PDA

View Full Version : Trail tunes

JLB
05-21-2004, 23:28
What, if anything, do you use on the trail for tunes? I'm considering a MP3 player, that can store 6000 songs on it.

Lilred
05-22-2004, 11:46
What, if anything, do you use on the trail for tunes? I'm considering a MP3 player, that can store 6000 songs on it.

I use Mother Nature and listen to the tunes of birds, insects, and the breeze through the trees.

SGT Rock
05-22-2004, 11:49
I have a very light set of headphones that includes an FM radio - 1.2 ounces wih battery. It is good for catching some local weather, but it wouldn't be for hiking and listening. Nature and my brain provide the hiking tunes.

Rain Man
05-22-2004, 12:12
I use Mother Nature and listen to the tunes of birds, insects, and the breeze through the trees.

I'm with Lilredmg and Sgt Rock. Can't imagine being distracted by something plugged in my ear.

:sun

ted holdridge
05-22-2004, 12:23
I'm currently using a small cd player with jogproof so it won't skip. It helps me get going in the morning.

kythruhiker
05-22-2004, 12:38
I carry similar to what SGT carries, ultra tiny FM radio with an earbud, runs on one AAA. Total weight not much more than 1 oz. I rarely use it, and only at camp to get a weather update from time to time. I'll concur with others, the sounds of nature keep me entertained while I'm hiking. I do use a Lyra MP3 player when I'm working out, it's got the armband strap, which works well for me...not sure how much it weighs, but it's not much. I guess I've got a one track brain - if I was out in the woods hiking listening to tunes, I'd probably zone out and end up walking off the edge of a cliff...

See ya in the woods,
Ky Thru

JLB
05-22-2004, 14:45
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking more for relaxing around camp, than while I'm walking. The ability to get weather reports is something I had not thought of.

Kozmic Zian
05-22-2004, 14:46
:jump Yea......Tunes.....Whata' you care 'bout any music? Youre too busy shootin' yer gun off!:jump

JLB
05-22-2004, 14:55
:jump Yea......Tunes.....Whata' you care 'bout any music? Youre too busy shootin' yer gun off!:jump

Troll alert.

Doctari
05-24-2004, 18:37
I don't carry. Have, a mini FM radio (scan & seak) with built in headphones. Never used it, well, once. IF, I carry one I wll carry one similar but get an AM/FM so as to have more options.
I found weather reports, , , sort of depressing, and usually WRONG! Bear in mind I'm from SW Ohio, we count on the weatherman (OK, "Person") being wrong, but when He/She is in the flatlads & Im on some ridge, I'ts kind of silly to expect them to be right.
And, I hate* country music :p which is about all you hear on the south part of the AT.

* dislike is more accurate.

For music, I carry a 6 hole flute.

Doctari.

ATSeamstress
05-24-2004, 18:52
I also have a small 6-hole flute. My real flute is too heavy! :)
Once I did see a man at Grayson Highlands playing a real flute,
it was music to my ears, literally. Trail magic at its best.

I have a harmonica as well. I bring either the harmonica or
the small flute. Each weighs about 2 oz.

Ragamuffin

gravityman
05-24-2004, 18:59
My wife and I have RCA Lyra 1080 (although I suggest the new 1090 as it has more internal memory). It also can use an external card for additional songs, and the card is essentially weight free. With batteries and arm band I believe it weighs 4 oz. 8 hours on one set of AAA batteries. Also has an FM tuner. Oh, and it uses the new MP3Pro technology for file compression (about 1/2 the file size for the same song).

We do use it hiking. We love it. A fair number of thrus carry some type of music. Most just a radio because of lack of planning. We REALLY like the distraction on some days. It can provide a MAJOR mental lift! On the internal memory and one 256 MB card we can fit way over 200 songs. We like the fact that there are no moving parts.

Of course we have headphones so we don't disturb others.

