PDA

View Full Version : water availabilty north of Hot Springs, NC ???

Crazy_Al
03-08-2009, 09:00
This spring season, will the springs north of Hot Springs, NC have plenty of water ? Last fall season, I quit hiking due to drought and the springs where all dry.

kayak karl
03-08-2009, 09:16
This spring season, will the springs north of Hot Springs, NC have plenty of water ? Last fall season, I quit hiking due to drought and the springs where all dry.
they were not all dry last month. kind of hit and miss. i carried no more then 2 liters and did fine. spring mt shelter was dry. all the way to Jerry's Cabin was dry. where they said the water was in most places was right, just a couple 100 yds farther down ravine.

TOW
03-08-2009, 09:16
Well I got a report yesterday that the springs are running slow at Double Springs and Abingdon Gap Shelters right south of Damascus.

Tennessee Viking
03-08-2009, 21:47
For most of the south, we are still recovering from the recent droughts. A lot of the springs still need to heal. Most of the recovering springs are still looking to be further down the hillside or shifted elsewhere.

Saw plenty of water at TN 91 and Iron Mtn Shelter. Grassy Ridge was flowing. And I was at Greasy Creek Gap, it was a bit low at the spring. Go down to the forest road, beyond the blue blaze in to TN, to find the real springs. Heard Watauga Lake Shelter was flowing.

Water usually doesn't get really bad until the summer.