PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter....leave it now or send it home later

Live the Journey
03-08-2009, 14:02
Alright, as my start date rapidly approaches (15 days from now!!) I'm second, third and fourth thinking my water filter. I've had an MSR miniworks for a while and I really like it, but every thru hiker I know is telling me the same thing
"You can start with it, but I promise you'll send it home sooner or later"

That said...why wouldn't I just get ahead of the game and not even bring it to start with? I'm a self-professed "over treater" and normally filter and treat with Aqua Mira (I was a wilderness camp counselor for a long time and had afew campers get giardia...after taking care of these kids I vowed to try really hard to never get it myself!) So thinking about ditching the miniworks is a big step for me. That said, What treatment would you use without having a filter? (Not treating is Not an option...gotta draw the line) I like Aqua Mira, but is there something better? I've heard good things about PolarPure, but I've recently read that it's no longer sold in the great state of NC (something about it being broken down to make crystal meth) Also, any good tricks or tips in 'straining' out unfiltered water would be lovely

Your thoughts and ideas are, as always, appreciated!

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 14:09
Send it home later. At least you will have made the decision for yourself.

saimyoji
03-08-2009, 14:40
whatever you choose, adopt good overall hygiene habits. will do as much or more for staying healthy.

SkinnyT
03-08-2009, 14:45
I am running into the same problem myself. I think I will bring it mine and try it out for a few weeks while checking out what other hikers are doing. I doubt I carry it the whole way, but whatever. I am interested in what everyone else will say.

High Life
03-08-2009, 14:46
i thru-hiked in 07 with just aqua mira and when the drought hit the south hard
i was wishing , preying to god that the 20-30 min. wait time didn't exsist .
if i hit the trail again it will be with ULA's Amigo Pro 45 $ it's lite and fast
well that's my 2 cents

Blissful
03-08-2009, 16:27
Yep you can always send it home later. But we went with Aqua mira, by son wanted to use a filter later on (he didn't want to wait anymore for treatment), it started clogging on him in NH and then it broke, went back to Aqua Mira for ME.

We have a steri pen now, like to see how that works.

Lumberjack2003
03-08-2009, 16:59
I started with mine and ended up sending it home as well. I also went with the Aqua Mira and loved it. You may one or twice need to use a bandana or something to filter a source that has any leaves, etc...

garlic08
03-08-2009, 17:11
I use Aquamira sparingly, only if I can't see the water source. I drink deeply and tank up from good springs when I find them, treat with AM otherwise. If I didn't feel comfortable drinking spring water and if I treated everything, I don't think I'd use AM. That seems like a lot of chemical use. In that case, I'd probably use a gravity filter. They have no moving parts to break, which is part of why you're hearing you'll be sending home the filter. Moving parts tend to break after a couple months.

I have heard tell of some hikers who develop thyroid problems from too much iodine. I haven't heard of any direct health issues with AM, so I use it, but again, very sparingly. I used about 1/4 bottle on my AT thru last year, but it was a wet year.

Crazy_Al
03-08-2009, 17:18
Alright, as my start date rapidly approaches (15 days from now!!) I'm second, third and fourth thinking my water filter. I've had an MSR miniworks for a while and I really like it, but every thru hiker I know is telling me the same thing "You can start with it, but I promise you'll send it home sooner or later"

I used Aqua Mira ONLY for 4 years. Last Fall I was hiking in NC which is having a drought. One day the only water I had was from a nasty mud puddle. A good sumaratan (good guy) loaned me his water filter to clean-up my mud puddle water. A filter is great to have during droughts.

Desert Reprobate
03-08-2009, 17:27
Use what makes you comfortable. I'll be using a Miniworks on my hike.

Many Walks
03-08-2009, 18:27
We started with a MSR filter and switched to a Steripen with a prefilter that fits a Nalgene and carried Aqua Mira as a backup if needed. We were glad to switch, but when we had the filter we hit one source that was nothing but a mosquito hole we had to dig out to let the water seep in. We were glad to have the filter then. Agree with others, take what you have and make adjustments as you gain experience. You'll learn to identify some places where you'll be fine drinking right from the source and others you'll feel better treating in some way. My partner chased a water snake out of a water hole in Pine Swamp and we worked around a frog and a bunch of water spiders in one almost dry spring box. You just work with what you have. Enjoy your hike!

Pokey2006
03-08-2009, 19:07
I've been very happy with my water bottle filter -- the filter's right in the bottle, just scoop and drink. Then Aqua Mira for really questionable stuff and cooking water.

theinfamousj
03-08-2009, 19:38
I've heard good things about PolarPure, but I've recently read that it's no longer sold in the great state of NC (something about it being broken down to make crystal meth)

You can still get it in NC, but your outfitters has to order it for you. They cannot carry it on store shelves. I purchased two bottles online through REI and they shipped to the store for my pickup.