Gravity Man

Tha Wookie
05-24-2004, 19:57
I like to listen the Hermit Thrush, Loons, territorial squirrels (most of the time), springs, robins, crows, ravens, cicadas, other hikers, leaves and nuts and caterpillars falling, creeks, my own footsteps, my heart, my breathing, a deer running away -just out of sight-, a bear doing the same, the warning sound of a timber rattler, the crunch of snow under my sandals, my hiking partners sweet voice, hikers at shelters picking lightly on guitars and mandolins, a airplane going over head (what are they thinking in there?), the silent whipsers of the wind, and sometimes its angry howls, rain pattering on the green canopy.................

But then some jerk comes along with his cling-clang factory hking poles, banging them on every rock, and squeaking the tired springs like a Duncannon motel bed so I throw on Spinal Tap's Stonehenge and crank it to 11 baby... :banana

eyahiker
05-24-2004, 20:40
Hey JLB, chill out. Kozmic Zian is not a troll, you'll need to look up the definition of what a troll is on your own or see below. Actually, someone who comes on and constantly posts out of the blue is a troll , or as the webopedia gives a def:

(v). 1) To deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments to a community forum (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/forum.html), chat room (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/chat_room.html), newsgroup (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/newsgroup.html) and/or a blog (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/blog.html) in order to bait other users into responding.

(2) To surf (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/surf.html) the Internet (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/Internet.html).

(3) To hang around a chat room reading the posts instead of contributing to the chat. (n.) One who performs any of the above actions.

KZ has been here since 11/03 and has made a lot of great suggestions on here. His post has a valid point, since if you are carrying, would you not want all of your 5 senses, hearing included to be very sharp, especially while at 'rest' on the trail? I certainly would not want to have music playing as someone 'came up' from behind coming into the shelter for the night and you missing their harmless entrance and perhaps making an error with your well-trained firearm.

To get back to the theme of the thread. I listen to the sounds of the creation in which I am hiking in , the entire time. Otherwise, I would be missing out on a very large % of the entire experience. Hiking is getting away from 'it all' while brining the bare necessities along for survival. I have never met anyone who couldn't survive without their music/walkman along for the hike.

Otherwise, I love music!

JLB
05-24-2004, 21:22
Hey JLB, chill out. Kozmic Zian is not a troll, you'll need to look up the definition of what a troll is on your own or see below. Actually, someone who comes on and constantly posts out of the blue is a troll , or as the webopedia gives a def:

(v). 1) To deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments to a community forum (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/forum.html), chat room (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/chat_room.html), newsgroup (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/newsgroup.html) and/or a blog (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/blog.html) in order to bait other users into responding.

(2) To surf (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/surf.html) the Internet (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/Internet.html).

(3) To hang around a chat room reading the posts instead of contributing to the chat. (n.) One who performs any of the above actions.

KZ has been here since 11/03 and has made a lot of great suggestions on here. His post has a valid point, since if you are carrying, would you not want all of your 5 senses, hearing included to be very sharp, especially while at 'rest' on the trail? I certainly would not want to have music playing as someone 'came up' from behind coming into the shelter for the night and you missing their harmless entrance and perhaps making an error with your well-trained firearm.

To get back to the theme of the thread. I listen to the sounds of the creation in which I am hiking in , the entire time. Otherwise, I would be missing out on a very large % of the entire experience. Hiking is getting away from 'it all' while brining the bare necessities along for survival. I have never met anyone who couldn't survive without their music/walkman along for the hike.

Otherwise, I love music!

I would say that someone who follows me around on every thread making derogatory comments, and offering no knowledge, just because of his hatred of guns is a troll. Just because he has been a member for a long time does not excuse his behavior.

As for the tunes, I like to break the monotony at night, or during bad weather, but thats just me.

FatMan
05-25-2004, 00:04
I agree that the sounds of the trail are music to my ears. However, there are times when some man made tunes are right with me as well. I just picked up an iRiver MP3 player and really enjoyed it this weekend on the Bartram/Chattooga River Trail.

