PDA

View Full Version : Golite Lite-Speed Pack

VWBUB67
03-07-2009, 22:05
Anyone had experience with using this pack without frame sheet and stays? What are the implications, etc.? I'm trying to reduce pack weight. Is this a good idea?

fiddlehead
03-07-2009, 23:25
Don't know that particular model. I have the Go-lite Breeze and it has no stays or hipbelt or anything except shoulder straps and a sack with some mesh pockets.
I love it.
It's simple, comfortable and i can forget it's there after a while.
Since i switched, i don't like a hipbelt restraining my movements anymore (i like to run the downhills)

You'll have to try it out. Pack it full, carry it around the store or wherever you saw one, and tell yourself whether you like it or not.

Some like this freedom, other's want the hipbelt, sternum straps, frame, places to lash all kinds of stuff on to it, etc.

jigsaw
03-08-2009, 08:58
i have an older speed pack and there is no frame or stays. i use a zrest 3/4 and it fits perfect.ive since switched to a granite gear vapor trail.

JJJ
03-08-2009, 09:36
I own that pack and find the comfort fine, FWIW.
It was bought to fastpack with, but have yet use it as such. Still using a Novarre Big Buzz with strap-ons for that.
I bicycled a few days with the Lite-Speed. :)
I'm considering it for a thru next year, but haven't really shook it down. I like the pack, but I'm a neophyte really.
Maybe I'll end up just strapping gear on a homemade frame. I've done several hundred miles like that, but I wasn't carrying significant weight. :D
Good luck on your pack search.

Funkmeister
03-08-2009, 09:55
I don't have that pack, but I have the GoLite Gust. I DON'T like the part about not having water bottle pockets, but as far as your question about no structure inside, it doens't bother me. I use my foam pad as support, rolling it and filling the center with my stuff.

I do believe their weight limit is correct; overloading makes for an uncomfortable carry.