PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Trestles Trails sleeping bag

Powder River
03-08-2009, 22:23
http://marmot.com/spring_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/synthetic/trestles_trails_reg

Has anyone used this bag? I was looking for ways to increase my sleeping bag temp by 10-20 degrees, and the guy at the outfitter recommended this. I bought it, however ended up not having to use it in cold weather, so it is still in the packaging. Am contemplating whether to return it, or maybe I am on to something really good here? I cannot find too many reviews on it.

It is 1 lb, 4 ounces and is kind of like a sleeping bag version of a driclime windshirt (http://marmot.com/spring_2009/mens/outerwear/active/original_driclime_windshirt), which I own and is a fantastic piece of gear. It is just a shell with a driclime liner, no insulation. I remember reading somewhere it should be good down to 50 degrees. There is no hood, just a drawstring to gather that huge swath of material. It packs down about as small as my summer sleeping bag, and I suspect would be more comfortable. It seems it should make any winter bag warmer, though how much warmer is a good question. I'm hoping to hear from others who own it before cracking the seal. Thanks!

Wags
03-09-2009, 11:06
looks pretty neat. i finally broke down and got a driclime jacket this past week. i like it so far. can you call marmot and ask them if they can tell you how many degrees you can expect to get from adding it to your bag? may be an excellent summer bag and i somewhat resent you for posting it, as i now want to try it

Powder River
03-09-2009, 11:18
may be an excellent summer bag and i somewhat resent you for posting it, as i now want to try it

:D:D Hey as long as I can drag someone else into this it'll make ME feel better!

Wags
03-09-2009, 11:27
i'll buy it off you for $1 if you try it and don't like it :D

Morpheus
03-09-2009, 11:43
I used the Trestle trail bag inside my Hubba Hubba last September on the AT with thin longjohns. When the temp got below 50, with a breeze I started getting cold. I was not sure if it would be warm enough so I brought a survival blanket. 3 oz. Wow! What a difference. Like a toaster. Downside: noisy unless your camping alone & don't wrap it too tight or condensation builds up.
I broke down & got a WM Megalight for the next section, but honestly, the Trestle with the backup blanket could work for somebody that wants cheap & light.

randyg45
03-09-2009, 13:10
Morpheus, were you using any kind of pad?

Powder River
03-09-2009, 13:36
I used the Trestle trail bag inside my Hubba Hubba last September on the AT with thin longjohns. When the temp got below 50, with a breeze I started getting cold. I was not sure if it would be warm enough so I brought a survival blanket. 3 oz. Wow! What a difference. Like a toaster. Downside: noisy unless your camping alone & don't wrap it too tight or condensation builds up.
I broke down & got a WM Megalight for the next section, but honestly, the Trestle with the backup blanket could work for somebody that wants cheap & light.

I was under the impression that the shell was wind resistant. Was it any better than other bags you've tried? If it were windstopper-ish then I would be compelled to keep it.

Morpheus
03-09-2009, 19:00
The pad I was using is very similar to a short Thermarest Prolite 4. I got it cheap from a North Face outlet maybe 15 yrs. ago? Self inflating, probably about 1.2 lbs. I have switched to a Z lite regular to shave more weight and get more insulation under my legs. Just smooth out your sleeping surface and put dried leaves under your ground sheet (Tyvec) where you'll be lying to get a little more insulation and padding.
I usually wear light weight polypro @ night; mainly because I hate sticking to the bag liner after sweating all day. That said, I got cool about 3am and the solar blanket just laying over me was like being in a 20' bag.
I started backpacking in 1990 and used a Sierra Designs 0' Holofill bag for about three years. My section hikes have always been mid April and September r/t great daytime temps.
After that heavy bag I moved to a North Face Cat's meow 20'. Does the job, but the weight and bulk eventually got me to try the Trestle Trail which I believe would be a great lightweight summer bag, but I'm still enjoying Aprils & Septembers which can get below freezing up on mountains. Thus the WM Megalite.

Morpheus
03-10-2009, 19:04
Sorry Powder River. I didn't answer your question about wind resistance. Yes it is fairly wind resistant; much like a flannel lined windbreaker. The problem is heat loss r/t convection.
Thin insulation and open, unhooded design allows more heat loss from head and shoulders than mummy style bags.
Even though Western Mountaineering rates the Sycamore @ 25' and the Megalite @ 30', I bet for me personally I would find the Megalite warmer for the same open-end vs. mummy hood heat loss reasons. Even with a balaclava on.

Wags
03-10-2009, 20:45
powder just open that baby up already and give us a 2nd field report!!!
p.s. my offer is still on the table