PDA

View Full Version : Low Alpine Appalachian 65+15 Pack

YoungMoose
03-08-2009, 18:01
Can anyone tell me if u have it and if so what was it like

Wags
03-08-2009, 21:56
most lowe packs are made for serious mountaineering. that's all the info i have on that

Ox97GaMe
03-08-2009, 23:58
I have owned two different Lowe Alpine packs and absolutely loved them both. Neither was the type you listed. My next pack will most likely also be a Lowe. I could probably fall in love with other brands if i tried them, but why mess with a good thing. It works for me.

The other thing that I like about Lowe is that they have a department devoted to long distance hikers. If you have any problems with their gear, and you are on a long hike, they patch you through to this special department. They keep a profile database of these hikers and are committed to getting you repaired, regeared, or whatever else you might need in a very expedient manner. I havent needed to call very many times in the 12,000 miles of hiking that I have done with one of their packs, but I can say that I have not heard of many companies that have offered better customer service than what I have received when I needed it. They overnight shipped a loaner pack so that I could continue my hike on the Colorado Trail. The repaired pack was shipped back to me a week later. I was off the trail for less than 24 hrs. I paid shipping for my pack both ways, but the loaner didnt cost me a dime.

greentick
03-10-2009, 15:38
I think my best friend has that pack. Here is a pic:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22497&catid=member&imageuser=6848

There may be another if you scan those particular 10-12 pics.

Likes: Very adjustable torso length. His is like 16" - we joke that his 12th rib is actually the iliac crest of his pelvis. Lots of pockets for organizing. Comfortable. Cheaply available on campmore etc.

Dislikes: on the heavy side for what he typically packs. Tall, look over your shoulder and you see pack.

His base of experience is retired Army, 15yrs of Special Forces time. To put things in context, a 6lb pack is considered "lightweight" in SF. At the time of discharge the standard SF pack was a Gregory/Bianchi collaboration that weighs like 9lbs and is rated to 125lb capacity and requires a degree in engineering to run all the strappage and panels and moveable pockets. Versatile and bombproof. I have some pics on WB somewhere of me with this pack with a child carrier pack strapped to it. They're not in my gallery but pop up on the homepage some time.

Frick Frack
03-10-2009, 15:54
I have a Contour IV (I think??). It is over 6000 cubic inches and the pack I started my section hikes with. I love it but it is a little heavy and WAY too big. The last time I used it I hiked 3 pump pots of hot coffee up to Springer when my wife and I married. I think the pack you are inquiring on uses the same harness which is very adjustable and extremely comfortable but a little trimmed down in weight. If you want a bombproof pack that can carry weight well it is very good but if you want to go light weight and carry little as possible I would look for something else. My 2 cents worth

Toolshed
03-10-2009, 20:33
I also have a LA Contour IV from around 1996 (Forerunner of the 65+15). this was my everyday pack (well everyday on the trail) and it received a lot of use and abuse. Not that I specifically abused it, but typical stuff a pack goes through over a decade. It is heavy nowadays, but it was the norm back then.
LA Packs are very well made and my pack is no exception. It still is in great shape and I use it in spring and fall when I am either carrying a little more gear or out for a weekend and not ultralighting it.

YoungMoose
03-10-2009, 21:42
i dont really mind the weight. i am able to hike for 12 miles with a 30 pound pack. without much problems. so dont mind about the weight. just wanting to know if u guys think its quality since its on the lower price

Foyt20
05-04-2009, 12:30
I also have a LA Contour IV from around 1996 (Forerunner of the 65+15). this was my everyday pack (well everyday on the trail) and it received a lot of use and abuse. Not that I specifically abused it, but typical stuff a pack goes through over a decade. It is heavy nowadays, but it was the norm back then.
LA Packs are very well made and my pack is no exception. It still is in great shape and I use it in spring and fall when I am either carrying a little more gear or out for a weekend and not ultralighting it.

I also have a contour IV, I got it for my first real backpacking trip in the Boy Scouts. I got it cause it was on sale, but I still have it to this day. I have since upgraded to an Osprey Aether 70, that I am in love with, and it is nice because it keeps my load down a bit (just because of sheer size).

Use what works and HYOH :banana

Christus Cowboy
05-04-2009, 14:36
I take small groups of teenagers (usually 2 to 3) hiking with me alot so I bought a few Lowe Alpines off of ebay and use one myself (I have a Crossbow Model).... Admittedly they are bit heavier than other brand names but they are rugged.... the NOLS schools use them for this reason.... The six that I own have been used and abused but are in very usable condition they hold up quite well. The adjustable torso is very helpful when I take different teenagers on the trail, I can adjust the torso to custom fit the teen that I'm taking out at the time. I'm sure I would be happy with other packs but just as others have expressed mine fits well and is comfortable so I'm going to stay with my setup for now.... why mess with a good thing?

Here's a review of the specific model pack that you are inquiring about:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/lowe-alpine/appalachian-65+15/review/7716/ (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/lowe-alpine/appalachian-65+15/review/7716/)

Desert Reprobate
05-04-2009, 21:23
I have several Lowe Alpine packs. They have always been dependable and I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a long trail. You can't go wrong for the price if you can handle the weight. That said, I saw a ULA Catalyst at the PCTKO and am trying to convince myself I really need a new pack.

MJN
02-03-2010, 15:12
I just got the lowe alpine crossvent 45 + 10 and it is a good pack, seems very durable. its pretty small but somehow i managed to get all my winter gear in there.

thelowend
02-03-2010, 15:33
i dont really mind the weight. i am able to hike for 12 miles with a 30 pound pack. without much problems. so dont mind about the weight. just wanting to know if u guys think its quality since its on the lower price

as far as i have found, price usually isnt super relevant. i am looking at a ULA Ohm right now which at $175 and just over 2 pounds, it seems like it's too good to be true but I have read so many good things about the ULA packs so I think I am gonna chance it and purchase an Ohm here in the next few months. If you are looking to really knock some miles out though, you should look into something smaller and lighter. These lowe packs seem like way too much for your average AT thru hiker. You will have chances to restock almost every day and you will want to be a bit lighter than 30 lbs if you plan on knocking out more than 12 miles in a day (not a very long hiking day unless you are taking your sweet time).. I haven't started my thru yet but I can guarantee you that you will have days where you wish you had hiked more than 12 miles if you have any sort of time frame that you have to complete the trail in. My three cents.

Toolshed
02-03-2010, 20:52
Moose - Did you get the Low Alpine? If you like the pack and it fits, go for it. LA packs are very good quality.

im lost
02-04-2010, 00:13
I have the appalachian 65+15 as my fall/winter pack its a little heavy 5lb 3oz with attached rain cover. But its bulletproof ,easy to adjust and comfortable as far as anything riding your back goes.