PDA

View Full Version : NJ trail condition

Scrapes
03-07-2009, 20:36
Did a 7 mile loop hike today starting at the High Point AT parkinglot. The blow downs were incredible, the storm of February 28 must have been brutal. It would be easier to relocate the trail then clear all the trees.

Wise Old Owl
03-07-2009, 21:30
Penn won't be any better from the turnpike on.

Highway Man
03-07-2009, 22:52
I came back from Mt. Tammney and Mt. Minsi today. The red and blue trails to Tammney are almost as fine as usual with some wet spots. Some part of the fire road to Minsi is still covered by mushy snow or ice. I even walked on it for a while to test my shoe's grip.

STEVEM
03-08-2009, 07:33
Did a 7 mile loop hike today starting at the High Point AT parkinglot. The blow downs were incredible, the storm of February 28 must have been brutal. It would be easier to relocate the trail then clear all the trees.

All that damage was caused by an ice storm in early January. There was 1-2 inches of ice on everything along that entire ridge. A mile away and a few hundred feet lower there was just a coating of ice and almost no damage.

burger
03-08-2009, 10:14
I've been thinking about sectioning NJ in early April, but I don't want to spend half my hike crawling through blowdowns. Should I try someplace else?

Scrapes
03-08-2009, 11:08
Its passable and the trail is being relocated just by use. Its just a matter of negotiating the rocks and the blow downs. NJ is still a nice place to hike, there is ample water, nice views, potential for wild life.

My post was just a heads up, I gotta say i felt guilty walking by and not pulling stuff off, just not possible with a bunch of kids and a time table.

Gdeadphans
03-08-2009, 15:46
Hey ankh my parents are currently living in Howell. Right near Aldrich Road. I graduated from Howell high school in 04. Was wondering if you went to howell high? If so what class did you graduate?

4eyedbuzzard
03-08-2009, 16:03
Howell? I lived in the Candlewood development in the early '70's (and Farmingdale also earlier in life) and went to Howell High School until '73. Would have been in class of '74 if we stayed in the area. I get back thru there every few years-it's not like it used to be. Too crowded and busy for me now.

Scrapes
03-09-2009, 10:07
Small world, huh. I live off of Aldrich too. I am not a product of HHS though, I'm a relocated "coal cracker" from north eastern Pennsylvannia. Class of '75 Wyoming Valley West HS home of the Spartans.

Candlewood, in 1990 when I moved to the area, was untouchable, the "desirable part of Howell". And yup it is busy, forget Aldrich and 9 on the weekend.

"Now you know the rest of the story, Good Day"