Another great way to get Polar Pure in NC to go on the Uwharrie Trail to a tiny little water seep and see if you can find my first bottle of Polar Pure that I'm pretty sure I left there. (Which is why I had to buy the second bottle.) ;)

Also, any good tricks or tips in 'straining' out unfiltered water would be lovely

Put your bandanna over the top of your bottle. Pour your water into your bottle through your bandanna. It gets most of the nasty floaties. If you need something to transport the water into your bottle, try your cookpot. Provided you boil water in that pot later, you will sterilize it. No need to bring extra equipment.

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 19:46
polar pure works fine for me.

BR360
03-08-2009, 19:54
A good sumaratan (good guy)

Spelling czar says: Samaritan.

Handy link for reprobate spellers like me: http://dictionary.reference.com

datachomper
03-08-2009, 20:31
i thru-hiked in 07 with just aqua mira and when the drought hit the south hard
i was wishing , preying to god that the 20-30 min. wait time didn't exsist .
if i hit the trail again it will be with ULA's Amigo Pro 45 $ it's lite and fast
well that's my 2 cents

So I just got the amigo pro. Just so ya'll know it's a little different in real life. It takes me 3min to filter 1L and 7min to filter 2L consecutively. It also weighs 11.5oz after the filter gets wet and including the stuff sack. A little different than what is advertised, but I'm still planning on taking mine.

mrc237
03-08-2009, 21:47
Camp Counselors should know better. If you have a filter use it.

Pokey2006
03-08-2009, 21:48

Long distance hikers DO know better. If you have a filter, leave it at home.

DavidNH
03-08-2009, 21:50
definitely bring the waterfilter. If you really can't handle the one extra pound you can always send it home later.

However, with a water filter you can get rid of the "crud" that so often is in water, and make water taste better. I know iodine tablets give an unpleasant taste.

I consider this a better safe than sorry issue. With filtering, water is safe and clean and there i so waiting involved (other than to pump). Iodine and Aquimira tablets I believe require you to wait 20+ minutes before drinking.

Don't know bout you guys, but when I am thirsty I don't want to wait for my water!!

David

JAK
03-08-2009, 21:57
I don't own own, but if I did I would bring it for sure, then decide later.

The AT would be the perfect test to see if it was worth keeping, I think.

I wouldn't mail it home if I decided not to use it. I would trade it or give it away.

JAK
03-08-2009, 22:00
There stuff I own I wouldn't bring, but a filter I would give a good try if I owned it already.

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 22:03
I owned one and got rid of it. Went to Polar Pure. He will figure it out for himself.

Live the Journey
03-08-2009, 22:20
Thanks guys...I really figured that this thread would seal the deal on talking me out of bringing the Miniworks...but quite the contrary, y'all talked me back into bringing it I think!! Even if it's soon after starting I'd rather send it home then start without it and wish I'd brought it. I've always got the AM as a backup. Thanks!

Live the Journey
03-08-2009, 22:25

P.S. Camp counselors may know better, but youth sent to wilderness camp on a court order sometimes don't...and thats why they end up s***ing in the camp van the whole way to the urgent care because they chose not to utilize the group filter. Thats what camp refers to as a "natural consequence"

My 7lb. WEMT first aid kit doesn't go on LD trips with me either, but I sure wouldn't leave home without it when I'm in charge of a group or with my campers!

EMAN
03-09-2009, 08:27
So you folks that use gravity filters....have you ever found someplace you needed water but couldn't use a GF? Like the mudholes spoken of here. I mean, as long as there is some source of running water it seems OK but how do you dip water from a mudhole? I have a gravity filter but it kind of scares me for some reason. Carry, have carried, the Hiker Pro forever and maybe I'm just too comfortable with that to learn a new trick.

mrc237
03-09-2009, 09:08
P.S. Camp counselors may know better, but youth sent to wilderness camp on a court order sometimes don't...and thats why they end up s***ing in the camp van the whole way to the urgent care because they chose not to utilize the group filter. Thats what camp refers to as a "natural consequence"

My 7lb. WEMT first aid kit doesn't go on LD trips with me either, but I sure wouldn't leave home without it when I'm in charge of a group or with my campers!

Was a SM, ASM for 30+ yrs when water needed to be filtered it was done in the campsite with adult supervision. Avoiding "natural consequence". :) I salute you for what you do, it can't be easy.

maxNcathy
03-09-2009, 09:10
I bought a new Steripen Adventurer for this years hike because I do not like the mixing and waiting and then more waiting for chemicals to take effect.
Sandalwood

mrc237
03-09-2009, 09:13
Good choice max!