This player is near perfect for the trail. Weighs less than 2 oz. (including battery) and comes with a neckstrap for hanging around your neck. It operates on 1 AA battery with a life of around 20 hours each. Has 512mb memory allowing up to 17 hours of tunes. And is an FM radio.

What I really enjoy is it is also a voice recorder so I can dictate my journal as I hike. No waiting until camp and forgetting half of what I want to write. And so much lighter than a notebook and pen.

This is little pricey at $250 but it is as near perfect for the trail as I can find. If you are in the market for trail tunes this worth a close look in my opinion.

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:58
JLB says about Eyahiker....
just because of his hatred of guns is a troll. Just because he has been a member for a long time does not excuse his behavior.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

JLB,do you read the other posts? I never said I hated guns nor I have not been a member for what I call a long time. I feel sorry for you. You have no idea how your OWN behavior is not appropriate.

Somebody mail this guy a video or some books.

Jaybird
05-27-2004, 11:07

..."tweet-tweet....tweddle-e-e-e-e-e-deet....rockin' robin......."
i'm with "Rain Man" & "LilRedMG"....since i only get out on the the trail (A.T.) a couple weeks a year....i like to listen to all that surrounds me...whether its the birds...waterfalls...& yes, even those pesky Cicadas that are out now (after 17 years of living w/o them)...nature provides all the sounds i need....

& late @ night...the soothing sounds of crickets...& maybe even a babbling brook near by....LIFE IS GOOD! :D

ted holdridge
05-28-2004, 13:30
While I agree that the sounds of the trail keep me entertained, I have found that in the morning, or anytime I need a lift, a cd is perfect for me. I am currently carrying 24 of them and will switch them out periodically. I try to include music for just about every mood. It can really help when your having a bad day or trying to make miles. I've even experimented and found that faster beats will get me down the trail at a rapid pace. When you are thinking about a burger at Mountain Moma's, Ministry is the way to go. Happy Hiking.

JLB
05-28-2004, 13:37
JLB says about Eyahiker.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

JLB,do you read the other posts? I never said I hated guns nor I have not been a member for what I call a long time. I feel sorry for you. You have no idea how your OWN behavior is not appropriate.

Somebody mail this guy a video or some books.

Again, the obsessed troll tries to start something. :bse

tarbubble
06-01-2004, 22:04
music is REALLY important to me, so i would love to have a small mp3 player that i could easily take backpacking. it would be so nice to listen to a soft song while my campmates are snoring. i have a hard time going to sleep (anywhere, not just in the wilds) and noises just distract me. also, to have something fast or up-tempo when i have a long, hard slog ahead could be a real boon. BUT if i could find a nice, reasonably affordable mp3 player with AM/FM and weatherband that would be PERFECT.

Kozmic Zian
06-02-2004, 08:40
Yea.....Thanks eya. I don't read his posts anymore. Ignore is on. That's like the 'pot callin' the kettle black' ain't it? Maybe he'll troll on outa' hea. KZ@

JLB ----- Is that his ..... name?
P.S. Wrong agin' there, Pard......I can respond.....don't have to read to know what you a sayin'. Plus, I hear what everybody else is saying....Like, 'find somewhere else to play.....nobody likes you. Can you take a hint? Huh? Can Ya? Didn't think so................................................ .......................:jump

JLB
06-02-2004, 09:47
Yea.....Thanks eya. I don't read his posts anymore. Ignore is on. That's like the 'pot callin' the kettle black' ain't it? Maybe he'll troll on outa' hea. KZ@

But you still respond to my threads with your hate.

Troll.

Kozmic Zian
06-02-2004, 10:05
Yea........Book? How 'bout a brain! KZ@

ripple
06-02-2004, 10:08
KZ don't you have anything better to do then to follow JLB around?

bigcat2
06-02-2004, 10:41
The only music I hear on the trail are the earworms that constantly run through my head. On my past GA through, the last day was 80's day :) !