PDA

View Full Version : Is This Enough

Pak-Man
03-09-2009, 11:27
Just a question on clothing. The wife and I have been out in the 20's but never had to prepare for GA in March.

We are taking off soon so the weather looks cold and wet...
My question is for those who have been in that enviroment before, Is this enough?

Mid weight poly long underwear
Cold gear under armor long sleeve

Thin hiking pants
fleece half zip

fleece pants
jacket liner military

Beanie hat
Poly gloves and ULA mitts

Pack cover
Dry ducks

thank you for your help with this..

DBD

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 11:31
Layers - light weight - sound like you've got the right clothing, but any extra light layers help and bring something you can keep dry if you plan to or need to make camp. Also a shelter. All of this is in reasonable packing weight and will make a big difference in your hike. :sun

NO_Turtle
03-09-2009, 11:35
This seems adequate to me. My only concern is that I have enough dry clothing when I get to camp so I can change into dry/warm clothes and hop in my bag if needed.

A pair of long jons, some warm socks. and a wool hat (an my 20 degree down bag) is all I need to stay warm in the shelter/tent.

McKeever
03-09-2009, 19:43
Balaclava's are very light, only cost a few dollars, and made all the difference in getting through a bad weather night. Check your online outfitters. Light weight insulated shell jackets also make a huge difference over most fleece in wind and take the place of heavy fleece. Wear the jackets over light fleece and dufold t's.

Feral Bill
03-09-2009, 19:51
Consider a light wool or fleece scarf. Lots of warmth for the weight.

Blissful
03-09-2009, 19:55
Need a good outer jacket. Fleece is not enough for March / April usually.
Also need shorts and t shirt.

March can vary as we have seen. In one week we went from a low of 12 to a high of 82.

Tinker
03-09-2009, 19:58
If you find your clothing isn't quite enough when you're not hiking, heat up some water and put it in a water bottle (make sure the bottle can handle the heat), and stick it inside your jacket or sleeping bag. I've slept in a 40 degree sleeping bag in 10 degree weather with a light polarguard jacket and a hot water bottle.
It might just make an otherwise unbearable night bearable.
I'd add a light synthetic jacket or a 300 wt. fleece vest to your ensemble for 20 degree weather. Remember windchill (and dampness) can make it feel much colder.
Have fun. :)

hopefulhiker
03-09-2009, 19:58
I always kept a down sweater dry for camp use only.

garlic08
03-09-2009, 20:03
You didn't mention how warm your sleeping system (bag, pad, shelter) is. It should keep you comfortable to 20F, and survivable to 10F this time of year.

As long as you're moving, what you have sounds fine. Worst case is you get a little damp with everything on and you have to make camp on some snow and in some wind with 15F temps overnight (happened twice to me in April last year). Can you make a comfortable camp?

Last minute before I left I added a down vest and was glad I did.

JAK
03-10-2009, 07:53
Sounds good. I use an ounce for every degree below 85F as a rule of thumb. That is the total weight of all clothing insulation, like fleece, wool, down, not counting rain and wind shells. You might count the hiking pants as 4oz of insulation, even though its more of a shell. So with 3 pounds of layers, that you can wear evenly all at once, plus you rain or wind shells on top of that, you should be good sitting and standing around at 21F. If you get wet feet or clothing you might have to move around a bit until you get dry. If it gets colder, you can't stay still for too long and probably should have brought more. ;)

JAK
03-10-2009, 07:55
Sorry did I say 3 pounds. I should have said 4 pounds for 21F, not counting shells.

Jayboflavin04
03-10-2009, 10:30
Review this one: First week of april allens gap to erwin:

Columbia poly mid weight base layer
3 total pairs socks.
zip off leg style pants
North face beanie
OR Ion windshirt
Montbell UL down jacket
Marmot Precip top/bottom
HS Tarptent
WM Ultralite
Prolite 3
Columbia Titanium Poly T
Ti-goat bivy (extreme weather snap or extreme wet weather)