PDA

View Full Version : Can hiking cure affluenza?

hootyhoo
03-08-2009, 20:40
When you got off trail did you still want, desire things?
Was affluenza in remission? Did it come back?

garlic08
03-08-2009, 21:00
I did not desire things when I got off trail, but my life was pretty simple before. With each hike I do, I get rid of a little more stuff and it does not seem to come back again. I don't think the effect is universal. I know some thru hikers who are still consumers.

Powder River
03-08-2009, 21:49
I had stored all of my stuff in a basement during my hike, and when I got back I moved into a room upstairs. I have only carried up about half of that stuff, the rest of it is still packed away. I don't miss it!

On the other hand, hiking requires gear, and gear excites the half of my brain reserved for all forms of gadgetry. So, I would say the end result is a toss up.

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2009, 05:30
Our "thru hike" only lasted about 10 days due to injury. Then we took off on a 3 month long road/camping trip with not a lot more stuff than a hike required. When we got back and settled into a house again we were absolutely appalled at the amount of clothing we owned. We'd been wearing the same few items for 3 months and doing just fine and found ourselves surrounded by stacks of bins and boxes of clothing that we packed because we "couldn't live" without it all. It's all hung up and put in drawers but we both still tend to wear the same few items all the time.

camojack
03-09-2009, 06:45
Hey, I like my case of "affluenza"...but I think you're misapplying the term.

Affluence typically means wealthy; I'd say acquisitive (or materialistic) would be more apropos...

Bearpaw
03-09-2009, 09:03
For most of my early adult life, nearly everything I owned fit in a ruck and a seabag. When I got our of the Marine Corps at 27, all my worldly belongings fit in the back of my pickup truck. This was when I began the AT in 1999.

I made four moves, from NC to TN, TN to WY, WY back to NC, then NC to TN again, and every thing I owned fit into my jeep and a small U-haul trailer.

Now I'm married and our collective stuff won't fit into the largest U-haul truck available....

I'd give plenty to get rid of most of the stuff that burdens any move now.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 09:30
Why is it most hikers (including me) have more hiking gear than they can fit in ONE backpack?:-? And how many different packs are enough?

My gear would likely all fit in my two packs(a day pak and a larger one), mostly due to seasonal and group type gear with a few impulse purchased items, but I have a feeling there are some out there that couldn't fit all their hiking gear in that proverbial U-haul.

Not critizing, just observing. Don't ask about my garage full of golf clubs! [sigh]

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2009, 09:36
For most of my early adult life, nearly everything I owned fit in a ruck and a seabag. When I got our of the Marine Corps at 27, all my worldly belongings fit in the back of my pickup truck. This was when I began the AT in 1999.

I made four moves, from NC to TN, TN to WY, WY back to NC, then NC to TN again, and every thing I owned fit into my jeep and a small U-haul trailer.

Now I'm married and our collective stuff won't fit into the largest U-haul truck available....

I'd give plenty to get rid of most of the stuff that burdens any move now.

I hear that. When we got married at age 19 everything we owned fit into the tiniest U-Haul trailer available with room leftover. Now, 34 years later, it takes United Van Lines 2 days to pack it and load it into their semi truck and trailer - and that's after I get rid of tons of stuff before each move. :(

Tilly
03-09-2009, 09:44
Why is it most hikers (including me) have more hiking gear than they can fit in ONE backpack?:-? And how many different packs are enough?

My gear would likely all fit in my two packs(a day pak and a larger one), mostly due to seasonal and group type gear with a few impulse purchased items, but I have a feeling there are some out there that couldn't fit all their hiking gear in that proverbial U-haul.

Not critizing, just observing. Don't ask about my garage full of golf clubs! [sigh]

Well I also like to go camping, and I sure as hell am not sleeping on a ridgerest when camping! Bring on the 3 pound inflatable thermarests!
And a 7 pound double wall tent...etc.

When I get back from hiking this year I am in a unique position that I have to buy a bunch of stuff in order to have a functional household...kitchen utensils, towels, bedding, a phone, etc...