PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the Trailpup

Kathfishes
03-08-2009, 12:36
I know we're all concerned about carrying weight and how much food our hiking buddy needs for good health. I found two good foods.
Extreme Athlete: made by Diamond is a "natural" food, 32% protien 26% fat..with all the good vitiminas/minerals and joint suppliments. It's a kibble and priced around $36 for 40lbs It has a high calorie count at 491 per cup. I feed 2 cups a day at home..3 on the trail. (lab)

KiwiPeak..is a VERY pricey food. It's an air-dried food..great for backpacking. an 11lb bag will feed a lab for almost a month, but it's about $100.00 a bag. http://www.kiwipeak.com Now don't laugh to loud, but I even tried it...not too bad as a jerky!

Happy Trails with Wagging Tails
Kathfishes

4eyedbuzzard
03-08-2009, 14:28
... Now don't laugh to loud, but I even tried it...not too bad as a jerky.

Just make sure to get yourself to a vet pronto if you start having uncontrolable desires to chase cats and cars...;) :D

Camping Dave
03-08-2009, 14:30
IKiwiPeak..is a VERY pricey food. It's an air-dried food..great for backpacking. an 11lb bag will feed a lab for almost a month, but it's about $100.00 a bag. http://www.kiwipeak.com Now don't laugh to loud, but I even tried it...not too bad as a jerky!

I think you mean ziwipeak, not kiwipeak.

Please please don't do this your dog, feed him only 11lbs of food per month. According to ziwipeaks web site a 50lb dog needs 14oz of air dried per day. That's 12 days of food. Not 30 days. If your dog is hiking 15 miles per day and carrying gear, then maybe you can get 8 days.

If you don't know how to handle your dog on the trail leave him at home.

Kathfishes
03-08-2009, 17:29
Dave,
Sorry for the typo! I didn't say it's the ONLY food I fed..note I also listed Extreme athlete. which I also use I'm sorry I may have worded it so it sounded like I only fed 11lbs of air dried a month.. I love high quality foods..no "fillers" and less poo to dispose of..LOL I dearly love them and would never do anything to cause them harm.
I've had dogs for 40 years and I do know how to keep them in condition. Mine are easy keepers and are 70lbs working weight..75lbs show weight..
BTW they use Kilograms not pounds .there is no listing for a 50 lbs dog. the 50 is kg which equals out to a 110lb dog..
What kind is your trail-buddy?

jcazz
03-08-2009, 18:27
My Plott loves Canidae http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html only 468kcal/cup, but he only weighs 52lbs. I feed him 2 cups a day for the first 2 weeks then 3 cups if we are out longer -plus Zuke's PB Power Bones. He eats 1 bag of PB throughout the day then he eats all of his kibble at night an hour or so after we have set up camp. He has no appetite in the am, he just wants to get going.

Camping Dave
03-08-2009, 21:18
Dave,
BTW they use Kilograms not pounds .

Geez I feel like a dork now. Here I thought you were underfeeding your dogs and it turns out the real problem is that I can't read a simple chart! :)

Kathfishes
03-08-2009, 22:07
LOL No need to feel "Dork-ish" It took me awhile to realize it too... :-)