PDA

View Full Version : Best 500 mile section of AT?

kzod
03-08-2009, 01:03
I have two months over the summer and want to go for a walk. Does anyone have a favorite section of the trail that would be good to hike in July and August?

Tin Man
03-08-2009, 01:12
North Clarendon, VT to Katahdin

aaronthebugbuffet
03-08-2009, 01:21
Start at Katahdin and hike until you run out of time.

fiddlehead
03-08-2009, 06:31
I agree with Tin Man.

peakbagger
03-08-2009, 09:51
If you are in shape, the hike south from Katahdin is a great idea, but its not a great place to work through gear issues and conditioning. If you have them worked out and are prepared for humping a lot of weight on your second day out, go for it. Otherwise, do the Northbound from VT and get a few trail miles in. Keep in mind this is prime summer vacation time, so the trails and campsites will be crowded, make sure you have a tent or a hammock as the shelters will be full.

burger
03-08-2009, 10:11
If you have a full 2 months off and you're in decent shape, you should be able to do more like 600 or 700 miles without too much problem. I'd suggest maybe starting in Great Barrington MA (which is conveniently bus accessible) because MA is nice and easy and will give you a bit more time to get in shape for the more serious mountains in VT and beyond.

Also, if you go NOBO you'll be hiking with a lot of thru-hikers, which is fun on a section hike. If you go SOBO, you won't have as much consistent company.

4eyedbuzzard
03-08-2009, 10:21
Somewhat shorter, Hanover, NH to Katahdin(450 miles?). Nicest weather to hike the Whites, but also most crowded. Public transport: Bus and air(Cape Air out of Boston) service available to Hanover, train (Amtrak Vermonter to White River Jct, VT).

Ox97GaMe
03-08-2009, 10:47
There are a lot of really nice places to hike in July/August.

Southern sections are incredible with the summer flowers. Flaming Azaleas, Rhododendron, and Mountain Laurel will be in bloom mid June-Mid July.

The sections through NJ, NY, CT, and MA have a lot of nice swimming holes.

Most people try to avoid the southern appalachains during the hot summer months, but the Smokies thorugh Roan Highlands have some great views that a lot of hikers miss in the springtime.

So.... First figure out what makes the trip nice for you, what you like to see, and the type of hike you want to take. After that, you will be able to find the perfect 500 miles for trip.

have a great hike.

garlic08
03-08-2009, 10:53
Going south from Katahdin is a great idea. In 60 days, minus some logistics and zero days, you may be surprised at the miles you can travel on the AT. You might get farther than you think. You'll probably average greater than 10 miles per day and enjoy doing it. And that area is a real gem on the AT.

DuctTape
03-08-2009, 15:25
Ditto on all the above comments. Two months beginning or ending at Katahdin will be the best section of the AT.

Personally I would suggest going north for a more climactic finish to your hike.

Blissful
03-08-2009, 16:20
Tin Man, Tin Man....

He's got a heart and a good idea.