PDA

View Full Version : first time

Alyssa1
03-07-2009, 20:33
im going to be hiking the LT at the end of june and throughout july. this is my first thru and im not quite sure what to bring. the big 4 obivsally and the basic stuff, but any extras? let me know.

Kirby
03-07-2009, 20:51
What do you want to know? Have you ever backpacked before?

Alyssa1
03-07-2009, 20:55
nope. never.

Kirby
03-07-2009, 21:03
What do you mean by the big 4? There are the three big things: backpack, sleeping bag, shelter.

Outside of that you will need:
stove
clothing
small first aid kit
water drinking items(bottles, bladders, treatment, etc)

I'm sure there's more, but those things immediately come to mind.

I dont know much about the long trail, so I cant be much help as to what to expect on the trail.

Sleepy the Arab
03-08-2009, 15:41
What do you mean by the big 4? There are the three big things: backpack, sleeping bag, shelter.

Sleeping pad.

Going that early, I would suggest bug repellant, and possibly a headnet for the black flies. Careful as a deet based repellant will melt certain synthetic clothing.

And make sure you bring a camera.

4eyedbuzzard
03-08-2009, 15:54
...Have you ever backpacked before?

nope. never.

You should really get out on at least a few overnight or weekend trips prior to this. It really helps to work out all the odds and ends prior to a long hike.

theinfamousj
03-08-2009, 21:35
Never been on the Long Trail, but seeing as how most folks on WB say it takes about the same gear as the AT: this gear list (http://www.backpacker.com/2007/images/november08/mtncrossmeth_445.jpg) seems as good as any to get you started.

rainmakerat92
04-10-2009, 10:04
You didn't ask, but I'll mention it anyway: I strongly suggest that you hike south to north. This will help get you into shape (physcially, mentally and emotionally) before you have to tackle the tough northern end of the trail.

I agree; the gear that works on the AT will also work on the LT. The bugs seemed a bit worse on the LT, but it could have been just the time of year I hiked.

If you'd care to look at my LT journal, it is located here:

http://www.trailquest.net/RM2002ltjrnl.html .

Good luck!

Mags
04-10-2009, 18:03
Ditto on the getting some practice backpacks first. They will get you in shape, let you test out gear...and they are fun!

I wrote this primer for a beginners backpack I have lead in the past. While aimed for Colorado, the basics apply to most three-season hikes.
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Backpacking-A-Beginners-Primer.html

Good luck..and have fun! The LT was my first long hike as well. It ruined me..for the best! :)

zoidfu
04-10-2009, 18:06
A couple of my friends will be doing it right around the same time. If you see a beautiful woman named Angel and a crazy woman named Amanda, stick with them. And tell Angel to move to PA already.

stranger
04-15-2009, 22:42
The LT is a rough hike, I've made the trip twice, so that's something to consider when thinking about miles. Personally speaking, I find the section of the LT from Lincoln Gap to Canada rougher than anything along the AT south of New Hampshire.

It's such a lovely trail though, so amazing. Also keep in mind that towns along the LT are not as hiker affordable as many along the AT, so staying at some B & B in Richmond can cost over $100 bucks depending on the time of the year.

On going south, it's harder initially yes, but will get you in shape quicker mentally. The Long Trail isn't long enough to notice a big difference in fitness if you start out of shape in my experience, I've always felt it took me a good 300 miles to feel a difference, so not sure that starting in the south and hiking north will make a huge difference.

Hiking north is kinda neat though, cause you finish at the Canadian border and the terrain gets better as you move north.

Such a great hike!