Morpheus
03-09-2009, 11:59
The people that say leave it @ home are don't represent the small minority that have failed hikes from Giardia. I take my Miniworks to avoid being in that minority & also one time it proved itself by filtering the only available water in a deep muddy rut.
Poor hand hygeine & e-coli probably way-lays more hikers.

beakerman
03-10-2009, 14:11
I would agree that dirty hands probably stop more hikers than waterborne bugs and often times troubles are assumed to be water quality when they are really hygene. However giardia and crypto are both preventable by treatment either filtering or chemical. Nobody would ever suggest not to wash you hands after going to the bathroom even if you didn't "get any on you" so why would anyone suggest not treating water?

I treat with iodine. I strain with a cloth then treat. I went through a phase where I boiled all the time--It was a nightly ritual. I didn't have to carry any extra kit just tons fuel but I got tired of humping the fuel and waiting for the water to cool down.

I actually was brought down and put in the hospital by water beasties some 20 years ago and I have not been right since--damage was done. As a result I would never even jokingly suggest someone not treat their water. However I will tell you do what you are comfortable with on that front: If you want to forego filtering and just use chemicals that would be adequate once you strain the water to get the big stuff out however if you decide to do nothing then you might have to deal with those natural consequences yourself.

Frick Frack
03-10-2009, 14:53
I carried our MiniWorks (which I have used for over 10 years) the entire time with no problems. There were a few occasions where we had to pump for the chemical treaters because the water source was so small. If i had it to do over again I would carry the MiniWorks. I am intrigued by the SteriPen after reading a recent thread though...

general
03-10-2009, 19:06
water is free flowing and of great quality in the southern most states during the early weeks of thru-hiker season. no need to filter. georgia and north carolina are difficult fresh out of the gate as well. your body will appreciate you saving weight where you can. pick it up in virginia after you mail your cold weather gear home. your body will be conditioned and the weight won't matter at all.

take-a-knee
03-10-2009, 21:33

As an 18D my M5 aid bag weighed around 20#. A lot of medics on door-kicking teams now carry a bit more med gear than that.

chrishowe11
03-11-2009, 08:48
i have always used iodine,but never for four to six months strait, can iodine cause health problems down the road? And just a thought say if ur drinking iodine water for a few weeks then you forget to do it one day, you think the iodine that is already in your body can kill bacteria? just a random thought

Tipi Walter
03-11-2009, 10:23
I use Aquamira sparingly, only if I can't see the water source. I drink deeply and tank up from good springs when I find them, treat with AM otherwise. If I didn't feel comfortable drinking spring water and if I treated everything, I don't think I'd use AM. That seems like a lot of chemical use. In that case, I'd probably use a gravity filter. They have no moving parts to break, which is part of why you're hearing you'll be sending home the filter. Moving parts tend to break after a couple months.

I have heard tell of some hikers who develop thyroid problems from too much iodine. I haven't heard of any direct health issues with AM, so I use it, but again, very sparingly. I used about 1/4 bottle on my AT thru last year, but it was a wet year.

I agree. I don't think there's any real need to have a steady diet of Iodine or Chlorine for 5 or 6 months. Plus, let's say someone wants to continue backpacking after a thruhike and throughout life, is a lifetime of iodine or chlorine recommended?

I used Aqua Mira ONLY for 4 years. Last Fall I was hiking in NC which is having a drought. One day the only water I had was from a nasty mud puddle. A good sumaratan (good guy) loaned me his water filter to clean-up my mud puddle water. A filter is great to have during droughts.

Here is a good example of the benefits of a pump filter: to suck up seeps that would otherwise be next to impossible to get. Sure, the filter will clog quickly, but at the next fast flowing stream crossing, it can be pulled apart and much of the cartridge can be flushed and cleaned in the water.

definitely bring the waterfilter. If you really can't handle the one extra pound you can always send it home later.

However, with a water filter you can get rid of the "crud" that so often is in water, and make water taste better. I know iodine tablets give an unpleasant taste.

I consider this a better safe than sorry issue. With filtering, water is safe and clean and there i so waiting involved (other than to pump). Iodine and Aquimira tablets I believe require you to wait 20+ minutes before drinking.

Don't know bout you guys, but when I am thirsty I don't want to wait for my water!!

