? Im thinking for rain, Im pretty sure a tent with a bathtub floor would be best? thanks guys

Egads
03-07-2009, 22:01
I am wondering if it was more pleasurable for thruhikers to carry their own tent throughout the trail or was it better to only carry some lightweight tarp and rely soley on shelters and lean tos? I am thinking to carry an ultralight 1 man freestanding tent and use it when the shelters are over crowded in the beginning then dump it later on when the shelters are less filled up. good idea?

Carry a tarp and a hammock and you have more flexibility. You can sleep in a shelter, on the ground, or in the hammock.

Hammocks are the most comfortable and you don't need level ground.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2009, 22:16
As everyone has said, you need a tent! If you use one of the ultra-light things, get a serenity net for it from Six Moons Designs (or something similer). Simply shuting out the bugs can be the most important function of a tent!

Wheeler
03-07-2009, 23:12
Tent. . . for so many reasons. . . .

Good plan,bring a shelter

sticks&stones
03-07-2009, 23:38
bring a shelter. I once got turned around in fog, after dark, in a cold oct rainstorm, and nearly exspired out in the open, without a shelter. Once got to a full lean-to and spent the night out in the open during a late dec snowstorm as well. Not something you ever want to have to do. bring a shelter.

karoberts
03-08-2009, 01:22
It is so nice to have some privacy at the end of the day. My tent is my home on the trail, cozy and comfortable. I wouldn't hike without it.

Panzer1
03-08-2009, 02:20
Always have a tent. Your tent keeps you alive.

As others said don't depend on finding space in shelters even in the off season. You will not get any sympathy if the shelter is full and you don't have a tent.

You should carry a proper tent that will keep you warm and dry and keep the bugs out.

Always be prepared when on the trail.

Panzer

Gaiter
03-08-2009, 04:11
you don't have to carry a tent, but at least carry some type of shelter...

learning how to set up a tarp well, is just as good as any tent minus bug protection

fehchet
03-08-2009, 19:22
It is so nice to have some privacy at the end of the day. My tent is my home on the trail, cozy and comfortable. I wouldn't hike without it.

me too :sun

Powder River
03-09-2009, 15:15
I remember we had a full shelter outside of Standing Bear one night and two guys came in about 8 pm. They were ultralighters, carrying no shelters, and were hiking long hours to do 25 miles or so a day. One of them pitied his way into the shelter, even though we were already packed like sardines we made room for him. Several people were not happy about this. The other guy slept on the picnic table, which was fine until it started pouring in the middle of the night. He came and joined us about 3 am, and ended up taking about a quarter of my sleeping pad. I know I didn't get much sleep that night.

The combination of carrying no shelter and arriving late at night makes this kind of situation inevitable. I think the people who aren't carrying shelters do so so they can do longer miles, and thus arrive late to the shelters. If you really have to have a spot in the shelter you should arrive early, not late. If the shelter is full when you arrive, you have just made your decision to save weight everybody's problem.