PDA

View Full Version : Del Doc has passed away.

TJ aka Teej
05-21-2004, 13:49
Black&Blue posted to the at-l this morning:

"I regret to inform everybody that we have lost one of our own.

Dr. Vernon Vernier (DelDoc) passed away this morning at a local hospital here in DE. For those who did not know, DelDoc was working on his fourth thru and was GPS mapping the AT for the ATC. It was my great pleasure to help him with that project last summer in NH. We were supposed to finish the mapping this summer in ME.

He was a great trail advocate and a good friend and I will always cherish our hikes together through the Whites."

Doctari
05-21-2004, 20:40
Sad.

I apreciate his hard work.

Doctari.

Mini-Mosey
05-23-2004, 10:39
I've read about him and he was mentioned in "There are Mountains to Climb" by Jean Deeds, who encountered him during her 1995 thru-hike. Hopefully there are good hiking trails in heaven.

TJ aka Teej
05-23-2004, 18:56
DelDoc's obituary;

http://miva.delawareonline.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?obits.mv+42957

Snickers
06-08-2004, 18:55
The AT community has lost an invaluable resource, and a good man. I met Del Doc on my '99 hike in Hot Springs, and he was a real inspiration. He truely loved the trail and had a wonderful servant spirit.

Snickers
www.traildawg.com (http://www.traildawg.com)

Yukon04
06-20-2004, 11:54
One of the last times I saw Del Doc was during his 2002 hike/mapping project. We were setting up a station for his GPS base station on top of the high school in Bolivar, WV after a long search for a suitable location. We were hauling various gear, extension cords, etc, tons of stuff, up a rickety old ladder at the top of a dark and narrow stairwell to the trap door that accessed the roof. He and I hadn't known each other very long and I knew he was skeptical of this terrific spot I'd boasted so much about (finding good locations were one of Del Docs many tough challenges along the way.) Once he popped out of the hatch onto the roof and stood there in the golden-orange sunrise, eyeing the long ridgeline that he would be walking over the next few days, a big smile dawned across his face - his signal would be strong. That's the picture of Del Doc that I'll always remember, and his signal still remains strong all along our beloved Appalachians

magic_game03
06-20-2004, 12:36
To a man that always had a positive attitude and was doing something to better the Appalachian Trail, may he rest in peace.

woodhippie
06-20-2004, 15:00
In passing

It seems the more I become aquqinted with this wonderful AT community the more I realize the passing of the great ones before I have the honor of meeting them in person. Though that event was never offered me I is ever obvious the love he had for the AT as is marked with every blaze and every bend in the trail. It is the true icons that have made it a national treasure and hopefully there will be others to fill in their place to keep the dream alive. To this end I am forever hopeful and forever grateful.

see ya in the woods

woodhippie