David

Yeah, who wants to wait? Oftimes I just drink straight from a spring, but let's face it, many of the water sources on the AT are near shelters and guess what? So are people and their turtleheads. I always filter the water near shelters, no matter how pristine it looks.

i have always used iodine,but never for four to six months strait, can iodine cause health problems down the road? And just a thought say if ur drinking iodine water for a few weeks then you forget to do it one day, you think the iodine that is already in your body can kill bacteria? just a random thought

This follows my earlier blurb, and why take in a lifetime of iodine if not needed? For a weekend trip or a few months, no problem, but for 6 months? Probably no problem then, either. But for a lifetime of backpacking?

Turtlehiker
03-11-2009, 12:37
Isn't the chemical in Aquamira the same as used by lots of public water supplies?

Copied this from their website
chlorine dioxide, a well established disinfectant is the active ingredient in AquamiraŽ Water Treatment Drops. Chlorine dioxide is iodine and chlorine free. The unique formula works by releasing nascent oxygen, a highly active form of oxygen, which is a strong oxidant and a powerful germicidal agent. Chlorine dioxide has been used by municipal water treatment plants to kill a variety of waterborne pathogens since the late 1940s. Unlike free chlorine (familiar as household bleach) or other halogen chemicals (such as iodine), chlorine dioxide does not create potentially harmful by-products.

Should be pretty safe. I have found that after treatment in camp if I leave the lid open the water losses most of the chemical taste.
I still like dipping and drinking when I can. Nothing beats pure clean spring water.
Of course there are always idiots like the guy I saw washing his filter element in Potaywadjo spring. I almost cried! I had been thinking about getting to this spring for days!

think0075
03-11-2009, 13:09
As a friend of mine once told me, giardia is the most preventable injury on the trail. and the reason why that is, is because you dont need to buy a filter or aquamira drops. simply and empty visine bottle that you cleaned out or an empty aqua mira bottle and fill it with bleach. then when you get water it is three drops of bleach to one litre of water. i didnt treat my water through me, nh, and vt in 2008 but after that i used aquamira until i realized it was two expensive and moved on to bleach from wv to ga. i know people will reply saying that bleach is not an effective treatment but it is. i have seen many people use it and not get sick and i myself used it for about half my hike. so take it as it is but the lightest and most affordable way to treat your water is bleach. and for people worried about the 15 to 30 minute wait time simply need to organize better. if your hiking then have two bottles and fill one up treat it and start walking and drink from the other one while you wait. and if your in camp make getting and treating your water the first thing you do so you can concentrate on getting your sleeping area set up for the night while your water is treated.

beakerman
03-11-2009, 14:09

I've used iodine all my life, well except that one time when I did get sick, and I have not had any problems. Now granted I've not done a thru hike on the AT but I have hike many miles on it before I left the region. so I can't say anyting about 6 months straight. I will ask my doctor about that at my next check up and gladly relate what he says here at that time.

However your question about missing iodine one day and hoping for protection the short answer is no. The iodine kills the bugs in the water not your body the concentration is too low.

What it does is oxidize the protiens that make up the cell wall and they die horrible little leaking deaths just like they deserve. Actually all of the chlorine and bromine based disinfectants work this same exact way. The benifit of iodine is that if you get a leak and spill it it will not eat a hole in your pack and it comes in tablet form too for easy use. They all work equally well becasue they are all "old" proven technologies. Sure the delivery might be a little different from one brand to another but they as far as any treatment that involves putting something in the water they are all the same basic chemistry. What is critical her is concentration (how much to put in a liter of water) and time because without both they don't work.

I also have faith in filters. They are simple mechanical technology. Make a hole small enough to keep the bugs from passing through and they will get filtered out. It's simple enough on the surface that is it seasy to understand and again is fairly well proven at this point. The only problems I see with them is the weight and they are mechanical and mechanical things break.

I'm not sold on the UV things yet (steripen or any other supposed UV sanitizer). They used to have these on the outfall of sewage treatment plants and they didn't work very well--at least the ones I had to deal with back in the day. They work by using the UV light to break down various parts of the microbes cell kind of like the iodine or chlorine but they need to actualy get that leathal dose of UV light to the bug to begin with and if the water is dirty then all bets are off as far as I'm concerned. Just because a manufacturer says so is not good enough for me. Once they have been in the field for ten more years and almost everybody is using them then I will consider it proven. Until then I'll count on my iodine tablets and even then I may say no to them because they require batteries and batteries die.

Pootz
03-11-2009, 14:27
The one problem with filters that is normally overlooked is a cracked filter. Impossible to detect. This is a bigger problem in freezing temperatures and with dropped filters. The other problem with filters is cross contaminating your filter hoses. Hard to store without having this problem.

