PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Mask&Jono
03-07-2009, 23:53
Does anyone actually register after their thru-hike through the Appalachian Trail Conservancy?

SGT Rock
03-07-2009, 23:56
Yep. Lots of people.

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2009, 00:05
The ATC has a year by year tally of those who report in:
http://tinyurl.com/c7fdx3

High Life
03-08-2009, 00:38
i didn't...wish i did

johnnybgood
03-08-2009, 00:46
Must a thru-hiker register to get 2000 miler patch and recognition of their accomplishment ?

And is the patch delivered by mail ?

Just wondering :-?

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 00:47
Yep and yep.

Well you can actually just buy the patch. You can also make a certificate if you want one - Powerpoint is a good tool.

Tin Man
03-08-2009, 01:08
i didn't...wish i did

you still can

Mask&Jono
03-08-2009, 01:10
yea i was wondering if people did it just to recognize the accomplishment

johnnybgood
03-08-2009, 01:25
Yep and yep.

Well you can actually just buy the patch. You can also make a certificate if you want one - Powerpoint is a good tool.
So ANYONE can buy the patch ? As a another Sgt. so often said...Thats verrry interesting.

:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2009, 01:36
Well you can actually just buy the patch.
ATC sends people who register their hike a rocker that goes under the round AT patch, I dunno if they sell that 2000 miler rocker.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2009, 01:46
So ANYONE can buy the patch ? As a another Sgt. so often said...Thats verrry interesting.

yup and getting a certificate is easy too

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 09:04
You can get the rocker too. Someone gave me one as a gift - way before I started my hike and they were not a 2000 miler so they got it somewhere.

High Life
03-08-2009, 11:28
you still can

yeah they want you to mail in some form and i was lazy .. lol
but, hey thanks tin man , if i end up thru'ing this year i'll stop in at the ATC and fill out the form , lol :banana

Sly
03-08-2009, 12:16
You can get the rocker too. Someone gave me one as a gift - way before I started my hike and they were not a 2000 miler so they got it somewhere.

I bought a rocker from the ATC in Harpers Ferry and the person who sold it to me asked me if I completed the trail.

Lugnut
03-08-2009, 12:33
You can buy them from the ATC store. I'll never have one. Too many nice blue blazed trails in the south. I've never made it farther than Penn. border.

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 12:57
I bought a rocker from the ATC in Harpers Ferry and the person who sold it to me asked me if I completed the trail.
Is that like the sites where you must click that you are at least 18 to enter?:-?

Even 17 year old kids can figure out you should click yes.:p

garlic08
03-08-2009, 13:22
I not only registered by mailing in the form I got from the Baxter ranger, I sent in some $$ and joined the ATC. It's an impressive trail and deserves our support.

As for those who falsely claim to have hiked or to be hiking the trail, it's pretty easy to pick them out. I remember one guy I met in TN who said he got on the trail in South Carolina. Well, that raised some flags.

Kirby
03-08-2009, 21:11
You can buy them from the ATC store. I'll never have one. Too many nice blue blazed trails in the south. I've never made it farther than Penn. border.

I encourage you to explore the Whites, like nothing else in the appalachians.

I have my 2,000 rocker, and I'm gonna ask for another one when I send in my membership info later this month.

You can register when ever you want. Someone who hiked in 1972 could send in a form tomorrow and get the same envelope of stuff I did.

McKeever
03-08-2009, 22:58
If you are GAME, then sign the register at Amicola when weight your pack and start. When you get to Harpers Ferry, stop by the ATC, they will take your photo and put you in the books. While you are there, you can donate an hour or two of your time and answer questions about hiking for visitors who are just visiting HF as tourists. Be a good steward. When you get to Baxter, sign in at the ranger station on your way up Katahdin. When you get back home you have to contact the ATC and they will ask you to write a synopsis of your thur hike and award you with a certificate and rocker patch.

It's true that the award system is an honor system, and they don't check if you order patches. I know of many hikers that applied and lied. If you skip sections, yellow blaze, or take any shortcuts outside of peril, then don't apply for or wear a patch. If five hundred say they thru-hiked in one year and apply for a patch, then you can bet that 200 of them cheated. You will see it your self so don't do it if you really want a patch. Being a 200 miler does not require you do the entire trail at once, but if you want the award, don't apply until a sections have been completed honorably.