I vote for Aqua Mira. Only used a filter 2 times during my thru hike and could have got by without it both times. Only reason I used one was that a hiking friend was filtering at the same time and the water had a lot of sediment in it. I could have just filter it through my bandanna.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-11-2009, 14:31
I went with the Sawyer Inline filter. It weighs nothing, it hooks right into my Platypus line and filters the water as I drink it or pour it through the tube. Filters out 99.999999% of bacteria and protozoan and doesn't require new filters... It was cheap and hassle-free and even though it doesn't filter viruses, I figure filtering 2 out of 3 is better than nothing. :)

Wags
03-13-2009, 11:47
i was under the impression that crypto is resistant to iodine???

SGT Rock
03-13-2009, 13:33
It is resistant to iodine. Not iodine proof.

But then you gotta play the other card - what are you likely to actually encounter?

Chances are good you will encounter viruses. Chances are good you will encounter some bacteria. Last big outbreak of stomach bug was actually Hep A. Filter won't stop that. But then again it was traced back to a food joint, not water.

Then you get to Crypto and Giardia. Last outbreaks of both of those were in city water. I never hear anyone filter that on the trail.

A few years back there was an article about Giardia in the back-country, specifically the Sierras. It basically said you are very unlikely to encounter Giardia in the back country in amounts heavy enough to cause a case of it. But some people swear they had it even though the symptoms don't actually fit.

So, do you carry a filter to protect against what probably ain't out there and not use the chemicals that will protect from what you probably will encounter? Or do you take a filter to feel better that you won't get the one that will probably lay you out worse?

To me, after seeing this debate for years, the whole thing is like religion. You have faith that the method you choose is the best, that is all that matters.

Live the Journey
03-13-2009, 13:51
have faith that the method you choose is the best, that is all that matters.

Thanks Sgt!

Frosty
03-13-2009, 14:29
A few years back there was an article about Giardia in the back-country, specifically the Sierras. It basically said you are very unlikely to encounter Giardia in the back country in amounts heavy enough to cause a case of it. But some people swear they had it even though the symptoms don't actually fit.

So, do you carry a filter to protect against what probably ain't out there and not use the chemicals that will protect from what you probably will encounter? Or do you take a filter to feel better that you won't get the one that will probably lay you out worse?I like the taste of water that comes out of my Hiker Pro. It is clean and sparkly. I don't like the weight factor but it was worth if for the mud holes I've used as water sources on the Long Trail and Northville Placid Trail.

Few experienced backpackers will ever change their mind based on someone telling them they need a filter or don't need one. They have made up their mind based on their own experience and it works for them.

That is why your first response to this thread is the best advice. Bring it and see for yourself.

SGT Rock
03-13-2009, 14:44
That is why your first response to this thread is the best advice. Bring it and see for yourself.
Exactly.

hopefulhiker
03-13-2009, 14:44
I used Aqua Mira the whole hike in 05 but that was a wet year.
Drought is a big consideration. Sometimes the only water available is pumped out of mud puddle with frogs sitting in it.....

turtle fast
03-13-2009, 16:39
In o8' we started with our 1st need water purifier in Georgia. Sent it back after our shakedown at mountain Crossings (Thanks Alpine!) along with a box of gear and went with AquaMira. Worked fine until we had to get water from seeps and slow springs. We were hot and thirsty and didn't want to wait for water to get warm while waiting for the chemicals to work. Got our filter back and used both methods. As we were closer to the rear of the 08' thrus 'pack', we got to hear of all of the folks who got ill from water borne buggies. Some were hospitalized, some had trotts for a few days....point is to purify your water. I have seen food bits, garbage, and even human fecees above water sources....and thusly pushed on to other water sources.

CrumbSnatcher
03-13-2009, 20:38
I like the taste of water that comes out of my Hiker Pro. It is clean and sparkly. I don't like the weight factor but it was worth if for the mud holes I've used as water sources on the Long Trail and Northville Placid Trail.

Few experienced backpackers will ever change their mind based on someone telling them they need a filter or don't need one. They have made up their mind based on their own experience and it works for them.

That is why your first response to this thread is the best advice. Bring it and see for yourself.IMO the only problem is he has a MSR filter and not a hikerpro! my vote is take the filter and see for yourself.

energier
03-14-2009, 10:54
I have a pack weight of about 25 lbs which includes everything but water weight -- thjis includes a tent and a filter and 4 days of food so why not take one

neighbor dave
03-17-2009, 18:48
you remember when "twig" was sleepwalkin in tabard?? he he he

Johnny Swank
03-17-2009, 19:01
I wouldn't bother with it. You're far better off worrying about hygene (pots, hand sanitizer, no hands in other's food bags) than whatever, if any, thing you use for water treatment.